collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 275722 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #2375 on: February 08, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
$90M guaranteed for Jimmy G!

The only person happier than him might be Kirk Cousins.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2376 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »
And Aaron Rodgers. Reason why Aaron isn't in a huge rush.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2377 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »
$90M guaranteed for Jimmy G!

The only person happier than him might be Kirk Cousins.

27.4 million a year.  I mean Garafalo did a nice job winning five games, but that’s ridiculous. The money being thrown around sports has reached a pinnacle.  Will Cousins now look at 30 million and above, he has to.  If Redskins had tagged him, it would be 34 million a year.  Jeez, Lebron makes 33 million a year. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2378 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
27.4 million a year.  I mean Garafalo did a nice job winning five games, but that’s ridiculous. The money being thrown around sports has reached a pinnacle. Will Cousins now look at 30 million and above, he has to.  If Redskins had tagged him, it would be 34 million a year.  Jeez, Lebron makes 33 million a year.

People have literally been saying that for 30 years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2379 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »
Within a couple years, Stafford will look like a bargain.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2380 on: February 08, 2018, 03:11:33 PM »

People have literally been saying that for 30 years.

Yeah, guess you’re right, but when they give that money to a QB who has started like 8 games, it’s on the verge of lunacy, and that’s just the NFL.  NBA, MLB are just as bad.  Hope they invest properly 💰💰💰💰

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2381 on: February 08, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
Yeah, guess you’re right, but when they give that money to a QB who has started like 8 games, it’s on the verge of lunacy, and that’s just the NFL.  NBA, MLB are just as bad.  Hope they invest properly 💰💰💰💰

If Jimmy is the long-term answer as a franchise QB for the 49ers, it's 100% sane.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2382 on: February 08, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I don't know what the real takeaway is, but its fascinating to compare and contrast NFL-MLB-NBA right now regarding salary cap structure, top-end contracts, and the relationship between the leagues and their respective players' unions. Given the money these sports make, its nearly impossible to both impose a salary cap and not artificially depress the biggest stars' paychecks. The NBA has gotten around this by just establishing a max deal, and it seems to have counterintuitively resulted in a pretty decent relationship between the league and the union. The NFL meanwhile, is seeing a greater % of teams payroll paid to the players that take the least physical punishment, which seems at some point to be untenable. And baseball is close to open rebellion as owners are afraid to hand out traditionally-gigantic deals as the new luxury tax takes effect.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2383 on: February 08, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
If Jimmy is the long-term answer as a franchise QB for the 49ers, it's 100% sane.

Like you said, “If”.  Just read article on ESPN, said he has started seven games in the NFL, but “if”, he succeeds, it will be a bargain according to them.

Matt Ryan, Rogers next year, Cousins this year, and I believe Russell Wilson in two.  All will get significant more than Garafalo. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2384 on: February 08, 2018, 04:25:49 PM »
What can Foles command in an extension if traded?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2385 on: February 08, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
What can Foles command in an extension if traded?

Nothing. He is under contract for 4 more years I think.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2386 on: February 08, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »
Nothing. He is under contract for 4 more years I think.

One more year.
His value will never be greater for the Eagles. Deal him now for a decent return (see what the Chefs got for Alex Smith?) or watch him walk next year and maybe get a compensatory pick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2387 on: February 08, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »
The money being thrown around sports has reached a pinnacle.

True story:

When I was a teenager in 1974, Catfish Hunter became a free agent due to a technicality and signed a 5-year, $3.75 million deal. A year later, Andy Messersmith became a free agent. It was a huge story, because until then players were stuck with a team for life due to the "reserve clause." He signed a 3-year, $1 million contract with Atlanta.

After Messersmith got his deal, I wrote an article for my high school newspaper declaring that salaries couldn't possibly get higher - although if they somehow did, it would make sports as we know them cease to exist.

Yes, I was an amazing prognosticator even back then!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2388 on: February 09, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »
One more year.
His value will never be greater for the Eagles. Deal him now for a decent return (see what the Chefs got for Alex Smith?) or watch him walk next year and maybe get a compensatory pick.

He signed a five year deal last year. He has a one-time opt out after two years.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2389 on: February 09, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
I preach this every year, no position in sports has compensation outliers than QB. Every year it gets reset, and it shouldn't surprise anyone when a QB resets the market. It only matters when your deal is up, I've advocated Rodgers should only ever sign one year, maybe two year deals.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2390 on: February 09, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
True story:

When I was a teenager in 1974, Catfish Hunter became a free agent due to a technicality and signed a 5-year, $3.75 million deal. A year later, Andy Messersmith became a free agent. It was a huge story, because until then players were stuck with a team for life due to the "reserve clause." He signed a 3-year, $1 million contract with Atlanta.

After Messersmith got his deal, I wrote an article for my high school newspaper declaring that salaries couldn't possibly get higher - although if they somehow did, it would make sports as we know them cease to exist.

In defense of high-school you:

1) Nobody could  have reasonably projected the escalation of television rights revenue and advertising revenue for major league sports teams. The salaries the  Fish and Messersmith settled for seem quaint by today's standards.

2) At the time, baseball lost the Messersmith and McNally decisions because of a 1967 judicial ruling in which the reserve clause language was ruled that a one-year renewal could not be daisy-chained. Rick Barry got free agency that way. McNally was washed up by the time he challenged and won a reserve clause settlement and Messersmith was angry at Al Campanis and Walter O'Malley of the Dodgers for reasons never disclosed. Message: good lawyers and raw emotion are key drivers in sports.

3) We speculate that revenues could never go higher, but then they do. We have a terminal addiction to spectator sports in this country. It allows for Wisconsin to have built three new stadiums (Green Bay might as well be, plus Miller Park and Warrior Arena downtown) and for absurd amounts of dollars to be poured into sports infrastructure. I could go on about this forever,  but suffice to say the revenues will go up as long as we buy endorsed products and the  marketing gurus can demonstrate that purchase decisions because Louie Looney, star stud for the local professional team, told us to! How many of you took out a State Farm insurance policy because Aaron Rodgers and his dog endorsed it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2391 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
In defense of high-school you:

1) Nobody could  have reasonably projected the escalation of television rights revenue and advertising revenue for major league sports teams. The salaries the  Fish and Messersmith settled for seem quaint by today's standards.

2) At the time, baseball lost the Messersmith and McNally decisions because of a 1967 judicial ruling in which the reserve clause language was ruled that a one-year renewal could not be daisy-chained. Rick Barry got free agency that way. McNally was washed up by the time he challenged and won a reserve clause settlement and Messersmith was angry at Al Campanis and Walter O'Malley of the Dodgers for reasons never disclosed. Message: good lawyers and raw emotion are key drivers in sports.

3) We speculate that revenues could never go higher, but then they do. We have a terminal addiction to spectator sports in this country. It allows for Wisconsin to have built three new stadiums (Green Bay might as well be, plus Miller Park and Warrior Arena downtown) and for absurd amounts of dollars to be poured into sports infrastructure. I could go on about this forever,  but suffice to say the revenues will go up as long as we buy endorsed products and the  marketing gurus can demonstrate that purchase decisions because Louie Looney, star stud for the local professional team, told us to! How many of you took out a State Farm insurance policy because Aaron Rodgers and his dog endorsed it?

I appreciate the defense, counselor! The retainer is in the mail. (Of course, it is the retainer I wore in 1974; still some vintage drool on it!)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2392 on: February 09, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »
True story:

Bye APPL, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2393 on: February 09, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
I appreciate the defense, counselor! The retainer is in the mail. (Of course, it is the retainer I wore in 1974; still some vintage drool on it!)

Perhaps there is some valuable DNA that may be harvested from the drool for bioscience companies! Could make me millions LOL!!!!

Never thought that would be coming in 1974 either!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2394 on: February 09, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
True story:

You should invest in Bitcoin right now  :P

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2395 on: February 09, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
True story:

And yet, the MLB HOF still affords you a vote.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2396 on: February 09, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »
And yet, the MLB HOF still affords you a vote.

I tried to cast a vote for Wayne Garland but I was told he was no longer Hall eligible.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2397 on: February 26, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »
Looks like Jerry's palace coup continues to blow up in his face.

With the support of many N.F.L. owners, Commissioner Roger Goodell is prepared to escalate his public feud with Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and long one of the most influential people in the league, by fining him millions of dollars for his efforts to derail negotiations to renew Goodell’s contract and for his outspoken defense of a star player who was suspended, according to five league officials with direct knowledge of the situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/sports/football/roger-goodell-jerry-jones-nfl.html

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2398 on: February 26, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
I tried to cast a vote for Wayne Garland but I was told he was no longer Hall eligible.

You just loved it when he had the perm.

#HairJealously

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2399 on: March 01, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
So much for the NFL hurting the pizza business.

https://twitter.com/austinkarp/status/968816800287875074?s=21