[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498618 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1075 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
For those saying Joe would be angry if that happened to his team, the Pirates just slid past second base leading to the benches emptying.

It likely would have resulted in a double play if he challenged, however, he did not.

Like Maddon, I don’t like the rule either, however, I still would have challenged to give my team the advantage.

So clearly the Cubs took exception...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
So clearly the Cubs took exception...

Right. Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1077 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
For those saying Joe would be angry if that happened to his team, the Pirates just slid past second base leading to the benches emptying.

It likely would have resulted in a double play if he challenged, however, he did not.

Like Maddon, I don’t like the rule either, however, I still would have challenged to give my team the advantage.

I believe sliding past the base is legal as long as you make contact with the base first.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1078 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
I believe sliding past the base is legal as long as you make contact with the base first.

No, you must remain on the base in someway after passing the bag.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: May 30, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »

only at home

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: May 30, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »

It could not have been challenged and changed to an interference call because Baez did not attempt a throw to first.

Baez didn’t seem all that upset. He patted Musgrove on the hip as they were talking. It was far from being a heated exchange. The benches and bullpens were ready though  ::)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1081 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
No, you must remain on the base in someway after passing the bag.

Not sure about that - if you find something else in the rule book, I would love to see it.

Rule 6.01. A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs
when the runner:
(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before
reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home
plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

Seems that if he attempts to stay on the base, it is "allowed" to overslide.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: May 30, 2018, 11:23:50 PM »

you mean to tell me joe maddon was so indifferent about an entirely different play than the one where his player slid into the back of the catcher's leg while the catcher was completely exposed and completely blind to the slide that was coming towards him after the catcher had moved away from home plate specifically to avoid any kind of collision that joe didn't even bother to challenge a non-challengeable play?!  well golly gee, obviously we were all wrong, joe didn't give a damn so much that he gave up the chance of getting an extra out in a one run game just to prove a point!

you can't make this crap up.  chicago sports fans are the best.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: May 31, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
you can't make this crap up.  chicago sports fans are the best.

While TallTitan's take was fairly ridiculous, it's not like Chicago sports fans are any more biased than any others. I mean, do you even read what Marquette fans post on these very boards after a game?

As for the actual topic...Here's a quote from Javy Baez: "I'm not saying it was a bad slide, but he just went hard, and I asked him `What was that about?' He said sorry. Conversation was over."

Joe Maddon: "I had no problem with the slide."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1084 on: May 31, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »
While TallTitan's take was fairly ridiculous, it's not like Chicago sports fans are any more biased than any others. I mean, do you even read what Marquette fans post on these very boards after a game?

As for the actual topic...Here's a quote from Javy Baez: "I'm not saying it was a bad slide, but he just went hard, and I asked him `What was that about?' He said sorry. Conversation was over."

Joe Maddon: "I had no problem with the slide."

Eh....I've lived across the country. While every sport fan is biased...Chicago sports fans do add a little something extra that many do not IMHO. Its something you only see in New York, LA, and Chicago. Everyone thinks their hometown is the best....but only those from NY, LA, and Chicago think their hometown is the best...and don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:38 AM »
Random baseball question.  Why hasn't the MLB put in place a rule of mandatory punishment for players that leave the bench?  Every other sport has it. 

Basketball: Automatic ejection for leaving the bench during the game.
football: Penalty and ejection with possible suspension for leaving the sideline.
Soccer: Automatic ejection for any fighting seen by ref.  Ejection and suspension for leaving the bench.
Hockey: Even with fighting allowed, if you leave the bench to join a dust up automatic suspension.

A lot of these "brawls" start by players just walking toward each other jawing.  Things then escalate into a 5 minute group hug with maybe a little shoving.  If players know that punishment is coming for the slow walk/jawing that leads to most brawls, it would cut down the number of them.  You would still get the one's where players run out swinging, because any player that does that knows he's getting a suspension and doesn't care anyways.

I realize that best case scenario (bases loaded, plus batter, plus on deck batter, plus 1st and 3rd base coach) the hitting team would still be outnumbered if all players were required to stay in the dugout, as opposed to all other sports where the numbers would be even, but it seems like every other sport has actively implemented rules to prevent fighting/brawls, while baseball has just kind of let them happen.

Obviously no easy fix/solution, but I'm interested to see people takes on putting more strict guidelines regarding preventing brawls.

Side question, has anyone from the bullpen ever done anything in a brawl, or do they just use it to get a little exercise going for a jog? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: May 31, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
Eh....I've lived across the country. While every sport fan is biased...Chicago sports fans do add a little something extra that many do not IMHO. Its something you only see in New York, LA, and Chicago. Everyone thinks their hometown is the best....but only those from NY, LA, and Chicago think their hometown is the best...and don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Yeah, there are no teams better than the Bears, Blackhawks, Fire, Bulls and White Sox.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: May 31, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Random baseball question.  Why hasn't the MLB put in place a rule of mandatory punishment for players that leave the bench?  Every other sport has it. 

football: Penalty and ejection with possible suspension for leaving the sideline.
Soccer: Automatic ejection for any fighting seen by ref.  Ejection and suspension for leaving the bench.
Hockey: Even with fighting allowed, if you leave the bench to join a dust up automatic suspension.

A lot of these "brawls" start by players just walking toward each other jawing.  Things then escalate into a 5 minute group hug with maybe a little shoving.  If players know that punishment is coming for the slow walk/jawing that leads to most brawls, it would cut down the number of them.  You would still get the one's where players run out swinging, because any player that does that knows he's getting a suspension and doesn't care anyways.

I realize that best case scenario (bases loaded, plus batter, plus on deck batter, plus 1st and 3rd base coach) the hitting team would still be outnumbered if all players were required to stay in the dugout, as opposed to all other sports where the numbers would be even, but it seems like every other sport has actively implemented rules to prevent fighting/brawls, while baseball has just kind of let them happen.

Obviously no easy fix/solution, but I'm interested to see people takes on putting more strict guidelines regarding preventing brawls.

Side question, has anyone from the bullpen ever done anything in a brawl, or do they just use it to get a little exercise going for a jog?

Having a suspension rule would all but eliminate charging the mound. If a player is going to go 1 on 9, I doubt he goes for it.

What baseball should really do is crack down on pitchers who intentionally throw at batters. The ol' unwritten rule which is far more dangerous than any slide.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: May 31, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Having a suspension rule would all but eliminate charging the mound. If a player is going to go 1 on 9, I doubt he goes for it.

What baseball should really do is crack down on pitchers who intentionally throw at batters. The ol' unwritten rule which is far more dangerous than any slide.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be an automatic ejection/suspension rule.  It could be settled with just a fine, the way the NBA is seeming to go in playoff games when dust up are more common.  It just seems like nothing is being even attempted to prevent these preventable brawls, and I can't think the MLB thinks these brawls are good for baseball. 

As for your second point about throwing at batter, 100% agree, although another one that is harder to enforce.  I think a set in stone rule isn't necessarily the answer, but looking at these situation by situation and having consistent punishments is the way to go, although again, easy to say, harder to do.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:05 AM »

(cough cough) Boston (cough cough)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1090 on: May 31, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
(cough cough) Boston (cough cough)

Eh, Boston fans are their own kind of obnoxious...along with Philly fans. I wasn't saying that NY/CHI/LA fans are bad fans,  just that I've noticed some similarities between them.
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
For me its really easy to notice the Wisconsin scapegoating at sports. It's really easy to tell if someone is a Wisconsin sports fan on these boards, just look for people who constantly blame a single person for every action: IE Wades with Rowsey. (Unless of course its Derrick Wilson, then your allowed to use him as a scapegoat)

Same thing with that dude who dropped the onside kick against the seahawks. Wisconsin hated that man, not the fact the defense imploded, or that Rodgers failed to score a touchdown 4 (?) times while starting at the Seahawks 40.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1092 on: May 31, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
joe didn't even bother to challenge a non-challengeable play?!

Ah didn't realize it was non-reviewable because no throw was attempted.  Had Javy attempted a throw it would have been reviewable.  Joe in his postgame still said he had no problems with the slide.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1093 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »
For me its really easy to notice the Wisconsin scapegoating at sports. It's really easy to tell if someone is a Wisconsin sports fan on these boards, just look for people who constantly blame a single person for every action: IE Wades with Rowsey. (Unless of course its Derrick Wilson, then your allowed to use him as a scapegoat)

Same thing with that dude who dropped the onside kick against the seahawks. Wisconsin hated that man, not the fact the defense imploded, or that Rodgers failed to score a touchdown 4 (?) times while starting at the Seahawks 40.

I have Steve Bartman on line 1 for you.

I do give you credit for pointing out that you did that with Derrick Wilson... I also think the most famous Derrick basher is also from Chicago...
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: May 31, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »

I think the only time I really made Rowsey into a "scapegoat" is when our fifth year senior scorer scored a total of 0 points over the course of 3 consecutive halves of basketball in the heat of Big East play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1095 on: May 31, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »

have you ever seen a baseball player throw a punch?  98% of them look like they are trying out for Celebrity Boxing.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: May 31, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »
have you ever seen a baseball player throw a punch?  98% of them look like they are trying out for Celebrity Boxing.

Regardless of the fighting ability, I can't think that Manfred thinks that brawls are good for baseball, which begs the question why they haven't made some attempt to reduce the number of them?  I'm not complaining because they're entertaining, but I would think that something would be attempted at some point.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: May 31, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
Regardless of the fighting ability, I can't think that Manfred thinks that brawls are good for baseball, which begs the question why they haven't made some attempt to reduce the number of them?  I'm not complaining because they're entertaining, but I would think that something would be attempted at some point.

I'm not sure why you assume Manfred, or anyone else, thinks that brawls are bad for baseball. Has anyone in the stands ever been seen rushing to the concession stand in the middle of a brawl? Or turning off their TV when a batter charges the mound?
They'll never admit it, and won't encourage it, but I don't think anyone really gets too worked up about the occasional brawl.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: June 01, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
I'm not sure why you assume Manfred, or anyone else, thinks that brawls are bad for baseball. Has anyone in the stands ever been seen rushing to the concession stand in the middle of a brawl? Or turning off their TV when a batter charges the mound?
They'll never admit it, and won't encourage it, but I don't think anyone really gets too worked up about the occasional brawl.

Agreed.  Brawls are rare enough that there is a little interest when they occur.

I'd much rather they change the replay rule to give the manager only 20 seconds to challenge a play after its completion.  Let the bang-bang plays where you need slow motion replay from 5 angles to determine if it was right go.  Get the egregious ones corrected and keep the game moving.  Hold the managers to one unsuccessful challenge per game and don't allow them to ask for another one.  I turn games off when they are reviewing replays.  They just kill the game's momentum.  Hate them in all sports, especially in basketball where they take 5 minutes to decide if there is 6.2 or 6.7 seconds left on the clock.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: June 01, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »
Not sure about that - if you find something else in the rule book, I would love to see it.

Rule 6.01. A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs
when the runner:
(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before
reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home
plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

Seems that if he attempts to stay on the base, it is "allowed" to overslide.

Did you see actually see the play in question?

feedback