[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 79417 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
While the following scenario doesn't deal with MU, it most definitely deals with white privilege (and discrimination) and the way it is institutionalized:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article213862554.html?#emlnl=Business_Newsletter&id=bWlrZW5hZGVsQHNiY2dsb2JhbC5uZXQ=

The lead:

Bank of America intentionally failed to maintain homes it foreclosed on in black and Latino neighborhoods across dozens of U.S. markets, while consistently caring for similar properties in white neighborhoods, according to a federal lawsuit filed this week.

BoA is denying it, of course; they always do. They'll have a chance to prove if the case is without merit.

Help me understand this one though: doesn't letting property you (BoA) own fall into disrepair ultimately simply hurt the resale value and thus your profits?  Is this an allocation of capital thing that they are calculating that with limited resources it is more profitable to maintain some houses rather than others??  In other words, if the cost to maintain the house > than the amount by which the price will decline, then they don't bother?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:09:03 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #751 on: June 27, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
Yeah, if we're going to unpackage the Star Wars stuff we are going to end up down a very tangent path but it is a very interesting reflection of our current environment.

*Noted for the record, I am an unrepentant Star Wars nerd.

I think it's far to characterize Star Wars fandom into the following groups:
1. Outright racists, misogynist and any other ist that isn't white male
2. People who hate that Star Wars is "corporate"
3. People with legitimate creative objections to the direction of Star Wars or with particular characters, etc
4. People who like/love the current and past content

It's hard to tell what the breakdown of the groups is percentage wise but part of the issue is there are people in multiple camps and generically content creators/Lucasfilm are treating anyone in group 3 as if they are part of group 1. Mix in the complete $hitshow that is social media for these elements and it makes it a mess. If you removed the social media aspect, I truly believe things aren't nearly as toxic as they appear (or at least as universally toxic).

There's obviously nothing wrong with being in group three, and people in that group ought to feel free to criticize/object/complain to their heart's content without being disparaged as basement-dwelling neckbearbs. Or, better yet, simply voting with their dollars.
But with nerd culture in general, and Star Wars in particular, there seems to be a deeply ingrained sense of entitlement among many of the critics. The complaints seem to go well beyond simply disagreeing with the creative choice. It's more like outright anger that the creative choices are different from the ones they would have made, and those differences are a personal affront.

Like fans of anything (sports, music, etc.) fans take some sense of ownership in the product, and that's normal and fine. But the sense of ownership among some of these people in particular seems way outsized.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »
There's obviously nothing wrong with being in group three, and people in that group ought to feel free to criticize/object/complain to their heart's content without being disparaged as basement-dwelling neckbearbs. Or, better yet, simply voting with their dollars.
But with nerd culture in general, and Star Wars in particular, there seems to be a deeply ingrained sense of entitlement among many some of the critics. The complaints seem to go well beyond simply disagreeing with the creative choice. It's more like outright anger that the creative choices are different from the ones they would have made, and those differences are a personal affront.

Like fans of anything (sports, music, etc.) fans take some sense of ownership in the product, and that's normal and fine. But the sense of ownership among some of these people in particular seems way outsized.
I made what I think is a fix, but I guess we really don't know especially with the internet involved (how many trolls take over the basketball page during the season around here?). One of the defining characteristics of Star Wars fandom(in my experience) is debate/discussion of what everything means which I think is some of this but it's also that taken to a bad extreme.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #753 on: June 27, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
Help me understand this one though: doesn't letting property you (BoA) own fall into disrepair ultimately simply hurt the resale value and thus your profits?  Is this an allocation of capital thing that they are calculating that with limited resources it is more profitable to maintain some houses rather than others??  In other words, if the cost to maintain the house > than the amount by which the price will decline, then they don't bother?

It is certainly closer to the truth than the folks who say it is pure racism.  You are talking about a significant part of Glow's professional expertise here (although he dealt more with commercial collateral than home foreclosures).
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #754 on: June 27, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
I agree with what you're saying. But as far as what a respectful and acceptable Compromise we may disagree. To me, life is better knowing I didn't make someone else's day worse because I wanted to tell an off color joke in front of them, that being said in front of close friends where you all understand each other's humor I'm all for anything goes humor. I think an issue generally starts on social media (or message boards) where people don't understand where everyone is coming from and some would rather fight for the right to retain off humor rather than accept that the world isn't filled with people who you have over for a party and some are thick skinned some are thin.

That being said I agree there are some aspects of that sensitive culture that have gotten ridiculous.

thanks bags, the way you go about respectfully seeing my point without denigrating me personally is a refreshing approach on this board for a change.  as for your point, i absolutely agree that people need to have some self control.  know when to tell the off color joke or as chick pointed out, know someone well enough to ask an honest question.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #755 on: June 27, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »

Hmmm. Interesting thoughts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #756 on: June 27, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
Yes. People can be racist against their own race.
From my perspective this is true. I feel more comfortable with white pilots and I definitely walk on the other side of the street when I see someone from my own race with a certain street punk type look.

On the other hand I do not trust the white police at all. I do everything I can not to provoke them. I always use cruise control when on highways for example.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #757 on: June 27, 2018, 11:08:08 PM »
From my perspective this is true. I feel more comfortable with white pilots and I definitely walk on the other side of the street when I see someone from my own race with a certain street punk type look.

On the other hand I do not trust the white police at all. I do everything I can not to provoke them. I always use cruise control when on highways for example.

Wow.

Do you ever see a white person with a "certain street punk type look"? And if so, do you "walk on the other side of the street"?

Do you trust the black police?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #758 on: June 27, 2018, 11:48:08 PM »

So blacks are too stupid to be pilots?

Sorry, but I think you are a liar and a fraud.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
So blacks are too stupid to be pilots?

Sorry, but I think you are a liar and a fraud.
I am from the old school and believe in all the stereotypes until proven wrong . I learned that people hold these feelings inside anyway. So I don't get all riled up and offended the way the guilty white folk do.

That is how I live my life and it has served me very well.

I have a lot of friends, a great family, done well for the community and  achieved considerable wealth. Never once had to rely on a minority set aside or affirmative action or any of that crap.

Work hard and treat people fairly.  Everyone needs to get over their guilt and go about their daily business.   
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #760 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
I am from the old school and believe in all the stereotypes until proven wrong . I learned that people hold these feelings inside anyway. So I don't get all riled up and offended the way the guilty white folk do.

That is how I live my life and it has served me very well.

I have a lot of friends, a great family, done well for the community and  achieved considerable wealth. Never once had to rely on a minority set aside or affirmative action or any of that crap.

Work hard and treat people fairly.  Everyone needs to get over their guilt and go about their daily business.

There's a few girls you got drunk you should feel guilty about
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #761 on: June 28, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
Work hard and treat people fairly, get girls drunk to have unprotected sex, make sock puppets to agree with myself.

Fixed it for you.  What a fake.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
  would this be a modern day example of "white privilege"?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23938797/chris-bosio-says-was-sued-tigers-misunderstanding

there has got to be more to this story- either bosio is lying or people in the clubhouse are lying or they needed a reason they felt would hold up to public scrutiny so they could get rid of bosio? the boz has been involved with MLB since 1986 without incident as far as i know

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #763 on: June 28, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
  would this be a modern day example of "white privilege"?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23938797/chris-bosio-says-was-sued-tigers-misunderstanding

there has got to be more to this story- either bosio is lying or people in the clubhouse are lying or they needed a reason they felt would hold up to public scrutiny so they could get rid of bosio? the boz has been involved with MLB since 1986 without incident as far as i know

Please explain why you think this would be an example of white privilege? What "privilege" is Bosio receiving as a result of his skin color?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #764 on: June 28, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Please explain why you think this would be an example of white privilege? What "privilege" is Bosio receiving as a result of his skin color?

You know what one of these ? Means, right?  No further questions... :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #765 on: June 28, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »
I am from the old school and believe in all the stereotypes until proven wrong .

You are from the old interwebs school of being a make-believe person.

Several of us suspected as much. This clinches it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #766 on: June 28, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »

It is not an example of white privilege. I’m not sure yet what it is an example of.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #767 on: June 28, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »

Um. Okay. Thanks for the punctuation lesson.

Now, I'll fix it in the event that you want to respond and have a real conversation.

Please explain why you think this would be an example of white privilege. What "privilege" is Bosio receiving as a result of his skin color?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #768 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:05 PM »
You are from the old interwebs school of being a make-believe person.

Several of us suspected as much. This clinches it.
You hold yourself out as a pious person yet you literally peed your pants when the neighbors put Christmas ornaments on their tree. I am willing to admit to my prejudices.

---Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #769 on: June 28, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
You hold yourself out as a pious person yet you literally peed your pants when the neighbors put Christmas ornaments on their tree. I am willing to admit to my prejudices.

Do you have any prejudices about girls you feed alcohol so you can take them back to your place?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #770 on: June 28, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »
Um. Okay. Thanks for the punctuation lesson.

Now, I'll fix it in the event that you want to respond and have a real conversation.

you asked me to explain why this would be an example of "white privilege".  i never said it was an example of "white privilege"  i was asking the question myself and sully actually gave me his opinion at least.

for me, if this is "white privilege", i don't want any part of it.  i guess boz should learn how to either check out his surroundings before speaking or not talk so loud, eyn'er there jes baby?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #771 on: June 28, 2018, 07:59:08 PM »
you asked me to explain why this would be an example of "white privilege".  i never said it was an example of "white privilege"  i was asking the question myself and sully actually gave me his opinion at least.

for me, if this is "white privilege", i don't want any part of it.  i guess boz should learn how to either check out his surroundings before speaking or not talk so loud, eyn'er there jes baby?

My apologies. I thought your original question was implying that you believed it was white privilege.

No. This is not white privilege.

And if you're questioning if it's white privilege - and you really weren't sure - then I don't think you understand at all what this is about.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:14:14 PM by jesmu84 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #772 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:11 PM »

1. You obviously don't know the meaning of the word "literally."

2. It was our tree not theirs.

3. You are not a real person.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #773 on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
1. You obviously don't know the meaning of the word "literally."

2. It was our tree not theirs.

3. You are not a real person.
Doesn’t matter whose tree it was . You were biased against Christ. You had other problems with prayer on your basketball team and your a self admitted athiest.  Just admit you have your set of issues before you cast aspersions on others.

Also I don’t need anyone’s charity. Nobody ever gave me any and I am better off for it. George Bush 43 was correct in describing the “soft bigotry of low expectations”. That is what all you white  liberals have when it comes to your patronizing and idle chatter about white privilege.

Ps Sherrif David Clarke is an American hero in my book. He tells it like it is.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #774 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
Doesn’t matter whose tree it was . You were biased against Christ. You had other problems with prayer on your basketball team and your a self admitted athiest.  Just admit you have your set of issues before you cast aspersions on others.

Also I don’t need anyone’s charity. Nobody ever gave me any and I am better off for it. George Bush 43 was correct in describing the “soft bigotry of low expectations”. That is what all you white  liberals have when it comes to your patronizing and idle chatter about white privilege.

Ps Sherrif David Clarke is an American hero in my book. He tells it like it is.

Yeah you’re trying too hard.

feedback