[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 116474 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2018 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »
If you like a good scare The Haunting of Hill House was fantastic.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »
Outlaw King was a poor man's braveheart.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
If you like a good scare The Haunting of Hill House was fantastic.
Agreed.  Though ending was a bit of a let down for me.  Hoping they explore the early days of the house.  Some of the premises they pull out I hadn't seen before.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" the other night.  I'm a big Coen brothers fan, but even that one tested me a little.  It's made of of six short stories, a couple of which were very good.  A couple were pretty dull.

Saw it at NY film festival with several hundred people and the Coens. Reception was ok, but not overwhelming. Need to see it again alone on the couch.

This is an interesting list and shockingly I am in sort of agreement. Llewyn Davis should be higher. A Serious Man and Burn After reading are really underrated movies.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/11/15/18096572/coen-brothers-movies-ranked-ballad-buster-scruggs-fargo-big-lebowski-millers-crossing-barton-fink

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2018, 05:49:49 AM »
I have the final season of House of Cards 3.5 episodes before I gave up on it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2018, 06:59:02 AM »
Saw it at NY film festival with several hundred people and the Coens. Reception was ok, but not overwhelming. Need to see it again alone on the couch.

This is an interesting list and shockingly I am in sort of agreement. Llewyn Davis should be higher. A Serious Man and Burn After reading are really underrated movies.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/11/15/18096572/coen-brothers-movies-ranked-ballad-buster-scruggs-fargo-big-lebowski-millers-crossing-barton-fink

It's hard for me not to put "Fargo" on top because I think its one of the great movies of all time.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »

I finished it out just to see how it ended. You didn’t miss much in my opinion. I went back to watch some of the first season to remember how great it was.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
Check out Patriot on Amazon. Season 2 dropped about 2 weeks ago. I absolutely LOVE this show. I like stuff that's a bit different though.  A fascinating mix of somber, sweet, funny and dark. Well acted, beautifully shot. It's got an odd pace to it that feels a little different, kinda European. One of my favorite binges in a long time.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »
Netflix

Medal of Honor

Seven 45 minute episodes of Medal of Honor winners.  Those guys were amazing, those that came home never bragged about the heroic actions, medals they won or the wounds they suffered.  Most returned to normal medium blue collar jobs, some in family business.

The story of Sgt. Edward Carter is just incredible and I cannot believe a movie wasn't made concerning his life, not just his actions in WW II.  Short fact: not one black soldier won the Medal of Honor right after WW II ended.  It wasn't until 1992 that Bill Clinton ordered a committee to investigate/oversee, then I believe eight soldiers got their due respect.

Being each is a short episode, it was a good watch and learning experience. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
I highly recommend the "Explained" series on Netflix, if you haven't seen it already.

Each episode covers a topic that many people don't know a lot about, and the topics vary widely, from K-pop, to the water crisis, to cricket, to wealth inequality.

The subjects that could be considered political are treated fairly and even-handedly.  In the episode on the gender gap in wages, for example, there was a clip of Hilary Clinton acknowledging (without prompting) that a significant amount of it is due to choices women make to focus on their families as opposed to their careers. It also talks about the affect of institutionalized  gender discrimination.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »
Netflix

Medal of Honor

Seven 45 minute episodes of Medal of Honor winners.  Those guys were amazing, those that came home never bragged about the heroic actions, medals they won or the wounds they suffered.  Most returned to normal medium blue collar jobs, some in family business.

The story of Sgt. Edward Carter is just incredible and I cannot believe a movie wasn't made concerning his life, not just his actions in WW II.  Short fact: not one black soldier won the Medal of Honor right after WW II ended.  It wasn't until 1992 that Bill Clinton ordered a committee to investigate/oversee, then I believe eight soldiers got their due respect.

Being each is a short episode, it was a good watch and learning experience.
I just came across this last night and watched the 1st three. Outstanding stories.  Can't wait to recommend it to a couple guys at work on Monday.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
Wife and I just binge watched End of the Fxxxing World. It is deliciously dark and nihilistic. If you enjoy eating at Arby's, you will like this show.

yeah, we did that series in three nights and really enjoyed it, and I don't even eat any fast food, let alone Arby's.

I finally got around to all three seasons of Lilyhammer.  Not sure what's next. When does Mindhunter second season begin?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »

Each episode covers a topic that many people don't know a lot about, and the topics vary widely, from....to wealth inequality.

I don’t really watch much fiction
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
The Final Table and Ugly Delicious are both interesting food shows on Netflix.  UD is hosted by David Chang, and examines one dish per episode, while the Final Table is just a straight up cooking competition with some of the best chefs in the world, no Top Chef drama or games, or gordon Ramsey fake BS...

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »
Enjoying the latest Narcos season.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
GOSNELL

Have not seen the film, but there is a documentary on Amazon about the trial that was quite good. Besides finding Gosnell guilty, the jury was quite critical of the Pennsylvania state health authorities for overlooking the "clinics" many violations even after an abortion rights group reported them to the state.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
Homecoming (Amazon).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2018, 11:37:41 PM »

Watched all 8 episodes.

When the last one ended, Mrs. 82 said, "That's 8 hours we're never getting back."

It wasn't just disappointing, it was bad TV. We recognized that during the first episode, but we wanted to see how they resolved everything. Big mistake, one I'll try not to make again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
Just finished Homecoming

Meh

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
finished the last season of the americans.  was ok.  series definitely trailed off, but I suppose so did the USSR during the late 80s, so...

Would love to see a spin off with Stan undercover with the biker gang.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
netflix-all of the friends seasons/episodes-watch it listening thru on my headphones on so my lovely can sleep-i still keep her awake laughing out loud

season 1- joey tries to teach ross how to talk dirty because that's what his new squeeze is into.  telling him to say how he wants to grab his arse etc etc and chandler walks in behind them wondering what the...
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
If you like roast/insult comedy, "Bumping Mics with Jeffrey Ross and Dave Atell" on Netflix is pretty darn funny.  Lots of celebrity guest stars, too.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
2.5 episodes into S2 of Mrs. Maisel, and so far it's shaping up to be every bit as good as S1 (if not better).  The B-plots have essentially taken over the story completely, especially with the respective parents' arcs... which really makes the A-plot pop.

Fans of Archer and Arrested Development will appreciate the use of twisted echo cut.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
Are straight to Netflix movies the millennial generation equivalent of straight to VHS/DVD movies?

I remember, as a kid, going to blockbuster/Hollywood video/etc and seeing movies which never made it to theaters. Most look really low budget and terrible.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
Are straight to Netflix movies the millennial generation equivalent of straight to VHS/DVD movies?

I remember, as a kid, going to blockbuster/Hollywood video/etc and seeing movies which never made it to theaters. Most look really low budget and terrible.

Some are, some aren’t.   The correlation between budget and acclaim is closer to zero than ever, IMO.  There are plenty of no-name actors and writers out there that are every bit as good as their household-name counterparts.

Regardless, it’s not a Millennial thing... the whole distribution model for both movies and TV is being turned upside-down as a result of technology that has - until recently - primarily been consumed, but not driven, by Millennials. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback