[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 115539 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2018 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
Just finished Season 1 in prep for Season 2.   Really pleasantly surprised.  Absolutely hilarious.  Reminded me a lot of a Wes Anderson movie in dialogue pacing and some of the character humor and development.

As for the humor, totally agree.  My gf is a born and raised Long Island Jew and she was laughing way harder at some stuff than I was, definitely resonated strongly with her experiences.

I know this is a very girly thing for me to say, but I would watch it just for the amazing costumes.  Every outfit she wears is sublime.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
Finished a two week binge of Breaking Bad that was inspired by Better Call Saul.

Such a fantastic show, nothing since has really come close.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
A few episodes into Ray Donovan.  Ok so far.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
Hadn't even heard of Mrs. Maisel until it won all those awards at the Emmys. So we decided to watch it. Just finished Season 1. Really, really enjoyed it ... even if the OJPH was over the top sometimes.

My wife and I just watched the first episode of the new HBO "comedy" Camping. I put "comedy" in quotes for obvious reasons. Maybe we'll give it one more episode.

Disappointed a little with Season 2 of Big Mouth, although the last couple episodes have been funnier. Probably just not as fresh and original seeming to me after a fun Season 1.

Totally enjoying re-watching Game of Thrones after finally talking my wife into checking it out. We're in Season 3. I saw the series only once, on the dates the episodes originally came out, so I've truly enjoyed watching it again now that I know what's going on better.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 10:45:01 PM »
Hadn't even heard of Mrs. Maisel until it won all those awards at the Emmys. So we decided to watch it. Just finished Season 1. Really, really enjoyed it ... even if the OJPH was over the top sometimes.

My wife and I just watched the first episode of the new HBO "comedy" Camping. I put "comedy" in quotes for obvious reasons. Maybe we'll give it one more episode.

Disappointed a little with Season 2 of Big Mouth, although the last couple episodes have been funnier. Probably just not as fresh and original seeming to me after a fun Season 1.

Totally enjoying re-watching Game of Thrones after finally talking my wife into checking it out. We're in Season 3. I saw the series only once, on the dates the episodes originally came out, so I've truly enjoyed watching it again now that I know what's going on better.

I actually liked it a little more. More in-depth look at characters. Episodes centered around real-life topics rather than comics/gags/jokes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »
Finished a two week binge of Breaking Bad that was inspired by Better Call Saul.

Such a fantastic show, nothing since has really come close.

I love Breaking Bad. But it may be the most overhyped show on TV. Up there with Lost.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:18 AM »
Currently watching Atypical S2 on Netflix. Fantastic show that I'm shocked doesn't get more buzz. Also the new OITNB season. After a few down years, I'm enjoying S6 more.

Recently watched Jack Ryan. John Krasinski is so freaking good. I'm amazed the MCU hasn't yet thrown a pile of money at him to play something (Reed Richards?). Also, GLOW is really good. Very much looking forward to Daredevil S3 this week.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:55 AM »
After visiting Denmark & Sweden this summer including an awesome visit to the Vikingeskibsmuseet in Roskilde, my wife and I started watching Vikings.  Halfway through season 2 on Prime and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »
After visiting Denmark & Sweden this summer including an awesome visit to the Vikingeskibsmuseet in Roskilde, my wife and I started watching Vikings.  Halfway through season 2 on Prime and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

A word of warning - Vikings will inevitably disappoint you in the end.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »

What I read about it wasnt great.  Which is validating as I have no interest in watching it, despite consuming most everything on HBO.  Besides not being able to stand Lena Dunham, Girls went from a decently funny show to self indulgent trash as Dunham's ego and status grew.  Hard pass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »

Big fan of Vikings.  GoT writ small.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:40 AM »

A word of warning - Vikings will inevitably disappoint you in the end.

What season does that happen?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
What season does that happen?

Every season they make the playoffs.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
Up there with Lost.

Blasphemy.  LOST INVENTED modern television.  The whole idea of the online episode recaps: LOST.  The mystery premise (like Manifest today): LOST.  The broad, diverse casts: LOST.  Sci-Fi on the major networks: LOST.  The "you have to watch it for the water-cooler and online talk": LOST.  No other show has ever captivated viewers with recurring "mysteries" and compelling characters like LOST did, until maybe Game of Thrones.

Sure, seasons 4-6 weren't so great, but seasons 1-3 are probably my favorite television series. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
Looking forward to seeing all this new evidence that is going to blow up the Steven Avery case that Kathleen Zellner has, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Blasphemy.  LOST INVENTED modern television.  The whole idea of the online episode recaps: LOST.  The mystery premise (like Manifest today): LOST.  The broad, diverse casts: LOST.  Sci-Fi on the major networks: LOST.  The "you have to watch it for the water-cooler and online talk": LOST.  No other show has ever captivated viewers with recurring "mysteries" and compelling characters like LOST did, until maybe Game of Thrones.

Sure, seasons 4-6 weren't so great, but seasons 1-3 are probably my favorite television series. 

Funny you compare Lost to Manifest because the reason I refuse to get sucked into Manifest is I thought it would be like Lost: never explained mystery that just pisses you off after nothing really happens.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

Once again, maybe I should give it a shot.  I actually started last a few years ago, but only made it in about 6-8 episodes.  Funny thing is, I actually liked it.  But I just don't ever really get a chance to seriously binge, so shows that are more than a couple of seasons are really hard for me to stick with because I figure I'll never finish them.  It only makes it worse when I constantly hear that the ending sucked.

I've managed to stay relatively un-spoiled on lost, aside from hearing that ending wasn't satisfying.  Maybe I'll pick it back up.  Honestly, I'd probably have to restart from the beginning.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
I watched The Good Place earlier this year, and it's one of my favorite network sitcoms ever.  By the time I started watching, the first two seasons had already been broadcast but I was unspoiled.  I really, really enjoyed it and got my family hooked as well.  It's an easy binge show because there are only two past seasons, and only 13 half-hour episodes per season.  So, you can blow through 5 episodes in a couple hours.

I'm still not entirely sold on S3.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
Funny you compare Lost to Manifest because the reason I refuse to get sucked into Manifest is I thought it would be like Lost: never explained mystery that just pisses you off after nothing really happens.

That's because they are written initially to be short series, but networks become afraid to drop them when they bring in good ratings.  So the story ends up plodding along. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
I actually liked it a little more. More in-depth look at characters. Episodes centered around real-life topics rather than comics/gags/jokes.

I think I mostly don't like the over-sized roles that the various hormone monsters and Coach Steve are having in Big Mouth S2. I just find them beyond stupid. I do like the closer looks at the kids and the topics that matter to them.

Currently watching Atypical S2 on Netflix. Fantastic show that I'm shocked doesn't get more buzz.

Was very pleasantly surprised with S1 of Atypical because, as you say, it has gotten pretty much zero buzz. Haven't gotten around to S2 yet but I will. Looking forward to it more now, brew, so thanks.

Blasphemy. LOST INVENTED modern television. No other show has ever captivated viewers with recurring "mysteries" and compelling characters like LOST did, until maybe Game of Thrones.. 

Hmm ... I'm not sure how one defines "recurring mysteries," but I'd say Dallas, for one, captivated viewers WAY more than Lost did. I think the "Who Shot JR?" episode -- which became an international sensation -- is still one of the most watched programs in TV history.

Plenty of other shows did plenty of "captivating" before Lost existed, too. But sure, it does have its place in our culture, and you might be right about it starting some trends. I tried watching the first couple of episodes and just couldn't get into it; doesn't mean it was a bad show by any stretch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »
I watched The Good Place earlier this year, and it's one of my favorite network sitcoms ever.  By the time I started watching, the first two seasons had already been broadcast but I was unspoiled.  I really, really enjoyed it and got my family hooked as well.  It's an easy binge show because there are only two past seasons, and only 13 half-hour episodes per season.  So, you can blow through 5 episodes in a couple hours.

100% agreed. Danson and Bell are outstanding. Supporting cast does just enough

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »

I watched three (3) episodes on one of my flights this summer and I did enjoy.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »

Every season they make the playoffs.

I see what you did there!

feedback