* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Its DJOver
[Today at 09:35:26 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I place this all on the coaching staff.  (Read 40402 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: I place this all on the coaching staff.
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »
WarriorDad

I do not expect next year to be worse than this year. They likely will be slightly better, but I do not think a preseason lock for NCAA. In addition, just because BE will be down next year does not mean they will be greatly improved, regardless of record. I am looking at big picture and the ability to compete with top twenty teams on regular basis. I do not think they are close to that level going into next season.

Ok, my misunderstanding.   True, nothing is a lock in sports.  No sure fire hires, either - see Michigan and Harbaugh.  Watch the snowboarder last night win the skiing event out of nowhere, but I believe we will be a top 20 to top 30 team next year.  Markus is still only 18, think about that.  Stronger and wiser with age.  Morrow is a badly needed player.  Sam will continue to improve. The freshmen are all contributing.  Sam's brother an extreme talent.  The Big East will take a step back next year, but we will take a step forward regardless of what the Big East does.   

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
Collins team coughs up a 27 point lead at home to MSU.  He was the nation's darling coach last year.

Kruger's team has hit the skids, losing 5 in a row and 8 of 10. 

Cal's Kentucky squad has lost 4 of 5. 

Purdue has lost 3 straight, one to Wisconsin and their last win was a two pointer vs Rutgers.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »
There seems to be an emerging plurality that, barring a miraculous turnaround starting tonight, next year is going to be make or break for Wojo.

That sounds like a seat that's getting warm.

I suppose it depends on your definition of warm seat.

My definition is that there is a good chance that the coach will be fired at the end of the season.

I don't think there's a good chance that Wojo gets fired until the end of year 6. So for me the seat is still ice cold.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
Collins team coughs up a 27 point lead at home to MSU.  He was the nation's darling coach last year.

Kruger's team has hit the skids, losing 5 in a row and 8 of 10. 

Cal's Kentucky squad has lost 4 of 5. 

Purdue has lost 3 straight, one to Wisconsin and their last win was a two pointer vs Rutgers.

Is Oklahoma the worst team in the Big 12?

Is Kentucky the worse team in the SEC?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
If MU gets a transfer PG, normal progression from the returnees,  Morrow is who we think he is, and we get nothing from Bailey, Joey, and Ike, next year's team is still a tourney team.

So we now have contingencies in place for next year's team being an NCAA team?  Virtually all of Wojo's deepest supporters have said next year is going to be the year we make a major leap, and have a special season...like it should be Sweet 16 caliber season.

Seems by Year 5 we shouldn't need to have excuses or contingencies.  At minimum we have to be an NCAA tourney team next year.  If Wojo can't get us there next year, think even his most staunch supporters will acknowledge that he simply is not a good coach as it relates to X's & O's, game management, player personnel.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
I suppose it depends on your definition of warm seat.

My definition is that there is a good chance that the coach will be fired at the end of the season.

I don't think there's a good chance that Wojo gets fired until the end of year 6. So for me the seat is still ice cold.
You really don’t think an underperforming year next year, i.e. missing the tourney could cost him his job? I find that hard to believe
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
So we now have contingencies in place for next year's team being an NCAA team?  Virtually all of Wojo's deepest supporters have said next year is going to be the year we make a major leap, and have a special season...like it should be Sweet 16 caliber season.

Seems by Year 5 we shouldn't need to have excuses or contingencies.  At minimum we have to be an NCAA tourney team next year.  If Wojo can't get us there next year, think even his most staunch supporters will acknowledge that he simply is not a good coach as it relates to X's & O's, game management, player personnel.
Please go look at JayBee's post on the assessing our warriors thread, it addresses many of your concerns.  Yes we have question marks going into next year, but Wojo has proven successful at finding grad transfers, Morrow has played power conference ball before, so while those are both question marks, they are questions I feel confident of solving.  IMO Harry being counted on to be productive this year was a bigger gamble than Morrow next year. 
As high as our standards are for the program, I'm sure Wojo has equally high standards for himself.  If he doesn't make the tourney next year I think even he would agree that it would be time to go.  With the amount of money he's getting paid and the facilities he has, 1 tourney appearance in 6 years would be unacceptable.  The only way he stays if we don't make it next year would be because there is no flavor of the month mid major coach next offseason because they all got scooped up this offseason with the vacancies that the FBI is about to open up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »

Yeah we need to be pretty safely in the field next year. I expect a 6 seed or better. 8 seed or better and I'm fine with it. Anything worse is worrisome. The following year I'm expecting about a 3-4 seed

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »

Nope. Not even close. Nice try though to set up a conflict for next year. Way to undercut any success wojo might have. You anti-wojo are all the same. You'd like our program to suffer so you can gloat about being right cause you didn't like the hire/coach.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »
Jesmu

What are you smoking? There is low level anti Wojo, as I see it, and only different opinion. I want us to win tonight and every night.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
Nope. Not even close. Nice try though to set up a conflict for next year. Way to undercut any success wojo might have. You anti-wojo are all the same. You'd like our program to suffer so you can gloat about being right cause you didn't like the hire/coach.

I was fine with the hire of Wojo as coach, after Shaka bailed.  However, would have preferred Cuonzo (proven coach), but had absolutely no problem with the Wojo hire.

The "problem" with Wojo started his first year on the job, when his coaching and playing time decisions were totally and completely alarming (in my opinion) and the subsequent 4-14 Big East finish was brutal.

He's improved slightly each year.  He still has much room for improvement.  I want him to succeed as my ultimate care is that MU basketball be successful.  I'm by no means ready to write the guy off.  I'd probably even give him a 6th year if he misses the NCAA tourney next year just to absolutely, positively, be sure he had ample tim to prove himself/his program.

I'm not trying to plant any narrative or conflict for next year.  Most of Wojo's staunchest supporters expect an NCAA berth next year, regardless of any grad transfer contingencies, or Morrow being a good player.  There may be a few of you left who are simply going to excuse mediocrity from Wojo NO matter what and that is your prerogative. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
You really don’t think an underperforming year next year, i.e. missing the tourney could cost him his job? I find that hard to believe

If we miss the tournament next season,  it will be the first time Wojo didn't make season expectations. I don't think he gets fired the first time that happens. I could be wrong but my guess is he would get another year where his butt was blistering.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
I was fine with the hire of Wojo as coach, after Shaka bailed.  However, would have preferred Cuonzo (proven coach), but had absolutely no problem with the Wojo hire.

The "problem" with Wojo started his first year on the job, when his coaching and playing time decisions were totally and completely alarming (in my opinion) and the subsequent 4-14 Big East finish was brutal.

He's improved slightly each year.  He still has much room for improvement.  I want him to succeed as my ultimate care is that MU basketball be successful.  I'm by no means ready to write the guy off.  I'd probably even give him a 6th year if he misses the NCAA tourney next year just to absolutely, positively, be sure he had ample tim to prove himself/his program.

I'm not trying to plant any narrative or conflict for next year.  Most of Wojo's staunchest supporters expect an NCAA berth next year, regardless of any grad transfer contingencies, or Morrow being a good player.  There may be a few of you left who are simply going to excuse mediocrity from Wojo NO matter what and that is your prerogative. 
Just curious, what would you have done differently in year one?  We didn't exactly have a lot of horses to ride that season.
Completely agree that it should be tourney or bust for Wojo next year, one out of five is unacceptable no matter what he had to start with.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »

I don't think this is accurate at all. I think as TAMU has indicated, we're pretty much reached expectations every year. 2015 sucked because Buzz left a crappy team and the recruits left too (except for Cohen, who didn't live up to his top-100 ranking). 2016 was better, 2017 we made the tournament, and this year we are playing to the 7th place expectations we had in the preseason.

Personally, I expected better this year, mainly from the defense and thought 5th place was realistic, but when you look at this team, it's clear that it is built to succeed next year. Howard and Hauser as upperclassmen. A complement of upperclassmen in the form of Heldt, Anim, and Froling. Young guys that have experience in the system and the athleticism to make a difference on defense. And another 5-star recruit that will be able to simply supplement the team rather than carry it.

Next year we should be in the top-3 of the league, winning 11+ games, and earning a 7-seed or better. Those are my conservative estimates. Worse than that (other than because of injuries) and I'll definitely start to have some serious concerns. It's not about being a Wojo homer, it's about looking at the team and having fair expectations. We've met them every year, but haven't really exceeded them at all. Next year the expectations start to ramp up. We'll see if the staff can meet them again. If not, then I for one will start to question the direction of the program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:48 PM »

I can assure you that I have ZERO interest in being right or changing opinions. I am simply stating my opinion. It might differ from yours, some or everybody and I am fine with that. Any debate really comes down to ones perspective of what program should look like. To me, it is similar to debating wealth. Some people feel having a million dollars is being rich and to others it is not. Again, I could not care less if anyone agrees with me or not.

plus plus plus for post of the century-goose, you're the E.F. hutton of the board, imho anyways
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »

Do you like the barren wasteland that is Cal basketball this season? No way to know for sure how it would have played out if we hired Cuonzo, but my guess is that we would be where Cal is right now. Other than a blue blood, Missouri is Cuonzo's dream job, he would have left when it came open I doubt he would have built Marquette to a good enough place to survive another rebuild in the three years he would have been here.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Do you like the barren wasteland that is Cal basketball this season? No way to know for sure how it would have played out if we hired Cuonzo, but my guess is that we would be where Cal is right now. Other than a blue blood, Missouri is Cuonzo's dream job, he would have left when it came open I doubt he would have built Marquette to a good enough place to survive another rebuild in the three years he would have been here.

The problem with Cuonzo is he was running from something, not to something. I supported him as a target at the time, but feel we dodged a bullet in retrospect.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
They have gotten worse as the season goes, that is also on coaching

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2018, 10:11:34 PM »

Are you a UWM grad? Your bar is so low.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2018, 11:23:29 PM »
I place this win on the Marquette Coaching Staff.

Great coaching by Wojo to switch to the 2-3 Zone

Good Win vs the Blue Jays

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »

That's not what you just said. You said "sweet 16" season.

Make up your mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
Are you a UWM grad? Your bar is so low.

Uh...No.

You have no idea what my "bar" is. Or maybe you think you do. Love for you to show some evidence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2018, 11:27:23 PM »
However, would have preferred Cuonzo (proven coach)

Would you have preferred Cuonzo bailing after a year or two as he searched for a better job, leaving the team in shambles all over again? See: Cal Golden Bears.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
I place this win on the Marquette Coaching Staff.

Great coaching by Wojo to switch to the 2-3 Zone

Good Win vs the Blue Jays

Switch to 2-3 zone and the effort

Throw in the T.  He was pissed Markus got injured.  Challenged his team when things looked dour. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
Throw in the T.  He was pissed Markus got injured.  Challenged his team when things looked dour.

I wasn't watching the game because I don't get FS Wis. I was following a little on Gametracker. I couldn't help but notice we outscored them a little going into halftime after Wojo got the T.

Sometimes a coach just has to do it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback