[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1941490 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #1850 on: December 17, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Pronunciation vote, Gyro.

* Jy-row
* Gh-eero
* Hero

In the late 70's they opened up a gyro place in a mall near where I lived in Nashville. I believe it was the first place in the city that served them.  I was surprised when I moved up north and discovered that they were not served with barbecue sauce up here.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1851 on: December 17, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
In the late 70's they opened up a gyro place in a mall near where I lived in Nashville. I believe it was the first place in the city that served them.  I was surprised when I moved up north and discovered that they were not served with barbecue sauce up here.

Authentic southern gyros!

Ethnic food in the US has come a long way since then - your gyro place sounds kinda like like the "Chinese" (lol) place I grew up near in Menomonee Falls in the 70s - it was called "chop suey."  ?-(

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: December 17, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
JY-Row is my favorite way just to annoy people.

Just like calling Fajitias

FA-gy-tas

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
Authentic southern gyros!

Ethnic food in the US has come a long way since then - your gyro place sounds kinda like like the "Chinese" (lol) place I grew up near in Menomonee Falls in the 70s - it was called "chop suey."  ?-(

The history of Chinese cuisine in the US, specifically "Chop Suey," is a hilarious example of what Americans will stuff in their ratholes.

While on the subject, I was at a local pan-Asian restaurant last night where I noticed a new addition to their beer menu "Saboo Asian Craft Beer."  Four kinds: an "Asian Gold" kolsch-style ale, an "Asian White" session IPA, an "Asian Orange" IPA, and "Asian Black" dark ale.  I pulled up their website on my phone, http://mysaboo.net/, to get a little more information about the beer (it's not everyday you see "Asian craft beer") but unfortunately, the website is literally a front-page and a mailto: link.  No info, no history, nothing.

I looked closer at the can and saw that it was brewed by "Centerpoint Brewing Company, Indianapolis, IN".  So I pulled up Centerpoint's website, https://www.centerpointbrewing.com, and what I found was a craft brewery in Indianapolis with a lineup that includes - drum roll - a golden kolsch, a white session-IPA, a blood-orange IPA and a porter.

The only thing Asian about the beer was the logo on the label (which was actually shrink-wrapped around a blank can)... and I'm pretty sure even that was designed by some white kid who probably graduated from Bishop Chatard.

Wondering what other ethnicities these guys are hijacking in order to peddle their swill.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1854 on: December 18, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
The history of Chinese cuisine in the US, specifically "Chop Suey," is a hilarious example of what Americans will stuff in their ratholes.

While on the subject, I was at a local pan-Asian restaurant last night where I noticed a new addition to their beer menu "Saboo Asian Craft Beer."  Four kinds: an "Asian Gold" kolsch-style ale, an "Asian White" session IPA, an "Asian Orange" IPA, and "Asian Black" dark ale.  I pulled up their website on my phone, http://mysaboo.net/, to get a little more information about the beer (it's not everyday you see "Asian craft beer") but unfortunately, the website is literally a front-page and a mailto: link.  No info, no history, nothing.

I looked closer at the can and saw that it was brewed by "Centerpoint Brewing Company, Indianapolis, IN".  So I pulled up Centerpoint's website, https://www.centerpointbrewing.com, and what I found was a craft brewery in Indianapolis with a lineup that includes - drum roll - a golden kolsch, a white session-IPA, a blood-orange IPA and a porter.

The only thing Asian about the beer was the logo on the label (which was actually shrink-wrapped around a blank can)... and I'm pretty sure even that was designed by some white kid who probably graduated from Bishop Chatard.

Wondering what other ethnicities these guys are hijacking in order to peddle their swill.

Actually, it isn't necessarily just Americans.  For reasons that escape me, my daughters once asked to go out for Mexican when we were in Amsterdam. We found one place - a neighborhood hole in the wall. The food was NOT Mexican - nor even an Americanized version thereof. The burritos had flavorless boiled chicken and mixed veggies (peas, carrots and green beans) wrapped in a pita. The "salsa" was ketchup. Oof!!

I'm guessing it's just what happens when you have an economy full of people with money who want to try new cuisines...but the real cuisine hasn't quite gotten there yet.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: December 19, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
Actually, it isn't necessarily just Americans.  For reasons that escape me, my daughters once asked to go out for Mexican when we were in Amsterdam. We found one place - a neighborhood hole in the wall. The food was NOT Mexican - nor even an Americanized version thereof. The burritos had flavorless boiled chicken and mixed veggies (peas, carrots and green beans) wrapped in a pita. The "salsa" was ketchup. Oof!!

I'm guessing it's just what happens when you have an economy full of people with money who want to try new cuisines...but the real cuisine hasn't quite gotten there yet.

I'm curious as to whether that was a prototypical Dutch "Mexican" restaurant, or just the one that the tourists happen to find. 
Nevertheless, proximity and immigration obviously play a huge role [I'd like to see the food scene in RST these days given the extreme number of guests and visitors coming in from around the world (proportionate to the population)].  While the Mexican offerings may be lacking, I bet you'll find better Croatian and Romanian food there than anywhere in the U.S.
Unfortunately, Europe's xenophobia makes Trump look like the Pope, so frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you did actually see Amsterdam's best take on Mexican food.

That said, you could dredge the bottom of the deep fryer and sell it as food in Amsterdam.  Unless you're of Dutch ancestry or on a business trip, you're likely not taking note of the food you're shoveling into your rathole if you're visiting Amsterdam.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1856 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
I'm curious as to whether that was a prototypical Dutch "Mexican" restaurant, or just the one that the tourists happen to find. 
Nevertheless, proximity and immigration obviously play a huge role [I'd like to see the food scene in RST these days given the extreme number of guests and visitors coming in from around the world (proportionate to the population)].  While the Mexican offerings may be lacking, I bet you'll find better Croatian and Romanian food there than anywhere in the U.S.
Unfortunately, Europe's xenophobia makes Trump look like the Pope, so frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you did actually see Amsterdam's best take on Mexican food.

That said, you could dredge the bottom of the deep fryer and sell it as food in Amsterdam.  Unless you're of Dutch ancestry or on a business trip, you're likely not taking note of the food you're shoveling into your rathole if you're visiting Amsterdam.

The food scene in RST has improved dramatically in the past few years.  When we first got here in 1998, everything was either a chain, a remnant of an old-school steak and potatoes place, or one of the aforementioned faux Chinese places.  When the local magazine did its "best of" feature, Olive Garden won Best Italian several years running and Pizza Hut often won Best Pizza.  :-[

Now we have high-quality, more modern American "farm to table" places, a solid Italian place that makes many of its pastas in-house, a very respectable seafood place (considering we're in flyover country), pretty authentic Vietnamese Pho...and most importantly, a true coffee house where the baristas know how to make great espresso drinks (contra Starbucks, Dunn Bros, etc).  It certainly isn't Minneapolis, Milwaukee or Chicago, but it is far better than you'd ordinarily expect from a place twice its size.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1857 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: December 19, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
The food scene in RST has improved dramatically in the past few years.  When we first got here in 1998, everything was either a chain, a remnant of an old-school steak and potatoes place, or one of the aforementioned faux Chinese places.  When the local magazine did its "best of" feature, Olive Garden won Best Italian several years running and Pizza Hut often won Best Pizza.  :-[

Now we have high-quality, more modern American "farm to table" places, a solid Italian place that makes many of its pastas in-house, a very respectable seafood place (considering we're in flyover country), pretty authentic Vietnamese Pho...and most importantly, a true coffee house where the baristas know how to make great espresso drinks (contra Starbucks, Dunn Bros, etc).  It certainly isn't Minneapolis, Milwaukee or Chicago, but it is far better than you'd ordinarily expect from a place twice its size.

How is Michaels?  Used to go there a lot with my parents when visiting RST

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1859 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »

Faded, then closed in '14....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:17:46 PM by GooooMarquette »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1860 on: December 19, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
Rural Small Town?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: December 19, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
Rural Small Town?

Ravaged, Skinny Transvestites. Considering the area...

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #1862 on: December 19, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
Beer: Blood and Honey, Revolver Brewing Co
Liquor: Yellow Rose Premium Collection #1 Bourbon
Wine: What PTM said
Beer: None for me, thanks
Liquor: Havana Club Rum, thanks to my Canadian Friends-not the Baccardi brand
Wine: Champagne with my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:45:11 PM by mugrad99 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1863 on: December 19, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
RC83's
Summer
Turf

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1864 on: December 19, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
This is magnificent.

https://imgur.com/yH25jLZ

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1865 on: December 19, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
This is magnificent.

https://imgur.com/yH25jLZ

B...but I still don't know why we write him letters.... :-[

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1866 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
So did anyone get a set of Arby's meat sweats?

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/20/16800536/arbys-stunt-meat-sweatpants

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1867 on: December 27, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1868 on: December 29, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Hot dogs. Sandwiches or not?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »

It's a hot dog.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »

Die Hard.  Is it a Christmas movie?
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1871 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
Die Hard.  Is it a Christmas movie?
Does the sun rise in the East?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1872 on: December 29, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
Baby It’s Cold Outside.

Christmas song or not?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: December 29, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Baby It’s Cold Outside.

Christmas song or not?

Definitely a date rape song.
Have some patience, FFS.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #1874 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
Baby It’s Cold Outside.

Christmas song or not?

Absolutely. 

And it was in Elf, which is a Christmas movie.

feedback