[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Villanova takes a hit.  (Read 24282 times)

tower912

• All American
Villanova takes a hit.
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
Potentially.  Spellman exploring his draft options.   DD leaning that way but no official word yet.   No agents yet.  Smart moves by both.   Bridges and Brunson hiring agents.   Opportunity for MU to move up.   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:01:49 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: Villanova takes a hit.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
Potentially.  Spellman exploring his draft options.   DD leaning that way but no official word yet.   No agents yet.  Smart moves by both.   Bridges and Brunson hiring agents.   Opportunity for MU to move up.

Both should go, Spellman has great potential and I am not sure it can be higher then right now, do not take the risk.  DD is ready now.  If both leave Villy still will
have some nice pieces, but freshman will have to take over right away.  Saw Cole Swider play in an All-Star game, he will be a star at Villy.  Add that 5 star guard as well,
they will be fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Both absolutely should let the NBA kick their tires and see what their stock is.

I tend to agree that they both are trending up. I would think Spellman could play himself into a top-5 pick with another year of great coaching as the team's go-to guy. DD, I don't know what to think of him; his stock would seem to be so high now, but he was pretty inconsistent this season and he to likely would benefit as a player from returning.

But yeah, if either gets the vibe that he'll be a first-round pick, adios.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »
Both absolutely should let the NBA kick their tires and see what their stock is.

I tend to agree that they both are trending up. I would think Spellman could play himself into a top-5 pick with another year of great coaching as the team's go-to guy. DD, I don't know what to think of him; his stock would seem to be so high now, but he was pretty inconsistent this season and he to likely would benefit as a player from returning.

But yeah, if either gets the vibe that he'll be a first-round pick, adios.

Bucks have the 17th pick this year, I would take either of them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »
What happens with the defending national champion's players has absolutely no baring on MU's future success.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
What happens with the defending national champion's players has absolutely no baring on MU's future success.

Except that we play them 2-3 times per year and 2-3 wins in the future is better than 0 wins...

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
Except that we play them 2-3 times per year and 2-3 wins in the future is better than 0 wins...

This

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
Nah man, MU is literally time zones away from Villanova's success. First gotta get you own house in order befour worrin' 'bout the competition. Beesides, Wright has already shown he isn't steppin' on his johnson like Crean did and will build on his success. VU will be just fine goin' forward, hey?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:16:55 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
Nah man, MU is literally time zones away from Villanova's success. First gotta get you own house in order befour worrin' 'bout the competition. Beesides, Wright has already shown he isn't steppin' on his johnson like Crean did and will on his success. VU will be just fine goin' forward, hey?

I don't think anyone is questioning the state of the Nova program, but if you lose 4 players from a team that only went 7 deep most of the time, I don't care who you're bringing in, you're gonna take a step back.  Good thing is, a step back from national champions is still likely FF contender.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
Nah man, MU is literally time zones away from Villanova's success. First gotta get you own house in order befour worrin' 'bout the competition. Beesides, Wright has already shown he isn't steppin' on his johnson like Crean did and will build on his success. VU will be just fine goin' forward, hey?

Duh. But a virtually unbeatable team instead of a very good team gives MU a better chance to win 2-3 contests per year.

For example, if Nova was a top-20ish team instead of #1 by a mile, we likely beat them once or twice this year and make the tourney instead of NIT 2 seed.

Ergo, what happens to their players has some bearing on MU's future success.

This isn't that hard.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
I don't think anyone is questioning the state of the Nova program, but if you lose 4 players from a team that only went 7 deep most of the time, I don't care who you're bringing in, you're gonna take a step back.  Good thing is, a step back from national champions is still likely FF contender.

Not sure about Villy being a contender for FF.  Not sure Wright was truly ready to lose all 4.   They will be good, but beatable as Paschall can not carry the load or
whomever is returning.  Lose 4 and only 3 are coming in right now, big drop-off.  MU probably has a chance to beat them again, at least at home.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Not sure about Villy being a contender for FF.  Not sure Wright was truly ready to lose all 4.   They will be good, but beatable as Paschall can not carry the load or
whomever is returning.  Lose 4 and only 3 are coming in right now, big drop-off.  MU probably has a chance to beat them again, at least at home.

That depends on different people's opinion on how many FF contenders there are right now.  Even if they lose all 4 (which I don't think will happen), just out of respect for the program, the coaching ability of Wright, and the incoming class, I would consider them a FF contender.  TBH though, if I had to make a list right now, there would probably be about a dozen "FF contenders".  (At least until FBI sanctions come out, whenever that will be)

Agree that we can beat them though, even if both OS and DD come back.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:41:22 PM by Its DJOver »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »

+1

Paschall and Booth are great, but they aren't carrying Nova to a Big East title much less a Final Four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »
If I was a GM I would absolutely use a mid to late first round pick on Spellman. Kid is a stud and I think will only get better.

DD I am less sure about but it's had to imagine his stock being higher after showing out in the national championship.

Even if all four go, I think Nova still wins the Big East....but they go from nigh unbeatable to us having a good shot of beating them at least once next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »

I'll be kinda surprised if either goes to the NBA this year.

Every college player who aspires to the NBA should do what these guys did. Get that input from NBA scouts - it will help many of them achieve their goal.

I cannot believe Howard and Hauser haven't done this.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »
For those with a mathematical bent, Auburn has provided the tools to figure this out in his BEast Nat'l Ratings thread's link to his Cracked Sidewalks article.  In that article, he shows Nova ranked third next year with 55.6 points of Projected Value Add (PVA), he also provides the PVA for both DiVincenzo 7.84 and Spellman 4.96.  If you subtract those from Nova's total, you get a 42.8 PVA which drops Nova to 17th.  Marq is ranked 27th with a 39.02 PVA.  Most systems credit home court advantage as worth approximately 4 points, so those two leaving makes the game at Marq a slight Marq advantage or a pick 'em game.  So, yeah, losing those two guys with their combined 12.8 points of PVA makes any Marq Nova game much more winnable for Marq.

Now if those guys leave AND Marquette gets additional PVA from say Joseph Chartouny, maybe Marq even moves past Nova, and .....................
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:22:03 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
I'll be kinda surprised if either goes to the NBA this year.

Every college player who aspires to the NBA should do what these guys did. Get that input from NBA scouts - it will help many of them achieve their goal.

I cannot believe Howard and Hauser haven't done this.

Can't you only do it once, so it would make sense to declare without hiring after your Junior year?  I may be wrong, but that would explain why Markus hasn't declared yet, and Sam is in no physical shape to be working out for scouts since he was still on crutches last week at the awards ceremony.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
Can't you only do it once, so it would make sense to declare without hiring after your Junior year?  I may be wrong, but that would explain why Markus hasn't declared yet, and Sam is in no physical shape to be working out for scouts since he was still on crutches last week at the awards ceremony.

You can do it twice. Howard also is going on that athletes trip to South America with Matt Heldt. Not sure he'll be around much.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »

Agree. Getting "better" because a team who regularly thumps you gets worse isn't getting better - it's just having an easier schedule.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
You can do it twice. Howard also is going on that athletes trip to South America with Matt Heldt. Not sure he'll be around much.

And what position does he play in the pros?  2 guard, can he guard Kris Middleton?  I think he needs a year or two to work on being a point.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
Lenny and 4ever

Agree completely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
Not sure about Villy being a contender for FF.  Not sure Wright was truly ready to lose all 4.

The man can't coach. Took him 15 years to get to the Final Four, 22 to win a title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »
For those with a mathematical bent, Auburn has provided the tools to figure this out in his BEast Nat'l Ratings thread's link to his Cracked Sidewalks article.  In that article, he shows Nova ranked third next year with 55.6 points of Projected Value Add (PVA), he also provides the PVA for both DiVincenzo 7.84 and Spellman 4.96.  If you subtract those from Nova's total, you get a 42.8 PVA which drops Nova to 17th.  Marq is ranked 27th with a 39.02 PVA.  Most systems credit home court advantage as worth approximately 4 points, so those two leaving makes the game at Marq a slight Marq advantage or a pick 'em game.  So, yeah, losing those two guys with their combined 12.8 points of PVA makes any Marq Nova game much more winnable for Marq.

Now if those guys leave AND Marquette gets additional PVA from say Joseph Chartouny, maybe Marq even moves past Nova, and ..................... that's exactly why what happens to their players has bearing on MU's future success

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
Speaking of stepping on johns, does this apply to   Wojo at all?
Funny on all the glee here that Villanova players turning pro helps us to move up. Maybe a better idea is to get players and coaches equal to Villanova.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »
And what position does he play in the pros?  2 guard, can he guard Kris Middleton?  I think he needs a year or two to work on being a point.

Huh? I have no idea what your question has to do with my post.

feedback