[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Amazon narrows its list of cities for its second HQ  (Read 26027 times)

Eldon

• All American
Amazon narrows its list of cities for its second HQ
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-hq2-list-is-officially-down-to-these-20-cities/

Milwaukee didn't make the cut.  But Indianapolis did.  In.dian.apolis.

Reminds me of a great Onion article:

https://sports.theonion.com/indianapolis-announces-really-embarrassing-bid-for-2020-1819572999

If I'm making bets, I got the ultra short-list as: Chicago, Atlanta, and Philly.  Huge metro areas.  Public transit.  ATL is airport hub.  Philly is smack dab in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard.  All have multiple research universities in/near the city.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
Re: Amazon narrows its list of cities for its second HQ
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Three candidates in the DC metro is not insignificant.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
God only know how many tax breaks, etc this local governments are going to give to "win" this. Not to mention how many palms are going to be greased on the local level with any new needed infrastructure.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
God only know how many tax breaks, etc this local governments are going to give to "win" this. Not to mention how many palms are going to be greased on the local level with any new needed infrastructure.

All the reasons I could do without Raleigh.  The public transit barely exists and we're already struggling with the high population growth increasingly congesting the highways and main roads.  No need to take on something we can't handle but will have to pay for (since Amazon will get tax breaks and not pay for anything). 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
If I'm making bets, I got the ultra short-list as: Chicago, Atlanta, and Philly.  Huge metro areas.  Public transit.  ATL is airport hub.  Philly is smack dab in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard.  All have multiple research universities in/near the city.

I would take that bet in a heartbeat, but Snacks already beat me to it.

The winner will be one of the three from the DC area.  Book it, bank it, and let it draw interest.

Bezos already owns the Post, he just bought a house in DC, and - most significantly - with all the talk in Washington of Amazon being part of an oligopoly (or an outright monopoly) - for which the drums will only beat louder as Amazon grows bigger - Jeffy needs a local base from which to launch his lobbyist defenses.

Amazon's already made their decision.  Just like Tesla chose Reno and Foxconn chose SEWI long before they announced their decisions publicly just so they could extract the maximum possible from the state and local governments.

Amazon did it smartly, however... not only do they have 19 other locales they can use as leverage with their top choice, but they also have two neighbors they can really play off of one another.  Just wait.... the ultimate package that Amazon ends up with will leave the Democrats in Wisconsin saying, "you know, that Foxconn deal was pretty damn good."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
I would be very, very, very shocked if Amazon HQ2 doesn't end up in Montgomery County....specifically Gaithersburg.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
https://sports.theonion.com/indianapolis-announces-really-embarrassing-bid-for-2020-1819572999

Though one thing is for certain... if Jeff Bezos loves restaurants that have at least 15 locations, then Indianapolis will be the winner. 

(Can't believe that the InOOC-2020 didn't think to mention how there's a chain restaurant on every corner providing athletes from around the world with all of the comforts of home.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
I wouldn't count out either Austin or Dallas.

BTW, if you would have said "Name the 20 Finalist Cities" yesterday, 90% of us would have come up with 15 or so of these.  Nothing is surprising on this list except maybe Columbus, Indy and Newark.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
Austin is intriguing. Huge tech hub with a lot of internet companies.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
Austin is intriguing. Huge tech hub with a lot of internet companies.

Problem is that it lacks infrastructure.  Damn city grew too fast.

Dallas on the other hand has managed its growth better.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I wonder how many corporations will piggy back off this idea/charade that Amazon has made - having cities compete for a hub/HQ/etc.

If feels an awful lot like major sports teams wanting the public to pay for stadiums.

In the end, I think Joe six pack is gonna end up the loser

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
I wonder how many corporations will piggy back off this idea/charade that Amazon has made - having cities compete for a hub/HQ/etc.

If feels an awful lot like major sports teams wanting the public to pay for stadiums.

Hey guess what: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/apple-to-build-2nd-campus-hire-20000-in-350b-pledge/

Corporations angling for tax breaks isn’t anything new, though. The Amazon bidding has just played out more publicly than usual.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:23 PM »

why is "joe six pack" the loser?  they don't work for free, right?  you did take an econ class somewhere within your education, right?  even though amazon jobs are mostly kinda mundane, it's a good entry level position to grow, learn how to work, appreciate a paycheck, pay the bills and spend some money.  maybe even move up either within the company or somewhere else
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:01 PM »

It's not anything new. Sixteen years ago, Seattle and Chicago had a public bidding war for the Boeing headquarters, for example.
What's new, if anything, is the sheer number of cities Amazon is leveraging against one another.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
why is "joe six pack" the loser?  they don't work for free, right?  you did take an econ class somewhere within your education, right?  even though amazon jobs are mostly kinda mundane, it's a good entry level position to grow, learn how to work, appreciate a paycheck, pay the bills and spend some money.  maybe even move up either within the company or somewhere else

Assuming by Joe six pack, he is referring to people who will not be working for tech empires (service jobs, etc.) who will be driven out of the city due to rapid spikes in cost of living.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-hq2-list-is-officially-down-to-these-20-cities/

Milwaukee didn't make the cut.  But Indianapolis did.  In.dian.apolis.

Reminds me of a great Onion article:

]
Indianapolis is an excellent city for what is needed for this business. Would be a very good choice. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
even though amazon jobs are mostly kinda mundane, it's a good entry level position to grow, learn how to work, appreciate a paycheck, pay the bills and spend some money.  maybe even move up either within the company or somewhere else

Lol no. The worker bees in fulfillment, call centers, etc., sure. But the HQ jobs are best-  and brightest-type positions.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 03:54:33 PM »
I don't think it is necessarily "bad."  Tax incentives are fine if they create jobs.  (Unlike an NBA arena for instance.)  The questions are how many jobs,how much does it cost to get those job, what kind of jobs are they.  In the case of an Amazon or Apple second HQ, you are creating higher net worth jobs, that create more economic activity, than an Amazon fulfillment center will. But does a place like Washington DC or Chicago need more of those types of jobs? Why would those places need to provide a huge amount of incentives?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
It's not anything new. Sixteen years ago, Seattle and Chicago had a public bidding war for the Boeing headquarters, for example.
What's new, if anything, is the sheer number of cities Amazon is leveraging against one another.

That's true.

I guess I was more referring to, like you said, the sheer number. Plus the publicity of it, compared to previous iterations.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »
That's true.

I guess I was more referring to, like you said, the sheer number. Plus the publicity of it, compared to previous iterations.

In theory, it's an improvement because there is seemingly some transparency to it. Love it or hate it, the Foxconn deal was done in the light of day so people could judge it. Same will happen with Amazon HQ2.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

bruh, "joe six pack" doesn't refer to tech folks, entry-level or otherwise.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
bruh, "joe six pack" doesn't refer to tech folks, entry-level or otherwise.

bruh, he meant "joe six pack of craft beer"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
Imagine yourself as 22 year old hipster graduating with a degree in a hot field like coding or data science.  Imagine yourself single and aggressive and willing to work 70 to 80 hour weeks.  Where do you want to live.  This is the criteria they will use.

Answer ... NYC, followed by DC and then Chicago in that order.  Forgot the tax breaks, everyone is throwing money at them so that is a wash.  They are not creating HQ2 to save money .. they are doing it to stay competitive with Google and Apple and Facebook.

Hate to break it to you but that 22 year old hipster does not want to live in northern Virginia, Montgomery, Religh, Columbus, Atlanta, or Indy.  Newark is a form of punishment.  Toronto is a nice idea but they are not getting AMERICAN hipsters to “do that.”

My take is they are trying to make NYC work but might Find space for 50,000 in Manhattan might literally take all the money in the world.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »
I would be very, very, very shocked if Amazon HQ2 doesn't end up in Montgomery County....specifically Gaithersburg.

MD Taxes.  Vienna more like it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:21 AM »
Imagine yourself as 22 year old hipster graduating with a degree in a hot field like coding or data science.  Imagine yourself single and aggressive and willing to work 70 to 80 hour weeks.  Where do you want to live.  This is the criteria they will use.

Answer ... NYC, followed by DC and then Chicago in that order.  Forgot the tax breaks, everyone is throwing money at them so that is a wash.  They are not creating HQ2 to save money .. they are doing it to stay competitive with Google and Apple and Facebook.

Hate to break it to you but that 22 year old hipster does not want to live in northern Virginia, Montgomery, Religh, Columbus, Atlanta, or Indy.  Newark is a form of punishment.  Toronto is a nice idea but they are not getting AMERICAN hipsters to “do that.”

My take is they are trying to make NYC work but might Find space for 50,000 in Manhattan might literally take all the money in the world.

I think there are a number of other places that 22 year old hipsters would mind living. Austin, Seattle, Denver, San Francisco, etc.