[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pass Me The Ripple  (Read 14795 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Pass Me The Ripple
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »
Planning on finally getting in on Ripple. Going to buy Ether on Coinbase, then transferring to a placebo can trade for Ripple.. leaning toward Bitsane.

Any other suggestions as to the HOW to acquire Ripple? Any HUGE warnings again doing this?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
Re: Pass Me The Ripple
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »
JayBee

I have been buying Litecoin on Coinbase and then sending and converting on Kraken. Aside from taking a few hours to get up and running, it has been pretty much smooth sailing. Does not hurt that I first bought in at a very cheap price. Ripple has been getting some great main street press and having another great day.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Most of the time I don't feel that old.  And I know you fellas aren't that young.  But the words you use make me feel old.  Very old.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
Most of the time I don't feel that old.  And I know you fellas aren't that young.  But the words you use make me feel old.  Very old.
lol

I thought the same (had to google to learn the newer meaning of Ripple),

My first thought on "pass me the ripple" turned to Boone's Farm or 20/20, its cheap wine competitors...and source of my first buzzes in life.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
I'm older than most on here. Come on, guys...get on the Ripple train.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
Take a look at Stellar ... it's a fork from Ripple.  It going up even faster as many believe it is a better technology.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
Planning on finally getting in on Ripple. Going to buy Ether on Coinbase, then transferring to a placebo can trade for Ripple.. leaning toward Bitsane.

Any other suggestions as to the HOW to acquire Ripple? Any HUGE warnings again doing this?

Suggest Binance.  Also, have heard people losing transactions on kraken.  Careful on ripple.  Some of the alt coins max out.  Make sure you're not buying at the high.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »
Take a look at Stellar ... it's a fork from Ripple.  It going up even faster as many believe it is a better technology.

I bought right before it went nuts

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
Ripple?  What have you been doing, watching reruns of Sanford and Son?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
Yukon

Thanks for the Stellar info. We have been watching that the past few weeks and going to take the plunge today.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
Rise of Bitcoin Competitor Ripple Creates Wealth to Rival Zuckerberg

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/technology/bitcoin-ripple.html

The virtual currency boom has gotten so heated that it is throwing the list of the world’s richest people into disarray.

Consider what has happened to the founders of an upstart virtual currency known as Ripple, which has seen its value skyrocket in recent weeks.

At one point on Thursday, Chris Larsen, a Ripple co-founder who is also the largest holder of Ripple tokens, was worth more than $59 billion, according to figures from Forbes. That would have briefly vaulted Mr. Larsen ahead of Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg into fifth place on the Forbes list of the world’s richest people.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
How do we acquire Stellar? Do you have physical wallets??

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
You want a warning.  Go check out the Bitcoin thread.  Not only do Heisy and 82 actually agree on something, but in another post 82 is actually wishing Heisy good fortune. 

Let me repeat that... 82 was actually encouraging Heisy’s Bitcoin efforts.

If that doesn’t scream GTFO of cryptos, I don’t know what does.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »
You want a warning.  Go check out the Bitcoin thread.  Not only do Heisy and 82 actually agree on something, but in another post 82 is actually wishing Heisy good fortune. 

Let me repeat that... 82 was actually encouraging Heisy’s Bitcoin efforts.

If that doesn’t scream GTFO of cryptos, I don’t know what does.

Cryptos are a strange alternate universe where dogs and and cats sleep together and me and 82 agree in everything.

Enter at your own peril!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »

Binance.  You can get every coin worth getting there (with the exception of Raiblocks, which should arrive shortly).  Stellar trades as XLM.  I have a physical cold wallet... its a Trezor and it holds my BTC.  A few days ago I was hesitant to recommend REQ because it was having a rough week, but it rebounded nicely up.  Additionally, it is hitting all of its timelines and has a great model.

I recommend checking it out.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
Binance currently not accepting new users... ugh

So you have some Stellar coins but no physical wallet for it?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »

[/quote

https://www.stellar.org/lumens/wallets/

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »

I don't have a physical wallet, yet, but I never keep my stuff on the exchanges (Coinbase, etc).  I use Exodus as my digital wallet and keep the crazy long string of words needed in case I lose access to the account in a safety deposit box.

I'm tempted to get a physical wallet, however.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

I just signed up for Binance last week, that is strange.

Question for everyone, how are you guys handling taxes on this stuff?  The way I understand it, if we buy Bitcoin and then use Bitcoin to buy Ripple, that means we are selling Bitcoin in the process and realizing a loss or a gain.  Is that the way you see it?  On my Coinbase account I continue to get reminders at the top to make sure to pay taxes on this stuff, but we all know that these exchanges will not be sending out any 1099's or the like. 

Any accountants want to weigh in? 

https://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-reminds-users-to-pay-their-bitcoin-taxes/
— Plato

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:46 AM »
Ripple sounds like TP.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »
I just signed up for Binance last week, that is strange.

Question for everyone, how are you guys handling taxes on this stuff?  The way I understand it, if we buy Bitcoin and then use Bitcoin to buy Ripple, that means we are selling Bitcoin in the process and realizing a loss or a gain.  Is that the way you see it?  On my Coinbase account I continue to get reminders at the top to make sure to pay taxes on this stuff, but we all know that these exchanges will not be sending out any 1099's or the like. 

Any accountants want to weigh in? 

https://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-reminds-users-to-pay-their-bitcoin-taxes/

Binance stopped accepting new accounts yesterday.  Bitfinex about 4 days ago.

They are overwhelmed.

This is supposedly bullish.  Less than 1% of the population has crypto accounts, a lot more want in, so many that the exchanges cannot keep up.  (Interestingly the place that lags is the US.  It is the developed country with the highest amount of skepticism.)

Without a 1099, the IRS does not know your holdings or gains.  So it is up to you to self report.

In this regard, it is like paying your internet sales tax.  You told to make up some number that cannot be audited.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
https://www.binance.com/?ref=11937510

In case anyone wants to use my ref link.  ;D

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
Everyone wants in and the exchanges are buckling under the pressure.

https://news.bitcoin.com/coinbase-withdrawal-delays-leave-users-frustrated-crying-foul/

San Francisco-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase is experiencing several disruptions to its normal business operations. According to the company’s status page, it is now facing transactions delays, wire processing delays and ID verification delays. Coinbase also reports users are getting degraded performance for both bitcoin (BTC) and ethereum (ETH).

The Coinbase team blames all these problems on high traffic, high volumes and a need to cope with a backlog of transactions. This is in common with other exchanges all around the world who say they can’t handle the massive influx of new traders without causing operational problems. Also similar to the other trading venues, the Coinbase team promises they are working on adding additional resources to optimize their systems to scale.

In general, users are calling on the company to take stronger actions to resolve the situation, and chief among those to halt new client registrations were recently done by Binance, CEX.IO, Bitfinex, and Bittrex. Some higher profile members of the bitcoin community have even taken to social media to threaten Coinbase with legal actions if their concerns are not met.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
How Coinbase could disrupt traditional brokerages and dominate the investment market
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/06/how-coinbase-could-disrupt-traditional-brokerages-and-dominate-the-investment-market/

Recent reports suggest that Coinbase now has more accounts than traditional brokerage Schwab.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/27/bitcoin-exchange-coinbase-has-more-users-than-stock-brokerage-schwab.html

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
How Coinbase could disrupt traditional brokerages and dominate the investment market
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/06/how-coinbase-could-disrupt-traditional-brokerages-and-dominate-the-investment-market/

Recent reports suggest that Coinbase now has more accounts than traditional brokerage Schwab.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/27/bitcoin-exchange-coinbase-has-more-users-than-stock-brokerage-schwab.html

Their fees are high. They need to get more competitive and I say that as a Coinbase user.
— Plato

feedback