[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 491095 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3275 on: September 14, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »
Bingo.

Actually, It's just poor taste to trash talk the 2nd place team in one of their best seasons (oops).  But carry on...

Seriously though, as a cubs fan, I'm happy for the brewers.  And I'd guess most cubs fans on this particular forum are in the same boat (with the Milwaukee connection).  Now, I hope it's not at the cubs expense, but if it is so be it...

But I do find it amusing how people over analyze these late season games.  It's a long season, and things generally work towards there averages.  Those still have some room to change these last couple weeks (i.e. the cubs and brewers could flip, even a couple times), but it's more likely that the results are about the same as now by the end of the season.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:45:07 AM by rocky_warrior »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3276 on: September 14, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
The idea that Strop is out “weeks” already, hours after the injury is interesting. Nobody has any idea how long he will be out. Could feel fine this morning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3277 on: September 14, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
The idea that Strop is out “weeks” already, hours after the injury is interesting. Nobody has any idea how long he will be out. Could feel fine this morning.

Sometimes when you get injured you know it's going to be a multi-week thing, even before you have the professional diagnosis based on all the scans and tests you may need to make it official and know exactly what it is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3278 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
Actually, It's just poor taste to trash talk the 2nd place team in one of their best seasons (oops).  But carry on...

Seriously though, as a cubs fan, I'm happy for the brewers.  And I'd guess most cubs fans on this particular forum are in the same boat (with the Milwaukee connection).  Now, I hope it's not at the cubs expense, but if it is so be it...

But I do find it amusing how people over analyze these late season games.  It's a long season, and things generally work towards there averages.  Those still have some room to change these last couple weeks (i.e. the cubs and brewers could flip, even a couple times), but it's more likely that the results are about the same as now by the end of the season.

I'm not a Brewers fan, but I definitely know what you're talking about with the "connection."

I was at Marquette during the most fun time in the history of the franchise -- the Bambi's Bombers/Harvey's Wallbangers Era.

Molitor, Yount, Sixto, Gorman, Ogilvie, Cooper, Money, Bando, Gantner, Simmons ... man, could those teams hit! They'd win games 11-9, and Bernie Brewer was a busy boy -- even a better "slider" than Baez!

They actually had some pretty good pitching, too -- Caldwell, Haas, Vuke, McClure, Rollie, etc.

Lots of crazy characters to keep things interesting, as well, plus both Bambi and Harvey were very likable.

Depending on who they were playing, we would do one of two things:

1. Tailgate for hours, often not making it into the ballpark until the second inning (a few times, I confess, we never made it in at all).

2. Tailgate for awhile but then go inside in time for batting practice. Sit in the RF bleachers ($2.50) and chase the HR shots. I especially liked this option when the Yankees were in town because of all their LH pull hitters: Reggie, Nettles, Gamble, Chambliss, etc. Many, many BP souvenirs over the years.

Very good memories of this time, obviously. I was a Yankee fan back then, but I've been "agnostic" for years -- just enjoy good baseball.

Both the Brewers and the Cubs provide that quite often.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3279 on: September 14, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »
I see you don't follow the Red Sox.

You are way off.  Red Sox fans are far from arrogant and still fully expect to find a way to lose every year.  It is so ingrained that the three championships haven't overcome it.  The Sox blew a 9 game lead in September as recently as 2011 and nobody was surprised (and lost on the last night when Papelbon blew a save against Baltimore and the Yankees gave up a 7 run lead in the 8th inning to the Rays.

Further, the Red Sox were not lovable losers.  They were good and in contention just about every year and always found a way to blow it.  The Cubs 1969 season would not make the Red Sox top 10 list of blown chances since 1967.  2003 would have, of course.

FWIW, the Astros have been injured a lot this year, but they are getting healthy now, and for my money are the best team and the favorites to win it.  Beyond them, the second best team in the AL right now is the Oakland A's.  As strange as it may seem given the way the Yankees have tortured the Red Sox, I'd rather see the Yankees beat the A's than the other way around.  The Indians are totally a product of their terrible division.  They have a losing record when not playing AL Central teams.  I would say they are the 6th best team in the AL, with Tampa Bay being the non-playoff team that is better than them.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #3280 on: September 14, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Relief pitching is about to suck for the Cubs. CEJ has been terrible the last couple of weeks.
I have never been more certain of what was going to happen in a Cubs game this year than I was that Edwards would give up the lead when he came in yesterday. 

There should be a minimum 6 run lead for him to be allowed to pitch until he can consistently throw strikes. Then again, with the Cubs offense lately that might shelve him for the season.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3281 on: September 14, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
You are way off.  Red Sox fans are far from arrogant
Ok.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3282 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »

You're right.  I made it up.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3283 on: September 14, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
Red Sox fans are far from arrogant and still fully expect to find a way to lose every year. 

I can't wait to meet those ones. I wonder if they know all the arrogant Red Sox fans in my life.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3284 on: September 14, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
My experience with Red Sox fans matches up with what CTWarrior is saying. Though one thing that all the Red Sox fans I personally know do that drives me crazy is complain about the Yankees' payroll....even though they have been top 5 in payroll forever...and passed the Yankees in 2017.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3285 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
Sometimes when you get injured you know it's going to be a multi-week thing, even before you have the professional diagnosis based on all the scans and tests you may need to make it official and know exactly what it is.

Thanks for injury splaining to a physical therapist. He probably will be out weeks, he could come back next week. Acute injuries are really hard to predict, specifically minutes right after they happen. Have we heard definitely that Rodgers will play this week? He probably doesn’t know yet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3286 on: September 14, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »
Thanks for injury splaining to a physical therapist. He probably will be out weeks, he could come back next week. Acute injuries are really hard to predict, specifically minutes right after they happen. Have we heard definitely that Rodgers will play this week? He probably doesn’t know yet.

I understand you’re smarter than me. You’ve made it clear most times injuries are brought up.

I’m guessing that if the Cubs are saying he’s out multiple weeks, well, they’re a little closer to the situation than you are.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:05:33 PM by mannionsworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3287 on: September 14, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3288 on: September 14, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »

FWIW, the Astros have been injured a lot this year, but they are getting healthy now, and for my money are the best team and the favorites to win it.  Beyond them, the second best team in the AL right now is the Oakland A's.  As strange as it may seem given the way the Yankees have tortured the Red Sox, I'd rather see the Yankees beat the A's than the other way around.  The Indians are totally a product of their terrible division.  They have a losing record when not playing AL Central teams.  I would say they are the 6th best team in the AL, with Tampa Bay being the non-playoff team that is better than them.
I agree on the AL ranking.

As for my Astros.....Last year we needed career bests from Altuve, Springer, Correa and Marwin Gonzalez. Pitching was patchwork until the stretch trade for Verlander. Our relievers were patchwork incl converted starters.Maybe we overacheived...2018 is truly a strong, good team though.

Now...3 all star starters ....Verlander Cole Morton Kuechel ....no 1s on most teams. Relievers with Pressley Osuna Mchugh Harris Sipp and Rondon have best ERA of all relief corps. Offense.....Only Bregman has had a career year....with all the others back from injury we are just rounding our hitting into form. One or two call ups wont even make our 25 man squad for playoffs but are likely good enough to start for most teams. We are about 1.5 -2 times better than 2017...other teams improved a lot but we SHOULD be there to the end.

Houston fans are hard learned dis believers in our teams so we'll root like crazy, but we will take any loss/elimination as typical for our near miss history
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3289 on: September 14, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
I agree that on paper the Astros are the best team, but there's a reason that it's so hard to repeat.  Verlander is going to exceed 200 ip two years in a row, plus an additional 36 in the 2017 post season.  Cole will exceed 200 ip after a 200+ inning year last year, although no post season.  Morton only threw 150 in 2017 and will only slightly exceed that this year, but he also threw 23 post season last year.  Keuchel will hit 200 this year after 150 last year, but another 27 in the playoffs. 

Those four combined to throw 86 post season innings last year.  Compared to just 19 for the combo of Sale, Price, and Porcello for the Red Sox (the 2nd best team on paper).  Plus an extra month of offseason for their arms to recuperate.  I think it'll be one of those two teams coming out of the AL and then winning it all but in the last 24 months Red Sox aces have thrown considerably fewer innings than Astros aces, and that could make a considerable difference this October.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3290 on: September 14, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
First to admit I was wrong on strop.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3291 on: September 14, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »
First to admit I was wrong on strop.

Rosie ripping Joe.  As i  said in the past, Joe tends to overmanage.  I think the third Strop inning iwas questionable but he did have to use nine pitchers yesterday. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-joe-maddon-decisions-rosenbloom-20180914-story,amp.html

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3292 on: September 14, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »
Rosie ripping Joe.  As i  said in the past, Joe tends to overmanage.  I think the third Strop inning iwas questionable but he did have to use nine pitchers yesterday. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-joe-maddon-decisions-rosenbloom-20180914-story,amp.html

Rosendoom!

jesmu84

• All American

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3294 on: September 14, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »

We know now.  That really hurts the Cubs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3295 on: September 14, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
Verlander is going to exceed 200 ip two years in a row, plus an additional 36 in the 2017 post season.  Cole will exceed 200 ip after a 200+ inning year last year, although no post season.  Morton only threw 150 in 2017 and will only slightly exceed that this year, but he also threw 23 post season last year.  Keuchel will hit 200 this year after 150 last year, but another 27 in the playoffs. 

Those four combined to throw 86 post season innings last year.  Compared to just 19 for the combo of Sale, Price, and Porcello for the Red Sox (the 2nd best team on paper).  Plus an extra month of offseason for their arms to recuperate.  I think it'll be one of those two teams coming out of the AL and then winning it all but in the last 24 months Red Sox aces have thrown considerably fewer innings than Astros aces, and that could make a considerable difference this October.

Oh no! 200 innings for those guys? Why ... that's, like, 6 innings per start! They must be exhausted!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3296 on: September 14, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »

Yup, Cubs fan who grew up on the Northside but never disliked the Brewers. In fact, had a whole lot of fun cheering for them in 2011 my Freshman year at Marquette.

Don't know where this Brewers/Cubs "rivalry" sprung from.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3297 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:07 PM »
Oh no! 200 innings for those guys? Why ... that's, like, 6 innings per start! They must be exhausted!!!

Including the post season, a lot of those guys are starting to close in on 250, which is a lot, no matter who you ask.

When the cubs won it all in 2016 their core was Hendricks, Lester, Arrieta, Lackey, and Hammel (all 160+ ip, and 4 over 185).  Do you  think it's a coincidence that every single one of them had worse years in 2017 (Lester, Lackey, and Hammel by a considerable margin) when they had the extra work load in October 2016 and a month shorter offseason?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:16:09 PM by Its DJOver »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3298 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Including the post season, a lot of those guys are starting to close in 250, which is a lot, no matter who you ask.

I hear ya, DJO. Just having a little fun in my final hours before I lose electricity and am plunged into hopeless darkness!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3299 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:23 PM »
Don't know where this Brewers/Cubs "rivalry" sprung from.

Honestly, I think it's mostly from Cubs fans filling Miller Park. Tons of Cubs fans bought tickets and had fun in Milwaukee, and Milwaukee fans got upset. The "rivalry" has become more pronounced since the Cubs started winning.

Since the Brewers jumped to the NL, I've never got the sense anyone here cares about the Pirates or Reds. They don't like the Cards because they win, but hate the Cubs because they win and their fans are always present.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback