[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fordham University  (Read 9684 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Fordham University
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 12:16:51 AM »
My son wants to go to Fordham.  I know very little about it except that it's Jesuit.  He's accepted to their Chemistry program.  Anyone have kids / friends / or any alumni who can give some advice about it?    It's not a school he's visited, and I've never been there either.  Hope scoop can round up some good advice!
It is a good quality school with a positive reputation. The school campus is nice . It is walled off and surrounded by a very lousy neighborhood. .  It sits next to the Metro North commuter rail line and is 18 minutes into Manhattan. So if you want to take advantage of the city it is very easy.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 06:23:27 AM »
The fact that you haven't figured him out says way more about you than anything else.

first off, how is it that you, the all knowing sully-bully, contends i haven't figured chicos out-so what if i did or not and how it says MORE about me that anything else?  so tell me sully, the all knowing, what does this tell about me? 

secondly, basing my knowledge of him(and/or wife) not lying is revealing of me?  most people would hear the story and move on.  but no...you guys not only challenge him, but then insult him and his wife on top of that and expect no internet blow-back?  then right on schedule, the pack comes out to continue to bludgeon him, day after day after week after month.  your continual onslaught was demeaning to one who was nothing but forthright-end of story. 

during and since school, chicos has had many opportunities to hang with some pretty influential people, go to many big time events and he has handled them professionally.  he has been loyally married for 20 some to 30 years, raising 2 very fine children who are excelling at the colleges of their choice ; one a student athlete living a model student life-that is in fact very revealing of the parents

the chicos you pretend to know couldn't be any further from reality.  he's a debater, he's an arguer, and he comes loaded for bear. he can be very fair if you if take the time to listen as opposed to reacting; you might see something different. when you guys shoot first, then ask questions, it sets the hostile tone right off the bat

you guys effectively drove a good guy off this board who had a lot of interesting information

don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 07:52:53 AM »

first off, how is it that you, the all knowing sully-bully, contends i haven't figured chicos out-so what if i did or not and how it says MORE about me that anything else?  so tell me sully, the all knowing, what does this tell about me? 

secondly, basing my knowledge of him(and/or wife) not lying is revealing of me?  most people would hear the story and move on.  but no...you guys not only challenge him, but then insult him and his wife on top of that and expect no internet blow-back?  then right on schedule, the pack comes out to continue to bludgeon him, day after day after week after month.  your continual onslaught was demeaning to one who was nothing but forthright-end of story. 

during and since school, chicos has had many opportunities to hang with some pretty influential people, go to many big time events and he has handled them professionally.  he has been loyally married for 20 some to 30 years, raising 2 very fine children who are excelling at the colleges of their choice ; one a student athlete living a model student life-that is in fact very revealing of the parents

the chicos you pretend to know couldn't be any further from reality.  he's a debater, he's an arguer, and he comes loaded for bear. he can be very fair if you if take the time to listen as opposed to reacting; you might see something different. when you guys shoot first, then ask questions, it sets the hostile tone right off the bat

you guys effectively drove a good guy off this board who had a lot of interesting information

Right. It’s all someone else’s fault. Poor Chicos is just a victim.

Your lack of perspective is stunning. Not surprising though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »

Right. It’s all someone else’s fault. Poor Chicos is just a victim.

Your lack of perspective is stunning. Not surprising though.
Never used your favorite default term, victim
Your failure to see your own projection is, well, par for your course.  I tended bar thru school rubbing shoulders with all kinds from mafia to taxi drivers.  I then proceeded on to See/ meet/ treat many thousands of patients of all walks of life, newborns to nursing homes, convicts and drug addicts to those of the clergy,  people of all different narionalities, races and religions, rich, poor, famous, not so famous and those who think they are famous.  Blue.collar , white collar.   No, I haven’t seen it all, but to say I have a lack of perspective is incredibly arrogant, but not surprising coming from you

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »

No worries, he's driven himself back here several times, even after being banned.  He might be a great guy in person, but his internet 'persona' is so toxic he has been removed from the board several times.  The fact that he keeps coming back with new names every few months shows that he thinks the rules don't apply to him.  I'm not surprised.  The man is clearly deranged, and the proof is that he pretends to be someone else every time he comes back.  If he was open and honest each time, he'd probably not be ridiculed as much. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »

Solid man, solid, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
It is a good quality school with a positive reputation. The school campus is nice . It is walled off and surrounded by a very lousy neighborhood. .  It sits next to the Metro North commuter rail line and is 18 minutes into Manhattan. So if you want to take advantage of the city it is very easy.
Thanks... amazing how the rest of the thread was hijacked!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »
Thanks... amazing how the rest of the thread was hijacked!

I accept full blame, and I apologize again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
Never used your favorite default term, victim
Your failure to see your own projection is, well, par for your course.  I tended bar thru school rubbing shoulders with all kinds from mafia to taxi drivers.  I then proceeded on to See/ meet/ treat many thousands of patients of all walks of life, newborns to nursing homes, convicts and drug addicts to those of the clergy,  people of all different narionalities, races and religions, rich, poor, famous, not so famous and those who think they are famous.  Blue.collar , white collar.   No, I haven’t seen it all, but to say I have a lack of perspective is incredibly arrogant, but not surprising coming from you

<yawn>

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
No worries, he's driven himself back here several times, even after being banned.  He might be a great guy in person, but his internet 'persona' is so toxic he has been removed from the board several times.  The fact that he keeps coming back with new names every few months shows that he thinks the rules don't apply to him.  I'm not surprised.  The man is clearly deranged, and the proof is that he pretends to be someone else every time he comes back.  If he was open and honest each time, he'd probably not be ridiculed as much.

many here also believe he was driven from this board unfairly as there are others who are still on this board with long long leashes...all depends, eyn'a? ;) ;)  btw, he is as deranged as most of us on here as well

oh yeah-go fordham!! 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
Drove him off??!!?  LOL.  I wish that were the case.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Drove him off??!!?  LOL.  I wish that were the case.

It was easier to drive out the roaches from the apartment I lived in my junior year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
It was easier to drive out the roaches from the apartment I lived in my junior year.

Legit LOL

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:59 PM »
I strongly considered Fordham just a few years ago and I know a good amount of ppl who went there. I graduated from Boston college high in 2013 and my final 3 college choices were Fordham, providence and Marquette. I visited Fordham several times and the campus is beautiful. It’s completely gated and closed off and has beautiful lawns and nice old buildings. They have a strong academic reputation, even compared to other competitive catholic and Jesuit colleges. The location is a major part of the school and it’s in a really cool neighborhood. Just south of campus is an authentic Italian neighborhood with awesome restaurants along Arthur ave and 187th st. Fordham has a metro north train stop right next to campus that is really convenient to Manhattan.

Here are some potential negatives to consider. I’m a city kid so the location/neighborhood around Fordham was a big selling point for me but it’s definitely not for everyone. Once you leave the gated campus the Bronx hits you right in the face: loud, very busy, graffiti everywhere, bars on windows. This is something that didn’t bother me at all but it’s pretty foreign for a lot of kids so I don’t know about your kids background. I also wanted a big sports school with a lot of pride surrounding the schools sports teams and Fordham is not like that at all. Fordham is also a pretty wealthy school, and they draw from all over but the majority are wealthy white kids from Long Island, West Chester, jersey and Connecticut. Again, it depends on your kids background but it felt a little snobby for me. Being in NY sounds great but I’m not sure how often Fordham kids really go into Manhattan. Your kid may be mislead and picture themselves hanging around Manhattan every weekend but that’s not usually the case. However, they do have a campus in Manhattan in Lincoln center (just west of Central Park) that is an option to live at if they want to do the Manhattan thing.

Fordham is a great school and lots of bc high kids have gone there for years and enjoyed it. But it’s definitely not for everyone and given its uniqueness id absolutely visit before committing to go there. Le me know a little bit more about your sons background and interests and let me know if you have any specific questions at all.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:30 PM »
I strongly considered Fordham just a few years ago and I know a good amount of ppl who went there. I graduated from Boston college high in 2013 and my final 3 college choices were Fordham, providence and Marquette. I visited Fordham several times and the campus is beautiful. It’s completely gated and closed off and has beautiful lawns and nice old buildings. They have a strong academic reputation, even compared to other competitive catholic and Jesuit colleges. The location is a major part of the school and it’s in a really cool neighborhood. Just south of campus is an authentic Italian neighborhood with awesome restaurants along Arthur ave and 187th st. Fordham has a metro north train stop right next to campus that is really convenient to Manhattan.

Here are some potential negatives to consider. I’m a city kid so the location/neighborhood around Fordham was a big selling point for me but it’s definitely not for everyone. Once you leave the gated campus the Bronx hits you right in the face: loud, very busy, graffiti everywhere, bars on windows. This is something that didn’t bother me at all but it’s pretty foreign for a lot of kids so I don’t know about your kids background. I also wanted a big sports school with a lot of pride surrounding the schools sports teams and Fordham is not like that at all. Fordham is also a pretty wealthy school, and they draw from all over but the majority are wealthy white kids from Long Island, West Chester, jersey and Connecticut. Again, it depends on your kids background but it felt a little snobby for me. Being in NY sounds great but I’m not sure how often Fordham kids really go into Manhattan. Your kid may be mislead and picture themselves hanging around Manhattan every weekend but that’s not usually the case. However, they do have a campus in Manhattan in Lincoln center (just west of Central Park) that is an option to live at if they want to do the Manhattan thing.

Fordham is a great school and lots of bc high kids have gone there for years and enjoyed it. But it’s definitely not for everyone and given its uniqueness id absolutely visit before committing to go there. Le me know a little bit more about your sons background and interests and let me know if you have any specific questions at all.

Hmm...sounds like the MU campus 50 years ago with no wall. The old campus wasn't pretty like today, but it had character and you really felt like you're part of the Milwaukee community.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
Hmm...sounds like the MU campus 50 years ago with no wall. The old campus wasn't pretty like today, but it had character and you really felt like you're part of the Milwaukee community.

I agree to an extent but the Bronx is waaaay more urban than the west side of mke. Significantly more foot traffic, car/train/bus traffic, and way louder and more in your face. The area around mu, and mke as a whole, is a pretty quiet place relative to nyc

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
I agree to an extent but the Bronx is waaaay more urban than the west side of mke. Significantly more foot traffic, car/train/bus traffic, and way louder and more in your face. The area around mu, and mke as a whole, is a pretty quiet place relative to nyc

Having gone to MU and visited friends at Fordham several times, this is truth.

I like both schools, but the area surrounding MU in MKE is & was nothing like the Bronx neighborhood right outside Fordham

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Almost went to Fordham. I liked both the Bronx and Manhattan campuses, and loved that they have a presence in midtown. Its reputation on the East Coast is that it's not in the same tier as Boston College or Georgetown, but is about on par with Villanova. Not a bad thing. Though obviously it lives in Columbia and NYU's shadow in NYC.

The decision should come down to what your son wants to do with his college years and with his chemistry degree. I assume because he wants to go specifically to Fordham, he has his reasons (and presumably one of them is that he wants to be in NYC). But programs matter at Fordham. My understanding is that the school is pretty well-connected in finance (some i-banking but especially trading), so if your son aims to use his chemistry degree to develop algorithms for hedge funds, there are worse places he could choose. New York offers certain opportunities you really can't get anywhere else, so hopefully his decision is, at least partly, centered around that. I imagine a campus visit will clear up a lot of questions.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »

My last time to MU was in 1996. I was shocked by the lack of students walking on campus between classes and just people outside walking on an errand or their place of business. In the sixties on the corner of 12th and Wells there was a laundromat open 24/7 and always filled with students and Milwaukee residents even on weekends. During the time between classes the side walks on West Wisconsin could barley accommodate all the students especially around the Varsity Theatre at 11am when 600 freshman were going to Biology class. The streets were lined with cars as parking was at a premium and there were at the time a myriad of local businesses on campus with people going too and fro. The place was alive and thriving despite all the urban renewal going on at the time. Sure it may not be like the Bronx, but back in my day in was bustling.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »
Ya oughta return four a visit. Streetcars are makin' a cumback. Might go write past Dal's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
Just might splurge and go to a game in Milwaukee next season.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Late to the thread on this but wanted to weigh in since I'm both originally from, and currently reside in the NYC metro area.  Grew up about a 40 min drive from Fordham's Rose hill campus and my Dad is an alum.

Everything Celtic Truth said about Fordham is pretty spot on.  Beautiful campus that has improved considerably over the last 10 years in particular.  It was my niece's first choice when she entered college in Fall '16 so we toured the campus with her and it's changed quite a bit since my parents used to take me to mass once a month at the chapel on campus when I was growing up.  She was wait listed and ended up going elsewhere.  In any event, The surrounding neighborhood is extremely urban and as Celtic says, not remotely comparable to the west side of MKE.  Yes Little Italy nearby is great but that area in general is bad with a capital B.  Still, it's a very walled in campus with outstanding security because it pretty much has to be and ironically because of that it's less urban than MU in the sense that it has a traditional campus whereas MU is part of the city with MKE's main thoroughfare cutting right through it.

The school draws from a much larger geographic footprint than it used to even as recently as 10 years ago. I suspect because so many prospective students want to be in NYC.  Sure there are a lot of metro NYC kids, but it has less NYC Metro area students than MU has from metro Chicago.  Their undergraduate population is more or less the same size as MU, I think slighly larger say 2200 per class to MU's 2000, but Fordham has more than 3x the number of applicants than MU (45K compared to MU's 13K last year) so it's significantly harder to get into as a result.  Their USNWR raking is 61 and we're 90.  That's something that's always irked me because Fordham is the Jesuit school that's most comparable to MU both in terms of size and academics, although MU is considerably stronger in the the health sciences and has a dental school, so that ranking disparity annoys the hell out of me because MU is just as good.   When I was looking at colleges, it did not have a reputation as a rich kid school at all and as far as I know it still doesn't but perhaps that's changed over the years.   Overall it's a great school, but lacks big time sports, and does live in the shadow of Columbia and NYU.  If you want to be in NYC though, you can't do much better, and unlike Columbia and certainly NYU, Fordam's campus is much more akin to a traditional New England college campus which is appealing to many.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:19:36 PM by Disco Hippie »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »
Truth & Hippie - thanks - great input.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
Late to the thread on this but wanted to weigh in since I'm both originally from, and currently reside in the NYC metro area.  Grew up about a 40 min drive from Fordham's Rose hill campus and my Dad is an alum.

Everything Celtic Truth said about Fordham is pretty spot on.  Beautiful campus that has improved considerably over the last 10 years in particular.  It was my niece's first choice when she entered college in Fall '16 so we toured the campus with her and it's changed quite a bit since my parents used to take me to mass once a month at the chapel on campus when I was growing up.  She was wait listed and ended up going elsewhere.  In any event, The surrounding neighborhood is extremely urban and as Celtic says, not remotely comparable to the west side of MKE.  Yes Little Italy nearby is great but that area in general is bad with a capital B.  Still, it's a very walled in campus with outstanding security because it pretty much has to be and ironically because of that it's less urban than MU in the sense that it has a traditional campus whereas MU is part of the city with MKE's main thoroughfare cutting right through it.

The school draws from a much larger geographic footprint than it used to even as recently as 10 years ago. I suspect because so many prospective students want to be in NYC.  Sure there are a lot of metro NYC kids, but it has less NYC Metro area students than MU has from metro Chicago.  Their undergraduate population is more or less the same size as MU, I think slighly larger say 2200 per class to MU's 2000, but Fordham has more than 3x the number of applicants than MU (45K compared to MU's 13K last year) so it's significantly harder to get into as a result.  Their USNWR raking is 61 and we're 90.  That's something that's always irked me because Fordham is the Jesuit school that's most comparable to MU both in terms of size and academics, although MU is considerably stronger in the the health sciences and has a dental school, so that ranking disparity annoys the hell out of me because MU is just as good.   When I was looking at colleges, it did not have a reputation as a rich kid school at all and as far as I know it still doesn't but perhaps that's changed over the years.   Overall it's a great school, but lacks big time sports, and does live in the shadow of Columbia and NYU.  If you want to be in NYC though, you can't do much better, and unlike Columbia and certainly NYU, Fordam's campus is much more akin to a traditional New England college campus which is appealing to many.
All this is accurate . However, I would add Fordham is in a very lousy area much worse than MU. So I would agree with Disco Hippie assessment that MU should be at least at parity with Fordham in rankings. Only difference is Fordham plays the admissions game and we don't and voila they are rated higher.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »
All this is accurate . However, I would add Fordham is in a very lousy area much worse than MU. So I would agree with Disco Hippie assessment that MU should be at least at parity with Fordham in rankings. Only difference is Fordham plays the admissions game and we don't and voila they are rated higher.
When I went to MU there was at least one murder a night (in the summer, it slowed down a bit in the winter) within a 10 block radius and Dahmer lived 1 block away from my apartment.  Could anything be worse than that?

feedback