'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OCD overcomes social experiment  (Read 7846 times)

tower912

• All American
OCD overcomes social experiment
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
1.  Bigger, older, deeper, better.
2.  Marshall is still a tool.
3. Third leg taken away from the tripod.  No Sam, no good.
4.  Small shooters get tired.  Nothing fell.  Only way to win today was to make it rain 3s.
5. The back to back blocks against Sacar was when I knew.
6.  Needed more from the frosh today.  Which may bite MU tomorrow.
7.  That is a complete team.
8.  Next.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:45:59 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: OCD overcomes social experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:44:23 PM »
1.  Bigger, older, deeper, better.
2.  Marshall is still a tool.
3. Third leg taken away from the tripod.  No Sam, no good.
4.  Small shooters get tired.  Nothing fell.  Only way to win today was to make it rain 3s.
5. The back to back blocks against Sacar us when I knew.
6.  Needed more from the frosh today.  Which may bite MU tomorrow.
7.  That is a complete team.
8.  Next.

add to number 1. They are much stronger.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
To beat a team like that each of the big 3 needs to show up and shots need to fall.  Obviously that didn't happen.  We took some bad shots for a stretch after we had tied it up in the 2nd half and couldn't recover from there.

Not disappointed at all with the effort.  Get a win tomorrow and it will be a successful trip, IMO. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Again, there is just zero interior scoring via either the drive or the post up.  Jump shooting teams can really only go so far. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »
Hard to win games when two players take 40 of the 61 shots taken and score 51 of the 66 points (77%).  No one else hit really anything, so those two kept shooting, guess only option.

Key point of game when tied at 45 and MU had ball.  Took like 6 threes in a row and missed all of them.

A lot of layups made by WSU, blocks on MU layup attempts and that 3 pointer by Frankamp was big when MU making little run.   

Good news, MU had no turnovers in second half, yet still got spanked. 

When others step up, like Hauser/Cheatham yesterday, MU has a chance.  Need others to help out, especially Heldt, who in two losses has two points, both at free throw line.  Gonna be tough to win in BE. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
This is my favorite Wojo-era team
No Finish Line

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Hard to win games when two players take 40 of the 61 shots taken and score 51 of the 66 points (77%).  No one else hit really anything, so those two kept shooting, guess only option.

Key point of game when tied at 45 and MU had ball.  Took like 6 threes in a row and missed all of them.

A lot of layups made by WSU, blocks on MU layup attempts and that 3 pointer by Frankamp was big when MU making little run.   

Good news, MU had no turnovers in second half, yet still got spanked. 

When others step up, like Hauser/Cheatham yesterday, MU has a chance.  Need others to help out, especially Heldt, who in two losses has two points, both at free throw line.  Gonna be tough to win in BE.

The Big East is going to be tough to win in regardless but WSU and Purdue are two excellent senior-laden teams with size and depth. 

Shark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
The Big East is going to be tough to win in regardless but WSU and Purdue are two excellent senior-laden teams with size and depth.

Exactly. And it sucks we play the most veteran teams in the beginning of the year. Oh well, win tomorrow and it'll be all good.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Exactly. And it sucks we play the most veteran teams in the beginning of the year. Oh well, win tomorrow and it'll be all good.

As Bilas said on the broadcast, I think Purdue is underrated right now.  I don't think playing this kind of competition early necessarily hurts.  Obviously wins would be a bonus but I think it's good for the young guys to see that level of competition early. 

If Sam has a typical Sam game we still may not win but the game ends up being a lot tighter.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's his worst game of the year. 

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
This is my favorite Wojo-era team

This team has the hallmarks of a top 50 team. Maybe 2018/19 MU will be a top 25 team, but
this one is OK. I, too, like them much more than previous Wojo teams.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
The guys are fun as hell to watch, and they play hard. Not much else to ask for, some days you are gonna lose games based on sheer talent of the opponent. All the pundits couldnt stop talking about how many pro-players WSU had.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
Every game is a test. Every setback is an opportunity to honestly assess your mindset, your preparation, your game plan, and your performance — with the focus on what's ahead, getting better for the next game.

That doesn't make a loss any easier to swallow. Marquette hung with Wichita State, but ultimately fell short. I expect this team will get better this season. But there will be more hard lessons to learn along the way.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »
Sammy's 3 quick fouls made this an extreme uphill battle.  When the shots stopped falling and we started to chuck, the writing was on the wall.

Tomorrow's important.  No head hanging.  We need to go out there with a purpose and beat a team (likely LSU) that we need to beat.  If so, successful trip prior to some tasty cupcake eating.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »
Yes 2/3 and a success.
ND would be tough. Do we want them or LSU?

Not pie-in-the-sky to hope for some overachieving this year. 4th/5th BE. Tourney and a RD1 upset win?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »
One thing Wojo has not done a good job in recruiting is getting length and defense for players who are not scorers.  Rowsey, Howard, Hauser, and to some degree Cheatham can score so if their length and defense lacks it is okay.  Btw,  relatively happy with Hauser and Cheatham's length and defense.

Other than Heldt and John,  none of the "non-scorers" have enough length and defense.  Too many players are not adding enough offense to offset their defense.  I understand a lot of this group is young but that is on Wojo.  He has had the reins long enough that the non-scorers should be able to provide an advantage on the defensive end.

Hopefully with another year of seasoning the younger crop will improve both offensively and defensively.  Problem is we will lose a 20 point scorer per game in Rowsey. Joey Hauser and Bailey are going to be needed to score a lot right away.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
One thing Wojo has not done a good job in recruiting is getting length and defense for players who are not scorers.  Rowsey, Howard, Hauser, and to some degree Cheatham can score so if their length and defense lacks it is okay.  Btw,  relatively happy with Hauser and Cheatham's length and defense.

Other than Heldt and John,  none of the "non-scorers" have enough length and defense.  Too many players are not adding enough offense to offset their defense.  I understand a lot of this group is young but that is on Wojo.  He has had the reins long enough that the non-scorers should be able to provide an advantage on the defensive end.

Hopefully with another year of seasoning the younger crop will improve both offensively and defensively.  Problem is we will lose a 20 point scorer per game in Rowsey. Joey Hauser and Bailey are going to be needed to score a lot right away.

I would almost garauntee that Morrow in combination with Joey and Bailey will offset Rowsey.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
I would almost garauntee that Morrow in combination with Joey and Bailey will offset Rowsey.

Totally forgot Morrow.  That will make a HUGE difference.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
As Bilas said on the broadcast, I think Purdue is underrated right now.  I don't think playing this kind of competition early necessarily hurts.  Obviously wins would be a bonus but I think it's good for the young guys to see that level of competition early. 

If Sam has a typical Sam game we still may not win but the game ends up being a lot tighter.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's his worst game of the year.

Sam has had these kinds of games before.

People are overrating his talent level and expecting way too much from him..

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
24 hours earlier, he put up 20/9.  Foul trouble got him today.  He will be fresher for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:37:50 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
4 games into his sophomore year we still haven't seen Sam's ceiling.  I think it is high but the consistency is not there yet.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »

Of course he has but I expect a game like today to be an outlier moving forward.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »

How are you guys handling the Herro decommit?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
We lost to the 6th ranked team in the country.

Shocker.
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
Sams three fouls took him out of the game in the first half.  The third foul was partly Wojos fault and partly sam( just get out of the way!!).  However, he needs to be mentally tougher, one bad half cannit translate into another.  Only a sophomire so its more understandable but a good/great pkayer has to bounce back from that first half, it appeared to mentally take him out of the game.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
We lost to the 6th ranked team in the country.

Shocker.
Shockers.