[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Epperson vs Froling  (Read 6009 times)

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
Epperson vs Froling
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
Epperson looks good.   I’ll take Epperson
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Epperson vs Froling
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
We could’ve had him too. Stoped recruiting him

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
I'd take Dickie Shaw over Froling. 

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
That is the point... we could’ve had Epperson if we wanted him.  He’s much quicker than Froling
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:49:09 PM »
That is the point... we could’ve had Epperson if we wanted him.  He’s much quicker than Froling

I think Wojo and Co. thought Froling would be an outside threat, and thats what they likef about him. That didn't really work out, but that's the gamble of recruiting.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:50:26 PM »
Boy, notice how much Harry is playing at crunch time

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »

That makes me very sad.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
Creighton got Epperson and the other Froling (Sam)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:21:50 PM »
Epperson looks like Brienne of Tarth.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »
Froling is a freshman.  I remember when all of our bigs were long term projects.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »
Epperson looks like Brienne of Tarth.

Very true.

Andrew Rowsey looks like Tyrion Lannister, so I would say we are even.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
Hair trigger reactions are not your friend.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
Froling is a freshman.  I remember when all of our bigs were long term projects.

Why do people keep saying this? He's a sophomore in every way except for games played. This just doesn't make sense to me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
He is the equivalent of a red shirt freshman.  Still not 30 actual games of game experience.  One year sitting.  Simple math.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
Why do people keep saying this? He's a sophomore in every way except for games played. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Is there a more important factor than games played when discussing a player's experience?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »

He is the equivalent of a red shirt freshman.  Still not 30 actual games of game experience.  One year sitting.  Simple math.

Froling is in his second year. He is a Sophomore.   Between games and practice over the two years he has had plenty of experience. His experience to date is roughly comparable to Matt Heldt last year. So, he is right now on the Heldt style trajectory. Harry should have a solid junior season next year the way Matt is having this season .  I think we need to just embrace the good aspects of Harry's game and stop trying to make him into something he is not.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
I think Wojo and Co. thought Froling would be an outside threat, and thats what they likef about him. That didn't really work out,

Yet, FIFY
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Is there a more important factor than games played when discussing a player's experience?

His time spent playing college level basketball is not just limited to time on the floor during a game. He is 2 years removed from high school. He's spent 2 years in college weight rooms, practices, and film rooms. That is what makes the difference in ability, not game time. The idea that he's like a freshman because he had to sit out a year assumes that he hasn't been doing anything to improve his game while he wasn't eligible, and that's obviously not true. He's a sophomore, just one with limited game experience.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
His time spent playing college level basketball is not just limited to time on the floor during a game. He is 2 years removed from high school. He's spent 2 years in college weight rooms, practices, and film rooms. That is what makes the difference in ability, not game time. The idea that he's like a freshman because he had to sit out a year assumes that he hasn't been doing anything to improve his game while he wasn't eligible, and that's obviously not true. He's a sophomore, just one with limited game experience.

Jepperson is two years removed from high school as well. After finishing up his secondary schooling in Australia, he spent last year at La Lumiere, which for all intents is a basketball factory run very much like a college program.

Also, Froling is 19 years, 10 months old. Jepperson is 19 years, 9 months old. They were born a whopping one month apart. The gap between the two isn't nearly as wide as some of you want it to be.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Jepperson is two years removed from high school as well. After finishing up his secondary schooling in Australia, he spent last year at La Lumiere, which for all intents is a basketball factory run very much like a college program.

Also, Froling is 19 years, 10 months old. Jepperson is 19 years, 9 months old. They were born a whopping one month apart. The gap between the two isn't nearly as wide as some of you want it to be.

Epperson is not the typical freshman then. He has a nice head start over the vast majority of guys in his class. Harry is still a sophomore with a sophomore's typical experience in every facet of the game outside of minutes spent on the court in games. That's a big caveat, but game minutes don't outweigh all the other time spent working on his game.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Epperson was the beneficiary of the bad defense in the first half.  Did little other than that.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
Epperson had just one field goal in the second half, and one rebound for the game.

In his four earlier conference games against Xavier, DePaul, Nova and Georgetown, he put up a grand total of 9 points (2.3 ppg) and 9 rebounds (2.3 rpg). Froling, by comparison, is averaging 3.1 ppg and 3.6 rpg so far this season.

It's true that we had no answer for Epperson in the first half. Kid has some talent and moves well to the open space. But he's not the missing piece we've been looking for.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:11:28 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
Epperson is not the typical freshman then. He has a nice head start over the vast majority of guys in his class. Harry is still a sophomore with a sophomore's typical experience in every facet of the game outside of minutes spent on the court in games. That's a big caveat, but game minutes don't outweigh all the other time spent working on his game.

Harry is not a Sophomore, with a typical sophomore's experience.  At SMU he couldn't participate in any of the Summer drills/training due to an injury.  During the season, he couldn't fully participate in any of the practices/training due to the injury. 

When he transferred to MU, they shut him down immediately, and didn't let him play at all on it during the entire season.  If he wants it, he probably will be awarded an injury RS; which would make him a RS Freshman right now.  You just can't apply for that until the end of your eligibility.

Are you going to call Joey a Sophomore next year because he is sitting on the bench at MU with an injury?

Epperson, got more post grad experience playing at La Lumiere than Froling got sitting out with an injury.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
Epperson was 7-7 in 8 minutes. He scored off wide open pick and rolls.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
Harry is not a Sophomore, with a typical sophomore's experience.  At SMU he couldn't participate in any of the Summer drills/training due to an injury.  During the season, he couldn't fully participate in any of the practices/training due to the injury. 

When he transferred to MU, they shut him down immediately, and didn't let him play at all on it during the entire season.  If he wants it, he probably will be awarded an injury RS; which would make him a RS Freshman right now.  You just can't apply for that until the end of your eligibility.

Are you going to call Joey a Sophomore next year because he is sitting on the bench at MU with an injury?

Epperson, got more post grad experience playing at La Lumiere than Froling got sitting out with an injury.

I'll be interested to see how the medical red shirt request goes. I've got to think the NCAA is going to think he needs to lose a year of eligibility because of the transfer, but hopefully he can get the red shirt.

The impacy of the injury definitely does set Harry back, but I still think hes got an advantage over pretty much all freshmen in the league. Joey will be a RS freshman next year, because he's referring this year after electing to graduate early. He'll be better off than all the true freshmen because of his head start this year, but he'll be a bit behind other RS freshmen. Seems pretty straightforward to me.