[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tbt  (Read 57127 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Tbt
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »
Prolly why we got Joey!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »
Anyone know why trent Lockett didn't play?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
I'd say just the opposite. Having a Marquette alumni team in TBT (coached by a current NBA player in Wes Matthews) is great exposure for the MU program and the university. We also advanced to the Midwest regional final two years in a row. I'd say that's a pretty strong on-court performance.
My statement was unstated teal
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
I don't think how the TBT is performing has any impact on recruiting whatsoever.  It's a pick up basketball game played by alumni who aren't good enough to make the NBA and is only on television because it's July.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
I don't think how the TBT is performing has any impact on recruiting whatsoever.  It's a pick up basketball game played by alumni who aren't good enough to make the NBA and is only on television because it's July.

Oh sure it does. Recruits were watching this and any positive exposure for the program is a good thing. Is it going to be a deciding factor for a recruit? Hell no. It was as tiny of an impact as an impact can be, but it is still a positive.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

That awkward moment three of the players on our team have played in the NBA.

Like TAMU said, players watch this and while it's not massive yet and likely won't ever be on par with the NBA or CBB it's something basketball fans (like those were recruiting) would watch and anything putting our brand out there is a positive.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »
Also, while our university support of the TBT team has been nice, it sounds like both Syracuse and Ohio State had minicamps for their alumni teams as well. We may have been one of the first, but it's becoming fairly common, it seems.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »

What teams are they currently playing for? That was his point. They're not good enough to make the NBA right now.

Oh sure it does. Recruits were watching this and any positive exposure for the program is a good thing. Is it going to be a deciding factor for a recruit? Hell no. It was as tiny of an impact as an impact can be, but it is still a positive.

IOW, it's simply not a negative.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
My statement was unstated teal

With so many posters here who take every loss as if it's the end of the world, it can be difficult to tell the difference sometimes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
Weak student support in Brooklyn did us in, ainar?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
TBT's main audience is college basketball diehards who are dying for a chance to watch their favorite sport (or at least something close to it) in the offseason. Maybe some recruits, probably current players. Casual fans could care less.

Last summer, for example, the championship game of The Basketball Tournament drew 344,000 viewers — compared with 23 million viewers for the 2017 NCAA championship game.

So the impact right now is minimal. But it's still national exposure for Marquette basketball and the university on ESPN. Every little bit helps. Anytime we're mentioned alongside schools like Gonzaga, Ohio State, Syracuse and Villanova, it's a good thing. Plus, TBT is only in its fourth year and still growing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »

The last one was...what...over two years ago?  Nothing awkward at all about my statement.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »

The last one was...what...over two years ago?  Nothing awkward at all about my statement.

So what if it was two years ago they were still good enough to get a cup of coffee which is more than most get. Now had you said at this point or be more thanbench players in the NBA you'd have a point.

I'm just arguing that there's plenty of guys in that tournament who have been NBA players in the past.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
So what if it was two years ago they were still good enough to get a cup of coffee which is more than most get. Now had you said at this point or be more thanbench players in the NBA you'd have a point.

I'm just arguing that there's plenty of guys in that tournament who have been NBA players in the past.

My statement was "aren't good enough to make the NBA."  That is a present tense statement.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
I'm curious to see what TBT looks like in another few years if the prize money continues to increase.

Two years ago it was $500,000. Then $1 million. Then $2 million. If organizers can get that into the $5-10 million range (or bigger), you could see a lot more interest from current NBA players. For someone making the league minimum — between $600,000 and $1.6 million this upcoming season — the chance to double your yearly earnings could be a strong incentive.

Once you have NBA players in the mix, TBT could really start to generate some attention. Maybe the NBA actually gets behind it as an offseason marketing tool.

And what happens if top players like Lebron or Steph Curry decide to join in? Like a professional AAU league. Their participation could drive viewership through the roof, possibly justifying a prize pool of $50+ million (on the level of the World Series of Poker today). They're working out and playing pickup ball in the offseason, anyway. Why not play a handful of games with your friends for a chance to earn a few extra million?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
I'm curious to see what TBT looks like in another few years if the prize money continues to increase.

Two years ago it was $500,000. Then $1 million. Then $2 million. If organizers can get that into the $5-10 million range (or bigger), you could see a lot more interest from current NBA players. For someone making the league minimum — between $600,000 and $1.6 million this upcoming season — the chance to double your yearly earnings could be a strong incentive.

Once you have NBA players in the mix, TBT could really start to generate some attention. Maybe the NBA actually gets behind it as an offseason marketing tool.

And what happens if top players like Lebron or Steph Curry decide to join in? Like a professional AAU league. Their participation could drive viewership through the roof, possibly justifying a prize pool of $50+ million (on the level of the World Series of Poker today). They're working out and playing pickup ball in the offseason, anyway. Why not play a handful of games with your friends for a chance to earn a few extra million?

1) The team gets 90% of the $2M to split, not individually. The players would get about $100k-150k. Not bad, but not NBA money.

2) The NBA has their Summer League as a marketing tool and it includes current NBA lottery picks. They're not interested in an exhibition tournament of potential 12th men.

3) I'm guessing that big money NBA players would have it in their contracts that they can't play in this type of exhibition, not that they would anyway. It'd be a no-win situation.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:13:21 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
The best part of today was all the interviews with Jen Hale. It would be nice if we could get her on Fox Sports. Smart and Sexy.

Yeah, she sounded really smart when she referred to Davante as a "rim protector."

To be a rim protector, don't you have to be able to at least touch the rim?

The guy had 45 blocks in 4 years ... and frankly I was surprised it was that many!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
3) I'm guessing that big money NBA players would have it in their contracts that they can't play in this type of exhibition, not that they would anyway. It'd be a no-win situation.

I'd bet even the low-money NBA players probably have it in their contracts... there might even be some sort of ban to that effect in the collective bargaining agreement.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
I'd bet even the low-money NBA players probably have it in their contracts... there might even be some sort of ban to that effect in the collective bargaining agreement.

The NBA and the players association came to an agreement on the Olympics. The players don't even get paid for that (outside of endorsements). And the league recognized that it was an incredible opportunity to market the NBA worldwide.

If enough players like Lebron decided they wanted to participate in an informal tournament like the TBT, I think the commissioner would find a way to help make it happen. The NBA might even invest in TBT or buy it outright. It could mean huge ratings (and broadcast rights) for the league during a time of the year when they're barely generating any revenue.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. Purely hypothetical. But I could see it if the interest is there and the money is right for all parties involved.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
The NBA and the players association came to an agreement on the Olympics. The players don't even get paid for that (outside of endorsements). And the league recognized that it was an incredible opportunity to market the NBA worldwide.

If enough players like Lebron decided they wanted to participate in an informal tournament like the TBT, I think the commissioner would find a way to help make it happen. The NBA might even invest in TBT or buy it outright. It could mean huge ratings (and broadcast rights) for the league during a time of the year when they're barely generating any revenue.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. Purely hypothetical. But I could see it if the interest is there and the money is right for all parties involved.

I think you think more of the TBT than even the TBT organizers do. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »
A few scattered thoughts on the TBT's Golden Eagles ...

When we couldn't get a fastbreak going or couldn't get the ball in to Davante, our offense was pretty frustrating to watch all tournament long. Our guards would just dribble awhile and then jack up a shot. Sometimes it went in, but often it didn't. When Davante wasn't involved, it was kind of a "worst of the NBA" offense much of the time.

Buycks apparently did well during the summer league. I didn't see one second of it, so I'll take others' word on it. But I did see all 4 TBT games, and he was mostly bad, and occasionally awful. If I had to take one MU guard based on the TBT, it would have been DJO. He was tough on D and he made some big shots. Buycks mostly dribbled between his legs for 15 seconds and then chucked up fade-away 3-pointers. He didn't go to the hoop very often and hardly ever set up his teammates. I was amazed he spent any time in the NBA when he got up there last time, and I'd be amazed again if anybody would take him.

Though I've doubted Jamil has a real chance at the NBA, in part because I don't think he's as good an athlete as his body type would suggest, I do think that if he could be a 40% 3-point shooter some team would find a spot for him. He's a good enough athlete to hang in against many NBAers, and every team needs shooting. His stroke looked good, even when the shots didn't go in. I can see why the Clippers are taking a flier on him.

Loved watching Davante's work in the first 3 games. Still so fun to watch. But given that Sullinger pretty much dominated him, I'm guessing that Dirk still isn't in fear of Davante.

Along with Buycks, pretty unimpressed with Jerel and can see why he hasn't gotten a sniff from the NBA. Yet another example of a very good college player who isn't good enough for the NBA. This just in: It's hard to be a pro!

Aside from Davante and DJO, I was most impressed with three role players: Mo, Juan and Trend. Watching Trend in this tournament, I'm surprised he could hardly get on the court during his time at MU. I really don't remember much about his time there. Was he hurt? Or could he simply not play back then? Too skinny maybe? He has length and pretty darn good timing on defense, and his shot isn't bad. Mo helped the team every time he was on the court, and Juan definitely provided a spark.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
I think you think more of the TBT than even the TBT organizers do.

I totally recognize what the TBT is right now — summer filler for ESPN. Like I pointed out above, the audience is about 1% of the NCAA championship. That's peanuts. And TBT might never be anything more. But I see a spark of potential, depending on a number of factors.

Fan interest
Think about the McGregor-Mayweather fight. It's just an exhibition match. There's no title at stake. But it's happening for one reason and one reason only: because fight fans are willing to pay big dollars to see it happen.

Player interest
Top NBA players like Lebron want to control their own destinies. Lebron has acted like a GM in both Miami and his return to Cleveland. Remember the 2011 lockout, when stars like Kobe and Lebron played exhibitions in LA and other cities? For TBT to become big money, you'd have to have the best players. So the best players could set the terms and have total control.

League interest
Team owners are all about maximizing revenue. If there's extra money somewhere in it for them, they'll find a way to make it happen.

Again, all complete hypothetical meandering just to kill time until the season starts.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
Get Lavar Ball to promote it.

Im not even kidding. You mentioned McGregor and Mayweather, the only reason this works is because they're two giant personalities. I cant stand Lavar but the guy is really effing smart and an incredible marketer.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »
Don't some NBA players already play in summer Pro Am leagues (i.e. Drew League in LA)?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »
A few scattered thoughts on the TBT's Golden Eagles ...

When we couldn't get a fastbreak going or couldn't get the ball in to Davante, our offense was pretty frustrating to watch all tournament long. Our guards would just dribble awhile and then jack up a shot. Sometimes it went in, but often it didn't. When Davante wasn't involved, it was kind of a "worst of the NBA" offense much of the time.

Buycks apparently did well during the summer league. I didn't see one second of it, so I'll take others' word on it. But I did see all 4 TBT games, and he was mostly bad, and occasionally awful. If I had to take one MU guard based on the TBT, it would have been DJO. He was tough on D and he made some big shots. Buycks mostly dribbled between his legs for 15 seconds and then chucked up fade-away 3-pointers. He didn't go to the hoop very often and hardly ever set up his teammates. I was amazed he spent any time in the NBA when he got up there last time, and I'd be amazed again if anybody would take him.

Though I've doubted Jamil has a real chance at the NBA, in part because I don't think he's as good an athlete as his body type would suggest, I do think that if he could be a 40% 3-point shooter some team would find a spot for him. He's a good enough athlete to hang in against many NBAers, and every team needs shooting. His stroke looked good, even when the shots didn't go in. I can see why the Clippers are taking a flier on him.

Loved watching Davante's work in the first 3 games. Still so fun to watch. But given that Sullinger pretty much dominated him, I'm guessing that Dirk still isn't in fear of Davante.

Along with Buycks, pretty unimpressed with Jerel and can see why he hasn't gotten a sniff from the NBA. Yet another example of a very good college player who isn't good enough for the NBA. This just in: It's hard to be a pro!

Aside from Davante and DJO, I was most impressed with three role players: Mo, Juan and Trend. Watching Trend in this tournament, I'm surprised he could hardly get on the court during his time at MU. I really don't remember much about his time there. Was he hurt? Or could he simply not play back then? Too skinny maybe? He has length and pretty darn good timing on defense, and his shot isn't bad. Mo helped the team every time he was on the court, and Juan definitely provided a spark.
I watched Buycks in summer league and he was a totally different player than we he showed in TBT. That is too bad because I think there where scouts at TBT and he could have helped his own cause if he could have even played as well as he did the first game of the TBT.

I watched Jamil in summer league and he was spectacular. He had a very specific role to play D and shoot open 3s or feed the inside and he did all that well.  It sounded like Wes was pushing Jamil to take a more aggressive offensive posture in TBT, although I think he still showed a low of good things.  He has definitely earned a real shot a training camp and hopefully the two way contract will result in him getting some time this year in the league.

I would still like to see DJO get one last at in the NBA somewhere as a point guard. He works so hard on the defensive end and really hustles.  He would be great somewhere as a dependable back up.

The rest of our team ,especially Davante  and Acker , were very fun to watch.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback