[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I place this all on the coaching staff.  (Read 39664 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: I place this all on the coaching staff.
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »
Legit question:

What was Wojo doing sitting next to Coach K from 1999-2014? You would expect some coaching smarts to have permeated his body, at least by osmosis, even if Steve spent half the time sleeping on the job. Maybe some guys are "lifer" assistant coaches and just don't have all the pieces necessary to be a successful head coach on this level. Completely mind boggling that Wojo, as a player, was defensive player of the year.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Never been a big fan of the Duke tree, the guys that are career lifers like Wojo and Collins never really played for anyone else.  Their experience is wholly Duke and they have always had the best talent.  Never learned how teams not named Duke need to scrap and vlaw to win games.  Also liked guys like Buzz, and Crean for that matter, that coached under numerous successful coaches and programs and can learn from many different styles n scenarios.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 12:23:28 PM »
Phuck no. I was at MU 2006-2010 so I never missed a tournament. Granted I never made it to the second weekend but we were always solidly in (worst seed might have been an 8 against MSU my freshman year). I knew there was a rebuild to go through but I at least thought we'd be making the dance pretty easily by now.

I'm in Wojo's corner but my patience is running thin. It's been discussed many times on here that we should hire an old timer X's and O's guy as an assistant and I completely agree. The problem that I'm seeing is that we can all see the problems/solutions so vividly but the people actually calling the shots don't see the same and it's right in front of their face. It's just like watching an actual game. Everyone here probably saw those telegraphed passes yesterday or that Ponds was pulling up in front of Sam but no one did sh!t about it.

It's tough when your on your couch and can see what's going to happen or how to fix something but the powers that be don't do anything.

I do think we win the big east next year though
Yup. We will be really good....next year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
4ever

I have said numerous times there was a reason why he was an assistant for some many years. Guys that want to be HC, or talented enough to be found, simply don’t spent a decade and half as second or third fiddle. That was, and is, my biggest reservation about Wojo. I wish I know why he never got a HC prior to MU.
I remember talking with Marotta prior to Shaka turning us down. Marc stated that Doc liked Wojo, and we both were floored hearing that. I have nothing against Wojo, but beginning to believe the job is too big for him.

burger

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
Just one game ago people were praising the coaching staff. Gotta love fandom.

I don't think everybody has been praising WOJO!

Painfully obvious that he does some stuff very well.....and conversely some stuff very poorly......We need a total reexamination of the game scouting and planning methodology and a person brought in as an assistant to clean the crap up......

PASTING:

Instead of the portion of the press conference that was truly "coach speak".....

He actually does need to re-examine everything......The scouting reports have to be "piss pour" or they are not being "instituted"......

All I know is the end result from and X's and O's perspective on the floor is atrocious......WHAT GAME PLAN

That is only part 1.......

Part 2:Then when you get to special situations......That play at the end of the game was so lame......you have a play in your back pocket that you have been practicing for "weeks" in practice to bring it out at the right time......(Eagles yesterday for an example).....ST. JOHNS EX.....LIKE WHEN A GUY GOES OFF FOR 40

Part 3: Everybody says we are who we are......Well we are now much more than we were......Has even thought about John and Harry on the floor at the same time.....With Elliot Cain, and a diminutive guard and play a 3 2 zone with Howard at the Top , the 2 wings and a pair of Rim protectors.....on the offensive side.....Grind it out.....Harry and John on every play down in the post......Lay the LUMBER! DEVELOP SOME OFFENSE THAT DOES NOT GO THROUGH ROWSEY OR HOWARD

These are just examples thrown out.....of thought.....trying things.....no going back to the same old "stubborn" "coach speak"crap......THIS WAS FROM TWO GAMES AGO.....AFTER LAST GAME I SAID WE WERE LUCKY TO WIN BECAUSE SH CAN NOT SHOOT FREE THROWS WORTH $HIT......

Stupid is as stupid does......AND STUPID IS CONTINUING.....SHOULD HAVE COACH K LOOK AT A FEW TAPES FOR HIM AND GIVE HIS OPINION......

Either "really" adapt or don't let the door hit you......COACH SPEAK HAS BECOME TRANSPARENT BECAUSE OF THIS ONE GLARING COACHING DEFICIENCY......EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD KNOWS TO EITHER DOUBLE TEAM PONDS OR IF YOU HAVE TO......THROW 3 AT HIM......WHAT OTHER PLAYER ON ST. JOHNS IS EVEN CAPABLE OF SCORING 20......

We can do better......
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:43:01 PM by burger »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
MU is a young team.  one senior.  Morrow coming in, Joey, Bailey, another year of seasoning for the rest.  Yes, have to show improvement.

That said ...

If we can Wojo, we get mass transfers and lose a lot of incoming recruits.

If we can Wojo, we are back to under .500 for two years starting all over again for the second time in five years.

If we can Wojo and the next guy does not do better, we are forever a 5th to 7th place BE team (see Indiana, they have to come to terms that they are permanently a middle of the pack Big 10 team ... they cannot).

Canning Wojo means you are ok with next year and the year after looking like Bucky this year.

So, can any of you Wojo whiners make the case for canning Wojo this year?

I'll hang up and listen.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
Tugg

I am ok with any steps backward if it means taking program to next level. We have had five years, including Buzz’s last year, of being a non factor on the national scene.

I’m saying can Wojo, but keeping him out of fear is not the answer.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
Tugg

I am ok with any steps backward if it means taking program to next level. We have had five years, including Buzz’s last year, of being a non factor on the national scene.

I’m saying can Wojo, but keeping him out of fear is not the answer.

Wojo
Buzz
Crean
Deane
O'Neill
Dukiet
Majerus
Raymonds

Since Al retired MU has only promoted a mid-major or an assistant as their head coach.

I think if they can Wojo, they would have to get a "big name" established coach, not another mid-major or hotshot assistant. 

Possibly IDEAS

Retreads
Bo Ryan
Lavin
Pitino
Jason Kidd

Or maybe a "name" that is on the hot seat and gets axed

Bruce Webber
Sean Miller
Izzo
Fred Hoiberg
Greg Gard

Is that what you want?

Or, do you honestly think the answer is can Wojo and take another assistant or mid-major head coach that no one has heard of?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:53:03 PM by Tugg Speedman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
Pearl is a potential coach of the year candidate. Floyd isn’t working.

You may want to keep up if you’re gonna make suggestions.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
Luke would be so good for the team this year.

When he wasn't on the bench with three fouls in the first half.

The problem I see with this team is that we're a bunch of street-ballers. We toss the ball around looking for the first open guy to fire up from three-land. There is little systematic presence to our offense beyond "find an open 3."

Rowsey -- Not impressed by. Period. Good shot but as a senior, he should be a reasonably complete player. Not even close. May be a thing with me but I think he's an incredibly self-centered ballplayer. Don't see a team aspect of his play.

Howard -- May be the heart and soul of this team, but without a real point guard, he's flailing in the wind too often. He's a good "2" guard and not the point we need to run a championship caliber college offense.

Hauser -- May be the best player on this team, but he's got to do a better job of getting separation. I like where he will be next year. He's as close as we have to the complete package.

Heldt -- For you old-timers, Heldt is a Craig Butrym or Jerry Homan in a Jim Chones/Jerome Whitehead world. He's a 10 minutes a game guy at most. I like his effort but he's a back-up that is designed to rest your starter.

Froeling -- Is a huge disappointment. I guess I expected, mistakenly, a lot more from him that we got. Not sure whether it's he's just not THAT good or it's because we're playing too much hero ball in the back court and we're not finding him.

Sacar -- Going to old timers, Sacar is a Bill Neary type. I like him. I like his heart and his effort. But Neary was good in part because we had BT off the bench. Sacar is a sixth or seventh guy on the team but not, in my mind, a starter on a championship caliber team.

Given this mess we have this year, I'm seeing us build a future around Marcus, Greg Eliott, Sam Hauser, maybe Greg and Theo and, eventually, one of our incomings. I'm optimistic about Ed Morrow but after the Harry Froeling debacle, I want to see it to believe it. Like most folks, I'm optimistic about Joey and I think Bailey will be a gem. But I don't expect immediate change from these guys.

All this said, I give myself a "D" as a fan this year for possibly expecting too much from this team.

I hope Wojo learns to coach defense or finds an addition to his staff who can do it for him (Bo Ellis, are you out there?). If he doesn't find that person or becomes enlightened about college defense, I'm not optimistic about next year -- or the near future for that matter.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
Street ballers? That’s the furthest thing from what our team makeup is. We sure could’ve used some street ball yesterday though
No Finish Line

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Pearl is a potential coach of the year candidate. Floyd isn’t working.

You may want to keep up if you’re gonna make suggestions.

Two brain cramps

Meant Bruce Webber, not Bruce Pearl

Meant the current Bulls coach from ISU, Fred Hoiberg, not the previous one from ISU (Floyd).

Corrected above.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
Street ballers? That’s the furthest thing from what our team makeup is. We sure could’ve used some street ball yesterday though

OK, bad streetballers who can do one thing -- shoot!

I'd like some aggressive street-ballers in the 1970s sense as much as anyone. But these guys are suburban streetballers!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
OK, bad streetballers who can do one thing -- shoot!

I'd like some aggressive street-ballers in the 1970s sense as much as anyone. But these guys are suburban streetballers!
That’s an oxymoron. How bout cobblestone ballers. Seriously though, one of my biggest complaints about Woj is how he’s changed the personality of Marquette basketball. I hate it. I will say though this freshman group embodies some of that MU personality
No Finish Line

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
Never been a big fan of the Duke tree, the guys that are career lifers like Wojo and Collins never really played for anyone else.  Their experience is wholly Duke and they have always had the best talent.  Never learned how teams not named Duke need to scrap and vlaw to win games.  Also liked guys like Buzz, and Crean for that matter, that coached under numerous successful coaches and programs and can learn from many different styles n scenarios.

Hadn't considered that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
I honestly don't understand the Rowsey offensive hate here. His assist rate is 26.2% and his turnover rate is only 16.9%.  Compare this Junior's senior year with a 28.3% AR and a 25.8% turnover rate.  Is it because people do not like a shooting PG? Maybe it's his high usage? 

As it stands today, his leaving means MU has a big gaping hole to fill on offense. Come on...MU has had the 8th and 14th ranked offense (this year) since he has been active.  That says a lot especially with only three scorers on the roster this year.

Wojo has his work cut out trying to plug that hole.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:17:27 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

burger

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
Keeping WOJO is key......

Clean up his deficiencies......

He needs to become "self-aware" and "adapt"....

We have recruiting "assistants".....There is a limitation.....

There is no limitation on bringing in a "senior assistant" to help with "game planning" "in game management" and "defensive strategies".......Just no "recruiting is allowed".....

I would bring back Jerry Wainright or the like in a second......Another voice.....with a ton of experience......

We are 70% there......We are just not "complete"!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26:31 PM »
First, Wojo should absolutely get next year. That's a no-brainer for me. Second, here's the list if we look elsewhere:

1) Dan Hurley

The list shouldn't go any further until that option is fully exhausted. Solid defensive coach that can run his offense at multiple tempos. I'm really hoping the coaching carousel is slow this off-season so he sticks another year at URI. By the end of next year, we'll know if Wojo deserves an extension or if we need to look elsewhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

burger

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
First, Wojo should absolutely get next year. That's a no-brainer for me. Second, here's the list if we look elsewhere:

1) Dan Hurley

The list shouldn't go any further until that option is fully exhausted. Solid defensive coach that can run his offense at multiple tempos. I'm really hoping the coaching carousel is slow this off-season so he sticks another year at URI. By the end of next year, we'll know if Wojo deserves an extension or if we need to look elsewhere.

No way Hurley does not get a big time offer.....Maybe even from somebody in the Big East in NJ or Chicago.....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Rowsey's a one trick 5'9" pony who transferred from UNC Ashville of all places. Watt were y'all expectin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
No way Hurley does not get a big time offer.....Maybe even from somebody in the Big East in NJ or Chicago.....

DePaul won't likely fire Leitao yet and I don't think there's any chance he ends up there after Bobby passed on it. And Seton Hall won't be opening for at least a year, even if they flame out this year. Financially, we'd be able to compete for him as well as anyone. And if we had a roster with Sam, Markus, and Morrow as seniors, it would be easy to see this being a program you could get off and running in a hurry, similar to what Buzz had in the Amigos senior year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »
4ever

I have said numerous times there was a reason why he was an assistant for some many years. Guys that want to be HC, or talented enough to be found, simply don’t spent a decade and half as second or third fiddle. That was, and is, my biggest reservation about Wojo. I wish I know why he never got a HC prior to MU.
I remember talking with Marotta prior to Shaka turning us down. Marc stated that Doc liked Wojo, and we both were floored hearing that. I have nothing against Wojo, but beginning to believe the job is too big for him.

I know I shouldn't judge prior to 5 years on the job, but I've seen enough championship ball to form an opinion and I'm pretty sure we are now just spinning our wheels with this guy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
And if we had a roster with Sam, Markus, and Morrow as seniors, it would be easy to see this being a program you could get off and running in a hurry, similar to what Buzz had in the Amigos senior year.

Maybe they should start by beating the basement of the big east today.  That would encourage me that Wojo has Some coaching chops and these kids have what it takes to to be on top. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »

Last year Chris Collins was national finalist for coach of the year.  This year they aren't doing great, but I'll bet MU fans last year were going crazy for him as a coach.
Brey has done a great job at Notre Dame
ASU's coach getting them back into the conversation

Agree with you that coaching under different systems is a good thing to learn different styles that work.

Marquette picked 7th by the coaches and media.  Looks like we will finish 7th so why are people surprised? We are young and lack size. That changes next year.  Size and experience are eligible next season.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
Someone said this earlier in a different thread but in practice they should make it so hauser, rowsey and howard cant score so someone else is forced to score

feedback