collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: High School Athlete Consequences  (Read 12812 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: High School Athlete Consequences
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
We know you are in trouble when you need to parse words.

I’m not in trouble and I’m not parsing words. I literally said what she did. Twice now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
And if they didn't get rid of it?

Say "Get out of my house."

Most high school and college alcohol policies say that if you are in the same room as people consuming alcohol underage that you can be held responsible. She violated the rule.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
And if they didn't get rid of it?

Well we can go into all sorts of what if scenarios here.  What if they did?  What if she associated with friends who listened to her?  What if she had parents that she could be upfront with and talk to for guidance if they didn't get rid of it?  We can play this game all night.

More important are the facts that we know.  We know she hosted a party where kids were drinking.  That by itself has always had repercussions.  It's my belief that good parenting does not involve suing the school when their kid gets caught breaking the code of conduct that was agreed to.  It's not like the kid is going to jail or getting expelled from school... she is being kept out of 4 soccer games.  I believe parents should be teaching their children to accept the consequences of their actions. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »
Can't help but laugh at the replies here.

A girl who did not consume a drop of alcohol is suspended and everyone here is fine with it.

I guess the law and order people are back.  ::)

Pathetic.

If you are driving a car, and someone else has an open alcohol container, you get arrested for an open container.  Same thing if someone has crack on them.  You get arrested for possession.

If people are doing illegal activities in your car/house, you are responsible, even if you didn't do anything.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Well we can go into all sorts of what if scenarios here.  What if they did?  What if she associated with friends who listened to her?  What if she had parents that she could be upfront with and talk to for guidance if they didn't get rid of it?  We can play this game all night.

More important are the facts that we know.  We know she hosted a party where kids were drinking.  That by itself has always had repercussions.  It's my belief that good parenting does not involve suing the school when their kid gets caught breaking the code of conduct that was agreed to.  It's not like the kid is going to jail or getting expelled from school... she is being kept out of 4 soccer games.  I believe parents should be teaching their children to accept the consequences of their actions.

And teaching her what to do differently next time, so that she doesn't get suspended.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
Words have meanings and there are consequences for one's actions. This isn't very hard unless you're hellbent on being ignorant for ignorant sake.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »
Yeah man, 100% four burnin' dem a knew won. O, butt if kin are involved, dat's a horse of another color. Dey wereant drinkin', just present. Don't touch mine 'cuz don't wanna negatively affect da college app. Parents, hey?

I have no idea what this says, but I'm sure I agree with every word (at least the parts that are actual words).

Seriously, I have little to no sympathy for those facing the consequences. Suing is absolutely ridiculous and I hope the lawsuit doesn't get dismissed immediately so the parents have a bunch of legal costs to pay.

And yes, I imagine the reactions of some folks (not necessarily here on Scoop but in the community there) would be different if the offending parties were not lily-white.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Chalk me up as also thinking the school meted out the right sentence.

She wasn't kicked off the team, she was suspended for 4 games.  Heavens to Betsy, what an injustice, call the lawyers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »
Kids will be kids.  And actions  have consequences.  And lessons need to be learned.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
Kids will be kids.  And actions  have consequences.  And lessons need to be learned.
Depends who you are.

But, generally, actions SHOULD have consequences

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
And yes, I imagine the reactions of some folks (not necessarily here on Scoop but in the community there) would be different if the offending parties were not lily-white.

There’s a couple of ways to take that. Curious what you meant by that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
There’s a couple of ways to take that. Curious what you meant by that.

I mean plenty of white folks in a ritzy community would be shaking their heads at black athletes who were suspended for the exact same reason. Probably some of the same folks who are suing here.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:19 PM »
I mean plenty of white folks in a ritzy community would be shaking their heads at black athletes who were suspended for the exact same reason. Probably some of the same folks who are suing here.

Nothing worse than stupid people with money. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »

on the flip side is the kid from Milwaukee that got to play in the state tournament while he was waiting for his sentencing for felony armed robbery.

http://www.wisn.com/article/convicted-felon-will-participate-in-state-basketball-tournament/18929984

I'm guessing this dude was more important to his basketball team than the girl was to her soccer team.

For the record, IMO both of them should have been suspended.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
on the flip side is the kid from Milwaukee that got to play in the state tournament while he was waiting for his sentencing for felony armed robbery.

http://www.wisn.com/article/convicted-felon-will-participate-in-state-basketball-tournament/18929984

I'm guessing this dude was more important to his basketball team than the girl was to her soccer team.

For the record, IMO both of them should have been suspended.

Based on the little bit I know about each situation (just from reading the links provided here), your conclusion seems correct.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
It is none of the school's business what I am doing during non-school hours at a non-school function.  That's my take on the situation.

When I was in high school a million years ago, a gym teacher at our school saw me (age 16) and a few of my 17 year old teammates in a bar (I didn't turn 17 my senior year until second half of school year).  Drinking age was 18 but the world was a lot less strict about everything back then (late 70s).  He told our basketball coach.  No suspensions.  Coach called a practice for 7 AM New Year's day and ran us like dogs for two hours.  He was obviously hungover himself (I'd bet he rolled straight in from a New Year's Eve party himself).  I'll admit it didn't teach me any lessons, but it did keep me from drinking on New Year's Eve.  During my senior year of high school there was at least beer at every party, often with parents in attendance or at least aware of it.  Much different world now.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
It is none of the school's business what I am doing during non-school hours at a non-school function.  That's my take on the situation.

When I was in high school a million years ago, a gym teacher at our school saw me (age 16) and a few of my 17 year old teammates in a bar (I didn't turn 17 my senior year until second half of school year).  Drinking age was 18 but the world was a lot less strict about everything back then (late 70s).  He told our basketball coach.  No suspensions.  Coach called a practice for 7 AM New Year's day and ran us like dogs for two hours.  He was obviously hungover himself (I'd bet he rolled straight in from a New Year's Eve party himself).  I'll admit it didn't teach me any lessons, but it did keep me from drinking on New Year's Eve.  During my senior year of high school there was at least beer at every party, often with parents in attendance or at least aware of it.  Much different world now.

So you think that the guy that was waiting for his armed robbery sentence should have been eligible?  Unless he robbed the school or was cutting class to rob the place it would be none of the schools business, based on your reasoning. 

As for your drinking stories, I think that just goes to show how we as a society have grown more strict about underage drinking (as we should have) as I can say that if that happened today, if your only reprimand was running and the coach knew that, he would be fired if the administration found out.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
Chalk me up as also thinking the school meted out the right sentence.

She wasn't kicked off the team, she was suspended for 4 games.  Heavens to Betsy, what an injustice, call the lawyers.

Agreed. The punishment is really a slap on the wrist. And will be concluded before they even see a judge. 4 games is like 2 weeks. Nothing on her permanent record. No school suspension. Nothing that will impact her future (college, jobs, etc.)

It is a relatively light punishment, which is appropriate for the action in question.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »

Generally, you're correct of course. Except that student athletes agree to a code of conduct which includes things off premises and during non-school hours.

Playing high school sports is a privilege. You are held to a higher standard than a normal student.

Call me old school, but when I played HS sports I knew I was representing the name on that jersey at all times. I took pride in that. And if I messed up (which of course I did, I was a teenager), I owned up to it. I didn't get my parents to sue the school.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:53:00 AM by Coleman »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
It's Arrowhead, so that tells you something about the students/parents involved.  This is a great example of white, upper-middle-class privilege.  Every single time I hear a story about a high school drinking party (including one that got a huge portion of the junior class at the school where I teach suspended), it is always rich white families who just assume that they can get away with everything.  On top of that, the whole idea of "suing the school" is an option that is only available to the most affluent of parents.  This is a crap lawsuit.  Take your suspension, learn your lesson, and don't let underage kids drink in your house anymore (that's on the parents).

The only privilege stronger in schools than white-rich privilege is really-good-athlete privilege, but that's another story entirely.

My daughter is a junior at Arrowhead.  She played/plays two sports.  I don't know who this student is or even if I know the family.

As soon as I saw the headline a few days ago my only thought was, "here we go again".  I'd like to think it might say something about me but I've never had contact with parents that fit the stereotype that every single person outside of Hartland/Merton think every Arrowhead parent is like.  It might also have something to do with the fact, although we are not poor by nearly any definition, that I don't live on a lake and every vehicle we own is at least 11 years old with at least 150,000 miles on it.

I'm not sure what goes through the minds of parents who would bring a suit like this.  Maybe they think their daughter is good enough to get a soccer scholarship and the mean old Arrowhead administration is ripping from her mitts.  I'm not suggesting that is a legitimate reason for the lawsuit, I'm just trying to comprehend the situation.

I have no point to this post other than to say, we aren't all like what you think we are like.  Carry on.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

There is much higher legal risk to having coaches dish out their own punishment for these types of things.  That's why it's a different world. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
I don't know enough about this case to opine about it being an indictment of white privilege, or an isolated nutball parent, or a genuine miscarriage of justice, but I will say this:

If I were these parents, and I won a judgment, I would buy a boat and name it Frivolous Lawsuit just to f#ck with people.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »

I’m not in trouble and I’m not parsing words. I literally said what she did. Twice now.

So if you host a dinner party at your house for 5 couples (assuming for the sake of discussion that you have no alcohol in your house), then if one couple brings a bottle of wine it means you are hosting an alcohol party?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
So if you host a dinner party at your house for 5 couples (assuming for the sake of discussion that you have no alcohol in your house), then if one couple brings a bottle of wine it means you are hosting an alcohol party?

yes, it does actually.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 04:44:02 PM »
So you think that the guy that was waiting for his armed robbery sentence should have been eligible?  Unless he robbed the school or was cutting class to rob the place it would be none of the schools business, based on your reasoning. 

If I pretend that drinking a beer and threatening someone's life are the same thing, then your comment makes a lot of sense.

Kids in high school are gonna drink. Accept it or don't. But don't make out like they are a bunch of unruly punks who should be punished at every step. It's part of the growing up process.

Obviously, I'm not a rule guy. I only had 2 simple rules for my kids when they were in high school.

1. When you are away from home, I want to know where you are at all times.

2. Never drink and drive. Ever. No mulligans on this one. I'll be up when you get home and if I even suspect it, your keys are mine until I arbitrarily decide to give them back to you. If you are at a party or a friend's house and even have one beer or wine cooler, you call your mother or I to pick you up.

Funny thing happened. They were usually the designated driver. Even though according to almost everyone here, they were simply rule breakers.

feedback