[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: High School Athlete Consequences  (Read 12809 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
High School Athlete Consequences
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:41:49 AM »
Since many people on this board are in tune with, involved or follow student athletics, I thought this would be an interesting topic to get opinions on here.  Especially since I’m assuming the median household income is probably higher than the general public as well, and that may also play into these decisions.

A student athlete at Arrowhead high school was suspended for four games for hosting a party in which some of the kids were consuming alcohol.  After losing on appeal, they are now suing the school, the district, etc. to reverse the decision based on the students constitutional rights being violated.

I just can’t wrap my head around what these parents are thinking.  The rules are pretty clear on underage drinking in our society and in code of conduct policies at our schools.   If you are hosting a party where there is underage drinking, I cannot imagine any situation in which the host is not held responsible, even if they didn’t supply the alcohol.  In fact, I’m surprised the students who attended but weren’t drinking were not also facing some sort of consequence as well. 

How did we end up at the point where student's parents sue the school for handing out consequences for breaking rules and making poor decisions?  It’s bad enough when you have some parents who don’t hold their children responsible for their actions, but to take it a step further by trying to block the school from doing so as well shows me the lengths some parents go to “protect” their children from learning the hard lessons of life.

Do you disagree with me?  I’d love to hear your logic.

The original story:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/lake-country/crime/2018/05/01/arrowhead-high-school-student-suing-district-over-soccer-suspension/565302002/

jesmu84

• All American
Re: High School Athlete Consequences
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Since many people on this board are in tune with, involved or follow student athletics, I thought this would be an interesting topic to get opinions on here.  Especially since I’m assuming the median household income is probably higher than the general public as well, and that may also play into these decisions.

A student athlete at Arrowhead high school was suspended for four games for hosting a party in which some of the kids were consuming alcohol.  After losing on appeal, they are now suing the school, the district, etc. to reverse the decision based on the students constitutional rights being violated.

I just can’t wrap my head around what these parents are thinking.  The rules are pretty clear on underage drinking in our society and in code of conduct policies at our schools.   If you are hosting a party where there is underage drinking, I cannot imagine any situation in which the host is not held responsible, even if they didn’t supply the alcohol.  In fact, I’m surprised the students who attended but weren’t drinking were not also facing some sort of consequence as well. 

How did we end up at the point where student's parents sue the school for handing out consequences for breaking rules and making poor decisions?  It’s bad enough when you have some parents who don’t hold their children responsible for their actions, but to take it a step further by trying to block the school from doing so as well shows me the lengths some parents go to “protect” their children from learning the hard lessons of life.

Do you disagree with me?  I’d love to hear your logic.

The original story:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/lake-country/crime/2018/05/01/arrowhead-high-school-student-suing-district-over-soccer-suspension/565302002/

I'm totally okay with the punishment. And, I agree with you that it is the correct action.

However, look around our society. There are an ungodly amount of examples of similar situations with adults where those in charge, whether with or without knowledge of underlings actions, skate by without consequence. Corporate CEOs, government administrators, college administrators, college coaches, etc, etc. It used to be "well, I didn't know it was happening.." (plausible deniability). Luckily, at least for college coaches, they've now used institutional control as a guideline.

If you were the kid, or the kid's parents, why should you absorb a punishment that others routinely avoid?

We've got quite the double-standard

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
1. I have zero-doubt that the high school likely applies its athletic code in an inconsistent manner.

2. That being said, while this offense was not specifically outlined in the code of conduct, it was obviously within the spirit of the code.

3. Suing is a ridiculous over-reaction.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
Make the drinking age 18 like the rest of the world.
Thats all I got for this thread.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:56 AM »
I'm totally okay with the punishment. And, I agree with you that it is the correct action.

However, look around our society. There are an ungodly amount of examples of similar situations with adults where those in charge, whether with or without knowledge of underlings actions, skate by without consequence. Corporate CEOs, government administrators, college administrators, college coaches, etc, etc. It used to be "well, I didn't know it was happening.." (plausible deniability). Luckily, at least for college coaches, they've now used institutional control as a guideline.

If you were the kid, or the kid's parents, why should you absorb a punishment that others routinely avoid?

We've got quite the double-standard

Maybe this is actually the real problem.  Instead of thinking in terms of right and wrong, too many think in terms of what can they get away with vs what are there consequences for.  Thus, people who think along those lines, who may be those in positions of power in their own lives, extend that to their children.   If that's the case, I can only imagine situations like those you speak of become more and more frequent as these children become the leaders in the future.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
I see they have a famous lawyer.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Yeah man, 100% four burnin' dem a knew won. O, butt if kin are involved, dat's a horse of another color. Dey wereant drinkin', just present. Don't touch mine 'cuz don't wanna negatively affect da college app. Parents, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
Not stated, but were the girl and parents cited for hosting an underage party where alcohol was available?  Many states have this criminal law now. If so, that was why she too was suspended. The article is hazy how the school found out about the party. It sounds like the po-po was involved.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
It's Arrowhead, so that tells you something about the students/parents involved.  This is a great example of white, upper-middle-class privilege.  Every single time I hear a story about a high school drinking party (including one that got a huge portion of the junior class at the school where I teach suspended), it is always rich white families who just assume that they can get away with everything.  On top of that, the whole idea of "suing the school" is an option that is only available to the most affluent of parents.  This is a crap lawsuit.  Take your suspension, learn your lesson, and don't let underage kids drink in your house anymore (that's on the parents).

The only privilege stronger in schools than white-rich privilege is really-good-athlete privilege, but that's another story entirely.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
White lives matter too, you know.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
It's Arrowhead, so that tells you something about the students/parents involved.  This is a great example of white, upper-middle-class privilege.  Every single time I hear a story about a high school drinking party (including one that got a huge portion of the junior class at the school where I teach suspended), it is always rich white families who just assume that they can get away with everything.  On top of that, the whole idea of "suing the school" is an option that is only available to the most affluent of parents.  This is a crap lawsuit.  Take your suspension, learn your lesson, and don't let underage kids drink in your house anymore (that's on the parents).

The only privilege stronger in schools than white-rich privilege is really-good-athlete privilege, but that's another story entirely.

Yup

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/us/ethan-couch-affluenza-jail.html

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
This kind of silliness isn't exclusive to sports parents.
A family in suburban Chicago is suing their 9-year-old's school district because he was banned from a geography bee for cheating.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180412/lawsuit-against-oak-brook-schools-over-geography-bee-headed-to-trial

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
I'm totally fine with the punishment. I was a high school athlete and we all knew you just didn't go to (much less host) parties where there was a chance of booze being present, because everyone knew that getting caught meant you couldn't play, whether you were drinking or not. At my school, merely being in the same room was enough to sit you for a few games. Drinking parties were for summertime, not during the school year or sports season.

Parents need to get over it. Kid got caught, she has to do her time. 4 games isn't the end of the world. Good learning opportunity for the kid. What constitutional rights are being violated? High school sports are a privilege, not a right.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:55:04 AM by Coleman »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
This kind of silliness isn't exclusive to sports parents.
A family in suburban Chicago is suing their 9-year-old's school district because he was banned from a geography bee for cheating.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180412/lawsuit-against-oak-brook-schools-over-geography-bee-headed-to-trial

Humorous .. a couple months ago was my son's GeoBee.  They sat the contestants too close together. 

There were a couple kids that were peeking at the kids next to them for answers .. this cheating was clear and oddly humorous to the audience, as it was on full display .. but the judges were off to the side and likely didn't see.

In the end it wasn't an issue .. the cheaters didn't win (cough, my son did, cough.)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
Did da udder kids get da Riley Crean Participation Award doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
Did da udder kids get da Riley Crean Participation Award doe, hey?

FFS, do you have to bring Crean up in every topic?  I know you have an unnatural obsession with the dude but cmon...

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
Humorous .. a couple months ago was my son's GeoBee.  They sat the contestants too close together. 

There were a couple kids that were peeking at the kids next to them for answers .. this cheating was clear and oddly humorous to the audience, as it was on full display .. but the judges were off to the side and likely didn't see.

In the end it wasn't an issue .. the cheaters didn't win (cough, my son did, cough.)

Congrats.
Sadly, when I was in school, I didn't qualify for either the Spelling Bee or the GeoBee. Had to settle for this:
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
Maybe this is actually the real problem.  Instead of thinking in terms of right and wrong, too many think in terms of what can they get away with vs what are there consequences for.  Thus, people who think along those lines, who may be those in positions of power in their own lives, extend that to their children.   If that's the case, I can only imagine situations like those you speak of become more and more frequent as these children become the leaders in the future.

You basically just described Kohlbergs Theory of Moral Reasoning. An alarming number of people get stuck in the earliest stages of moral development

https://www.education.com/reference/article/kohlbergs-moral-reasoning/
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Can't help but laugh at the replies here.

A girl who did not consume a drop of alcohol is suspended and everyone here is fine with it.

I guess the law and order people are back.  ::)

Pathetic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
Can't help but laugh at the replies here.

A girl who did not consume a drop of alcohol is suspended and everyone here is fine with it.

I guess the law and order people are back.  ::)

Pathetic.

It’s pretty standard in high school codes of conduct that you can’t host a drinking party where underage people are drinking.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »

It’s pretty standard in high school codes of conduct that you can’t host a drinking party where underage people are drinking.

You're making things up. She did not host a drinking party. There were 12 guests and 4 brought alcohol - no one else consumed any.

From the replies here, I think most would prefer that she narc'ed on those 4.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

You're making things up. She did not host a drinking party. There were 12 guests and 4 brought alcohol - no one else consumed any.

"Narc" sure...  or you know, tell those 4 people she doesn't want to get in trouble and to get rid of it?  We all know these kids are aware that what they were doing was not ok, and they chose to do it anyway.  Most of us probably made similar poor decisions and may or may not have gotten caught.  Regardless, there are consequences.  They should accept those consequences and learn something from them, not file a lawsuit.  What lesson is that teaching them instead?   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

Uh. How am I making things up?  She had a party at her house where others were drinking.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »

Uh. How am I making things up?  She had a party at her house where others were drinking.

We know you are in trouble when you need to parse words.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »
"Narc" sure...  or you know, tell those 4 people she doesn't want to get in trouble and to get rid of it?  We all know these kids are aware that what they were doing was not ok, and they chose to do it anyway.  Most of us probably made similar poor decisions and may or may not have gotten caught.  Regardless, there are consequences.  They should accept those consequences and learn something from them, not file a lawsuit.  What lesson is that teaching them instead?

And if they didn't get rid of it?

feedback