[Today at 02:02:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:59:35 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 79337 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
Thank God Marquette is going to create more safe spaces. The white man's hubris is ubiquitous.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
I think the university response so far has been appropriate. Unfortunately, there's not much the university can do in these cases. Sending out racist pictures is not a violation of the student rules. You can condemn it, but you can't punish it. Hard place for Lovell to be in. One side is screaming "this is PC BS" and the other side is screaming "crucify them", neither one is correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Didn't know we are ALL hillbillies. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
I think the "author" of that completely "objective" article might want to lay off the use of "quote" marks just "a little."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
Just felt myself get dumber and sadder for having read that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »
Is this the summary?

* 3 randoms and one MU student take a stupid picture that has a toy black doll and guns.  (whatever the hell that means.) 
* Picture is a year old.
* Picture was taken out of state, so 100+ miles away from campus.
* Some group holds a forum about race and respect at MU that irks people
* Also of note, this tweet which doesn't make sense, but one would think violates student conduct code:  https://twitter.com/SaintSamantha1/status/989368373262868480

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
Solutions looking for a problem.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
Dr. Lovell may possess Catholic spiritual purity but he lacks backbone. Can Fr. Wild be recycled one more time?
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Dr. Lovell may possess Catholic spiritual purity but he lacks backbone.

Explain.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
Is this the summary?

* 3 randoms and one MU student take a stupid picture that has a toy black doll and guns.  (whatever the hell that means.) 
* Picture is a year old.
* Picture was taken out of state, so 100+ miles away from campus.
* Some group holds a forum about race and respect at MU that irks people
* Also of note, this tweet which doesn't make sense, but one would think violates student conduct code https://twitter.com/SaintSamantha1/status/989368373262868480

How does it violate the student conduct code?
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
Yeah I’m not exactly sure what Marquette did wrong here.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
Put an Arby's on every corner.  Micromeat spaces raise all tides.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
How does it violate the student conduct code?

Hmmm .. telling the President of the University to go f*ck themselves in a public forum ..

How about ..

"Physically or verbally abusing or threatening any person, on or off the campus, including especially such persons as student staff and Marquette University Police Department officers."

Or ..

"Participating in .. harassment, which includes actions or situations that do or could result in mental, emotional or physical discomfort, embarrassment, ridicule or endangerment whether intentionally, for fun or by consent."

Now, Lovell is a big boy and can take it, but frankly, I'd prefer zero students who post such a thing ever proudly hoist a MU diploma. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
Hmmm .. telling the President of the University to go f*ck themselves in a public forum ..

How about ..

"Physically or verbally abusing or threatening any person, on or off the campus, including especially such persons as student staff and Marquette University Police Department officers."

Or ..

"Participating in .. harassment, which includes actions or situations that do or could result in mental, emotional or physical discomfort, embarrassment, ridicule or endangerment whether intentionally, for fun or by consent."

Now, Lovell is a big boy and can take it, but frankly, I'd prefer zero students who post such a thing ever proudly hoist a MU diploma.

So students can't have opinions? Right or wrong that ain't even close to anything that would warrant suspension or expulsion.

I like Lovell a lot, and as you said he's a big boy. How many times have we told people to eff themselves? I probably yell it in my car on a daily basis. Never directly to a person but that's really no different than twitter.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
There was one crummy incident, which the university called out immediately as unacceptable.  If there other specific incidents or biases, then they should identify them specifically so everyone at the university can put an end to it immediately.  Crying about "white privilege" and labeling (unnamed) students as racist hillbillies only serves to further divide.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »
So students can't have opinions? Right or wrong that ain't even close to anything that would warrant suspension or expulsion.

I didn't say anything remotely near "students can't have opinions."   Being disrespectful in the extreme, especially in a public forum, is a clear conduct violation.

I like Lovell a lot, and as you said he's a big boy. How many times have we told people to eff themselves? I probably yell it in my car on a daily basis. Never directly to a person but that's really no different than twitter.

Twitter is a public forum, not in the same universe as yelling inside your car.

Telling a teacher, principal, director, chair, president, or your boss to go f*ck themselves, especially publicly, is not -- or should not be -- without consequence.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »

How about ..

Or ..

Sorry to tell you, but if you punished a student for this that would result in the world's easiest lawsuit. That is free speech. Its douchey free speech but free speech none the less.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »
There was one crummy incident, which the university called out immediately as unacceptable.  If there other specific incidents or biases, then they should identify them specifically so everyone at the university can put an end to it immediately.  Crying about "white privilege" and labeling (unnamed) students as racist hillbillies only serves to further divide.

White privilege is an actual thing though.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
Is it?

All white people are privileged?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Sorry to tell you, but if you punished a student for this that would result in the world's easiest lawsuit. That is free speech. Its douchey free speech but free speech none the less.

The light of day is the best punishment. The police - not MU - should name the student who did this.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »

While I agree with the 1st two sentences, I think your last one seems to say that you don't think white privilege occurs. What is your rationale? There is almost unlimited proof that it does exist.

If I am misunderstanding what you are saying, feel free to point that out.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »

Marquette is a private institution, not bound by the 1st amendment.    Google tells me so: "Private universities are not directly bound by the First Amendment, which limits only government action."

I'm happy to be schooled by a real lawyer, if any would like to chime in.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Can anyone explain why the picture was that racially charged?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
Is it?

All white people are privileged?

Can you walk into a store without being followed or watched?  Can you go to Starbucks for a business meeting without being asked to leave and have the police called? 

You can.  This is what White privilege means.  You have the privilege of walking around without suspicion, and generally speaking being White affords you privileges that others are not.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/gina-crosleycorcoran/explaining-white-privilege-to-a-broke-white-person_b_5269255.html

feedback