[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] NCAA Free Agent Tracker  (Read 28379 times)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: [Paint Touches] NCAA Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
But as you noted looked very efficient as a freshman. The hope with McEwen is that with a year off he could get back to freshman year form. Marcus Foster was a similar situation when he transferred to Creighton. He had an amazing freshman year followed by an inefficient and blah sophomore year. He took a year off and was then All Big East for the Jays.

Note, I am not saying McEwen will be the next Marcus Foster. I am saying that there have been times when a player who sophomore slumped transferred and ended up getting better.

Most players that take  a year and half later off, get better.  Hope that is the case with Ed Morrow.  I really like transfers as they are
much more mature and I think humbled.  They realize that if they want to go to the next level, they need to play against better competition and
improve during individual workouts.  Kid would be 21 or so as a junior vs. a 18-19 yer old.  Like it.  Red-shirt really like Sacar.  Hope for Ike as well, but getting hurt really puts him behind the 8 ball, same might be so for Bailey, put Bailey today vs. Bailey 2 years ago, you can see the maturation process at work, much bigger.  Now can he play ball after 2 years off?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
 Stan has good sources on McEwen. He is close with a former coach on the Utah State staff.

Nobody is a sure thing but the transfers that we have taken have worked out pretty well .'...other then Harry.....and even he might have worked out if he had stayed for a couple more years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Note, I am not saying McEwen will be the next Marcus Foster. I am saying that there have been times when a player who sophomore slumped transferred and ended up getting better.

Entirely possible, and that's why I wouldn't write him off. Just pointing out that between his sophomore year efficiency and defense, there are some legit questions. I too hope a year if would allow us to see him playing at a better level than his freshman year. But I think it's fair to say that while his freshman year shows a lot of potential, his sophomore year gives some reasons of concern.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »
Entirely possible, and that's why I wouldn't write him off. Just pointing out that between his sophomore year efficiency and defense, there are some legit questions. I too hope a year if would allow us to see him playing at a better level than his freshman year. But I think it's fair to say that while his freshman year shows a lot of potential, his sophomore year gives some reasons of concern.

Agreed but when your averaging 16 points a game for a decent mid major and its a year of concern you know you have some potential.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
Quite honestly, I'd rather have Dachon Burke from Robert Morris. Although my preference of all of them would be Carr from Pittsburgh, 3 years left and an absolute lock down defender.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
Quite honestly, I'd rather have Dachon Burke from Robert Morris. Although my preference of all of them would be Carr from Pittsburgh, 3 years left and an absolute lock down defender.

1. I wouldn't be opposed to Carr. But what makes him a lockdown defender? D-rating of 113 and 1.3% stl rate don't exactly scream lockdown defender.  I'd be happy to see some stats back that up.

2. I really like the guards we're after in 2019 much better than Carr.  Much more potential for Carton or Watts to be a difference maker.

3. I like McEwen and Burke more than Carr due to their size.  I don't have a preference between McEwen and Burke because I really don't know much about them other than their stats.  McEwen looks like the better shooter, Burke the better defender but McEwen played in a better conference.  Hard to say which one I prefer. I'll take whichever one commits first.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »

Carr is definitely the best of the three. I personally like McEwen better because he played against much tougher competition then Burke and has more PG experience... But either would be a great pickup
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »
1. I wouldn't be opposed to Carr. But what makes him a lockdown defender? D-rating of 113 and 1.3% stl rate don't exactly scream lockdown defender.  I'd be happy to see some stats back that up.

I personally don't like D-rating. It heavily weights blocks and steals, relies on team defense statistics (so you could play perfect defense but if your teammate gives up a bucket it negatively impacts your d-rating) and also throws in defensive rebounding as a factor....sure defensive rebounding ends a possession, but you grabbing a long rebound that bounced to you after your defensive lapse gave up an open jumper doesn't make you a good defender.

Don't get me wrong, d-rating has its value, but I think its much more accurate when evaluating team defense instead of individual defense.

For individual defense, I prefer points per possession allowed as well as steal% and block%. These give you a better sense of a player's individual defensive ability IMHO. And Carr's stats in ppp allowed are very nice.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
Thanks TAMU. Very insightful post.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
MU82

I said if he does not land grad PG, his days may be numbered. Again, even TAMU said that if this upcoming year is a bust, that he would have Wojo on or close to hot seat. Not sure on why my statement is so far off base. It is simply off my belief that next year’s team will likely have similar success as this year’s, without a proven PG.

I guess I just thought the pre-emptive negativity wasn't necessary, Goose.

I know some folks here think that others are too optimistic, and I plead guilty to being one of the optimistic Scoopers. Partly because I really do think Wojo is doing a good job, and partly because I have found that being positive is more fun and productive than the alternative.

Basically, we have two choices on the eve of this kid's visit. One is to say something like, "I hope things go well. This could really make next season special and help our program overall, and I think Wojo will close the deal." And the other is to say something like "if he goes to Louisville, I think Wojo’s days are numbered."

It doesn't mean you were wrong - maybe if Chartouny goes to Louisville, Wojo really is doomed.

Anyway ...

I hope things go well. This could really make next season special and help our program overall, and I think Wojo will close the deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
I guess I just thought the pre-emptive negativity wasn't necessary, Goose.

I know some folks here think that others are too optimistic, and I plead guilty to being one of the optimistic Scoopers. Partly because I really do think Wojo is doing a good job, and partly because I have found that being positive is more fun and productive than the alternative.

Basically, we have two choices on the eve of this kid's visit. One is to say something like, "I hope things go well. This could really make next season special and help our program overall, and I think Wojo will close the deal." And the other is to say something like "if he goes to Louisville, I think Wojo’s days are numbered."

It doesn't mean you were wrong - maybe if Chartouny goes to Louisville, Wojo really is doomed.

Anyway ...

I hope things go well. This could really make next season special and help our program overall, and I think Wojo will close the deal.

Glad you stay this week.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »
MU 82

Truthfully, I was not trying to be negative. I hope you know, by now, that I very much want a special season or a decade of special seasons. Have said many times, I have no agenda on who is the coach, style of play or type of player recruited. All I am interested in seeing is a big time winning program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
MU 82

Truthfully, I was not trying to be negative. I hope you know, by now, that I very much want a special season or a decade of special seasons. Have said many times, I have no agenda on who is the coach, style of play or type of player recruited. All I am interested in seeing is a big time winning program.

That's cool, Goose. I'm probably not the only one who thought it was a bit negative, but who really cares what anybody else thinks. I know your heart's in the right place.

Go Marquette!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2018, 06:33:59 AM »
MU 82

I think we are a lot closer to being there today than we were Thursday.

Hopefully, this is the piece we need.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2018, 07:19:39 AM »
Carr is definitely the best of the three. I personally like McEwen better because he played against much tougher competition then Burke and has more PG experience... But either would be a great pickup

If you sign any of them it will be hard to sign one of those top high school point guards in my estimation.  Then again it is better to sign one of
them and not have to worry if you can sign one of them, then you will have space for a center, but not sure we are on any right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
McEwen is more of a combo guard right?  He can play off the ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/03/31/2018-ncaa-free-agent-tracker-3-31-edition/

Marquette is probably out of the grad transfer game but I'll keep updating the tracker for a while.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
On positive note, he looks like a guy that really improves next season. On negative note, if he goes to Louisville, I think Wojo’s days are numbered.

Looks like Wojo's days aren't numbered.

I happen to think that's a good thing, but I know others do not.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
With us getting Chartouny, any sense on where we go with the last spot? Given that I don't know there are a lot of minutes to be had, I wouldn't mind pursuing the transfer market

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
With us getting Chartouny, any sense on where we go with the last spot? Given that I don't know there are a lot of minutes to be had, I wouldn't mind pursuing the transfer market

The staff visited Dachon Burke Thursday and Koby McEwen visited campus this weekend. They have continued to be mentioned with Marcus Carr as well. It seems like they want to fill that spot with a sit-out transfer guard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
MU82

Pretty sure you rehashed my post several times. Not exactly sure the need to note it again. Oh well, maybe you have too much time on your hands.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
Sounds like Villanova might be in on Joe Cremo.  Could mean that Donte DiVincenzo is gonna stay in the draft.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/2018/4/21/17265652/villanova-basketball-recruiting-joe-cremo-albany-transfer

I'm not going to complain if DD leaves and VU ends up with Cremo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
Interesting. My gut tells me that Spellman is going for sure. I don't think DD goes in the first round....but his stock may never be higher so I have no idea if he'll stay or go. Cremo would soften the blow of losing DD but he is a definite step down.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Last year, DePaul found some success by picking up a quality big man from a low major program in Marin Maric. Looks like they are hoping for a repeat, they picked up Femi Olujobi, a big man out of North Carolina A&T who averaged 16 and 8. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3133915/femi-olujobi

Hard to tell how those numbers will translate to the Big East. NCA&T was pretty bad last season and in his two years at Oakland he could barely get off the bench. Still, DePaul was hurting for size on next year's team and found a solid option to fill in the gap. I think we see another year where every team in the Big East is ranked in the top 100 which can be huge for SOS and RPI numbers.

Assuming Strus comes back and there are no other surprise departures, I think DePaul could win 5 or 6 games in conference next season. I think it will be them, Seton Hall, and St John's (assuming Ponds goes pro) battling it out for the last three spots.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
Assuming Strus comes back and there are no other surprise departures, I think DePaul could win 5 or 6 games in conference next season. I think it will be them, Seton Hall, and St John's (assuming Ponds goes pro) battling it out for the last three spots.

What's Ponds stock looking like? He struck me as someone who would benefit from another year, but with the constant roster turnover that has happened at St. John's he may be ready top move on as well.

feedback