collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499234 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1050 on: May 29, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
I don't pretend to know or care whether Rizzo had the mens rea to be intentionally "dirty" - I actually think this is almost certainly not the case. Rizzo's a good dude and plays the right way. He made a split second decision to try to break up the play.

But at the same time, I think every sport where opponents can come into physical contact with each other have rules, whether expressly or by implication, that make it illegal for one guy to slide into another guy from behind.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: May 29, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
If Braun did that to Contreras, I’d assume the reactions would be a little different here.

Honestly, if I'm Madden I DONT start Contreras tonight.  Someone on the Buccos will be looking for blood and Contreras is a likely target. 

I love a good baseball brawl though, and I bet we get one tonight.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1052 on: May 29, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »
Rizzo did #1, #2, and #3.  #4 is tricky and is a judgement call.  There is no "slide to avoid contact" like there is in youth or collegiate baseball.  However, if you change direction to slide into the catcher, then it IS illegal.  If you watch the video, Rizzo started running OUTSIDE the third base line (as players are taught) then cuts INSIDE the line about 20 feet from home.  Is that far enough back to not be considered changing direction?? I guess so.

I umpire baseball from youth leagues, to high school, to adults.  And in ALL of those situations, I'm probably calling the play interference.

I don't think he did #3. The meaning of it is that you can slide across the plate and don't need to maintain contact.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: May 29, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Do we think the Brewers are going to be buyers as the trade deadline starts to approach?  I'd have to say I wouldn't mind seeing a trade well in advance for a stud pitcher a la CC Sabathia.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: May 29, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
It’s one thing to take out a SS or 2B who is turning a double play at second and can see the play coming. It’s another when the catcher makes the play, steps way out of the way, and is turned the opposite way of the runner. You could snap the catcher’s achilles or roll over their ankle. That was bush league.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
It’s one thing to take out a SS or 2B who is turning a double play at second and can see the play coming. It’s another when the catcher makes the play, steps way out of the way, and is turned the opposite way of the runner. You could snap the catcher’s achilles or roll over their ankle. That was bush league.

A runner in that position can either...

1) Go in hard and try to break up the double play

or

2) Avoid the catcher and concede the out

If the runner is on your team, which would you prefer he do?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1056 on: May 29, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
Do we think the Brewers are going to be buyers as the trade deadline starts to approach?  I'd have to say I wouldn't mind seeing a trade well in advance for a stud pitcher a la CC Sabathia.

The trade deadline isn't starting to approach yet, (Sabathia was traded to the Brewers on July 7, 2008, and that was an "early trade").  A lot can happen in 6 weeks.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: May 29, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »

I think they'll be very active in conversations, but I think they wait until they have all available information before deciding to pull the trigger. I'm not sure they actually do - there are other spots I'd rather take a flier on. They'll see where they are with injuries - specifically Jimmy, but certainly others that come up. I also think they dip their pool in the middle infielder market (gee, wouldn't it be nice to have Scooter Gennett right now?). If healthy, Jimmy is as good a mid-season acquisition as you can hope for.

I also don't know that there's a top of the line guy available, and projecting that is made more difficult since the NL is such a logjam. You look at the guys that moved this offseason, and perhaps only Odorizzi has met or exceeded expectations, and he's certainly no ace. My best guess on who's available, and it's a whole lot of 'meh' if I'm the Brewers.
1. Cole Hamels - Stats look good on Memorial Day, but advanced stats suggest it's not sustainable.
2. Chris Archer - Rays asking a lot (weird given how they mailed it in on their other trades), sports a high 3s FIP. Teammate Snell also a possibility, but have to think they see him as part of the rebuild.
3. Pat Corbin - Could be a great rental candidate for the right team (not Milwaukee)
4. J.A. Happ/Stroman - Happ would be a cheaper rental. Stroman looked REALLY good coming into this year, but the wheels have fallen off. Stats aren't as bad as ERA makes it look.
5. Tyson Ross - another loaner who will cash in in UFA

If those are my options, I'd almost rather go for one more dominant reliever or sit tight. Bummer that the Reds wouldn't trade Iglesias within the division...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »

or

Where is the catcher standing? Did he tag home and move in front of the plate such that breaking up the play requires the runner to deviate from the direct path to home plate and take said catcher out from behind?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: May 29, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »
The slide certainly looked dirty to me. I can't think of a reason that a runner would be on the infield grass (which Rizzo clearly was) before sliding, other than to take out the catcher.  No intent to injure, but still should have been interference, he'll get hit tonight though.  I'd set the over/under on hbp's tonight at 3.5

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: May 29, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
Interference, yes.   'Dirty'.... meh.   He was clearly trying to disrupt the catcher's throw.   But he was also within easy reach of home plate.  On the other hand, the play had been made and the catcher was turning before he even started his slide.   So the slide was unnecessary and lends credence to the notion he was trying to interfere.    To me, 'dirty' means intent to injure.   I don't think he was trying to injure.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:28:14 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: May 29, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
Interference, yes.   'Dirty'.... meh.   He was clearly trying to disrupt the catcher's throw.   But he was also within easy reach of home plate.   To me, 'dirty' means intent to injure.   I don't think he was trying to injure.

I think anytime you take out a defenseless player from behind, it's questionable. He may not have been going in thinking "I'm going to hurt this guy," but it was a dangerous play nonetheless. There's always going to be some necessary danger involved when a guy is trying to bust up a double play, but what really stands out for me here is coming in at the back of a guy's leg.

I think Rizzo's reputation as a good guy is pushing the narrative in his favor here. I suspect the same play from, say, Chase Utley gets a different reaction.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: May 29, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
Interference, yes.   'Dirty'.... meh.   He was clearly trying to disrupt the catcher's throw.   But he was also within easy reach of home plate.  On the other hand, the play had been made and the catcher was turning before he even started his slide.   So the slide was unnecessary and lends credence to the notion he was trying to interfere.    To me, 'dirty' means intent to injure.   I don't think he was trying to injure.

This is what did it for me.  The late slide, combined with running on the infield grass, combined with Diaz being outside the batters box.  Take any one of those out and it'd be more understandable.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: May 29, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: May 29, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Sounds like the umps were wrong to not call interference.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23642672/mlb-believes-anthony-rizzo-slide-vs-pittsburgh-pirates-was-interference

That's the weakest way to come out and say that. Just one step removed from MLB tweeting "People are saying Rizzo's slide was TOTALLY illegal. We'll see!"

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1065 on: May 29, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
That's the weakest way to come out and say that. Just one step removed from MLB tweeting "People are saying Rizzo's slide was TOTALLY illegal. We'll see!"

@TheoEpstein - "Repulsive Rob Manfred can't even keep his own rules straight!"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: May 29, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
Where is the catcher standing? Did he tag home and move in front of the plate such that breaking up the play requires the runner to deviate from the direct path to home plate and take said catcher out from behind?

Sounds like you're taking Option #2.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: May 29, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
I think they'll be very active in conversations, but I think they wait until they have all available information before deciding to pull the trigger. I'm not sure they actually do - there are other spots I'd rather take a flier on. They'll see where they are with injuries - specifically Jimmy, but certainly others that come up. I also think they dip their pool in the middle infielder market (gee, wouldn't it be nice to have Scooter Gennett right now?). If healthy, Jimmy is as good a mid-season acquisition as you can hope for.

I also don't know that there's a top of the line guy available, and projecting that is made more difficult since the NL is such a logjam. You look at the guys that moved this offseason, and perhaps only Odorizzi has met or exceeded expectations, and he's certainly no ace. My best guess on who's available, and it's a whole lot of 'meh' if I'm the Brewers.
1. Cole Hamels - Stats look good on Memorial Day, but advanced stats suggest it's not sustainable.
2. Chris Archer - Rays asking a lot (weird given how they mailed it in on their other trades), sports a high 3s FIP. Teammate Snell also a possibility, but have to think they see him as part of the rebuild.
3. Pat Corbin - Could be a great rental candidate for the right team (not Milwaukee)
4. J.A. Happ/Stroman - Happ would be a cheaper rental. Stroman looked REALLY good coming into this year, but the wheels have fallen off. Stats aren't as bad as ERA makes it look.
5. Tyson Ross - another loaner who will cash in in UFA

If those are my options, I'd almost rather go for one more dominant reliever or sit tight. Bummer that the Reds wouldn't trade Iglesias within the division...

Don't forget James Shields! 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: May 29, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
Don't forget James Shields!

You kid (I think), but Big Game James has pitched very well this month.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: May 29, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »

Shields for Juan Soto. Hahn hasn't fleeced the Nats in a couple of months, seems due.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: May 29, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

He sure has.  I hope he is pitching himself onto trading radars. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1071 on: May 29, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Shields for Juan Soto. Hahn hasn't fleeced the Nats in a couple of months, seems due.

Since he stole" Giolito?  ;)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »
Even if Giolito is a bust, Lopez looks good and Dunning is progressing nicely.  Without Giolito they could still have gotten 2 MLB pitchers.  And Eaton has played what, 39 games for the Nats?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: May 29, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »

or

I've seen a torn achilles up close and personal.  It is not enjoyable.  I'll take option #2.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1074 on: May 30, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
For those saying Joe would be angry if that happened to his team, the Pirates just slid past second base leading to the benches emptying.

It likely would have resulted in a double play if he challenged, however, he did not.

Like Maddon, I don’t like the rule either, however, I still would have challenged to give my team the advantage.

feedback