[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena Ticket Update  (Read 192921 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: New Arena Ticket Update
« Reply #550 on: July 30, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
I am not exactly sure if that is true.  If your mandatory "scholarship contribution" is a requirement for your basketball ticket purchase I believe they are automatically non-deductible.  However, if you make additional donation to your college you can have the choice of getting points and being non-deductible or forgoing the points and getting the deduction.

Before the tax reform act, any donation that got you "points" was only 80% deductible.  I haven't study the new tax law at that level of detail, but as a general rule, any donation where you get a quid pro quo benefit in return is not deductible, at least up to the FMV of the benefit.  Since the donation is mandatory, and people are willing to pay it to get the tickets, it's pretty save to assume that the FMV is 100% of the donation.

Here is another thing a lot of people don't realize:  You can't deduct money you spend on charity raffle tickets, even if you don't win anything.  You are receiving something of value in return for the money: the chance to win a prize.  Unless you really want to win, you are better off just giving them the money and saying, "keep the raffle tickets".
Have some patience, FFS.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #551 on: July 30, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
Question:  How do I pay for my tickets?  Nothing shows up in my gomarquette account.  There was something there the day I picked last week, but the system would not allow me to pay it then.  I know they collected credit card info when I picked seats, but my card has not been charged. 

Do they send us a mailing with a bill?  For some reason I thought we had a tight timeframe to get this paid.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #552 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
Question:  How do I pay for my tickets?  Nothing shows up in my gomarquette account.  There was something there the day I picked last week, but the system would not allow me to pay it then.  I know they collected credit card info when I picked seats, but my card has not been charged. 

Do they send us a mailing with a bill?  For some reason I thought we had a tight timeframe to get this paid.

They had me choose a payment plan right after I selected my seats.  I picked the 4 installments, and I had to pay the first installment right then and there.  I provided my credit card number then.

If you did all that and you just haven't seen it on your card yet, there might be a processing backlog due to the volume (just a guess).  I haven't checked mine.
Have some patience, FFS.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #553 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:29 PM »

When I chose the 4 installments it said my first installment will be charged on 8/15 (followed by 9/15, 10/15, and 11/1).  If you’re paying in full, possibly 8/15 will be the due date.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #554 on: July 30, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »
It might have been said wrong. There is no credit card payments taken this weekend. The card was entered for easier way to pay come August 15th.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GOO

• All American
« Reply #555 on: August 01, 2018, 09:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the answers, appreciated.  I just have to relax.

I find the re-seating process a bit confusing...probably because I am getting old and my schedule is busy at work. 

I saw my purchase but at a reduced rate (apparently only the ticket price and not the re-seating fees are included) so it appeared as if I selected fewer seats.  They collect and appear to be charging my card when I complete the process - but then the charge doesn't actually happen until later, etc. 

The whole not being able to see the actual seats you select and then have to answer questions about aisle versus center, etc.  Having to plan one's schedule around a random re-seating time given out by Marquette is not so easy for all of us.

Bottom line, with the new tax rules, I'd rather they took away the seat "donation" and let us select actual seats and price the tickets accordingly.  We could also then only pick once every couple of years.  Sure would make the process a lot nicer.  Maybe keep the donations for the prime seats only as they maybe able to use the charitable deduction and are not part of the mass online selection process anyway.  I just want to pay for my seats.  Like most of us, the donation is no longer relevant to me and makes the process more difficult and throws up a bunch of barriers to making the process better. 

I know this has been debated before and I don't mean to bring that up again and I don't mean to be a complainer. Yes, I am complaining, but I don't do that often. First world problems for sure.  I get that.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #556 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
The whole not being able to see the actual seats you select and then have to answer questions about aisle versus center, etc.  Having to plan one's schedule around a random re-seating time given out by Marquette is not so easy for all of us.

Bottom line, with the new tax rules, I'd rather they took away the seat "donation" and let us select actual seats and price the tickets accordingly.

Starting next year you will be selecting your actual seats, so some of the complexity\confusion will be eliminated.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #557 on: August 01, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »
Starting next year you will be selecting your actual seats, so some of the complexity\confusion will be eliminated.
Not sure that's true.  The selection process is the way it is to avoid having to pay Wisconsin sales tax. 

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #558 on: August 01, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
When that time comes I'll continue to buy them on his account. Marquette won't know who bought em   ;D

Might want to look into that a bit.  When i worked in the ticket office many years ago, only the person whose name was on the account could pick up tickets for things like the NCAA tournament games.  Had quite a few people ticked off when they showed up at the will call window during the Final Four run and realized that they needed dead Aunt Sally to show ID in order to collect the tickets. 
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #559 on: August 01, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »
Not sure that's true.  The selection process is the way it is to avoid having to pay Wisconsin sales tax.

From the mubbgameday.com website:

"[In] 2019-20 we will reseat based on priority points, giving season ticket members the opportunity to choose from the best available seats"

Now that the Blue & Gold donations are no longer tax deductible, we can go back to picking specific seats.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #560 on: August 01, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »

"[In] 2019-20 we will reseat based on priority points, giving season ticket members the opportunity to choose from the best available seats"

Now that the Blue & Gold donations are no longer tax deductible, we can go back to picking specific seats.
Its not about the tax deductibility at this point.  It’s about the WI sales tax.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

I don't read that as saying we get to pick a specific seat.  "Best available" could just mean you pick a row, like this year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #562 on: August 01, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »

Is the 2019-20 reseating going to be handled any differently than this year?  I had a courtside STH tell me that next year's process is different and they would probably lose their seats but I could not follow their logic of how it would be different or why they would lose their seats.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #563 on: August 01, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
Is the 2019-20 reseating going to be handled any differently than this year?  I had a courtside STH tell me that next year's process is different and they would probably lose their seats but I could not follow their logic of how it would be different or why they would lose their seats.

I believe next year will go back to how it used to be when you could pick your exact seats.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #564 on: August 01, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
I believe next year will go back to how it used to be when you could pick your exact seats.
Again, not so sure about that.  Per e-mail conversation with AAD for ticket sales Morgan recently, the current year process stayed the same for all to avoid state sales/use tax.  He said that the issue would be reviewed next year.  The referenced item in mugameday.com seems to say otherwise, but it could be misleading.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #565 on: August 01, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
Again, not so sure about that.  Per e-mail conversation with AAD for ticket sales Morgan recently, the current year process stayed the same for all to avoid state sales/use tax.  He said that the issue would be reviewed next year.  The referenced item in mugameday.com seems to say otherwise, but it could be misleading.

As I recall, they said we'd be going back after the tax plan went through and changed things. Personally, I'm not that bothered by it either way, but I do believe that was the plan. Not sure if they will stick with that or go another direction.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #566 on: August 01, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
The process in 2018-19 will be the same as what we just did. Except we are reseating the entire bowl. This year the phases were designed by seat areas for courtside and preferred. Next year it's all open. that's what that statement means.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #567 on: August 01, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
The process in 2018-19 will be the same as what we just did. Except we are reseating the entire bowl. This year the phases were designed by seat areas for courtside and preferred. Next year it's all open. that's what that statement means.

So the person I met who has courtsides is concerned their courtsides could be gobbled up by a person who has an insanely high amount of points but wasn't in the courtside / preferred phases? 

Do people like that even exist? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #568 on: August 01, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
So the person I met who has courtsides is concerned their courtsides could be gobbled up by a person who has an insanely high amount of points but wasn't in the courtside / preferred phases? 

Do people like that even exist?

They also probably didn't realize 1st row tickets were still available with only 2 days left in the entire reseating process. At worst they're moving from courtside to 1st row.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #569 on: August 01, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
As I recall, they said we'd be going back after the tax plan went through and changed things. Personally, I'm not that bothered by it either way, but I do believe that was the plan. Not sure if they will stick with that or go another direction.

Neither are most, I would suspect.  Regardless, they'd build the sales tax into the face value, so granted, it's a few points on every dollar going to WiDOR instead of staying in our pockets, but I don't think people are going to balk because of the marginal tax increase, especially when a) they can choose their actual seats again and b) MU just proved-out the genius of the pre-season BPI.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #570 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:44 PM »
Neither are most, I would suspect.  Regardless, they'd build the sales tax into the face value, so granted, it's a few points on every dollar going to WiDOR instead of staying in our pockets, but I don't think people are going to balk because of the marginal tax increase, especially when a) they can choose their actual seats again and b) MU just proved-out the genius of the pre-season BPI.
I would not mind the marginal increase either, but AAD Morgan verified in e-mail to me that the process will essentially be just as Mr. Nielsen posted earlier here.  Would be nice to pick actual seats, alas....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #571 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
Mr. Nielsen—what will happen with the approximate 20-30 tickets in sec 116 ccc-Row 8?
Will they discount the donation to fill those seats?
Will they try to package in 5 gamer? Will they be available for single game sale?
Thank you

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
I would not mind the marginal increase either, but AAD Morgan verified in e-mail to me that the process will essentially be just as Mr. Nielsen posted earlier here.  Would be nice to pick actual seats, alas....

I am fine with not picking my actual seats to avoid a 5.6% increase to the ticket price.  When I choose my seats I had a pretty good idea of what seats I would get and lo-and-behold I got those exact seats.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Mr. Nielsen—what will happen with the approximate 20-30 tickets in sec 116 ccc-Row 8?
Will they discount the donation to fill those seats?
Will they try to package in 5 gamer? Will they be available for single game sale?
Thank you
Good morning!
Since, it's just Aug 2nd. The goal is to still sell them as season tickets. Donors, MU staff, maybe Bucks ticket holders who didn't swing it to pay the new Bucks pricing, etc.

Come November, if some are still unsold, MU will sell them as single game tickets.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
Good morning!
Since, it's just Aug 2nd. The goal is to still sell them as season tickets. Donors, MU staff, maybe Bucks ticket holders who didn't swing it to pay the new Bucks pricing, etc.

Come November, if some are still unsold, MU will sell them as single game tickets.

Brokers