[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 288740 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2300 on: May 29, 2024, 01:56:41 PM »
Planning a baby moon in Montreal, any recommendations?

Restaurant: https://jeromeferrer.ca/en/

The best tasting menu I've ever had.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: May 29, 2024, 01:57:52 PM »
Yeah she hasn't been nauseous since February so we're set there. Only slight concern is back pain making tourist walking difficult.

There is a smallish downtown area and some nice large public parks, otherwise I don't feel like it is too different from an American city.

Parking is miserable... IIRC.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: May 29, 2024, 02:21:04 PM »
Planning a baby moon in Montreal, any recommendations?
Joe Beef, Au Pied de Cochon, Chez Claudette for Poutine, Schwartz's Deli,
See if you can stay at the Queen Elizabeth

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: June 10, 2024, 07:12:20 AM »
I'm working to finalize our Nashville plans -- we will be there a week from Wednesday.

I'm still contemplating dinner.

Eat at husk. You're welcome in advance

While I'm certain that Husk is still a great restaurant, I'm wondering if this recommendation is from the Sean Brock days or if it is post-Brock.

Audrey (big Sean Brock fan)...

I'm kind of leaning in this direction.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2304 on: June 12, 2024, 09:20:11 AM »
I need Scoop to pontificate on Ireland and Japan.

I have a week in Ireland coming up in late summer: Dublin for a few days, tooling around eating pub food mostly, then heading up to Belfast for my bday dinner (Muddler's Club) and a wedding (Irish weddings are like 2 days of debauchery, they've rented a castle).

Any recommendations for pub food or museums in Dublin? Any suggestions on how to spend a day or two in Belfast after the wedding? Is Derry worth it for the history and violence of it all?

Japan is this fall for a few weeks. We're booked solid in Tokyo for a week hanging with friends that live there, but then I have 2 weeks in Kyoto that are pretty unstructured for now. I'm thinking a day trip to the Hiroshima museum (I really liked the War Remnants Museum in HCMC a few years back, neat to get a different perspective). I'm hoping the Nintendo museum will be open. And then... food and drink and exploring the towns? Any must-dos or must-sees or must-eats?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2305 on: June 12, 2024, 02:08:01 PM »

I have a week in Ireland coming up in late summer: Dublin for a few days, tooling around eating pub food mostly, then heading up to Belfast for my bday dinner (Muddler's Club) and a wedding (Irish weddings are like 2 days of debauchery, they've rented a castle).

Any recommendations for pub food or museums in Dublin? Any suggestions on how to spend a day or two in Belfast after the wedding? Is Derry worth it for the history and violence of it all?

Japan is this fall for a few weeks. We're booked solid in Tokyo for a week hanging with friends that live there, but then I have 2 weeks in Kyoto that are pretty unstructured for now. I'm thinking a day trip to the Hiroshima museum (I really liked the War Remnants Museum in HCMC a few years back, neat to get a different perspective). I'm hoping the Nintendo museum will be open. And then... food and drink and exploring the towns? Any must-dos or must-sees or must-eats?

In Tokyo we did a really cool omakase experience at The Bellwood, great cocktails as well also had some super unique sakes at Heiwa Doburoku Kabutocho saké brewery.

Belfast, go to the titanic museum if you find that stuff interesting, the black cab troubles tour is 100% worth it, The Crown Bar is beautiful and worth a drink.

Dublin is Dublin, Teelings distillery was a blast but I'm a whiskey nerd. If you don't know much about Irish sport culture see if you can catch a Hurling or Gaelic football match at croke park, if you can't still go and do the GAA museum there. For food in that city I hope someone else has found good recommendations because I'm always underwhelmed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 03:05:49 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: June 12, 2024, 02:32:56 PM »

Interesting contrast.  Japan is probably my #1 desired spot to travel to right now (tenatively looking at a 2 week trip in a 18-24 months for a belated 40th birthday celebration).  Ive been in Tokyo for an hour or two once during my dozen times laying over between Narita and Haneda.  So I'll definitely watch this with interest.

Meanwhile, Ireland is probably the big European tourist destination that is lowest on my list.  No disrespect at all to the Emerald Isle or the Ire-philes in the group, I have a bunch of stuff in the UK/Scotland/Norway to see for a non-moderate to warm weather Euro holiday and many of the "classic" Irish draws aren't big for me.  But I'll get there eventually (still in my plans to take a 3-4 month sabbatical and live in London and that would very much work) and very much plan to go to a hurling match someday.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: June 12, 2024, 03:34:07 PM »
Meanwhile, Ireland is probably the big European tourist destination that is lowest on my list.  No disrespect at all to the Emerald Isle or the Ire-philes in the group, I have a bunch of stuff in the UK/Scotland/Norway to see for a non-moderate to warm weather Euro holiday and many of the "classic" Irish draws aren't big for me.  But I'll get there eventually (still in my plans to take a 3-4 month sabbatical and live in London and that would very much work) and very much plan to go to a hurling match someday.

If I wasn't a citizen and had all the memories of living there each summer I doubt id have as much fondness for it as I do. Scotland's the same landscape but objectively better, Dublin is a smaller lesser version of London. There's castles but nowhere near the size of mainland Europe or England. There's museums about the troubles but that's hardly on par with war museums in other countries.

The sport culture is fairly unique among westernized countries with only Aussie Rules in Australia being comparable. Irish whiskey's having a revival so there's that as well.

Essentially it has a lot to offer but I think you are making the right move. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2308 on: June 13, 2024, 07:54:56 PM »
Not a big Ireland fan here.

Most interesting part  our trip was tracing my wife's Dad's family's heritage. We went to Waterford and then to Ring, where my father-in-law's family debarked for the USA from. Most interesting element was seeing an attractive hostess at a restaurant/tavern in Ring who was a spitting image of my wife in her late teens.

Was able to explore graveyards where some of my wife's long, lost relatives were buried. Gave us some perspective on why her Dad's family ended up as dairy farmers in Lafayette County, WI.

Dublin was boring and Irish food doesn't hold a candle to the French and Italians and even the Germans!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: June 14, 2024, 11:54:45 AM »
Was just in Dublin in April. Day trip to Belfast.

Food and music at Darky Kelly’s. 
Go to church, have a drink, then go to confession. ;D
https://www.thechurch.ie/
https://c11407968.wixsite.com/ryan

If you want to drink with locals, hit the pubs on Camden St lower. Bleeding horse was nice. Talk to locals in the pubs.
Another locals area is Ranalegh St. pubs and restaurants abound. Night market had some of the best original Thai food I have had anywhere. Butcher block for steaks. Reservations recommended at both places.

Fire steakhouse on Dawson st is really good and cool pubs nearby.
Things to do - stroll through St Stephens park, You do have to do Trinity Library.

Second the Belfast recs on the crown and the black cab tours. Maybe the  Giants Causeway too. https://www.ireland.com/en-us/things-to-do/attractions/giants-causeway/
Kelly’s Cellar is a place to have a drink if you are longing for an Ardmore like experience. Along with the Crown, claims to be the oldest bar in Belfast. Don’t think they’ve cleaned Kelly’s since it opened.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 12:04:35 PM by pbiflyer »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: June 23, 2024, 02:43:03 PM »
Spent most of last week in Philly.  Hadn’t been there in 20+ years but was pleasantly surprised.  Granted we stayed right in City Center cause my wife had a conference and it was just Father/Son time with me and 20 month old so we didn’t get too adventurous, but it’s nicely walkable.

As far as the historical stuff, I definitely think it’s easier and more enjoyable than navigating the similar in Boston. The straight shot from the Rocky steps at the Museum of Art down Franklin Pkwy to City Hall and then a slight turn and you have another straight shot right to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Ben Franklin museum and a half dozen other historically significant spots with a block or two.

Also, given it was 90+ degrees, a relatively short walk got us to Rittenhouse Park, which is beautiful and shaded, and then all the side streets with 150 year old row/townhouses on leafy streets.

Also, anyone with kids, the Drexel Academy of Sciences is a GREAT little natural history museum.  Only $10 for the last 2 hours of the day and they have great dinos and bunch of other cool stuff. My son had the time of his life

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: June 23, 2024, 04:19:00 PM »
Spent most of last week in Philly.  Hadn’t been there in 20+ years but was pleasantly surprised.  Granted we stayed right in City Center cause my wife had a conference and it was just Father/Son time with me and 20 month old so we didn’t get too adventurous, but it’s nicely walkable.

As far as the historical stuff, I definitely think it’s easier and more enjoyable than navigating the similar in Boston. The straight shot from the Rocky steps at the Museum of Art down Franklin Pkwy to City Hall and then a slight turn and you have another straight shot right to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Ben Franklin museum and a half dozen other historically significant spots with a block or two.

Also, given it was 90+ degrees, a relatively short walk got us to Rittenhouse Park, which is beautiful and shaded, and then all the side streets with 150 year old row/townhouses on leafy streets.

Also, anyone with kids, the Drexel Academy of Sciences is a GREAT little natural history museum.  Only $10 for the last 2 hours of the day and they have great dinos and bunch of other cool stuff. My son had the time of his life

Yep, Philly's very underrated. Lots to do, lots to see. Drexel is great - our kids loved it, and our grandkids will too someday.

We have lots of family in Philly area, so we get there fairly often. Always enjoyable times.

Their sports fans are ... um ... passionate, but that's OK too. Fun going to games and just taking in the sights.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: June 23, 2024, 06:29:02 PM »

My kids loved the Franklin Science Center and wanted to reenact parts of National Treasure.
And I do the cheese steak things because who not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2313 on: June 25, 2024, 12:37:55 AM »

Was there for the first time last October. Had the exact same impression. I think you and I did the same walk
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2314 on: June 27, 2024, 04:13:28 AM »
Just returned from an interesting Business trip. One of our vendors booked an entire smaller luxury  cruise ship for a Mediterranean cruise.  I guarantee everyone will keep doing business with that vendor at their spouses prodding 🤓
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2315 on: July 11, 2024, 06:02:39 AM »
Hopping on a cruise ship Monday afternoon out of Fort Lauderdale.

Wife and I are flying down Saturday morning. Staying sat/sun at Marriott Harbor Beach resort.

Any recs for bars/restaurants (breakfast, lunch or dinner) or other entertainment in that area?

We won't have a car

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2316 on: July 13, 2024, 08:37:05 PM »
Southport Raw Ouster Bar is a great hole in the wall seafood place. Down the street, 15th Street Fishery is a bit more upscale. Nice water view. Both have been there for decades.
Las Olas Bud has a host of restaurants and bars and shops. Nice stroll. I like VooDoo Bayou or Big City Tavern.
On the beach, Elbo Room is a tradition from spring break era. Stanley Cup was just there.
Assuming you don’t want to go too far afield.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: July 14, 2024, 09:50:35 AM »
Southport Raw Ouster Bar is a great hole in the wall seafood place. Down the street, 15th Street Fishery is a bit more upscale. Nice water view. Both have been there for decades.
Las Olas Bud has a host of restaurants and bars and shops. Nice stroll. I like VooDoo Bayou or Big City Tavern.
On the beach, Elbo Room is a tradition from spring break era. Stanley Cup was just there.
Assuming you don’t want to go too far afield.

Appreciated. We'll likely hit up one of the first two tonight

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: July 14, 2024, 06:14:59 PM »
This cracked me up ...

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: July 17, 2024, 12:46:31 PM »
Heading to Singapore/Jakarta in a week and a half.  But the real news is I’m experiencing a travel first, which I don’t get a ton of these days.

I’ve flown about 700K miles in the last 8 years, would be damn close to 1MM if not for COVID. I’ve flown plenty of business class due to my status, but other than Qatar Q Suites for my honeymoon, this has basically all been on United obviously.  As a result, I’ve never flown International First Class, as US airlines no longer have a First Class in front of business, and you’re not gonna find a “good” deal on a seat like that.

When I flew to Singapore in the fall, I found a really good business class fare on ANA (United’s Japanese partner) from San Francisco.  It featured their new business class, which is crazy, and as I needed the end of year spend, I splurged a bit.  So playing around for this trip, I found another ANA/United codeshare out of ORD that worked for my timing (cause SFO wasn’t) and somehow business was only $150 more than premium economy if I flew United to Tokyo, so I snapped it up. 

Then I remembered that there is a way to use United upgrades on ANA/Lufthansa.  So I talked to the 1K desk, understood the process, and saw 6 out of 8 seats in First Class on the flight were open.  Put in the upgrade but wasn’t hopeful given they often fly with first class seats open rather than give them away.  But I saw this morning I got cleared.  Pretty stoked to say the least!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: July 17, 2024, 12:57:48 PM »
Very cool Wags!

I have Gold Medallion status on Delta.
Back in April I was upgraded to Business class on a flight home to JFK from Paris.  I was shocked because I was certain no one ever was upgraded on international flights.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: July 17, 2024, 01:47:58 PM »
Very cool Wags!

I have Gold Medallion status on Delta.
Back in April I was upgraded to Business class on a flight home to JFK from Paris.  I was shocked because I was certain no one ever was upgraded on international flights.

Yea, other than the annual upgrades the airline gives with the higher statuses, there are no “complimentary” upgrades like you see domestically.  It’s rare to see open first class cause even Delta/United Silver will get upgraded if there are open seats.  But you see empty business class fairly often.

The only exception happened to me going to Brussels one time.  Economy was packed full plus a dozen or so standby passengers.  But business had a few open seats and nobody waiting with unused upgrades, so as I was boarding I got stopped and bumped up so they could get another economy passenger on. But I’ve never had that happen again or seen a situation where it would

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: July 17, 2024, 08:57:53 PM »
Heading to Singapore/Jakarta in a week and a half.  But the real news is I’m experiencing a travel first, which I don’t get a ton of these days.

I’ve flown about 700K miles in the last 8 years, would be damn close to 1MM if not for COVID. I’ve flown plenty of business class due to my status, but other than Qatar Q Suites for my honeymoon, this has basically all been on United obviously.  As a result, I’ve never flown International First Class, as US airlines no longer have a First Class in front of business, and you’re not gonna find a “good” deal on a seat like that.

When I flew to Singapore in the fall, I found a really good business class fare on ANA (United’s Japanese partner) from San Francisco.  It featured their new business class, which is crazy, and as I needed the end of year spend, I splurged a bit.  So playing around for this trip, I found another ANA/United codeshare out of ORD that worked for my timing (cause SFO wasn’t) and somehow business was only $150 more than premium economy if I flew United to Tokyo, so I snapped it up. 

Then I remembered that there is a way to use United upgrades on ANA/Lufthansa.  So I talked to the 1K desk, understood the process, and saw 6 out of 8 seats in First Class on the flight were open.  Put in the upgrade but wasn’t hopeful given they often fly with first class seats open rather than give them away.  But I saw this morning I got cleared.  Pretty stoked to say the least!

Very cool to get the upgrade... unfortunately the product and service will still be "less good" than SQ business class. 

My next odyssey will be Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, France, Switzerland... with a very unfortunate and unavoidable overnight layover in Paris which will cost me $600 for the cheapest airport hotel because of the olympics.  Interestingly, flying from MSP was cheaper this time than from ORD and even though they are equidistant for me, it always takes so much longer to get to MSP because of all the minnesotans driving 50 in the fast lane as soon as you're past Eau Claire. 

AS for Singapore - Holland village is renovated and nicer now.  I heard Boat Quay is closed for complete makeover.  Funan has re-opened.  Seems like they are very close to closing Orchard Road from about where the Hilton is to make it pedestrian only.  Good chance to take some pics before it changes completely.

Oh - and Muthus is better than Banana Leaf Apolo... discuss...  I still try to hit both on each visit just to be sure!

Cheapest beer and best (cheap) Thai food:  Bar Bar Black Sheep at Bukit Timah road and Elm.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2323 on: July 18, 2024, 09:41:38 AM »

I've been a United Premier 1K for years and am a million miler, mostly domestic flying. The hard product called Polaris is a far cry from United's old International First Class. The soft product is just plain crap. The flight attendants too often are indifferent and think you're nothing more than cargo with an attitude.

The only thing the U.S. airlines know how to do is compete on price. Nobody seems to know how to sell service and customer commitment anymore.

Unfortunately, Delta is marginally better and American is marginally worse. Delta and American high mileage flyers probably think differently, which tells me they are all bad.

The airline industry has been in a race to the bottom for years. Every time I feel like they've found the absolute lowest common denominator, they find a new low point below the Mariana Trench.

My term for what I am is a "U-D-P" for Unprofitable Domestic Passenger.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: July 18, 2024, 09:49:19 AM »
I was in Singapore in early November.  I ran through Boat Quay twice without seeing construction, but I can't say what's going on 8 months later.

I went to the Suntec City mall once or twice for lunch because there is an award wining dumpling place on the second floor. 
My hotel was next to Lau Pa Sat Hawker market so I ate great for inexpensive for the rest of the time.  The beer was more than the great meal itself.