collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 279895 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
How many more times will McCarthy give away free points right before halftime? He has done it two games in a row now. Eventually it will cause a loss.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
How many more times will McCarthy give away free points right before halftime? He has done it two games in a row now. Eventually it will cause a loss.

I understand the first game, but what exactly did he do last night?  He had the ball with 1:00 to go and three timeouts.  And if it weren't for a bad call, would have had the ball at about midfield.

You want him to sit on the ball there?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #352 on: September 18, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
I understand what you are saying, but I just don't know what they are supposed to do. 

I don't know if anyone does, to be honest. It's definitely more of a personnel problem than a scheme issue.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #353 on: September 18, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

I understand the first game, but what exactly did he do last night?  He had the ball with 1:00 to go and three timeouts.  And if it weren't for a bad call, would have had the ball at about midfield.

You want him to sit on the ball there?

Yeah. Down two scores with all your timeouts left and Rodgers you better be trying to score there. It didn't work out but that wasn't a bad coaching decision.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #354 on: September 18, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Trubisky starting debut prediction:  October 9th (week 5) vs. the Vikings.  Monday Night Football at Soldier Field.  Reasons why:

-Fox has already said he is not starting this week
-They will not start him week 4 against Green Bay on the road with only a few days to prep (Thursday night game)
-The Bears will likely be 0-4 by this point
-Going from a Thursday night game to a Monday night games gives him extra preparation time. 
-The fan base is already disgusted so starting him will certainly help with optics (and actually give them a better chance to win)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
I think the Packers D played well enough against Atlanta especially given the injuries that piled up. It's an annoying loss, but overall I think this team is better this year than last year (excepting for injuries). The Bengals and Bears are both terrible so the next two games should allow this team to get healthier and better so no need to panic. Looking at the schedule and the first two weeks of games, I think Green Bay goes into the bye at least 5-2 which is just fine by me.

One thing I will say, I never want to go to Bellin Healthcare, cause clearly they can't prevent or effectively treat injuries. How are the Packers the most injured team in the league year after year??? What in the holy hell are the S&C and medical teams doing up there, sitting around playing sheepshead??? If we get one more hamstring injury I'm just gonna snap.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
Trubisky starting debut prediction:  October 9th (week 5) vs. the Vikings.  Monday Night Football at Soldier Field.  Reasons why:

-They will not start him week 4 against Green Bay on the road with only a few days to prep (Thursday night game)
-Going from a Thursday night game to a Monday night games gives him extra preparation time. 
-The fan base is already disgusted so starting him will certainly help with optics (and actually give them a better chance to win)

I think there's a chance that Trubisky starts this week. I know what Fox said postgame, but after reviewing the tape and talking it over internally, I could see his stance changing. If not this Sunday, I agree week 5 against the Vikes.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #357 on: September 18, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
I think there's a chance that Trubisky starts this week. I know what Fox said postgame, but after reviewing the tape and talking it over internally, I could see his stance changing. If not this Sunday, I agree week 5 against the Vikes.

That's the popular prediction. However, you also have to look ahead. After MNF against Minnesota, the Bears have a short week that ends with them playing in Baltimore then they come home to face Carolina. You really want your franchise QB to face those defenses with a battered o-line and no WRs? The team's going no where this season. Why rush it?

Barring injury, I don't think Trubisky starts any earlier than November 12 at New Orleans (at which point the Bears could easily be 0-7). He goes on the road without hoopla and then comes back off a bye to play GB and Detroit at home. Glennon was awful yesterday but he's likely to play more like he did against Atlanta - safe and uninspiring. If the Bears can sneak a few unexpected wins (a big if), we may not see Trubisky until December 3 at home vs. San Francisco.

The Bears' last 5 games of the season are SF, @ Cin, @ Det, Cle, @ Min. I'd be shocked if Trubisky isn't the starter for all 5 of those games. Either because a) Glennon has actually played well and they've won some games or b) the team is sticking with Glennon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »
Bears zzzzzz.

Packers zzzzzz.

Panthers goin' back to the Super Bowl, baby! Couldn't get the ball in the end zone but still won behind our great D.

2-0 on the way to 12-4-ish.

We'll see the Bears on Oct. 22, and the Packers on Dec. 17. Prediction: Pain! (And not for my boyz.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
That's the popular prediction. However, you also have to look ahead. After MNF against Minnesota, the Bears have a short week that ends with them playing in Baltimore then they come home to face Carolina. You really want your franchise QB to face those defenses with a battered o-line and no WRs? The team's going no where this season. Why rush it?

Barring injury, I don't think Trubisky starts any earlier than November 12 at New Orleans (at which point the Bears could easily be 0-7). He goes on the road without hoopla and then comes back off a bye to play GB and Detroit at home. Glennon was awful yesterday but he's likely to play more like he did against Atlanta - safe and uninspiring. If the Bears can sneak a few unexpected wins (a big if), we may not see Trubisky until December 3 at home vs. San Francisco.

The Bears' last 5 games of the season are SF, @ Cin, @ Det, Cle, @ Min. I'd be shocked if Trubisky isn't the starter for all 5 of those games. Either because a) Glennon has actually played well and they've won some games or b) the team is sticking with Glennon.

You may be right.  But if he's ready to play he should play, even in tough match-ups.  The more reps he can get the better.  If it's already a lost season and they don't think there is any more he can do to be ready, get him in there. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
I think the Packers D played well enough against Atlanta especially given the injuries that piled up. It's an annoying loss, but overall I think this team is better this year than last year (excepting for injuries). The Bengals and Bears are both terrible so the next two games should allow this team to get healthier and better so no need to panic. Looking at the schedule and the first two weeks of games, I think Green Bay goes into the bye at least 5-2 which is just fine by me.

One thing I will say, I never want to go to Bellin Healthcare, cause clearly they can't prevent or effectively treat injuries. How are the Packers the most injured team in the league year after year??? What in the holy hell are the S&C and medical teams doing up there, sitting around playing sheepshead??? If we get one more hamstring injury I'm just gonna snap.

Are they one of the more injured teams year after year?  According to this, they were about average last year.  And the year before, they actually were relatively healthy.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree. But I fear a David Carr-type situation. If the Bears are still beat up on the o-line, I'd hate to put Trubisky back there. Obviously, WR situation isn't going to change anytime soon. Hopefully, if o-line is healthy, coaching staff can put together a good gameplan to support Trubisky's growth/learning.

The only silver lining I can see is the example of Derek Carr. He had a crapty o-line and terrible WR and turned out okay.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Yeah. Down two scores with all your timeouts left and Rodgers you better be trying to score there. It didn't work out but that wasn't a bad coaching decision.

Not when you are starting from the 5 yard line. You are guaranteeing points to Atlanta if you don't get a 1st down. Maybe if they have Nelson, Baktiari and Bulaga, it is worth the gamble. Last night? Absolutely not. Just a stupid, stupid decision.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2017, 03:08:25 PM »

Are they one of the more injured teams year after year?  According to this, they were about average last year.  And the year before, they actually were relatively healthy.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

Maybe it just feels like they have it really bad because of the critical players/positions at which those injuries have occurred and lack of depth at those positions (truly TT's biggest sin)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »
Bears zzzzzz.

Packers zzzzzz.

Panthers goin' back to the Super Bowl, baby! Couldn't get the ball in the end zone but still won behind our great D.

We'll see the Bears on Oct. 22, and the Packers on Dec. 17. Prediction: Pain! (And not for my boyz.)

That's one powerful offense that got there...if you're a baseball team ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
Not when you are starting from the 5 yard line. You are guaranteeing points to Atlanta if you don't get a 1st down. Maybe if they have Nelson, Baktiari and Bulaga, it is worth the gamble. Last night? Absolutely not. Just a stupid, stupid decision.

So you'd sit on the ball when Atlanta still has two timeouts remaining?

Not a chance. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:26 PM »
Bears zzzzzz.

Packers zzzzzz.

With wins over the powerhouse Bills and 49ers, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm.
But, just in case, check back in week 8 after Kuechly suffers another season-ending injury, Cam is playing with his 13th undiagnosed concussion (he's fine) and Ron Rivera is back to doing Ron Rivera things.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
Bears zzzzzz.

Packers zzzzzz.

Yeah, beating the 49ers and Bills is impressive.

If they had played the Seahawks and Falcons like the Packers did, they'd be 0-2.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »
With wins over the powerhouse Bills and 49ers, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm.
But, just in case, check back in week 8 after Kuechly suffers another season-ending injury, Cam is playing with his 13th undiagnosed concussion (he's fine) and Ron Rivera is back to doing Ron Rivera things.

Never wish for injuries to athletes.

Rivera is a good coach. Not great, but solid, so I don't know why you'd suggest differently.

Bills have a nice defense. 49ers are awful ... but they only lost 12-9 on the road to a Seahawks team that GooooMarquette is painting as fearsome.

You can only play who is on your schedule. No apologies necessary. It will be fun to see how the Panthers do the next two weeks stepping up from Hoyer and Taylor to Brees and Brady the next 2 weeks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »

Rivera is a good coach. Not great, but solid, so I don't know why you'd suggest differently.

Bills have a nice defense. 49ers are awful ... but they only lost 12-9 on the road to a Seahawks team that GooooMarquette is painting as fearsome.

You can only play who is on your schedule. No apologies necessary. It will be fun to see how the Panthers do the next two weeks stepping up from Hoyer and Taylor to Brees and Brady the next 2 weeks.

Using the transitive property in sports is never a good idea. Otherwise we're going to say Tampa Bay is 22 points better than the Bears, who are 6 points worse than the Falcons, who are 11 points better than the Packers, who are 8 points better than the Seahawks. So if we're playing that game then the Bears are better than the Packers and Seahawks. And the Bucs are by far and away better than the Falcons, Packers, and Seahawks. Count me as skeptical on those.

Good defense or not, the Bills stink, the 49ers stink, and the Saints stink. Even with a fairly easy schedule, the Panthers are in the 8-8/9-7 territory.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
Good defense or not, the Bills stink, the 49ers stink, and the Saints stink. Even with a fairly easy schedule, the Panthers are in the 8-8/9-7 territory.

The beautiful thing is we won't have to wait long - only 3-4 months - to see if you are right!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2017, 05:18:55 AM »
I watched the second half of last nights MNF game between the Lions and Giants.    I had seen a play here and there during the first two weeks, but prior to last night I might have watched 5 minutes total in the first two weeks.     No wonder the ratings are down.    That was boring, bad football.   If that is indicative of how the rest of the league is playing, yeeesh.    Ugly. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
Teams treat the beginning of the year like the did the pre-season 20 years ago.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
I watched the second half of last nights MNF game between the Lions and Giants.    I had seen a play here and there during the first two weeks, but prior to last night I might have watched 5 minutes total in the first two weeks.     No wonder the ratings are down.    That was boring, bad football.   If that is indicative of how the rest of the league is playing, yeeesh.    Ugly.

I think people are just getting tired of bad football. I love to see a great defense on the field, but we see more inept offenses than good defenses.

GB did not play great defense to hold Seattle to 9 points. It was the terrible Seattle offense that held the Seahawks to 9 points. The same inept offense that could only score 12 points at home against SF. A good offense rolled through GB's defense at will on Sunday night. They could have scored 60 if they had to. The next juggernaut offense they play scores fewer points than a lot of soccer teams

The Giants have scored one TD in two games against two very, very average defenses. That is what is driving people away from the NFL.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #374 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »

I'm not wishing injuries on anyone. If that's how you read it, that wasn't my intention.
Rivera is a mediocre coach, at best. Four losing records in six seasons. Record of 20-23 in one-possession games.
Hard to say how good the Bills' defense is when you consider they've matched up against two of the most inept offenses in the league. Next two games are against Denver and Atlanta, so we'll see.

The Panthers don't need to apologize for their schedule, but fans probably shouldn't be crowing over a 2-0 mark given the quality of their opponents.