Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] NCAA Free Agent Tracker  (Read 28130 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] NCAA Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »
Personally I think it's an easy sell, but Louisville loses 4 of their top 5 scorers. If he wants to be the focal point of a high major team, that may be his best shot. Mack, like Steele at Xavier, is aiming at bringing in three grad transfers. Zach Johnson and Mike Cunningham are also slated to visit.

Coming here, he's likely at best the third option. I'd argue that's the third option on a certain NCAA team, a team that loses 30 mpg that he fits perfectly into, and a team where his distribution will be best suited because floor spacing will open up driving lanes and he can both tally points and assists easily. And we're not sitting on a NCAA investigation like the 2015-16 Louisville team that wasted the senior years of Damion Lee and Trey Lewis.

Are we the best option? I certainly think so, but I can see the sales pitch for Louisville too.

Given the circumstances I don't see us losing this guy to Louisville. A freshman in the 2020 class? Sure, they'd probably be favorites over us. But a 1 year guy for 18-19? We're Kansas and Louisville is Marquette in that battle.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
It's not as big of a leap as you may think:

TCU went from a #4 NIT seed last year to a #6 seed NCAA team this year.
Houston was a #2 NIT last year - #6 NCAA seed this year.
Clemson was a #2 NIT last year - #5 NCAA this year.

It is doable but a 5/6 seed is what I see as next year's ceiling.  Things need to go just right for that best case scenario to happen.

A couple things go wrong and we're an 8/9.  That's why I put a range on my expectations.  I included what I felt is realistic best case & worst case scenarios; 6-9 seed.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
I'm interested in why Wojo seems to be so focused on Chartouney.  TAMU has both Mooney and Cremo as more highly ranked.  MU has such an obvious need and the schools chasing those 2 don't seem to be situations that MU couldn't compete with.  It seems like Wojo has jumped on Chartouney from the first minute he became available and Wojo is betting the farm on him.  Is it that he really wants a pass first PG given the scoring options he already has on the incoming team and he doesn't want to face another Andrew situation where he has to keep badgering the PG to focus on assists?  Does he really want  Chartouney's defense and steals?  Is it just some intangible that he sees in Chartouney after talking to him that is not strictly talent evaluation?  Hey I'm ready to be 100% more excited about next year if we get the answer at PG because the rest of the positions are well handled (assuming Sam comes back at 100%).   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
It is doable but a 5/6 seed is what I see as next year's ceiling.  Things need to go just right for that best case scenario to happen.

A couple things go wrong and we're an 8/9.  That's why I put a range on my expectations.  I included what I felt is realistic best case & worst case scenarios; 6-9 seed.

I've said 5 seed so I'm sticking with that.  You are right that it is likely the ceiling, but no reason not to be optimistic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
I'm interested in why Wojo seems to be so focused on Chartouney.  TAMU has both Mooney and Cremo as more highly ranked.  MU has such an obvious need and the schools chasing those 2 don't seem to be situations that MU couldn't compete with.  It seems like Wojo has jumped on Chartouney from the first minute he became available and Wojo is betting the farm on him.  Is it that he really wants a pass first PG given the scoring options he already has on the incoming team and he doesn't want to face another Andrew situation where he has to keep badgering the PG to focus on assists?  Does he really want  Chartouney's defense and steals?  Is it just some intangible that he sees in Chartouney after talking to him that is not strictly talent evaluation?  Hey I'm ready to be 100% more excited about next year if we get the answer at PG because the rest of the positions are well handled (assuming Sam comes back at 100%).   

Mooney and Cremo are better overall players than JC IMHO. However, Auburn pointed out in another thread that JC is the highest rated player in defensive value add that is currently available. Chartouney may be the best fit of anyone who is available. I will say that when I eyeballed Mooney's defensive stats, he seemed like an equal or even better defender to JC but Auburn is a lot better at this stuff than I am so I'll take his word for it.

You also have to remember that recruiting time is a limited resource. I'm sure Wojo is going to be all over the country visiting recruits in the upcoming weeks. You have to pick your spots wisely. Wojo jumped on JC early enough that it seems like he has boxed almost everyone else out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:38:32 PM by TAMU Chardonnay »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Here are my thoughts NAA:

1. Chartouny has the defensive ability we lack.  That's our top need.

2. Combine that with his size and distribution skills and he pairs very well with Markus.

3. Marquette was involved with Cremo early on but for whatever reason MU isn't on his current list.

4. Mooney might be a better player but better players have more suitors.  Is the small chance of landing Mooney worth the time when Chartouny might be locked up by next week?  How long is Mooney going to wait to make a decision?

5. Mooney also came on the board later, so things with Chartouny were already advancing.

6. Chartouny played in a better conference, the A-10, than either Mooney or Cremo in the Summit and American East.  Less of a jump to the Big East.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
My expectations are a 6-9 seed.  I feel like quite a few people on this board are overestimating our talent.

Going from NIT #2 seed to NCAA 6 seed is quite a leap.  I think we need to land JC, Joey & Ed to both be solid starters/top 5 minutes, and at least one sophomore to be or Anim to make a leap.

You can't just look at Marquette in a vacuum. You have to look at what else is going on around the NCAA. Next year is going to be interesting. A lot of the top teams from last year were younger teams that are going to get better or at least stay them same (depending on some draft decisions of course). Teams like Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Villanova, Michigan, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Duke, Nevada, Tennessee, Virginia,, Cincinnati, Florida, West Virginia, and Auburn were all top 25 teams last year and look to be even stronger.

But the teams that were right behind them? A lot of them look like they will take significant steps back. Ohio State, Houston, Seton Hall, Penn State, Notre Dame, Baylor, Saint Mary's, Wichita State, Louisville, Arizona, Arkansas, NC State, Arizona State....these teams that were top 20-40 type teams all look like they will be dropping in the rankings next season.

What I think might happen as a result is that we will see a smaller group of elite teams at the top but a lot of space for teams to move up into that 15-40 range of teams. Marquette is one of the teams that is positioned well to make that jump....especially if they land a quality grad transfer like JC.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »

Your answer is probably contained in this sentence from TAMU's profile:

"Mooney has about everything you could ask for in a shooting guard"

Wojo is looking for a tall PG who can play defense, isn't he?  It's about putting together a team, not the righest rated set of player profiles.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
Here are my thoughts NAA:

1. Chartouny has the defensive ability we lack.  That's our top need.

2. Combine that with his size and distribution skills and he pairs very well with Markus.

3. Marquette was involved with Cremo early on but for whatever reason MU isn't on his current list.

4. Mooney might be a better player but better players have more suitors.  Is the small chance of landing Mooney worth the time when Chartouny might be locked up by next week?  How long is Mooney going to wait to make a decision?

5. Mooney also came on the board later, so things with Chartouny were already advancing.

6. Chartouny played in a better conference, game  the A-10, than either Mooney or Cremo in the Summit and American East.  Less of a jump to the Big East.
[/b]
Having seen a couple Fordham games live my sense is Chartouny can compete at the Big East level. He plays at a slow pace though ,so I am not sure he is going to be a major impact player. If he has a well defined role he can be nexts years version of Trent Lockett in terms of value to the team. Overall,he would definitely be a solid addition for MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »
Your answer is probably contained in this sentence from TAMU's profile:

"Mooney has about everything you could ask for in a shooting guard"

Wojo is looking for a tall PG who can play defense, isn't he?  It's about putting together a team, not the righest rated set of player profiles.

For me this is exactly it. Of those three, Chartouny is the only true PG. Couple that with size, defense, and proving it against the highest level of competition of the three and he seems to be the safest option and best fit.

I think it's important that Chartouny also has the lowest percentage of shots taken. His history indicates he's looking to pass first. We need that with multiple proven scoring options back. He might not be the best player on the board, but he looks like the right one for this team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
How do we know that Wojo doesn't want both?  Or is getting his best probability and then getting more?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 09:35:31 PM »
For me this is exactly it. Of those three, Chartouny is the only true PG. Couple that with size, defense, and proving it against the highest level of competition of the three and he seems to be the safest option and best fit.

I think it's important that Chartouny also has the lowest percentage of shots taken. His history indicates he's looking to pass first. We need that with multiple proven scoring options back. He might not be the best player on the board, but he looks like the right one for this team.

Yep....  Is anyone really surprised that Wojo might value defense over offense after how the last 2 years played out?

He knows that we have plenty of offensive firepower with Markus, Sam, Joey etc.....he understands that to get this team to another level they need to make a jump defensively.......he thinks Chartoney can be a big step in that direction .......having a bigger pg who can defend, distribute and also contribute on the offensive end is a perfect match for what we need.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »
Throughout last season an awful lot of Scoopers were predicting big things for the Warriors in 2018-19. that was with Elliot and Howard sharing point guard duties. Now were on the verge of getting a stud defensive pass first point guard (just what we desperately needed) and everyone is tempering their optimism. Sultan is at least sticking with his projection but now, with what seems to be the best offseason news we could have hoped for around the corner his projection has become our ceiling. Did I miss some bad news?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
Who cares about predictions? I mean seriously.......what scoopers predict or project is worth absolutely nothing.......

I think we will be improved.....how that plays out as far as victories and seeding I have no idea and nobody else does either.

Hopefully we add Chartoney because I think it's obvious we will be better with him then without him.

This constant back and forth regarding expectations and predictions is just tiresome.

My God it's April........even though it feels like January outside.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
Who cares about predictions? I mean seriously.......what scoopers predict or project is worth absolutely nothing.......

I think we will be improved....

Lots of people, I guess - since they're making predictions.

Including you, since "I think we'll be improved" sure sounds like a prediction.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
My predictions have not changed. If we get JC, I will be even more optimistic.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
Lenny

I sure hope so. On positive note, he looks like a guy that really improves next season. On negative note, if he goes to Louisville, I think Wojo’s days are numbered.

Agreed. If he doesn't get Chartouny he might as well resign immediately.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
On negative note, if he goes to Louisville, I think Wojo’s days are numbered.

I'm sorry, but what an absolutely moronic thing to infer.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:20 AM »
MU82
My point is simply based off getting the team everyone is counting on for next season. Without a real PG it is going to be difficult to meet many folks expectations.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
MU82
My point is simply based off getting the team everyone is counting on for next season. Without a real PG it is going to be difficult to meet many folks expectations.

agree Goose, further you could have said "many folks realistic expectations..."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Realistic expectation for next season is being the 20th to 35th best team in the country. And that's without JC.  With JC it raises to 15-30.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 10:40:13 AM »
Realistic expectation for next season is being the 20th to 35th best team in the country. And that's without JC.  With JC it raises to 15-30.

Doesn't a 7 seed (your projection), translate into top 28? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Yes?
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
Yes?

Just didn't understand why then you were projecting out to 35? 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 11:16:22 AM »
27.5 is the median / avg. in this case, so 28
Goal is National Championship

feedback