[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fordham University  (Read 9537 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Fordham University
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
When I went to MU there was at least one murder a night (in the summer, it slowed down a bit in the winter) within a 10 block radius and Dahmer lived 1 block away from my apartment.  Could anything be worse than that?
Probably not, but today MU is much better and Fordham is still a small demilitarized zone away from some really bad actors. People in NY tend to be used to and immune to that kind of thing, but I think people from other parts of the country would see it for more of what it is.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »
When I went to MU there was at least one murder a night (in the summer, it slowed down a bit in the winter) within a 10 block radius and Dahmer lived 1 block away from my apartment.  Could anything be worse than that?

First of all, you murder a night is an obvious exaggeration. There is no way there were over 300 murders a year in that area. Secondly, the OP is talking about current times. I only recall hearing about one or two murders anywhere near campus in the past decade. You would have to be true idiot to commit a crime anywhere near Marquette, because there are hundreds of cameras and two separate police departments constantly patrolling the area.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »

wow!  so some nights there were 2 or 3?  come on man!  i lived on 24th and wells 1980-81 and i don't even remember a purse snatching.  i guess after i left, all hell broke loose ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 06:32:00 PM »
OK, I stand corrected.  I went back and looked at statistics and it was >1 shooting per night.  Not murder.  1990/91 was the peak for both in Milwaukee however.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »
very good school, though their academic rankings are inflated due to being in NYC.  Pretty campus but don't step outside of the gates after dark. The subway station to the city is a pretty sketchy and not a short walk from campus.  They have a campus in Manhattan that is a very nice building but it may only be for law and MBA programs. 

If you want to be in NYC it's a great option for those who cannot get in or don't want to go to NYU or Columbia.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
very good school, though their academic rankings are inflated due to being in NYC.  Pretty campus but don't step outside of the gates after dark. The subway station to the city is a pretty sketchy and not a short walk from campus.  They have a campus in Manhattan that is a very nice building but it may only be for law and MBA programs. 

If you want to be in NYC it's a great option for those who cannot get in or don't want to go to NYU or Columbia.

Yeah! that B/D Station at the corner of Fordham Road and Grand Concourse is as urban as it gets! Much better to take Metro North into Manhattan but being college kids they probably don't due to the more expensive fares.   Agree about the ranking inflation too, although in fairness Fordham's standardized test scores are higher than ours, so they'd be ranked higher than us regardless but no doubt their raking is inflated generally due to NYC and Northeastern premium.  Unfortunately all but the very best Midwestern schools (places like U Chi, Northwestern, ND and maybe Vandy) are penalized due to northeastern elitist snobbery and that's a shame.  Not many folks on here agree with my POV on that issue but most folks on here don't live in the northeast.  I do, and can verify that Billy speaks the truth.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:48:53 PM by Disco Hippie »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »
Unfortunately all but the very best Midwestern schools (places like U Chi, Northwestern, ND and maybe Vandy) are penalized due to northeastern elitist snobbery and that's a shame.  Not many folks on here agree with my POV on that issue but most folks on here don't live in the northeast.  I do, and can verify that Billy speaks the truth.

Having grown up on the east coast and lived in the midwest, this is definitely true. Although, I've found it's changed to some degree in D.C. for Marquette.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
Yeah! that B/D Station at the corner of Fordham Road and Grand Concourse is as urban as it gets! Much better to take Metro North into Manhattan but being college kids they probably don't due to the more expensive fares.   Agree about the ranking inflation too, although in fairness Fordham's standardized test scores are higher than ours, so they'd be ranked higher than us regardless but no doubt their raking is inflated generally due to NYC and Northeastern premium.  Unfortunately all but the very best Midwestern schools (places like U Chi, Northwestern, ND and maybe Vandy) are penalized due to northeastern elitist snobbery and that's a shame.  Not many folks on here agree with my POV on that issue but most folks on here don't live in the northeast.  I do, and can verify that Billy speaks the truth.
Fordham acceptance rate 44 percent and higher test scores means they understand how to play the ratings game. For a long time they were the number 2 school in NY but NYU has long since surpassed them. However, the reputation is still there.

I think Fordham  also benefits from the reputation of their law school, which is very well regarded.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
  Agree about the ranking inflation too, although in fairness Fordham's standardized test scores are higher than ours, so they'd be ranked higher than us regardless but no doubt their raking is inflated generally due to NYC and Northeastern premium.  Unfortunately all but the very best Midwestern schools (places like U Chi, Northwestern, ND and maybe Vandy) are penalized due to northeastern elitist snobbery and that's a shame.  Not many folks on here agree with my POV on that issue but most folks on here don't live in the northeast.  I do, and can verify that Billy speaks the truth.
[/quote]

The acceptance rate gets depressed because they have more applicants who want to go to school in NYC that can't get into Columbia or NYU and Fordham is still a stretch for them so admissions can be more selective and turn away more students.  In the US News rankings, admission rate is a critical component so schools that are rankings obsessed will encourage more applications from kids who have little to no chance of getting in just to lower the acceptance rate (the Common Application is helping them with that).

Funny you mentioned the Metro North stop.  When I was a MU student I was considering Fordham for grad school. While visiting family in Westchester we were taking the Metro North back from the City and came to the Fordham Road stop.  Broken glass, graffiti and trash everywhere. I crossed Fordham off the list!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

The acceptance rate gets depressed because they have more applicants who want to go to school in NYC that can't get into Columbia or NYU and Fordham is still a stretch for them so admissions can be more selective and turn away more students.  In the US News rankings, admission rate is a critical component so schools that are rankings obsessed will encourage more applications from kids who have little to no chance of getting in just to lower the acceptance rate (the Common Application is helping them with that).

Funny you mentioned the Metro North stop.  When I was a MU student I was considering Fordham for grad school. While visiting family in Westchester we were taking the Metro North back from the City and came to the Fordham Road stop.  Broken glass, graffiti and trash everywhere. I crossed Fordham off the list!

The Fordham Metro North stop has been renovated in the last 5 years and is much better now.  The area is still sketch city but it's going to be a while before gentrification hits the Bx.

As for their acceptance rate, I'm not so sure that many of their applicants have no chance of getting in, I just think their academics have increased and because they're in NYC they attract a helluva lot of them so they can be more selective and I suspect are at the point where half their decisions are based on non academic criteria.  My niece was waitlisted even though her guidance counselor and most others thought her chances of admission was over 60%.  Not a shoe in by any means, but better than average chance we thought and she was accepted at some other schools ranked just as high and a one or two even higher.  I know their applications have almost doubled to 45K over a 3 yr period whereas ours went from 22K to 12K in a single year.  As I've stated on here many times, I dont' think MU should target applicants unlikely to be admitted just to boost their acceptance rate but they could target more "qualified" students so that MU too could resort to non academic criteria in their decision making. 

An 89% acceptance rate, which it was last year, is just embarrassing.  Don't believe me?, it's on MU's OIRA website (office of institutional research) and Princeton Review here:  https://www.princetonreview.com/college/marquette-university-1022668
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:25:02 AM by Disco Hippie »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »
I, for one, say thank you Fordham.  Thank you for graduating Joe Chatouny so he can come to MU.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
I, for one, say thank you Fordham.  Thank you for graduating Joe Chatouny so he can come to MU.

The big selling point was that there is no wall around MU's campus.

feedback