[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I place this all on the coaching staff.  (Read 39658 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
I place this all on the coaching staff.
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
Havent posted in a while, but today was the topper.  This team is incredibly soft and that is the fault of the coaching staff.  Tough teams win, we are far from tough.  As bad or even worse there is no culture that defense wins games.  The culture has been non - existent under this staff.  First couple years excuses were made.  Last year excuses were made this year the problem is we are young.  Well last year we were old.
The culture of this program is to play ole defense n show zero energy or toughness on defense, but to then run down n play with energy on the offensive end. 
Harry Froling is a horrible defensive player.  He is everything you do not want on the defensive end.  Slow, soft, weak, and shows no toughness.  So what does Wojo do a few weeks ago?  He plugs him into the starting lineup.  Reward the worst defensive player on one of the worst defensive teams in the nation with a starting spot.  100% of the culture of this team is defense does not matter. 
All anyone needs to do is watch Markus Howard play defense.  Granted Rowsey is bad at defense but he is all hustle.  Howards idea of defense is what one does to rest in between chucking bad 3’s, losing his dribble, or missing layups. 
A team and a coach that has a defense first mentality and a championship winning mentality does not allow them to literally give zero effort on defense without taking them out of the game.  And making the point that defense comes first.  You dont play defense like your hair is on fire, then you dont play. 
There are hundreds of examples of this but all any MU fan needs to do to sum up this entire season, previous seasons and this programs culture is to watch SJU’s possesion with 3:34 left in the second half.  Ponds has the ball on the left wing outside the 3 pt line. Howards man is in the right corner weakside.  Howards is correctly in helpside stradding the block.  From there Ponds attack his defender to the right and dribbles to the ft line n then down the right side lane line, taking 9 steps in the process. During these 9 steps Howard never moves and watches the entire play.  The most he can muster is a small hand slap low block attempt as Ponds lays it in for a 3 pt play.  9 steps and howard cannot slide even 1 step to put himself in a position to take a charge.  Sure if he does Ponds kicks to the corner but that is hiw defense is supposed to be played.  We dont even try.  This happens all the time there is literally not effort to play defense and no consequence for nit even trying.  Just run down n jack up another 3.  That is how you give up a horrendous shooting percentages night after night. 
That play would have gotten an ear chewing and a place on the bench from any MU coach since Dukiet.  But our coach wants to talk about youth n refs.  This is just one play but it was the one to cause me to turn the game off, and ut happens over n over with these Wojo coached teams.  They play defense with the energy, toughness, and softness of an over 40 church league.  Its pathetic and I will no longer defend Wojo. I now truly have my doubts as to whether we made the right call.  Im afraid the kid out at ASU was the Duke kid that has what it take to rebuild this program.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: I place this all on the coaching staff.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
Sigh

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Taking this one step further, but also on the coaching staff, is the fact that talent level is not on par with other Big East teams.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
Just one game ago people were praising the coaching staff. Gotta love fandom.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
Just one game ago people were praising the coaching staff. Gotta love fandom.

It's more like when marquette wins a good game the people who like wojo will talk. When marquette drops a game the people who hate wojo will talk. There's not much of a middle where the same person is doing both.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
Taking this one step further, but also on the coaching staff, is the fact that talent level is not on par with other Big East teams.

Bingo!!! You are correct. If we take off the MU sunglasses it is obvious this team is missing several pieces.

Dr. Dunkinstien

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »
Mainly missing a post presence that can score.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
Havent posted in a while, but today was the topper.  This team is incredibly soft and that is the fault of the coaching staff.  Tough teams win, we are far from tough.  As bad or even worse there is no culture that defense wins games.  The culture has been non - existent under this staff.  First couple years excuses were made.  Last year excuses were made this year the problem is we are young.  Well last year we were old.
The culture of this program is to play ole defense n show zero energy or toughness on defense, but to then run down n play with energy on the offensive end. 
Harry Froling is a horrible defensive player.  He is everything you do not want on the defensive end.  Slow, soft, weak, and shows no toughness.  So what does Wojo do a few weeks ago?  He plugs him into the starting lineup.  Reward the worst defensive player on one of the worst defensive teams in the nation with a starting spot.  100% of the culture of this team is defense does not matter. 
All anyone needs to do is watch Markus Howard play defense.  Granted Rowsey is bad at defense but he is all hustle.  Howards idea of defense is what one does to rest in between chucking bad 3’s, losing his dribble, or missing layups. 
A team and a coach that has a defense first mentality and a championship winning mentality does not allow them to literally give zero effort on defense without taking them out of the game.  And making the point that defense comes first.  You dont play defense like your hair is on fire, then you dont play. 
There are hundreds of examples of this but all any MU fan needs to do to sum up this entire season, previous seasons and this programs culture is to watch SJU’s possesion with 3:34 left in the second half.  Ponds has the ball on the left wing outside the 3 pt line. Howards man is in the right corner weakside.  Howards is correctly in helpside stradding the block.  From there Ponds attack his defender to the right and dribbles to the ft line n then down the right side lane line, taking 9 steps in the process. During these 9 steps Howard never moves and watches the entire play.  The most he can muster is a small hand slap low block attempt as Ponds lays it in for a 3 pt play.  9 steps and howard cannot slide even 1 step to put himself in a position to take a charge.  Sure if he does Ponds kicks to the corner but that is hiw defense is supposed to be played.  We dont even try.  This happens all the time there is literally not effort to play defense and no consequence for nit even trying.  Just run down n jack up another 3.  That is how you give up a horrendous shooting percentages night after night. 
That play would have gotten an ear chewing and a place on the bench from any MU coach since Dukiet.  But our coach wants to talk about youth n refs.  This is just one play but it was the one to cause me to turn the game off, and ut happens over n over with these Wojo coached teams.  They play defense with the energy, toughness, and softness of an over 40 church league.  Its pathetic and I will no longer defend Wojo. I now truly have my doubts as to whether we made the right call.  Im afraid the kid out at ASU was the Duke kid that has what it take to rebuild this program.
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the subject matter and supporting them with detailed analysis.  Good discussion points. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Considering who started this thread, I thought for sure that the blame would be on Luke.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »

Was Jay Wright and Coach K also responsible for the last two St. John's wins?  We are what we are, short at guard. Some of our beef and toughness was out with the flu today, but the Johnnies are playing fantastic the last three weeks. 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:08:40 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 05:42:45 PM »
People down here where I live had been ripping on Roy Williams. I went to the Duke and NC State game today and  now he can do no wrong. Things change quickly at this time of year in college basketball.

Wojo wants to win as much as we the fans do. Our MU players are not giving up and as long as they are giving it there are, they have my support.
UNC Grad MU Fan

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »
Ponds is a great player who is currently on an amazing hot streak that is good enough to beat Duke and Villanova. We are not a great defensive team, but give Ponds the credit he deserves.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Wow. Certainly can tell from your windy post that you haven't commented for a while.  Have you ever heard of executive summaries.
I agree that our coaching and defense are not good.  We cannot stop bunnies.  All would roll over in his grave.  Wojo doesn't know how to protect the rim.  Knowing St. John's is a slashing team, he should have defended the rim.  He doesn't.  Perhaps, he doesn't know how.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »
Considering who started this thread, I thought for sure that the blame would be on Luke.

Luke would be so good for the team this year.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
Our defense is lacking, especially in the post. But I think we have to be more patient with the coach. It's my belief that Buzz took 2 years of recruits with him, so in reality this is only Wojo's 3rd year.  Keep in mind that Coach K went 38-47 in his first 3 years, including 13-29 in ACC play. Fans and alums were hanging him in effigy. Duke had patience. I think we must give Wojo a little more time. We'll step up next year (I hope).

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
Luke would be so good for the team this year.
You have to be kidding.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »
Not really a zone proponent but we went to the zone a few times n effectively stopped the drive n got a few turnovers n then left it for no known reason. Get a few atops n go away from it i guess dont want to keep a team below 60%
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
Not really a zone proponent but we went to the zone a few times n effectively stopped the drive n got a few turnovers n then left it for no known reason

Dude what?  SJU dissected that zone with ease after a few possessions. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 09:04:25 PM »
You have to be kidding.

As in he would be a huge upgrade. You must be the one kidding. Who could you possibly prefer at C over Luke?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
If you read this board you come away with the impression that MU has never lost a game in its 101-year history.

When the "lose" a game, it has nothing to do with the other team playing well, it has nothing to do with our guys not playing well, it is always the coaching staff.  So in 101 years, we have had two outcomes to every game ... win or our coaches don't know what they are doing.

Look what we are arguing here .. Ponds single-handily beat Duke and Nova (in Philly!).  In the last week, he has looked like the national player of the year.

Then he drops 44 on MU, a new home record for St. Johns.  Can we tip our hat and just say "wow" he played great and deserved to win.  No, on MUscoop the other team is irrelevant.  MU has the ability to beat the  Golden State Warriors if Wojo knew how to coach defense.  The other team, and what they did, never counts.

Hey Sand-knit, when Howard dropped 52 on Providence, did you think that was an average performance against an embarrassingly bad defense that caused that many points?  Did Howard just get lucky that Providence was the keystone cops on defense?  Or maybe, just maybe, Howard was simply awesome and no one was going to stop him.  So, why can't we say the same about Ponds today?

Here is my take-away from this thread ... Sant-Knit is an idiot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:29:14 PM by Tugg Speedman »

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
I keep seeing people talk about Ponds scoring vs Duke and Nova and say we shouldn't be upset that he put up 44 vs us, because he did it vs them. My critique against this is that, we saw what he did vs Duke and Nova, so we should have been more aware and been even more prepared because he had just done that in their past two games.  It's a game of adjustments.  Remember when teams weren't chasing our two guards off of the 3 point line and now everyone focuses their defense to not allow Howard and Rowsey get good looks at 3, that's what Wojo's focus should have been in this game, not allow Ponds to get going and throw everything he had at trying to stop him.  Oh, he's a good player, let's not try to adjust to having two game tapes the in the last week and see that this man is a one man wrecking crew, and just let him kill us as well.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 09:56:21 PM »
As in he would be a huge upgrade. You must be the one kidding. Who could you possibly prefer at C over Luke?
Luke was not very good.  I would take Theo over Luke.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
I wish MU Scoop had existed back in the immediate post Al era.  Could you imagine the commentary on Oliver Lee and Artie Green lol
UNC Grad MU Fan

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »

Here is my take-away from this thread ... Sant-Knit is an idiot.

I mean you could gather that from just lurking here for a few days. The grammer makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »
I mean you could gather that from just lurking here for a few days. The grammer makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

People that complain about grammar on an anonymous message board are really saying they desperately need help.

Keep your issues to yourself.

feedback