[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 275669 times)

GGGG

• All American
NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »
Mike Glennon throws a pick 6 on his first possession.  Cue the Trubisky era?

RJax55

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
It was a fitting start. Forget all the talk, Mitch will be starting sooner rather than later

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
It was a fitting start. Forget all the talk, Mitch will be starting sooner rather than later

9-9 out of the box so far.  Franchise Savior!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
9-9 out of the box so far.  Franchise Savior!

I'm sure Bears fans will be level-headed in their assessment. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
I'm sure Bears fans will be level-headed in their assessment.

Super Bowl bound! Glennon was awful though.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
Much better than him not playing well.

2nd round too early to take him in fantasy? ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
Obviously he's going to need a lot of time but I really liked his mobility and how often the play calling incorporated it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Dammit sultan. I got lazy. I think I had made this thread the last 2, maybe 3, years

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:44:02 PM »
I was more interested tonight in what Leonard Floyd did. If Trubisky had scored on that final possession, Bears Twitter and sports radio would have lost their collective minds.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:56 PM »
This was too perfect.  Mitch comes in, tears up a backup defense, gets every meatball Chicago fan riled up and excited, setting up for massive expectations only for him to go 11 for 30 in the opener or whenever his first start is.

Oh, and despite all his good play, the defense still gives up a 40 yard rushing TD on 3rd and 22 outside of FG range.  Bears gonna Bear.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:28 AM »
OK, Trubisky showed some promise.

But before Bear fans start saving for their Super Bowl tickets, keep in mind he was playing against personnel on the Bronco defense not likely to be part of Bronco defense four weeks from now. Also, the defensive schemes that Trubisky saw were simplistic and not what a quarterback is likely to see on game day in early September.

I guess when your team is coming off a 3-13 season, last night was encouraging. But sadly, Glennon is the "answer" for the Bears this year. The Bears probably would win more with Mark Sanchez at quarterback than they would with either Glennon or Trubisky.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
But before Bear fans start saving for their Super Bowl tickets, keep in mind he was playing against personnel on the Bronco defense not likely to be part of Bronco defense four weeks from now. Also, the defensive schemes that Trubisky saw were simplistic and not what a quarterback is likely to see on game day in early September.

I guess when your team is coming off a 3-13 season, last night was encouraging. But sadly, Glennon is the "answer" for the Bears this year. The Bears probably would win more with Mark Sanchez at quarterback than they would with either Glennon or Trubisky.

Ever Bears fan that posts here knows this. But, thanks for the tip.

And, yes, the Bears will be bad this season. But, in no way would they win more with Mark Sanchez.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »

Often, but not always, the best way to ruin a young QB is to throw him out there and let him get killed.  The Bears have real money committed to Glennon.  He's not the future but he might very well be the present.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
I was more interested tonight in what Leonard Floyd did.

Floyd's development is a key piece in this rebuild. He's the one guy on defense that has the chance to a real play-maker. Someone that O-coordinators have to scheme for.

I wish the Bears had another young athlete on the outside to develop with him. I still think they have hope that Pernell McPhee can be an impact player, but I think that ship has sailed.

Also, the DL looks to have much better depth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
Often, but not always, the best way to ruin a young QB is to throw him out there and let him get killed.  The Bears have real money committed to Glennon.  He's not the future but he might very well be the present.

Is it really that "often" though?  I think that's one of the most overplayed myths out there.  People always cite Rodgers as why QBs should sit a few years and "learn the ropes."  Aaron Rodgers is far more "exception" than he is "rule."  Aaron Rodgers wasn't sitting simply to "learn the ropes."  He was sitting because he had a top 5 all time quarterback playing at a high level in front of him.

By far the most important thing for the development of an athlete (in any sport) is game-like reps.  Quarterbacks in the NFL (quite literally) can't get touched in practices.  They wear a different colored jersey.  That's not overly "game like."  Sure they can improve their footwork and their accuracy and their arm strength.  But at the end of the day you need to get on the field and get game experience.

How many of today's successful QBs sat their entire rookie year vs. those who were starters before the end of their rookie season?

Brady sat his rookie year but he was also a 6th round draft choice who was far from guaranteed a roster spot to begin with and was behind a Pro Bowl quarterback.  Rodgers was behind a Hall of Fame quarterback.  Rivers was sitting behind a Hall of Fame quarterback.  Carson Palmer is a solid example of someone who sat a year before getting the starting nod.  Other than that?  Pretty much all of the successful starting quarterbacks in the league right now were starting before the end of their rookie year.  Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Ben Rothlisberger, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota, Dak Prescott, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wenz, Joe Flacco, etc.  They were all starters within their rookie year.  And I doubt Rodgers or Brady would be much worse today had they started by the end of year one, they just happened to have really dang good quarterbacks already on the roster.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:14:40 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »
Good breakdown wades.

Glennon's contract is basically a one-year deal.  Yeah a lot is guaranteed in that one year, but if Trubisky is the future, he will be starting by the end of the year and Glennon will be gone by the off-season.  (And I think that is exactly what is going to happen.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
Is it really that "often" though?  I think that's one of the most overplayed myths out there.  People always cite Rodgers as why QBs should sit a few years and "learn the ropes."  Aaron Rodgers is far more "exception" than he is "rule."  Aaron Rodgers wasn't sitting simply to "learn the ropes."  He was sitting because he had a top 5 all time quarterback playing at a high level in front of him.

By far the most important thing for the development of an athlete (in any sport) is game-like reps.  Quarterbacks in the NFL (quite literally) can't get touched in practices.  They wear a different colored jersey.  That's not overly "game like."  Sure they can improve their footwork and their accuracy and their arm strength.  But at the end of the day you need to get on the field and get game experience.

How many of today's successful QBs sat their entire rookie year vs. those who were starters before the end of their rookie season?

Brady sat his rookie year but he was also a 6th round draft choice who was far from guaranteed a roster spot to begin with and was behind a Pro Bowl quarterback.  Rodgers was behind a Hall of Fame quarterback.  Rivers was sitting behind a Hall of Fame quarterback.  Carson Palmer is a solid example of someone who sat a year before getting the starting nod.  Other than that?  Pretty much all of the successful starting quarterbacks in the league right now were starting before the end of their rookie year.  Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Ben Rothlisberger, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota, Dak Prescott, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wenz, Joe Flacco, etc.  They were all starters within their rookie year.  And I doubt Rodgers or Brady would be much worse today had they started by the end of year one, they just happened to have really dang good quarterbacks already on the roster.

I would personally say this depends entirely on the offensive line.  Getting your #2 overall draft pick crushed typically isn't in his interest.  I don't follow the Bears close enough to judge that.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
I would personally say this depends entirely on the offensive line.  Getting your #2 overall draft pick crushed typically isn't in his interest.  I don't follow the Bears close enough to judge that.

The Bears line should be solid, if healthy.  Not great but not a line where you need to worry about your QB getting hit consistently. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
  elliot gone-6 games without pay.  interested to see what vegas did with cowboys odds

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
  elliot gone-6 games without pay.  interested to see what vegas did with cowboys odds

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games

some of those close to him say they were getting a little nervous of his off field behavior.  fortunately the girl wasn't injured too bad (as far as i know), but hopefully this will save elliot from repeating this behavior as well as any other bad decisions.  it sure is going to be expensive~$240k per game? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
some of those close to him say they were getting a little nervous of his off field behavior.  fortunately the girl wasn't injured too bad (as far as i know), but hopefully this will save elliot from repeating this behavior as well as any other bad decisions.  it sure is going to be expensive~$240k per game? 

Fortunately?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »

People gonna be as outraged over this compared to a guy protesting a real problem in the US by kneeling during the anthem?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

You're right, wades, things have changed in this situation. Most top rookie QBs start right away. Sink or swim.

Cam was mediocre during the exhibition season when he came in as a rookie. Once the regular season arrived, he passed for 400 yards in both the opener and the second game.

Interestingly, those are STILL his two high-yardage games even though he has become a much better all-around QB.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Fortunately?

does everything have to be picked apart?  YES!! FORTUNATELY!!  i can't imagine if i said she must not have been beaten bad enough because she was still able to talk.  come on man!  to the best of my knowledge, she is ok, physically.  mentally, i'm sure it was a horrendous experience.  possibly and once again UNfortunately, elliot may have acted upon her more than once.  is dear God i hope i was clear here and the door wasn't open for a fill in the blank "beat down"

if i over reacted here, i apologize, but...

feedback