collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I'm a loser! (But many of y'all already knew that)  (Read 1793 times)

MU82

• All American
I'm a loser! (But many of y'all already knew that)
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
Sadly, the girls HS team I assistant coach lost in the Elite Eight of the NC state playoffs last night.

Our opponent, the defending state champion, was excellent. And we didn't play well. As former Panthers and Bears coach John Fox used to say: We picked a bad game to have a bad game!

We still had a wonderful season filled with highlights. We went 25-4 and were ranked No. 2 in the Charlotte area. I am still in awe of how good our head coach is and how hard he works. And I really enjoyed working with a great group of kids and coaches.

In the end, my first year as a HS assistant (after 4 years as a middle-school head coach) was very rewarding and interesting.

I learned a lot - especially how much more I need to learn!

In that way, it's similar to life itself!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: I'm a loser! (But many of y'all already knew that)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
Bummer but Elite 8 is not a bad finish considering your bracket.  #crapshoot.

Love these reports. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
Sadly, the girls HS team I assistant coach lost in the Elite Eight of the NC state playoffs last night.

Our opponent, the defending state champion, was excellent. And we didn't play well. As former Panthers and Bears coach John Fox used to say: We picked a bad game to have a bad game!

We still had a wonderful season filled with highlights. We went 25-4 and were ranked No. 2 in the Charlotte area. I am still in awe of how good our head coach is and how hard he works. And I really enjoyed working with a great group of kids and coaches.

In the end, my first year as a HS assistant (after 4 years as a middle-school head coach) was very rewarding and interesting.

Well what did you expect without that team prayer before the game.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
Dont' worry, 82, we'll need 4 to 5 years to finish passing judgement on you due to this loss.

AND, I don't think you want to be the John Fox of coaching.  just sayin'.  Bear Down.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
Dont' worry, 82, we'll need 4 to 5 years to finish passing judgement on you due to this loss.

AND, I don't think you want to be the John Fox of coaching.  just sayin'.  Bear Down.

We're gonna have to call you Dukiet82 until you get a state title.

But, outstanding job. I'm not surprised at your success.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:25:33 PM by Jockey »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Mike - congrats on a great season! Hope you win it all next year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »
Agree with the topic!

You coaching this spring and/or summer? One of our kids is recruiting two other kids to our team. They have requested to meet with us (the coaches) after their HS game to discuss. If we get the kids we think we can, it’s gonna be a fun spring!

Everything has to come together this next week or so... but, feeling good for our 15U squad
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
Agree with the topic!

You coaching this spring and/or summer? One of our kids is recruiting two other kids to our team. They have requested to meet with us (the coaches) after their HS game to discuss. If we get the kids we think we can, it’s gonna be a fun spring!

Everything has to come together this next week or so... but, feeling good for our 15U squad

You two should write a book...then make a mockumentary...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:43 PM »
Mike - congrats on a great season! Hope you win it all next year.

Thanks a lot, Lenny. It was a lot of fun. We lose three seniors who were our best players and strongest personalities. The team will still be good next season - maybe even very good - but we sure will be different.

I wish you success with your AAU team, and mostly I hope it is a fun and rewarding experience. We adults set the tone for what the kids get out of these things. I'm sure you and your fellow coaches will do a great job.

I was asked to coach an AAU team, but I am kind of "basketballed out" and need a break. That was a much longer season that I was used to in middle school; "informal workouts" in Sept and Oct, scrimmages and preseason practices in early November, and then a 4-month season.

I also have 2 upcoming weddings (both of my kids - and not to each other - this ain't Kentucky!), so I wouldn't have really been able to give basketball the proper attention.

I probably will work a few sessions of Hornets Hoops Camp like I did last year. Plus, our HS team will have a 3-week June session that includes workouts and a summer tournament. That will be plenty!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:48:37 PM »

Brother MU, congratulations on a great season. I'm sure your girls are better for having you as a coach.

Keep learning -- the process of getting better never ends. I'm sure you'll do well next year.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
I wish you success with your AAU team, and mostly I hope it is a fun and rewarding experience. We adults set the tone for what the kids get out of these things. I'm sure you and your fellow coaches will do a great job.

I was asked to coach an AAU team, but I am kind of "basketballed out" and need a break.

I did last year. Plus, our HS team will have a 3-week June session that includes workouts and a summer tournament. That will be plenty!
First off, congratulations on the the season.

As a newbie to youth basketball......is there a benefit to being on an 'official' AAU team or are you using the term as a generic definition for a team that plays tournaments/leagues year round, gets "professionally" coached, and is made up of a composite of kids from different schools?

My 11yr old is on a team that's in addition to his school team and plays in year round tournaments and a city league in the non school seasons.  At the tournaments there are always 'official AAU' teams and the only difference I can see is that the parents are much more intense for the AAU teams.  The AAU teams are consistently pretty good but pretty on par with our team.

Any thoughts would be helpful - just want to make sure I'm not missing something

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
First off, congratulations on the the season.

As a newbie to youth basketball......is there a benefit to being on an 'official' AAU team or are you using the term as a generic definition for a team that plays tournaments/leagues year round, gets "professionally" coached, and is made up of a composite of kids from different schools?

My 11yr old is on a team that's in addition to his school team and plays in year round tournaments and a city league in the non school seasons.  At the tournaments there are always 'official AAU' teams and the only difference I can see is that the parents are much more intense for the AAU teams.  The AAU teams are consistently pretty good but pretty on par with our team.

Any thoughts would be helpful - just want to make sure I'm not missing something

There is true “AAU”, but most people say “AAU” when they really mean “travel spring/summer/etc team”

My 15U is a group of kids invited to be on the team, mostly from 2 high schools... everyone calls it AAU even though we’re not in AAU
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
There is true “AAU”, but most people say “AAU” when they really mean “travel spring/summer/etc team”

My 15U is a group of kids invited to be on the team, mostly from 2 high schools... everyone calls it AAU even though we’re not in AAU
Thank you, i appreciate the insider knowledge.  I figured that as long as our coach was developing the kids to be competitive with the other "travel spring/summer/etc" teams we're in good hands but wanted to make sure. 

feedback