[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: First House  (Read 20794 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: First House
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
I'm in line for a new mattress in the next 12 months, and I'm giddy. Just have to replace all the house windows first.

If you're replacing windows, we did Replacements by Anderson about two years ago.

Really, really good quality. Quite expensive though but the savings in heating and cooling bills are astronomical.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
#UnleashLaxBros, did you ever end up finding a house?

I lived in Cooper Park for 9 years before selling last year in preparation for our family growing.  LAMUfan pointed you to the Enderis Park neighborhood which is just east of Cooper park.  Cooper Park is from roughly 76th on the east, 92nd on the west, Center on south, and burleigh on North. 

This is a FANTASTIC first home area and very affordable.  Homes go from low 100's to around 200-ish.  It's really quiet but close to (even walkable to if you have a beverage or two) Tosa amenities, a short drive to anywhere in the metro (My commute to work downtown was 12-ish min, sometimes less), and very tight neighborhood where everyone knows each other.  Because of pricing and size of the post-war homes, ownership turnover is rather high... but that also means it's great for finding new homes for sale.  That is especially true this time of year.  You'll see several homes come on the market and sold every week. 

I highly recommend giving it a look.  You'll feel like you live in Tosa without the Tosa home prices.

I never knew it was called Cooper Park, but based on your boundaries, My folks lived there for 20 years, of which I lived there for 10. In the 70s it was a good family raising area...although my Tosa friends were quick to remind me I was not in Tosa. lol

About 10 years ago ,on a reunion visit ,I walked the old house and street. One change had me laughing...while I was a kid every house was fenced along all backyards lines on each side but each was viewable/reachable from the alley. Now all backyard side fences between neighbors are torn down, but all now had high privacy fences along all backlines/alley.

So...When I was there the menace was apparently those darn neighbor kids next door(including us-lol)...now the threat is from strangers in the alley.

BTW I noticed almost all the businesses changed.... but Mama Mias (my first job was a $1.35/hr dishwasher) is open and even enlarged on Burleigh.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:06:07 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Alas... Momma Mia's closed about 2 years ago.  Probably too much competition coming from all the new places on North ave.   Although there's some great places on 84th and Lisbon now.

The neighborhood is still a great place for families.  It's probably 35% families, 40% young couples or young single people who didn't want to wait for marriage to own a home, and 25% long time residents.    When the long time residents sell, the homes are rarely updated and it makes for a great investment for first time home owners who can update them before selling 5 or so later. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
BTW I noticed almost all the businesses changed.... but Mama Mias (my first job was a $1.35/hr dishwasher) is open and even enlarged on Burleigh.

Wow, $1.35/hr? My boi ZFB is currently a dishwasher and makes nearly 7 times that! Plus, they said if he goes another 2 months with no more disciplinary write-ups, he'll hit the $10/hr mark. #inflation

I just want to know if Unleash winds up paying hundreds to an attorney (unnecessarily).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »

I just want to know if Unleash winds up paying hundreds to an attorney (unnecessarily).
If he’s smart he will.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2018, 11:23:35 PM »
House still not bought boys. This lawyer/no lawyer thing keeps me up at nights.

Will look into cooper park

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »

Without taking sides in the lawyer/no lawyer debate as to which is the best course of action, if it really is keeping you up nights you should get a lawyer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »
Without taking sides in the lawyer/no lawyer debate as to which is the best course of action, if it really is keeping you up nights you should get a lawyer.

You took a side. The wrong one. Again. Tsk tsk.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »

Unleash, the lawyer thing is very much a state by state situation.  In WI, Lawyers are rarely, if ever used for a RE transaction of this type/size/scope.  Because of that, experienced RE agents in WI are far better versed in the closing process and any good buyers agent will look out for YOU, not trying to close the transaction at any cost.  That is how they build their business.  It is a product of the laws in the different states.   In Chicago, I'd say definitely get a lawyer.  In WI, I don't know anyone who has used a lawyer for a transaction that wasn't a jumbo loan or commercial property.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
Regardless, I'm not sure why the lawyer thing would keep you up at night.  In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't be all that expensive anyway.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
You took a side. The wrong one. Again. Tsk tsk.

Nope. I didn't take a side on the lawyer thing. I don't care whether he gets one or not.

But if the very thought of not getting a lawyer is condemning him to sleepless night after sleepless night, he should rectify the situation.

Who knows? Maybe the very thought of paying $500 for a lawyer is what's keeping him up at nights. In that case, he should rectify the situation by NOT getting a lawyer.

I just want the poor guy to get some sleep.

FWIW (very, very little), I've been a no-lawyer guy in the majority of my real-estate transactions.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
I think UnleashRealChiliDook was being sarcastic with the no sleep at night, but please continue to fight and argue about lawyers.  It's so much fun!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
I think UnleashRealChiliDook was being sarcastic with the no sleep at night, but please continue to fight and argue about lawyers.  It's so much fun!

I guess I should have used teal.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
I guess I should have used teal.  ;D

I'm usually pretty good with my sarcas-o-meter. Musta had an off day.

Glad you're sleeping soundly.

feedback