collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: High School Athlete Consequences  (Read 12808 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: High School Athlete Consequences
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2018, 04:10:07 AM »
Fine with it provided they would uphold the same standard to a Star football or basketball player. I think it's harsh, I believe ours was a two game suspension at my high school, but it's the rules and she agreed
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »
Fine with it provided they would uphold the same standard to a Star football or basketball player. I think it's harsh, I believe ours was a two game suspension at my high school, but it's the rules and she agreed

That would be an interesting wrinkle. What if the lawsuit was alleging discrimination by the school because they let star male athletes get away with the same infraction but not their female soccer player? Would people think that lawsuit is less frivolous?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »
Nah, coulda said to her friends, "either the beer goes, or you do."

coulda been a lot worse-how many games for drinking beer in a hot tub, eyn'er? better call saul![ /color]
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »
coulda been a lot worse-how many games for drinking beer in a hot tub, eyn'er? better call saul![ /color]

Huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »

Our punishment was a game for the first offense and it gained severity from there.  Perhaps this was not her first time breaking their code. 

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
Huh?

does the name mark chmura ring any bells?  hartland arrowhead post prom party

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »

You’re surprised that no one got your vague reference to an incident from nearly 20 years ago?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
My daughter is a junior at Arrowhead.  She played/plays two sports.  I don't know who this student is or even if I know the family.

As soon as I saw the headline a few days ago my only thought was, "here we go again".  I'd like to think it might say something about me but I've never had contact with parents that fit the stereotype that every single person outside of Hartland/Merton think every Arrowhead parent is like.  It might also have something to do with the fact, although we are not poor by nearly any definition, that I don't live on a lake and every vehicle we own is at least 11 years old with at least 150,000 miles on it.

I'm not sure what goes through the minds of parents who would bring a suit like this.  Maybe they think their daughter is good enough to get a soccer scholarship and the mean old Arrowhead administration is ripping from her mitts.  I'm not suggesting that is a legitimate reason for the lawsuit, I'm just trying to comprehend the situation.

I have no point to this post other than to say, we aren't all like what you think we are like.  Carry on.

MUENG, you're right, I shouldn't have made such a biased assumption.

That said, suing the school over a four game suspension is white (or at least wealth) privilege, and I stand by that.

Students at my school got busted last fall for a drinking party (they got caught because students were talking about how a girl blacked out in front of a teacher who was concerned about the girl's safety...not narcs).  The group of students involved were nearly all white, middle-class, tuition-paying honors students.  I think they got one day suspensions from school and a few got sports suspensions.  They acted like it was the end of the world.  Kids were crying in the hallways, parents came in to complain, students worried about not getting in to college.  It was a huge drama-fest.

When your biggest concern in life is a one-time drinking party suspension (where you got your friend so drunk they blacked out...), while there are other kids dealing with dads in jail, homelessness, domestic abuse, parenting their siblings, or living with a dying grandmother (all issues I see in my current students), that is white/wealth privilege. 

There's only one privilege that goes beyond white/wealth privilege in schools, and that's "really really good at sports" privilege.  We have a student with Div 1. scholarship offers who basically forced an ex-girlfriend to transfer out, got caught sexting pics to dozens of students, and had weed in his locker that has amazingly not been kicked out.  But hey, those football games don't win themselves.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »

Catholic Memorial not Arrowhead.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
You’re surprised that no one got your vague reference to an incident from nearly 20 years ago?

nope-glad i could help though

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
Catholic Memorial not Arrowhead.

sorry, you are correct the incident happened out in hartland.  the girl at least was from memorial-my oldest son's class as a matter of fact

feedback