Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Villanova takes a hit.  (Read 23890 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Villanova takes a hit.
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Wrong conference reference.

Sorry, you were talking about the Big 10/14. I think they'll be strong at the top (MSU, Michigan, Ohio St and a resurgent Indiana). Purdue is solid and sometimes very good. I expect the same going forward for UW. Iowa is just OK, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois less than that. So the original 10 is "normal" - strong top, weak bottom, a few "middlers". What hurts is that the add ons (11-14) are sub par. Penn St has risen from awful to maybe low middle, Maryland has dipped from top tier to middle.Rutgers is awful and Nebraska is almost as bad.

Overall, well behind the ACC and Big 12 and level with the SEC and the Big East but with an arrow pointing downward.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 09:28:08 AM »

The thing is, no one before this year would have called him a shooter.  So I'm not sure how much range the guy actually has.  I guess we will see.

Exactly. His stroke looked great in the tournament and his range was unlimited but he struggles at the free throw line which is really rare (non existent?) for a truly pure shooter.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
DD declared with out agent

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
Exactly. His stroke looked great in the tournament and his range was unlimited but he struggles at the free throw line which is really rare (non existent?) for a truly pure shooter.

He should finish up classes this summer and grad transfer to MU to work with Nelson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2018, 12:36:47 AM »
Potentially.  Spellman exploring his draft options.   DD leaning that way but no official word yet.   No agents yet.  Smart moves by both.   Bridges and Brunson hiring agents.   Opportunity for MU to move up.

BUMP

BigEast - Bridges - Brunson

+Chartouney

=?

MU Jeffersons?
+
A DEluxe apt in the skyyyyy?

Finally a piece of the real BigEast pie? And not just bogarted NCAA units?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Was looking at Villanova's SB Nation site today and they seem so convinced that Spellman and Dante should come back if they're projected to go in the second round.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but all I can think is how eerily similar this is to the Vander situation and how even if players should probably come back, it's not always the case.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
Spellman looks like a first round pick to me. I can see the Vander/DD comparison though I think DD has a better shot at getting drafted. Both are coming off tournament runs where it seems unlikely that their draft stock could get any higher
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 10:05:40 PM »
Spellman looks like a first round pick to me. I can see the Vander/DD comparison though I think DD has a better shot at getting drafted. Both are coming off tournament runs where it seems unlikely that their draft stock could get any higher

I agree about DD's stock. But I don't see why Spellman can't be a much higher draft pick a year from now after spending a season as Nova's go-to guy and getting another year of experience with a great coaching staff.

That is if the Spellman as a second-rounder talk this year is true. I actually like him better than some guys projected as top-10 picks, but I wonder if I'm guilty of familiarity bias because I've seen him so much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »

I actually think DD's stock could still go up. The kid is a legit athlete with range and impressive defense. He has NBA size for a guard and the frame to add more muscle. If he has a NPOY type season as the best player on Nova, I could see him going through a Mikel Bridges type rise where he rises to a solid late-lottery pick.

DD is a great player, but if I'm a NBA scout, I wouldn't have his stock up much from where it was before the NC because I think it's a mistake to jump a guy up because of one game, no matter the stakes. If he could do that for a full season (and I believe he could), he would solidify himself as a first-half of the first round guy.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
I actually think DD's stock could still go up. The kid is a legit athlete with range and impressive defense. He has NBA size for a guard and the frame to add more muscle. If he has a NPOY type season as the best player on Nova, I could see him going through a Mikel Bridges type rise where he rises to a solid late-lottery pick.

DD is a great player, but if I'm a NBA scout, I wouldn't have his stock up much from where it was before the NC because I think it's a mistake to jump a guy up because of one game, no matter the stakes. If he could do that for a full season (and I believe he could), he would solidify himself as a first-half of the first round guy.

Agree with you on Donte's stock. He has the ability, athleticism, coaching, and culture around him to jump into a possible lottery pick just like Bridges did by coming back for another year. The key is consistency for him. The leap he made from his RS Frosh to Soph year was huge, mostly due to maturity and poise on the court. Still makes a lot of bonehead mistakes and tends to get a little out of control with the ball but the talent and upside is certainly there. Another year would do him a lot of good and I think he and Spellman both return.

Don't forget Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins both tested NBA waters coming off a huge tournament after winning the 2016 Championship. Both returned. Very similar situation here. Jay knows when his guys need more development and when they should make the jump, which is why he explicitly told Brunson and Bridges they'd be crazy not to leave before they made their decisions. He hasn't been as outward about DiVincenzo and Spellman. They'll both come back with their sights on a 3rd championship in 4 years and improve their stocks for a weaker 2019 draft class.

As for MU, they can't place their hopes in competing at the top of the Big East on Nova's players coming back or not. We have to get to their level on our own accord. Starts with defense. We're very rarely going to match Nova's offensive efficiency so the defense has to be not laughable at the very least. If Wojo can't put a solid season or tourney run together this year he's gotta be out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
If Wojo can't put a solid season or tourney run together this year he's gotta be out.

Interesting insight, Ners.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »
In 2017 our  offense was pretty close to Nova's......last year we were closer to the 2nd best offense in the country then the 2nd best offense in the country was to Nova.

As good a coach as Wright is I'm not expecting them to be that good every year. They had the 2nd best offense in the Ken Pom era last season...... ..2015 UW was the best.

In 2013 Nova's offense wasn't in the top 100. They have been top 25 every year since.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »

Lol yup.  He had everyone on Scoop fooled for...well, all of 0 posts.  Good stuff.

I can't imagine a situation where I get banned from a website and keep making new name after new name.  I think after the first one I might think to myself, what in the hell am I doing with my life that I'm getting banned from a website?  And what am I doing with my life that I can't live it without going back to a website that has banned me over and over again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:12:35 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
In 2017 our  offense was pretty close to Nova's......last year we were closer to the 2nd best offense in the country then the 2nd best offense in the country was to Nova.

As good a coach as Wright is I'm not expecting them to be that good every year. They had the 2nd best offense in the Ken Pom era last season...... ..2015 UW was the best.

In 2013 Nova's offense wasn't in the top 100. They have been top 25 every year since.

You really aren't going to expect them to be a top 5 team every year? They've been the absolute best program in the nation over the last 5 years and any doubt for this to continue is pretty foolish as long as Jay is at the helm. 165-21 record, 2 national championships, 4 Big East regular season titles, 3 Big East Tournament titles, and no back-to-back losses in this span. If there are any signs of slowing down I'd like to hear them. If you really want to get into stats and Ken Pom, then look at the efficiency ratings this past season. Nova #1 offense, #11 defense vs. Marquette #12 offense, #182 defense. There's one very glaring number there and that simply can't be the case if we want to have a chance at competing with them, and isn't that the goal?

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Lol yup.  He had everyone on Scoop fooled for...well, all of 0 posts.  Good stuff.

I can't imagine a situation where I get banned from a website and keep making new name after new name.  I think after the first one I might think to myself, what in the hell am I doing with my life that I'm getting banned from a website?  And what am I doing with my life that I can't live it without going back to a website that has banned me over and over again.

Not sure who ners is, just an objective take from someone with both MU and Nova connections. Got the wrong guy fellas.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 11:25:29 PM »
Not sure who ners is, just an objective take from someone with both MU and Nova connections. Got the wrong guy fellas.

Wow. What coincidental timing that is!   ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
Wow. What coincidental timing that is!   ::)

Did Ners' latest iteration get banned?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »

MU is "we" and Nova is "them"? Well, OK. I'll play along for a little bit. I've misidentified banned posters adopting new identities before, and I'll do it again, I'm sure.

If you're not Ners, a million apologies. Nobody should be condemned in that fashion.

PistolBrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »
As someone who just started following this board during the 2017-18 season can someone please explain who/what ners is?  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:25:10 AM by PistolBrad »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:20 AM »
As someone who just started following this board during the 2017-18 season can someone please explain who/what ners is?  Thanks

He is an old poster whom a handful of other guys feel the need to pile on and argue with incessantly to the point of ruining every thread.  For as bad as Ners and his reincarnations are the guys that choose to argue his every post are even worse.  See the recently locked thread, which was prolly the most pathetic string in the history of this board.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:57:58 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »

Wow, this is like starting to play "Where's Waldo."
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
Some of you guys are complete morons. bias idiots that’s all I can say. This conference is NOT, I reapeat  NOT established as an elite conference yet. it NEEDS good teams to be there every year. why ppl want everyone on nova to leave just so mu might move up a spot is beyond me. How about aspire to rise to their level, not hope they fall to ours. The conference will be very week next season. Bunch of teams loosing a lot. I’m worried. Hope DD Omari stock around so the big east has at least one top 15 team.

I've gone around a few times with the morons and biased idiots, but I keep reading them because they make great statistical and analitical sense.  On paper they make sense, in the real world it is a lot of wishful thinking and lots of what if's.  I'd like to see the NBE win more games pre season against real competition and in tournament's. 
Until then I'll enjoy the ride and hope the T.V.  $$$  keep rolling in. 
Back when the T.V. contract was being negotiated the M's and B.I's did some creditable analysis of why the NBE was going to be so wonderful. 
In my opinion time is running out, the league needs to up it's game on all fronts.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
I've gone around a few times with the morons and biased idiots, but I keep reading them because they make great statistical and analitical sense.  On paper they make sense, in the real world it is a lot of wishful thinking and lots of what if's.  I'd like to see the NBE win more games pre season against real competition and in tournament's. 
Back when the T.V. contract was being negotiated the M's and B.I's did some creditable analysis of why the NBE was going to be so wonderful. 
In my opinion time is running out, the league needs to up it's game on all fronts.

We just finished a season where two of our teams were #1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament and one of those teams won the National Title.

The rock you live under must be well appointed.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »

Because Conference USA and the Great Midwest were so great...If you can't see the Big East as a top-5 league year in, year out then I don't really know what to tell you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »

Ners is a former high school basketball player who believes that makes him uniquely qualified to judge everything basketball-related. He is frequently wrong - as when he claimed that Rowsey would be no better than John "Magic" Dawson - but never admits it, confuses "fact" with "opinion" all the time, and often resorts to name-calling and other insults after he gets called out on his BS.

As a result, he has been banned multiple times - not just from this board but from other MU fan boards.

But he is addicted to the discourse, and he is desperate to show he is the smartest person in the room, so he keeps creating new accounts by using different names.

He doesn't like Wojo, so when a new name pops up and the comments are critical of Wojo, some of us theorize that Ners has been banned again and has created yet another new account.

And that's what I was guilty of doing a few posts ago.

I now see in another thread that Ners is still posting under Floorslapper, the name he is using as a derisive shot at Wojo. So I was wrong about Trust The Process being Ners. I already have apologized to him for the reference.

The kick to the whole thing is that sometimes Ners DOES offer some decent insight. But he can't help being Ners and he ruins most of his own posts.

And while I'm 'splainin' this ... might as well say the same is true of a former poster who went by chicos bail bonds. You'll see many references to "chicos" or "chico," who has been banned even more than Ners has. Heck, one of the times he resurfaced as Banny McBannerson!

Happy reading. We're all a bit nuts here - present company included - but some are nuttier than others.