[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Villanova takes a hit.  (Read 24325 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: Villanova takes a hit.
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
I dunno, though.  TTP's post and avatar appear far too slick, and he's used a traditional Scoop meme for his username.  Plus, he jumped right into the conversation with a detailed post.  Seems suspicious that he's actually a first time poster.  Doesn't sound like MUFINY - maybe some other poster is establishing a new identity in response to a banning or inevitable future banning.  Heisy?  We haven't heard from him in a while. 

If you are a first time poster, welcome to the discussion.  If you're one of those that recycle regularly, have at until you're sent away once again.

Edited to add:  Shouldn't have assumed a male poster.  And if you're a female poster, please hang around and help keep the guys classy, ai'na?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:05:12 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
MU82 forgot to mention Chicos name drops whenever possible.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
Ners is the chairman of the Derrick Wilson fan club.

Ps you were talking about Nova's offense......I said as good of a coach as Wright is I don't expact him to have an offense as good as he had last season year in and year out. It would be unprecedented .

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I expect Nova to be a force to be dealt with as long as Wright is there. I don't expect them to be a top 5 team in the country every season. If you look at Pomeroy no school is top 5 every season. Not even Duke, NC or Kansas.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
I've gone around a few times with the morons and biased idiots, but I keep reading them because they make great statistical and analitical sense.  On paper they make sense, in the real world it is a lot of wishful thinking and lots of what if's.  I'd like to see the NBE win more games pre season against real competition and in tournament's.
Until then I'll enjoy the ride and hope the T.V.  $$$  keep rolling in. 
Back when the T.V. contract was being negotiated the M's and B.I's did some creditable analysis of why the NBE was going to be so wonderful. 
In my opinion time is running out, the league needs to up it's game on all fronts.

I assume you mean non-conference play. Non-con play is what determines the bulk of conference rankings because it's the bulk of the time that leagues play against each other. So the best leagues in non-conference play are going to be the best rated leagues come the end of the season. Here are the Big East's season-by-season conference rankings:

Pomeroy: 5
RPI: 4

Pomeroy: 2
RPI: 2

Pomeroy: 3

RPI: 3

5-year Average
Pomeroy: 3.2
RPI: 3.0

The ACC and Big 12 are slightly ahead of us, but I think back in 2013 when we were kicking this off, anyone would have taken being solidly the 3rd best league in the country 5 years later. This is all based on the results of league vs league, so clearly we're doing pretty well when it comes to those preseason and tournament games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
Ners is a former high school basketball player who could dunk and who believes that makes him uniquely qualified to judge everything basketball-related. He is frequently wrong - as when he claimed that Rowsey would be no better than John "Magic" Dawson - but never admits it, confuses "fact" with "opinion" all the time, and often resorts to name-calling and other insults after he gets called out on his BS.

As a result, he has been banned multiple times - not just from this board but from other MU fan boards.

But he is addicted to the discourse, and he is desperate to show he is the smartest person in the room, so he keeps creating new accounts by using different names.

He doesn't like Wojo, so when a new name pops up and the comments are critical of Wojo, some of us theorize that Ners has been banned again and has created yet another new account.

And that's what I was guilty of doing a few posts ago.

I now see in another thread that Ners is still posting under Floorslapper, the name he is using as a derisive shot at Wojo. So I was wrong about Trust The Process being Ners. I already have apologized to him for the reference.

The kick to the whole thing is that sometimes Ners DOES offer some decent insight. But he can't help being Ners and he ruins most of his own posts.

And while I'm 'splainin' this ... might as well say the same is true of a former poster who went by chicos bail bonds. You'll see many references to "chicos" or "chico," who has been banned even more than Ners has. Heck, one of the times he resurfaced as Banny McBannerson!

Happy reading. We're all a bit nuts here - present company included - but some are nuttier than others.
You forgot that very important bit of info.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
You forgot that very important bit of info.

Sorry Newsy. Won't let it happen again!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »
I assume you mean non-conference play. Non-con play is what determines the bulk of conference rankings because it's the bulk of the time that leagues play against each other. So the best leagues in non-conference play are going to be the best rated leagues come the end of the season. Here are the Big East's season-by-season conference rankings:

Pomeroy: 5

Pomeroy: 2

RPI: 3

5-year Average
Pomeroy: 3.2
RPI: 3.0

The ACC and Big 12 are slightly ahead of us, but I think back in 2013 when we were kicking this off, anyone would have taken being solidly the 3rd best league in the country 5 years later. This is all based on the results of league vs league, so clearly we're doing pretty well when it comes to those preseason and tournament games.

This exactly. And I almost like the current set up better now that we're five years in than the old BEast (which I also loved). 10 like-minded urban institutions, 5 in the midwest, 5 in the northeast, each with some sort of unique history, a lot of historical rivalries as well. The home & home setup is great too. Hope we can keep it as-is as long as possible.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
This exactly. And I almost like the current set up better now that we're five years in than the old BEast (which I also loved). 10 like-minded urban institutions, 5 in the midwest, 5 in the northeast, each with some sort of unique history, a lot of historical rivalries as well. The home & home setup is great too. Hope we can keep it as-is as long as possible.

Agreed. I think the Big 12 is also great, but other than that would take our league for entertainment value over anyone in the country. The ACC, SEC, Big 10, Pac-12 aren't even close. The double-round robin and geographical setup trumps anything they have. Yes, Creighton and Providence are a long way away, but the Midwest/Northeast split is ideal. The singular focus on basketball is ideal. And that we generally wipe the floor with most other leagues in non-con play also helps.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2018, 03:05:59 AM »
We just finished a season where two of our teams were #1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament and one of those teams won the National Title.

The rock you live under must be well appointed.

Madison Ave. will decide, not West Wisconsin.  Time will tell, I hope I'm around for the good news.  Interesting how provincial thinking even goes for statistical analytics. 

In other words, you can't build a league on one or two teams.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2018, 03:34:32 AM »
Madison Ave. will decide, not West Wisconsin.  Time will tell, I hope I'm around for the good news.  Interesting how provincial thinking even goes for statistical analytics. 

You're right, it's not like 70% of the teams in conference made the tournament a year ago. Wait...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2018, 06:12:42 AM »

Every major conference has one or two powers above the rest.  The other teams ebb and flow.

Big 12 Kansas
Sec Kentucky
Big 10 Michigan St & maybe Michigan
Pac 12 Arizona & UCLA
ACC Duke & UNC

The Big East has done very well the last 5 years. But your anti-provincial bias can't see the forest for the trees.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »
Every major conference has one or two powers above the rest.  The other teams ebb and flow.

Big 12 Kansas
Sec Kentucky
Big 10 Michigan St & maybe Michigan
Pac 12 Arizona & UCLA
ACC Duke & UNC

The Big East has done very well the last 5 years. But your anti-provincial bias can't see the forest for the trees.

Big East henceforth: Villanova & Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
Madison Ave. will decide, not West Wisconsin.  Time will tell, I hope I'm around for the good news.  Interesting how provincial thinking even goes for statistical analytics

It's kind of interesting how you tout statistical analytics given that its been sucessfully used by others to show that you are wrong while you have used none yourself.   ?-(
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »

Who sent you from ESPN? Speak!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

It just might be Mountain View, Menlo Park and Seattle who decide...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2018, 07:01:03 AM »
Interesting stuff from Adam Zagoria. Wonder if this will lead to Spellman hiring an agent.

Quote from: @AdamZagoria
Omari Spellman of @NovaMBB
received an NBA Combine invite, per source.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure Spellman is gone. I think he ends up getting drafted just outside the lottery
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure Spellman is gone. I think he ends up getting drafted just outside the lottery

I agree.

I've never been hired as an NBA general manager, believe it or not, but I think Spellman's game translates VERY well to the league and he could be a steal to a team drafting in that 15-25 range. I like his potential more than several bigs who will go earlier.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
Just stumbled onto this from Nova's version of Paint Touches:

Happy Friday Nova Nation! It’s been 53 days of “will they, won’t they?” with the NBA Draft decisions of Donte DiVincenzo and Omari Spellman, but there’s finally light at the end of the tunnel. This week we’ve seen a number of players, like Luke Maye of North Carolina and Sagaba Konate of West Virginia, announce that they’re withdrawing from the draft. With the NCAA’s deadline to remove their bids from the draft set for Wednesday, we could find out as soon as this weekend if the two Wildcat stars will return to the Main Line for another season.

The rumor mill for DiVincenzo seems to be leaning pretty hard towards staying in the draft and being picked in the first round. At yesterday’s workout with the Atlanta Hawks, the Big Ragu confirmed that he’ll wrap up his NBA workouts with the Warriors on Sunday, and make a decision on his draft status soon after. For those of you holding out hope that he could return, he was quoted saying, “I’m talking to coach Wright, gathering information where teams see me and where I’m projected. The mock drafts are different than what the GMs think.” Take that as you will.

Spellman, who has also been actively working out for a number of NBA teams, doesn’t have a clear timetable set out like his teammate. But I’d say it’s safe to assume that we’re looking at a similar time frame for his decision. While the rumor mill also has him leaning toward the NBA, it’s more of a 60/40 split than the “certainty” with which pundits are talking about DiVincenzo. The mock drafts that have some weight behind them have Spellman dropping into the early to mid second round, but as Donte said that doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a team out there willing to take him in the first.

Hard for me to believe that Spellman wouldn't be a first-round pick, but I am not a draftnik and I haven't analyzed everything out there. I definitely think he can play in the league. If DD really is a likely first-rounder, he gowne, obviously.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
I don't have the exact quote, but last week Spellman spoke to the effect that he would rather spend a year developing on a NBA bench than playing another year in college. I think him leaving is more certain than DD, and I think after the Combine, DD is gone.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
I would agree with you brew. Apparently Spellman didn’t distinguish himself in the combine, so the mock drafters are pushing him into the second round in recent drafts. Divincenzo, on the other hand, was brilliant enough that there’s a lot of talk of him in the first round right now. I think his stock is pretty high right now and he’ll stay. Sounds like Spellman would be happy with a G-league 2-way even, and I’m betting he’ll catch on somewhere.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
I don't have the exact quote, but last week Spellman spoke to the effect that he would rather spend a year developing on a NBA bench than playing another year in college. I think him leaving is more certain than DD, and I think after the Combine, DD is gone.

Also pretty sure Spellman himself is relatively old. Could be wrong

But he’s been in college for 2 years(with the 1 year sit out) and I think he might be old for his age.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »

But he’s been in college for 2 years(with the 1 year sit out) and I think he might be old for his age.
You make Yogi proud with that one.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2018, 10:09:52 PM »

July 21, 1997.

Turns 21 in 2 months. Donovan Mitchell, the runaway choice for ROY, was the same age when drafted last year.

But yes, Spellman certainly might feel the clock is ticking.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
July 21, 1997.

Turns 21 in 2 months. Donovan Mitchell, the runaway choice for ROY, was the same age when drafted last year.

But yes, Spellman certainly might feel the clock is ticking.

Yup so he’s a older summer bday.

Getting drafted at 22 next year isn’t the end of the world.

But I think he’s best going now at 21 and trying to get his feet wet in the league.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback