[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lunardi just tweeted Marquette as "next four out"  (Read 38956 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Lunardi just tweeted Marquette as "next four out"
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
When does the NCAA release their top 16 teams?
Sunday on CBS. 11:30AM
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
Sunday on CBS. 11:30AM

Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere, but when will the Marquette/Creighton game time be announced?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:11 PM »

I really don't think there is any proof that the Committee bases its selection decisions on "the entertainment value of the tournament."

True.  Yet they are pretty strategic in their 5/12 pairings, and my gut feels they want the tournament to be as compelling as possible.  But, of course, no "proof."

Nah. Not how it works.

The committee doesn't look at Marquette and say "wow, they are only 3-8 in Tier 1 games." They look and say "wow, Marquette has 3 tier 1 victories." All those 8 losses mean is that we play a really tough schedule. They don't hurt us in the slightest. Don't help us (except in our computer #s), but definitely don't hurt us.

The only team that is better than us in Tier 1/Tier 2 games is Temple with 7 victories. St. Bonaventure and SMU ties us with 5 victories, but we have 3 Tier 1 victories while the two of them only have 2 Tier 1 victories. Western Kentucky only has 4 Tier 1/2 victories. You add in the fact that we are perfect against Tier 3/4 teams and each of them has at least one Tier 3 loss (and their Tier 2 losses are worse than our Tier 2 losses) and Marquette is beating all of them on Tiers.

You also have to keep in mind that there is a high major bias. So St. Bonaventure might get a "Tier 1 win" for winning at Buffalo whose RPI is currently 28. But the committee also knows that Seton Hall is MUCH better than Buffalo. So even though our Seton Hall road victory is only 1 RPI point better than St. Bonaventure's win over Buffalo, the committee will value the Seton Hall win a lot more than the Buffalo win. This is also hurts us because they won't value our win over Vermont as much.

Finally, I think you are right about good wins being more important than avoiding bad losses. However, we are not just talking about some bad losses. All four of the "Next Four Out" have at least FOUR losses to teams ranked 99 OR LOWER IN RPI. This isn't about having one bad loss to make up for. It's about having multiple terrible losses to make up for. Western Kentucky's win over Purdue (12) makes up for their loss to Ohio (227). But their win over SMU (71) doesn't come close to making up for their loss to UT-San Antonio (204).

Personally, I think Temple's resume is better than St. Bonaventure's and could make the tourney if they win most of their remaining games. The others? I don't see it.

Good info.  Thanks for clarifying.  I have not done the research on how the define Tier 1/Tier 2 (what the cutoffs/criteria are). 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere, but when will the Marquette/Creighton game time be announced?
I don't know. If I had to guess after next weekend. The game will be 11am, 1:30pm, 4pm or 7pm.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
True.  Yet they are pretty strategic in their 5/12 pairings, and my gut feels they want the tournament to be as compelling as possible.  But, of course, no "proof."

I don't think they really are, I just think most of the matchups from the 5/12 to the 8/9 are pretty even matchups. Once you get past those elite teams, there's not a lot separating teams that are at-large worthy, which most teams to 12-seeds are.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
I don't think they really are, I just think most of the matchups from the 5/12 to the 8/9 are pretty even matchups. Once you get past those elite teams, there's not a lot separating teams that are at-large worthy, which most teams to 12-seeds are.

That, and 12 seeds are often talented and experienced mid majors who probably deserve a higher seed but high major bias keeps that from happening.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
Lunardi dropped us off the bubble completely for now. Still maintain that I think we're in if we finish 4-1, but a 14-11 team who has dropped 5 of 6 won't get much consideration.

We need to get to 4 or 5 wins back above 500 to start being considered.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
Lunardi dropped us off the bubble completely for now. Still maintain that I think we're in if we finish 4-1, but a 14-11 team who has dropped 5 of 6 won't get much consideration.

This week saturday is a necessity

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
This week saturday is a necessity

Butler was a big game.  Providence was a big game.  St. Johns was a big game. 

Simply put, we just have not won key games this year.  Looking at the stats, even if we somehow manage to get to .500 in BE play, we still are looking at a sub-50% (I think it's 49%) at making the tournament, due to the current bubble. 

Saturday is a necessity as much as next Wednesday's game against St. Johns (again) will be. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
Butler was a big game.  Providence was a big game.  St. Johns was a big game. 

Simply put, we just have not won key games this year.  Looking at the stats, even if we somehow manage to get to .500 in BE play, we still are looking at a sub-50% (I think it's 49%) at making the tournament, due to the current bubble. 

Saturday is a necessity as much as next Wednesday's game against St. Johns (again) will be.

Saturday's win has the biggest upside with a win and the smallest downside with a loss. It's not a must win, but if we lose then every other game becomes must win the rest of the year. So it sure would be nice to get.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Saturday's win has the biggest upside with a win and the smallest downside with a loss. It's not a must win, but if we lose then every other game becomes must win the rest of the year. So it sure would be nice to get.
Im telling you if we go 4-1 we need 2 in the BEAST

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »

To be an absolute lock? Maybe. To give ourselves a chance, no. T-Rank has us as one of the last teams in at 9-9 with a first round loss to Butler in the BET. We'd be flirting with danger, but I think we'd sneak in

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:50 AM »

I'm telling you you're wrong
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »

Yep.  Hard to argue with him at this point. Win Saturday and we'll be back in the first four out or better a week from today in Lunardi's bracket.

Yep again. Once we lose 1 more, every game the rest of the regular season is a must win.

This is a bad take.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

Is this purely your gut reaction without any actually numbers backing it up?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
Is this purely your gut reaction without any actually numbers backing it up?

Clearly just a gut feeling, because there are no numbers or history that back up his assertion.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
Clearly just a gut feeling, because there are no numbers or history that back up his assertion.

Yeah but was hoping to get someone like him to actually admit there's no evidence supporting their claim
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »
Yeah but was hoping to get someone like him to actually admit there's no evidence supporting their claim

I can confirm there is no evidence.  People are frustrated.  People think there is no way this team is going 4-1 (or even 3-2) to finish out BE play.  At this point, I don't blame them.  I prefer to be optimistic because I will enjoy the games more that way, but even the most optimistic guys are starting to realize that the tourney just may not be in the cards this year. 

I don't know if we can go 4-1. That can we debated all we want.  But if we do indeed go 4-1 to close BE play, I am extremely confident that we'll be in the tournament, no matter what happens in the BET.  And I think that at 3-2, we'll actually have a shot if we win a couple games in the BET, and get some help elsewhere, but I wouldn't bet on it.   

feedback