[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893850 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: NM
« Reply #6850 on: July 11, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »
This reminds me .. My first apartment was on the 2nd floor and had a balcony.  I had the newspaper delivered and they'd drop it in the public foyer.   One time, I asked them if instead of doing that, they could fling it up to my balcony, which was right by the foyer.  Sure, they said.

This went OK for months and saved time for both them and me.   Later, I got a call from the delivery manager who said they were only going to try flinging it one time from now on. (??)

Why?  "Well, the gal who flings it up there was accosted by a naked man."  Oh, that's terrible (it wasn't me.  For reals.) 

"Yeah, as she tried to fling it up to your balcony, this naked man was lurking and said something like 'I want to be your slave.'"

I thought about that, and said "Well .. if you're going to be accosted by a naked man, one who wants to be your slave is probably the best kind to be accosted by.  -- I mean, you could just say, 'drop and give me 1000 pushups' and then walk away."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6851 on: July 11, 2019, 08:04:59 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSnzrPjQrg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSnzrPjQrg</a>

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6852 on: July 11, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Oh this reminds me of another thing I don't get - the Zucker Brothers.  Jerry's Wisconsin tourism ads were embarrassingly dumb.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6853 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
This reminds me .. My first apartment was on the 2nd floor and had a balcony.  I had the newspaper delivered and they'd drop it in the public foyer.   One time, I asked them if instead of doing that, they could fling it up to my balcony, which was right by the foyer.  Sure, they said.

This went OK for months and saved time for both them and me.   Later, I got a call from the delivery manager who said they were only going to try flinging it one time from now on. (??)

Why?  "Well, the gal who flings it up there was accosted by a naked man."  Oh, that's terrible (it wasn't me.  For reals.) 

"Yeah, as she tried to fling it up to your balcony, this naked man was lurking and said something like 'I want to be your slave.'"

I thought about that, and said "Well .. if you're going to be accosted by a naked man, one who wants to be your slave is probably the best kind to be accosted by.  -- I mean, you could just say, 'drop and give me 1000 pushups' and then walk away."

Ah the quaint old days of newspaper subscriptions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6854 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »

I still get the MJS, delivered 7 days a week.   You're welcome.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6855 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »

Speaking of which...are there still places where teenage kids on bikes (or...gasp...on foot) still deliver local papers?

Here in Rochester, the local newspaper (and I use that term loosely for our local paper) is delivered by middle aged men driving around in beat up cars. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against underemployed middle-aged people getting opportunities - but I miss the days of seeing a kid walking papers around the neighborhood.

Or maybe it's just that I'm old....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6856 on: July 11, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »

Speaking of which...are there still places where teenage kids on bikes (or...gasp...on foot) still deliver local papers?

I think bike delivery is gone because you are no longer delivering 20-30 papers per block, now you're delivering 1-2 papers/block and driving 3 blocks to get to the next drop.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6857 on: July 11, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »

I just renewed my 7 day/week Charlotte Observer subscription.

I consider it the most important "charity" to which I contribute.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6858 on: July 11, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »

Can I have your old newspapers to use in my chimney starter? Its getting harder to find combustibles for it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6859 on: July 11, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Can I have your old newspapers to use in my chimney starter? Its getting harder to find combustibles for it.

You still start real fires?!?  What’s wrong with a video?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6860 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »

Do you still walk naked to the end of your driveway to retrieve it?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #6861 on: July 11, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »

In the small amount of time it took me to read this, I assumed you were going to promote gas or even electric fireplaces over real.  I was gearing up for a fight.  Then saw where you went. 

I figure this is either sarcasm, or you have the below video on loop for the holidays.  It's cool with me either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StgHl92v5Q

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6862 on: July 11, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »

I tried starting our fire with a video, but it was tough to get it lit and it made the house smell funny.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6863 on: July 11, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »
Do you still walk naked to the end of your driveway to retrieve it?

I had to stop once I became an elected official.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6864 on: July 11, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »

Chimney starter:

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6865 on: July 11, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
Chimney starter:

Yep, those are fantastic.  The Weber Lighter Cubes are also good; I use them with the chimney.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6866 on: July 11, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
Yep, those are fantastic.  The Weber Lighter Cubes are also good; I use them with the chimney.

but I can't find old newspapers - everyone I know that subscribed to the JS, myself included, no longer does. P&S and Menards flyers in the mail aren't enough when I'm grilling 4-5 days/week.  >:(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6867 on: July 11, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »
In the small amount of time it took me to read this, I assumed you were going to promote gas or even electric fireplaces over real.  I was gearing up for a fight.  Then saw where you went. 

I figure this is either sarcasm, or you have the below video on loop for the holidays.  It's cool with me either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StgHl92v5Q

Fires just don’t do it for me. Gas, electric, wood, it doesn’t matter. If I ever need a quick fix, I suppose I could stare at the stove burner for a while...but that still hasn’t happened in 57 years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6868 on: July 11, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
but I can't find old newspapers - everyone I know that subscribed to the JS, myself included, no longer does. P&S and Menards flyers in the mail aren't enough when I'm grilling 4-5 days/week.  >:(

I was having the same issue.  We'd grab a bunch of ads at the grocery store, but that was a hassle and we were always running out.  I tried the cubes and they're so easy I haven't looked back.  Honestly, one does the trick...two if you want to be aggressive.  Very, very simple.  And they're pretty cheap.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6869 on: July 11, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
I was having the same issue.  We'd grab a bunch of ads at the grocery store, but that was a hassle and we were always running out.  I tried the cubes and they're so easy I haven't looked back.  Honestly, one does the trick...two if you want to be aggressive.  Very, very simple.  And they're pretty cheap.

Thanks for that, I had not seen those before.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6870 on: July 11, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »
Thanks for that, I had not seen those before.

On Amazon, they show people using 2-3.  I don't see much point of that.  I usually just pop one out, put it on the grate, light it, and set the charcoal-filled chimney on top of it.  Done.  They work great in the fire pit too.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6871 on: July 12, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »

Did she start to fling it from further away...like far enough away to launch it through your patio door? Did she miss often on the first try after that?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6872 on: July 12, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
I had to stop once I became an elected official.

MUScoop mods aren't elected.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6873 on: July 12, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »
MUScoop mods aren't elected.

Or official.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6874 on: July 12, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »
  yous guys forget about boy scout water?
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback