[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1938101 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: NM
« Reply #6575 on: May 31, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
So the top 10% of drinkers drink more in a week than the remaining 90%. So, the alcohol industry is primarily funded by alcoholics right? I don't see another way those numbers could be interpreted.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6576 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »

I have a feeling these aren't the kind of people you'd see functioning in any significant way. In fact, you might not see them at all, since they're probably laying on their couches most of the time with empty beer cans scattered around them....

Goooo,

I worked on the floor of the CBOE for 30 years and knew plenty of guys who would have been over 73.85 before the weekend even started. They showed up every day for work and would have to be classified as high functioning.

Some quit. Some are dead. A very few "slowed down". Like great athletes they were only able to put up "big numbers" for a limited amount of time. Nobody stays in their prime for long.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6577 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
OK, lets argue you can drink 5 per day and 25 on Sat (!!!), that's still ~8 per day not counting Sat.  Realistically, lets say you can handle 15 both weekend days (30 total), you *only* need 8/day for the weekdays.  I have a hard time figuring out how 10% of society is doing this.  I drink plenty, but these numbers don't seem right.  At least not in a "functioning" kind of way.  Or financial for that matter...

I was talking about college. Zero chance I could drink like that now.

On a similar note, last year when I got my physical the doctor asked how much I drink and I told him just on the weekends. He pressed harder for a number and I told him when I drink/go out it’s probably 10 in a day/night (thought I was low balling him). The doctor stopped dead in his tracks and couldn’t believe it. Told me it was “excessive”.

About a week later I was at a bar bullish!ting with the guy who ended up being the head liver doctor in the Henry Ford medical practice in Detroit. I told him the story and he told me the magic number is 28 a week. Doesn’t matter how you cut it: 4 a day, 28 on Saturday, doesn’t matter. That’s the magic number.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:49:40 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6578 on: May 31, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
So the top 10% of drinkers drink more in a week than the remaining 90%. So, the alcohol industry is primarily funded by alcoholics right? I don't see another way those numbers could be interpreted.

As a proven mathematical theorem, 30% of your brand users consume 70% of your product (known falsely as the 80/20 rule, it’s really 70/30). In this case it’s about 93%.  This is the result of two things: The drunks and the 30% non-drinkers (Mormons, Muslims, Born Againers).

The reported usage of the Top 10% of drinkers is pretty incredible, but the fact that 30% of adults who claim that they don’t partake is maybe just as incredible. As someone in the medical field told me, if you say that you have 2-3 drinks per week, doctors will multiple that by a factor of three. My elderly mom even has a drink a day.

Here is consumption by state. Northern and rural or tourist destinations.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:22:07 PM by mu_hilltopper »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6579 on: May 31, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
OK, lets argue you can drink 5 per day and 25 on Sat (!!!), that's still ~8 per day not counting Sat.  Realistically, lets say you can handle 15 both weekend days (30 total), you *only* need 8/day for the weekdays.  I have a hard time figuring out how 10% of society is doing this.  I drink plenty, but these numbers don't seem right.  At least not in a "functioning" kind of way.  Or financial for that matter...

There was a Nobel prize winner who used to have a requirement of an entire bottle of scotch at the podium for any talk he would give.

He would finish the entire bottle of scotch within a 1.5-2 hr lecture. That is 25 shots. He would then go out and drink with everyone all night.

Absolutely brilliant man, but would put these average numbers to shame. He probably drank a minimum of 30 drinks a day.

He did die quite young though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:04:29 PM by forgetful »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6580 on: May 31, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »
[In walks Norm Peterson.]

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6581 on: May 31, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
[In walks Norm Peterson.]

Norm!  How's life treating you?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6582 on: May 31, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
Like it caught me sleeping with its wife.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6583 on: May 31, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6584 on: May 31, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"
"A little early, isn't it, Woody?"
"For a beer?"
"No, for stupid questions."

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6585 on: May 31, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
The Cheers gang is watching the Miss America contest while Woody serves drinks.

Norm: Woody! Miss Indiana.

Woody: Aww, I did at first, but Boston is my home now.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6586 on: May 31, 2019, 05:12:07 PM »
What do you say to a cold one Mr Petersen?

See ya later Vera I’m going to Cheers. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6587 on: May 31, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
BTW that show perfected the use of the “cold open.”

https://youtu.be/GhBny671ZwE
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6588 on: May 31, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

I have a feeling these aren't the kind of people you'd see functioning in any significant way. In fact, you might not see them at all, since they're probably laying on their couches most of the time with empty beer cans scattered around them....

Unless you are some sort of savant, there is little chance you could drink at that level and still graduate on time.  And if you did, congratulations; you are what is called a functioning alcoholic.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6589 on: June 01, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
As a proven mathematical theorem, 30% of your brand users consume 70% of your product (known falsely as the 80/20 rule, it’s really 70/30). In this case it’s about 93%.  This is the result of two things: The drunks and the 30% non-drinkers (Mormons, Muslims, Born Againers).

The reported usage of the Top 10% of drinkers is pretty incredible, but the fact that 30% of adults who claim that they don’t partake is maybe just as incredible. As someone in the medical field told me, if you say that you have 2-3 drinks per week, doctors will multiple that by a factor of three. My elderly mom even has a drink a day.

Here is consumption by state. Northern and rural or tourist destinations.

gotta love these numbers-but awwcifer, all i had was one or two...people ALWAYS under "estimate" what they drink or admit to, unless it's a playboy magazine poll for the biggest party school in the world.  then everyone's an aka hawlic

always loved the term "binge" drinking.  why don't they just call it "guzzling" or doing shots, bobsledding, etc etc

"Unfortunately more than seven percent of the American population aged 18 and up have a drinking problem; this is nearly 13.8 million Americans, and 8.1 million of them are alcoholic. Based on these numbers, it is clear that alcoholism and alcohol abuse are serious problems that affect many people."

don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6590 on: June 01, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
Curious, what is the definition of a drink.  Is it a beer, a glass of wine, a martini, or a Manhattan?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6591 on: June 01, 2019, 09:26:29 PM »
Curious, what is the definition of a drink.  Is it a beer, a glass of wine, a martini, or a Manhattan?

12 oz beer, glass (5 oz.?) of wine, shot (1oz) of hard liquor. So a generous pour of wine might be 1.5 - 2 drinks and a heavy handed mixed drink might be 2-3.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6592 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »
Why does the Spelling Bee get so much attention, when the Geography Bee does not? 

Knowing geography > Memorizing thousands of words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Jvdw9djTs

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6593 on: June 02, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
Why does the Spelling Bee get so much attention, when the Geography Bee does not? 

Knowing geography > Memorizing thousands of words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Jvdw9djTs

District Geobee champion agrees

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6594 on: June 02, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
I was wondering why they call it a spelling "bee," and discovered that the term has nothing to do with a contest or competition. It's derived from the Middle English word "bene," which means to help neighbors in the accomplishment of a particular task.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/alternate-spelling-bee-titles

So how come a contestant gets disqualified if they are caught getting help spelling a word?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6595 on: June 02, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »
I was wondering why they call it a spelling "bee," and discovered that the term has nothing to do with a contest or competition. It's derived from the Middle English word "bene," which means to help neighbors in the accomplishment of a particular task.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/alternate-spelling-bee-titles

So how come a contestant gets disqualified if they are caught getting help spelling a word?

You are helping your neighbor become a better speller through public humiliation.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6596 on: June 02, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »
You are helping your neighbor become a better speller through public humiliation.

I can get down with that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6597 on: June 03, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
Anyone who has tried a durian [raises hand] will understand just how crazy it is that the Chinese pay big money for them. I guess 'acquired taste' has become code for "they would eat rancid meat covered by flies if they thought it was cool."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/06/02/npr-malaysia-china-durian-craze

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6598 on: June 03, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »
Anyone who has tried a durian [raises hand] will understand just how crazy it is that the Chinese pay big money for them. I guess 'acquired taste' has become code for "they would eat rancid meat covered by flies if they thought it was cool."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/06/02/npr-malaysia-china-durian-craze

It's on my bucket list. Is it really as bad as it's made out to be?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6599 on: June 03, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
It's on my bucket list. Is it really as bad as it's made out to be?

I gagged as soon as I put it in my mouth, but quickly swallowed. My wife gagged and spit hers out into a napkin. The vendor told us our responses weren't that unusual. Even in SE Asia (where they are most popular), they aren't allowed in enclosed public places like buses and subways because the smell is so offensive.

I would describe the taste/smell as an onion that went bad, then sat out for another couple of weeks.