Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It only gets worse for Bucky  (Read 140769 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: It only gets worse for Bucky
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
Gard's postgame comments.  Lots of excuses - inexperience, injuries, etc. 
Injuries: Yes, they've had two guys injured.  One a freshman that wasn't starting (but admittedly with perhaps the most upside potential) and one a sophomore that had a ceiling of mediocre B10 point guard.  If they were counting on those two to turn them from an 18+ loss to team to an NCAA tourney team they are delusional.

Inexperience: Not really.  They have 5 juniors, at least one (possibly 2?) who are actually fourth year redshirts.  It's just that outside of Happ they are all really terrible.  It isn't that they are inexperienced, its that they have a five man class that is mostly a complete washout, and the sophs aren't much to pin any hopes on.  And they have zero help coming in next year from HS.  In fact, the expectation from many vadger fans is that those recruits were likely to themselves redshirt.

Amazingly, even excluding the incoming freshmen, they will still have 6 redshirt players on their roster.  Historically, that was one key to their success--being a very mature team.  Well, they still are, they just don't have very good players.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:13:57 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »
Pretty sure he is a strong Duke lean.
Someone should tell him that Duke lost the guy that used to coach their big men
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
Yep! What happened to the great potential of the great Charlie Thomas and Alex Illikanen, and we can't forget Andy VanVleit. Iverson
is a good athlete who can't shoot, Pritzl is a head case. Feel sorry for
Happ. But, How sweet it is.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
Yep! What happened to the great potential of the great Charlie Thomas and Alex Illikanen, and we can't forget Andy VanVleit. Iverson
is a good athlete who can't shoot, Pritzl is a head case. Feel sorry for
Happ. But, How sweet it is.

Happ went 10-19 at the line last night.  I'm pretty sure I could do better than that I haven't played competitive basketball since I was like 6. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
Pretty sure he is a strong Duke lean.

Affirmative. I live in Rochester, and the local news often shows K in the stands at his games. Doubt K would be showing up if it wasn’t pretty serious.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #455 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
Where is Hurt projected to go?  Just watched a special on him on FSN.  Solid big guy.

Heard he will be a Dookie. Was told that there's no chance he ends up following his brother to Minnesota, definitely going to a blue blood but you never know.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #456 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
Happ went 10-19 at the line last night.  I'm pretty sure I could do better than that I haven't played competitive basketball since I was like 6.

Actually he was 8 for 19.  Happless.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #457 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
Just watched a replay of the Nebraska game.

I forgot how ugly pritzl is, f***.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #458 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:19:01 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #459 on: January 30, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Who looks more beat down?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
With good recruiting, I think we could be looking at another tournament streak that could rival and surpass the one that I experienced when I was a student.

Brother TAMU, I'm looking forward to another tournament streak that rivals and surpasses the one that I experienced when I was a student (the 1970s).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
Brother TAMU, I'm looking forward to another tournament streak that rivals and surpasses the one that I experienced when I was a student (the 1970s).

All we have to do is convince dozens of top-tier teams to not go into the inner cities and recruit black kids, and we can  get back to where we were in the Al Era.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #462 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:26 AM »
All we have to do is convince dozens of top-tier teams to not go into the inner cities and recruit black kids, and we can  get back to where we were in the Al Era.

Or be better at recruiting the best ballplayers in the nation, regardless of ethnicity, than any of those dozens of top teams. I'm convinced we can do that -- and will!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Or be better at recruiting the best ballplayers in the nation, regardless of ethnicity, than any of those dozens of top teams. I'm convinced we can do that -- and will!

I hope you are right.

It's not realistic to believe we can be the next Duke or Kentucky or Kansas. But I do think that those of us (including me) who think it's possible that Marquette can replicate what Villanova and Gonzaga have done are not being too pollyannaish.

All I was saying in my earlier comment (as you surely know) is that the recruiting landscape was vastly different when we were a "blueblood" ourselves. Al was smart enough and good enough to take advantage of it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
I hope you are right.

It's not realistic to believe we can be the next Duke or Kentucky or Kansas. But I do think that those of us (including me) who think it's possible that Marquette can replicate what Villanova and Gonzaga have done are not being too pollyannaish.

All I was saying in my earlier comment (as you surely know) is that the recruiting landscape was vastly different when we were a "blueblood" ourselves. Al was smart enough and good enough to take advantage of it.

Of course. Marquette was open minded about who attended our university both as ballplayers and as students much earlier than most NCAA schools. There's a reason UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina et al were really good back then. People knew that if they went to one of these schools, they'd be treated fairly. Our reputation, along with UCLA's and Coach Wooden's, spoke for itself.

The mid-1960s to the mid-1970s was a time when too many of our brothers and sisters didn't get a fair shake in many parts of the country. We're  generally passed that (although far from not completely) and I acknowledge that becoming a blue blood today is different. If the Blessed Al were still alive, he'd say the same thing.

I would call your attention to the fact that Michigan State, often considered a blue blood, was not always a blue blood. Likewise, I believe Villanova  either is a blue blood or is on the way to blue blood status. So long as Coach Wright stays at Villanova, I see nothing not colored blue and gold that will slow them down one iota. Keeping a good coach around, as North Carolina, Duke, Michigan State and Kansas shows, is critical.

The hardest part of "getting there" to blue blood status is patience. Coach Wojo inherited a dumpster fire and by all measures has cleaned it up, removed the toxins and started us on our way. It remains to be seen how he leverages what we has and will have over the next few years. But, if the talent gels and he gets our team to play as a unit, I'm confident Coach Wojo has a chance to move us into elite status.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Of course. Marquette was open minded about who attended our university both as ballplayers and as students much earlier than most NCAA schools. There's a reason UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina et al were really good back then. People knew that if they went to one of these schools, they'd be treated fairly. Our reputation, along with UCLA's and Coach Wooden's, spoke for itself.

The mid-1960s to the mid-1970s was a time when too many of our brothers and sisters didn't get a fair shake in many parts of the country. We're  generally passed that (although far from not completely) and I acknowledge that becoming a blue blood today is different. If the Blessed Al were still alive, he'd say the same thing.

I would call your attention to the fact that Michigan State, often considered a blue blood, was not always a blue blood. Likewise, I believe Villanova  either is a blue blood or is on the way to blue blood status. So long as Coach Wright stays at Villanova, I see nothing not colored blue and gold that will slow them down one iota. Keeping a good coach around, as North Carolina, Duke, Michigan State and Kansas shows, is critical.

The hardest part of "getting there" to blue blood status is patience. Coach Wojo inherited a dumpster fire and by all measures has cleaned it up, removed the toxins and started us on our way. It remains to be seen how he leverages what we has and will have over the next few years. But, if the talent gels and he gets our team to play as a unit, I'm confident Coach Wojo has a chance to move us into elite status.

I've heard that Al saw the changes that were coming and it had a lot to do with his resignation.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #466 on: January 31, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »

Gard already got the message...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #467 on: January 31, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »
Gard already got the message...

Yes, but did he get the massage?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #468 on: January 31, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
Who looks more beat down?

Izzo - higher expectations, perhaps.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #469 on: January 31, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
Hope Barry gives Gard 5 more years.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #470 on: January 31, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
#Gard4Life

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #471 on: January 31, 2018, 02:33:03 PM »
Hope Barry gives Gard 5 more years.

I'm conflicted ...

My instinct is to hope that Bucky's nose gets rubbed into it and they lose their last 8 straight and have 21 losses going into the B1G tourney.

But ... I want Gard to stick around.  So should I root for a couple of upsets?

What should I do????

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #472 on: January 31, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
I've heard that Al saw the changes that were coming and it had a lot to do with his resignation.

Nope.  Al wanted to make some cash.  He was 47, he knew it was getting past time to earn.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #473 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
I'm conflicted ...

My instinct is to hope that Bucky's nose gets rubbed into it and they lose their last 8 straight and have 21 losses going into the B1G tourney.

But ... I want Gard to stick around.  So should I root for a couple of upsets?

What should I do????

I root for them to keep on losing, and for Gard to get a long extension.  Call me greedy....

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #474 on: February 01, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
We are staying neck and neck for 5 losses between the programs NICE!