[Today at 05:26:50 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fordham University  (Read 9645 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Fordham University
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:38:23 AM »
My son wants to go to Fordham.  I know very little about it except that it's Jesuit.  He's accepted to their Chemistry program.  Anyone have kids / friends / or any alumni who can give some advice about it?    It's not a school he's visited, and I've never been there either.  Hope scoop can round up some good advice!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
Re: Fordham University
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:05:11 AM »
Tell him to go there for 3 years, get his degree, and then be a graduate transfer to Marquette.

If it's good enough for Chartouny, it should be good enough for L'il chicos!

Just havin' some fun. I don't know nuthin' about no stinkin' Fordham.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »
My son wants to go to Fordham.  I know very little about it except that it's Jesuit.  He's accepted to their Chemistry program.  Anyone have kids / friends / or any alumni who can give some advice about it?    It's not a school he's visited, and I've never been there either.  Hope scoop can round up some good advice!

I don't what advice I can give other than I have a friend whose daughter went there and absolutely loved it.  Still lives there.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:36:21 AM »
Tell him to go there for 3 years, get his degree, and then be a graduate transfer to Marquette.

nice try 82 but "lil chicos" is already enrolled and nearing the end of his freshman year at a school that shall not be named of course.  and he's NOT transferring anywhere.  in other words warrior fan AIN'T chicos and you can take that to the bank. 

damn though!  ya gotta admit that chicos was good for the ratings- so much for opposition research though,eh...na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:02:32 AM »
WarriorFan = Not Chicos

WarriorDad = the presumed Chicos

C'mon Mike, do you really think Chicos would value anyone's opinion over his own?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:22:01 AM »
Definitely Not Chicos.  Started as WarriorFan, Always WarriorFan.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
I know very little about it...

Doesn’t sound like Chicos to me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
My cousin went there among others that I know and it's popular with Connecticut high school students.  (My daughter is not interested because it is too close to home.)

The campus is consolidated with no roads through it.  I believe there is a wall/fence around the entire campus.  It's physically located next to the very pretty New York Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo.  It has it's own Metro North train station. 
The real Little Italy in NYC on Arthur Avenue radiates out from the Fordham Campus.
The Fordham football stadium overlooks the Botanical Garden. 
I saw Marquette play Fordham at Fordham way back in the early 90's.  Glad to see the Rose Hill Gym vastly improved since then.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
Wish I could tell you about the school...but I can provide some colorful history of the MU-Fordham rivalry back in the day. From "Al McGuire's Wit, Wisdom and Warriors" on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/posts/1168707543241727:0

On today's date in 1975, upset by Fordham Coach Hal Wissel's public condemnation of his 9th ranked Warriors' schedule, Al let his thoroughbreds run wild in Madison Square Garden, destroying the Fordham Rams 101-64 on their home court, but not before Al let Wissel have it on the sidelines.

Al had actually tried to lend Wissel and his program a hand by flying to New York two days early, despite a nasty cold and a touch of the flu, to help hype what Al had been told were slow pre-game ticket sales.

Al gave some headline-grabbing press conferences, as only Al could do, but Wissel, perhaps jealous of Al’s headlines in the New York papers, called his own presser the next day and proclaimed that Al’s teams perennially played a patsy schedule.

Wissel told the assembled press that if Al’s 18-3 Warriors had played Fordham’s recent string of four tough opponents, they too would have lost all four games.

“That,” Lloyd Walton would smile later, “was the worst thing that man could have done.”
“Nothing, opposing coaches found out over the years, set Al off quicker than a public affront,” sportswriter Roger Jaynes once wrote, “real or otherwise.”

Indeed.

Marquette had a modest lead of 41-28 at the half as Walton scored 16 of his game-high 22 points, but after intermission, Al’s Warriors put the pedal to the metal and the merciless rout was on, with Marquette leading at one point by 47 points.

The Fordham fans showed their displeasure at Al's obvious overkill, hurling dead fish and apples onto the court and stopping play for approximately five minutes as attendants cleaned up the floor.

Al finally pulled his first string, but not until they had thoroughly humiliated Wissel's Rams.
With 8:00 minutes left in the game and the crowd hissing, Al finally stood up from his chair, hands on his hips, and glared at Wissel, who refused to engage Al’s withering stare, sitting frozen in his chair as he stared blankly at the floor, obviously simmering inside.

“Hey!” Al yelled. “What’s that about that patsy schedule we play?” Al moved a few steps closer, then gestured to the scoreboard above. “So much for a soft schedule! Come on, pal! Tell us about your schedule! Welcome to the big time, jerk!”

"I never said Marquette unnatural carnal knowledgeing plays a patsy schedule," Wissel fumed later. "I told some reporter that we had lost four games in a row to tough teams, and that if Marquette had played the same teams, they would have four losses. The reporter blew the story out of proportion. Then Âl McGuire has to blow the story even more out of proportion, just to make sure that he gets his name in every paper coast to coast. That's the way he is. Well. I'm not that way."

(Wissel was actually quoted in the newspapers as saying that Marquette "doesn't play the tough teams we do. They never play a tough schedule, and Al McGuire would be the first to admit that.")
Al later looked back on the incident with amusement.

"I think Wissel is probably right about me making it a bigger story than it was," he said. "He's a nice guy and a very intelligent guy. But sometimes it's hard for a coach who's been losing to talk about a coach who's been winning. I think I understand his feelings."

Give ‘em hell, Al!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
Wish I could tell you about the school...but I can provide some colorful history of the MU-Fordham rivalry back in the day. From "Al McGuire's Wit, Wisdom and Warriors" on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/posts/1168707543241727:0

On today's date in 1975, upset by Fordham Coach Hal Wissel's public condemnation of his 9th ranked Warriors' schedule, Al let his thoroughbreds run wild in Madison Square Garden, destroying the Fordham Rams 101-64 on their home court, but not before Al let Wissel have it on the sidelines.

Al had actually tried to lend Wissel and his program a hand by flying to New York two days early, despite a nasty cold and a touch of the flu, to help hype what Al had been told were slow pre-game ticket sales.

Al gave some headline-grabbing press conferences, as only Al could do, but Wissel, perhaps jealous of Al’s headlines in the New York papers, called his own presser the next day and proclaimed that Al’s teams perennially played a patsy schedule.

Wissel told the assembled press that if Al’s 18-3 Warriors had played Fordham’s recent string of four tough opponents, they too would have lost all four games.

“That,” Lloyd Walton would smile later, “was the worst thing that man could have done.”
“Nothing, opposing coaches found out over the years, set Al off quicker than a public affront,” sportswriter Roger Jaynes once wrote, “real or otherwise.”

Indeed.

Marquette had a modest lead of 41-28 at the half as Walton scored 16 of his game-high 22 points, but after intermission, Al’s Warriors put the pedal to the metal and the merciless rout was on, with Marquette leading at one point by 47 points.

The Fordham fans showed their displeasure at Al's obvious overkill, hurling dead fish and apples onto the court and stopping play for approximately five minutes as attendants cleaned up the floor.

Al finally pulled his first string, but not until they had thoroughly humiliated Wissel's Rams.
With 8:00 minutes left in the game and the crowd hissing, Al finally stood up from his chair, hands on his hips, and glared at Wissel, who refused to engage Al’s withering stare, sitting frozen in his chair as he stared blankly at the floor, obviously simmering inside.

“Hey!” Al yelled. “What’s that about that patsy schedule we play?” Al moved a few steps closer, then gestured to the scoreboard above. “So much for a soft schedule! Come on, pal! Tell us about your schedule! Welcome to the big time, jerk!”

"I never said Marquette unnatural carnal knowledgeing plays a patsy schedule," Wissel fumed later. "I told some reporter that we had lost four games in a row to tough teams, and that if Marquette had played the same teams, they would have four losses. The reporter blew the story out of proportion. Then Âl McGuire has to blow the story even more out of proportion, just to make sure that he gets his name in every paper coast to coast. That's the way he is. Well. I'm not that way."

(Wissel was actually quoted in the newspapers as saying that Marquette "doesn't play the tough teams we do. They never play a tough schedule, and Al McGuire would be the first to admit that.")

"I think Wissel is probably right about me making it a bigger story than it was," he said. "He's a nice guy and a very intelligent guy. But sometimes it's hard for a coach who's been losing to talk about a coach who's been winning. I think I understand his feelings."

Give ‘em hell, Al!

ALScoop would have been wild back in the day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
Definitely Not Chicos.  Started as WarriorFan, Always WarriorFan.

Crap.

Being erroneously called "chicos" ... man, I can't think of a worse insult for a fellow Scooper.

A billion, zillion, gajillion apologies. It won't happen again.

As for Fordham, I still don't know anything about it, but I hope your daughter loves it there if that's where she chooses to go.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 10:57:05 AM »
That wissel Guy-not too bright.  Usually it’s a player(s) providing the bulletin board schmit talk.  He should have known better to mess with a new yawka as such and big al nonetheless

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »

I thought I was a Chicos?  Or Billy Hoyle was?  Warrior Fan?  or the two or three others.  Someone please explain what it means!!!!!!!!!!   >:(
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
I thought I was a Chicos?  Or Billy Hoyle was?  Warrior Fan?  or the two or three others.  Someone please explain what it means!!!!!!!!!!   >:(

What's ironic is that Chicos got all hot and bothered when I called him a liar.  Yet he has no qualms about repeatedly lying about his identity.

Just remember that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »

Give ‘em hell, Al![/i]
Dead...fishes?  They sell those at the game?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
Fordham gave us Digger Phelps. 

Heard they have an excellent advertising and marketing school.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

What's ironic is that Chicos got all hot and bothered when I called him a liar.  Yet he has no qualms about repeatedly lying about his identity.

Just remember that.

Because he wasn’t lying...I’d get hot and bothered as well when I’m accused of something I didn’t do.  I know the story-he had nothing to lie about

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

There you go, Banny McBannerson, another screen name for you:

a Chicos

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
There you go, Banny McBannerson, another screen name for you:

a Chicos

What?!?

Oh.   You said Banny.  Thought for a minute you were making fun of my Irish heritage.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

“What’s a Chicos?” will now enter the Scoop meme pantheon. I love it. Thanks Cheeks.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
“What’s a Chicos?” will now enter the Scoop meme pantheon. I love it. Thanks Cheeks.

Can you explain why five or six people are called this?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

Modern psychology can't explain it either.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »

what happens when everyone wants to be a "hall monitor" with an obsession.  wack-a-chicos anyone?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Because he wasn’t lying...I’d get hot and bothered as well when I’m accused of something I didn’t do.  I know the story-he had nothing to lie about

The fact that you haven't figured him out says way more about you than anything else. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
what happens when everyone wants to be a "hall monitor" with an obsession.  wack-a-chicos anyone?

Much like Ners, it's everyone else's fault.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback