[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498785 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3175 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »
The problem with the game Thursday isn’t necessarily the start of the game, but the end. As Florence approaches Thursday evening, if that game goes three and a half hours, that storm is going to keep moving inland, and the outer bands and wind will continue to pick up. From a team perspective, will a plane be able to get out of there after that game? From a resource perspective, would there be enough police/first responders? They (probably) should be utilized elsewhere most would argue.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #3176 on: September 11, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
Was anyone at the game tonight?  Heard that one of the Brewers took off his warm up jacket while in the outfield during BP and was wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey.  The fans were not pleased. Haven't seen a picture so not sure who it was but Twitter says it was probably Knebel.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3177 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »
Was anyone at the game tonight?  Heard that one of the Brewers took off his warm up jacket while in the outfield during BP and was wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey.  The fans were not pleased. Haven't seen a picture so not sure who it was but Twitter says it was probably Knebel.

Haven't seen or heard any mention but that would be freakin' cool.  ARodg is super supportive of all things Wisconsin, including its sport teams.  That extends all the way to Marquette as we all know.  Not to get all 'over analyze', but I honestly believe he learned the lesson from Favre.  Someday your playing career is over and besides Super Bowl rings all he has to work for is Bart Starr's legacy.  He has long and loudly proclaimed Wisconsin 'home' and practices what he preaches.  In his case I sincerely believe it's genuine. Not sure Danica ever successfully pulls off Sconnie girl however even if it's in her interest.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3178 on: September 11, 2018, 07:14:15 AM »

As a bears fan, I hope this is a true story.  Bears fans deserve that treatment for the implosion of '18

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3179 on: September 11, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
The problem with the game Thursday isn’t necessarily the start of the game, but the end. As Florence approaches Thursday evening, if that game goes three and a half hours, that storm is going to keep moving inland, and the outer bands and wind will continue to pick up. From a team perspective, will a plane be able to get out of there after that game? From a resource perspective, would there be enough police/first responders? They (probably) should be utilized elsewhere most would argue.

All true.  I want a fair fight down the stretch but this is going to further wear out a Cubs team that truly looks to be sucking wind right now.  I wonder if MLB would allow them to keep 15-20 ballplayers home for that game and just sacrifice a loss for the sake of rest.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: September 11, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »
As a bears fan, I hope this is a true story.  Bears fans deserve that treatment for the implosion of '18

Not sure the fans necessarily deserve it but if you can't have a little fun like that without it becoming too 'in your face' it's all good.  I had a little back and forth last night with a friend who is a Bears/Cubs fan.  All good.  This isn't life or death.   :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3181 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
Didn't hear about anyone in the bullpen, but saw Sedar doing some putting guys through workouts in a Packers hat.

When I coached our really good club volleyball team and we'd have a tournament the weekend of the Bears/Packers game (typically in IL) our entire team would bring Packers jerseys and wear them to warm up.  Didn't hurt that we knew nobody was going to beat us, but still you have to have a little fun in life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3182 on: September 11, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
Serious question, why is Yelich all over the MVP conversation, especially from the Brewer announcers, but nothing on Cain? 

Because he has a better slugging percentage than Cain by 120 points and a better OPS by about 100.  Right now he tops the NL in offensive WAR.

Cain has been great, but Yelich has been more powerful without sacrificing batting average.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3183 on: September 11, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
Granted I don't see as many Brewer games as you guys but from the outside looking in I'd say Yelich > Cain.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3184 on: September 11, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »
All true.  I want a fair fight down the stretch but this is going to further wear out a Cubs team that truly looks to be sucking wind right now.  I wonder if MLB would allow them to keep 15-20 ballplayers home for that game and just sacrifice a loss for the sake of rest.

You mean like when the Brewers had the same thing heading into the all-star break?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3185 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
You mean like when the Brewers had the same thing heading into the all-star break?

Every team has stretches of 20 games.  The Cubs had one earlier in the year. 

My complaint is how MLB is handling this.  On Sunday, Pirates/Miami was canceled early in the morning.  Cubs/Nats went to the stadium for four hours before canceling it.  Pirates/Miami is being made up on October 1.  Cubs/Nats is being made up on a mutual off day when a hurricane is scheduled to hit.  Why not schedule it for October 1 and avoid the weather?

At least have an alternate plan in place for if a hurricane hits.  But so far nothing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3186 on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »

My complaint is how MLB is handling this.  On Sunday, Pirates/Miami was canceled early in the morning.  Cubs/Nats went to the stadium for four hours before canceling it.  Pirates/Miami is being made up on October 1.  Cubs/Nats is being made up on a mutual off day when a hurricane is scheduled to hit.  Why not schedule it for October 1 and avoid the weather?

At least have an alternate plan in place for if a hurricane hits.  But so far nothing.

I don't see that Pittsburgh and Miami share an off day on their schedules before Oct. 1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3187 on: September 11, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »

MLB wants to schedule the game prior to the end of the season on a mutual day off, especially with the NL Wild Card game scheduled for October 2.  It would be especially unfair for the road team should the Cubs be hosting that game.  Furthermore, what if there are other rain outs between now and the end of the season?  They will need October 1 to schedule those if something else can't work.

My guess is that they will determine if Thursday's game is going to move ahead before they would need to leave Chicago on Wednesday.  Right now, the forecast isn't terrible by any stretch. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:33:34 AM by #bansultan »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »

We know all teams face it.  And the Crew totally ran out of gas at the end of their stretch.  I'm not feeling sorry for the Cubs but if I were them I'd leave as much of the team as I could in Chicago and 'sacrifice' that upcoming Washington game with nothing but AAA ballplayers.  They do have the distinct advantage of having an expanded roster.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3189 on: September 11, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »

Tall, MLB is always going to take advantage of a mutual off day at this point in the season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3190 on: September 11, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »

MLB wants to schedule the game prior to the end of the season on a mutual day off, especially with the NL Wild Card game scheduled for October 2.  It would be especially unfair for the road team should the Cubs be hosting that game.  Furthermore, what if there are other rain outs between now and the end of the season?  They will need October 1 to schedule those if something else can't work.

My guess is that they will determine if Thursday's game is going to move ahead before they would need to leave Chicago on Wednesday.  Right now, the forecast isn't terrible by any stretch.

100% agree.  I wonder what Plan B is?  Move the game to 10/1 or move the location?  I'm guessing the latter as the Cubs are almost out of available dates for other potential rainouts with only 9/20 uncommitted right now. No 'sunny' day with a viable baseball stadium should be sacrificed at this juncture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3191 on: September 11, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
I get the mutual off day thing but when a hurricane is suppose to hit?   Move it to Miller, Wrigley, Houston, anywhere but DC.  The closer it gets to Thursday the more difficult it will be to prepare a stadium crew for a game.

EDIT: Avoid the east coast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:05:25 AM by TallTitan34 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3192 on: September 11, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
Honest question. If the MLB wanted to move the game to a "neutral" site like Milwaukee, would the hosting team have to agree to it? Could/would Milwakee say no to avoid giving the team they are competing with for the division title a de facto home game?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3193 on: September 11, 2018, 10:17:12 AM »
Honest question. If the MLB wanted to move the game to a "neutral" site like Milwaukee, would the hosting team have to agree to it? Could/would Milwakee say no to avoid giving the team they are competing with for the division title a de facto home game?

I'd assume the Brewers would have to agree.   They'd have to be able to staff a stadium in a short amount of time.  That can't be easy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3194 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
I get the mutual off day thing but when a hurricane is suppose to hit?   Move it to Miller, Wrigley, Houston, anywhere but DC.  The closer it gets to Thursday the more difficult it will be to prepare a stadium crew for a game.

EDIT: Avoid the east coast.

Again the hurricane will be more than 400 miles away at first pitch.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3195 on: September 11, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
If the game was rescheduled to 10/1 the Cubs would be talking about how unfair it was that they had to play so close to the Playoffs.  If the game meant something (difference between a Wild Card and a Division Title) and they had to throw their ace, lose the game, and then are down their ace while playing a 1 game Wild Card, goodness gracious would Cubs fans go nuts.

The only question would be why would you NOT play the game on Thursday?  Well, the answer is the Cubs want to be rested down the stretch.  So just call a game when it's sunny.  Simple.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3196 on: September 11, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
The only question would be why would you NOT play the game on Thursday?

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3197 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »

And if it does keep that path they will cancel the game before the Cubs leave.  You schedule it the first opening both teams have, and if the hurricane projections do not change at all you either pick a new day or new location.  I am not sure why you keep going on about this.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3198 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »
And if it does keep that path they will cancel the game before the Cubs leave.  You schedule it the first opening both teams have, and if the hurricane projections do not change at all you either pick a new day or new location.  I am not sure why you keep going on about this.

Plus that map looks a little out of date.  I live in the Tidewater area of Virginia, and the latest maps show strong winds starting to hit here Thursday and really pick up Friday.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3199 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

Because he believes that MLB has some kind of vendetta against his beloved Cubs.  Sultan's right.  It'll probably be sunny for the first pitch that afternoon.  And they could always bump it to a 10a start and buy even a few more hours.  The Nats ownership has the right to that gate and there's undoubtedly a Plan B already contemplated.  Cubs nation should simply deal with it.  Just like visitors have to deal with that HS level visiting clubhouse at Wrigley with a 36 man September roster.  Oh, the horror. 

feedback