[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 71240 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
Here's my list post-Infinity War:

1) The Avengers: Infinity War
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Black Panther
4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5) The Avengers
6) Iron Man
7) Captain America: Civil War
8) Ant-Man
9) Captain America: The First Avenger
10) Spider-Man: Homecoming
11) Thor: Ragnarok
12) Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
13) Doctor Strange
14) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
15) Thor
16) Iron Man 2
17) Thor: The Dark World
18) The Incredible Hulk
19) Iron Man 3

I know I have Ragnarok a bit lower than some, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't have it quite as high as some others. I do need to rewatch that (it's the only one I didn't get back to pre-Infinity War) so maybe I will move it up. I love the Cap movies and feel that as a series it's the best there is in the MCU, though both GotG and Black Panther can give it a run. The first Iron Man I loved, the second and third, especially the butchering of Mandarin, rate quite a bit lower. I would say I really enjoyed the top-15 on my list, then it takes a sharp decline.

On your list, I guess the biggest surprises for me are seeing Doc Strange top-5 and seeing Ant-Man so low. I enjoyed Strange, but didn't feel it was top-tier Marvel, while I thought Ant-Man was incredibly charming, well-written, well-acted, and just fun. They really did the quirkiness of it well. By and large, I think the later IM movies, Hulk (largely because it ended up recast and from a continuity perspective is just kind of there), and Dark World are definitely the bottom tier.

Just saw Iwar... and it was completely ruined for me by the ticket taker who said:

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

he said, with no buffer or any warning, "It ends with a cliff hanger, enjoy the movie."   

What the heck??   I knew there'd be some sort of hook for the next movie, but the whole point of a cliff hanger is that it should be somewhat of a surprise.  So as soon as Thanos got the 3rd stone, because of what he said, I knew exactly how it was going to end.  I felt I should have been surprised a bit, but I wasn't.  No wondering if it would bleed into the next movie or anything.. I felt like I was just waiting another hour and a half for the ending I expected to happen.   That also kept me from having this movie at the top of my list. 

As far as Dr. Strange and Ant man placement.  Both were different characters types than the original Avengers.  However, the writing for Ant man and the story line just didn't quite flow as well as others.  I still enjoyed it, just thought it could have had something a little extra.  Where as the Dr. Strange progression was much more fluid and he came a long way.  The writing and intricacies around it had more depth to me.    But pretty much all but the top 5 to the bottom 5 are so close for me that I could probably tweek it dozens of times. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
I expected it end the way it did because I have read everything with "Infinity ________" in the title. Despite expecting the ending, I loved the flow of the movie and how they got there. Hearing the instant reaction from other moviegoers around me was pretty cool, despite my anticipation of the outcome.

My big debate now is if I go see it tomorrow night. Thinking about driving to Lincolnshire to see 3D IMAX. I'm home alone so it's probably the only chance I'll get, but I'm also going to a 4DX show Wednesday, so it might be overkill.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
Infinity War was good. But not at the top for me.

I think Part 2 has a better chance to make that claim.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
Oh my God. So good.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
I'm going to see this on Sunday.   Rehashing with co-workers some of the better and worse moments in the films.  It's surprising how many varying types of people these movies attract.  They're clearly not drawing just the stereotypical comic book fan or action movie junkie.  Even my parents in their 70's are enjoying them.

Discussion today lead to this ranking.   Anyone have an opinion on the list below?

1 Guardians of the Galaxy
2 Thor: Ragnarok
3 Iron Man
4 Black Panther
5 Dr. Strange
6 The Avengers
7 Thor
8 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
9 Captain America: Civil War
10 Captain America
11 Guardians of the Galaxy 2
12 Spiderman: Homecoming
13 The Avengers: Age of Ultron
14 Iron Man 2
15 Thor: The Dark World
16 Ant Man
17 Iron Man 3
18 Incredible Hulk

Ant-Man behind Thor 2?  Thor better than Winter Soldier?  May I ask why?  It's your list and your opinion, so it's totally cool, but general population would disagree.

As for the movie, IW was fantastic.  Also going in without watching the second trailer and any other tv spots was much more rewarding.  Very difficult to do with everything pretty much accessible and in your face, but man, watching without any potential spoilers was great.  Plan on not watching any trailers for the 4th Avengers movie.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
Ant-Man behind Thor 2?  Thor better than Winter Soldier?  May I ask why?  It's your list and your opinion, so it's totally cool, but general population would disagree.

As for the movie, IW was fantastic.  Also going in without watching the second trailer and any other tv spots was much more rewarding.  Very difficult to do with everything pretty much accessible and in your face, but man, watching without any potential spoilers was great.  Plan on not watching any trailers for the 4th Avengers movie.

Yeah, Ant-Man just seemed to be lacking something for me.  I just rewatched it about 2 weeks ago and that affirmed my feelings on it.  It just felt too disjointed in it's feel and in the writing.  It was supposed to be fun, quirky, and humorous, ala Guardians or the last Thor.  However it fell it a little flat in that regard.  And to be fair, I recognize I enjoyed Thor 2 more than most.

That being said, from #5 down to 14, my rankings couldn't be more similar and they could change as easily as the time of day or what smelly topping my coworker's food had that put me in a good or foul mood when making the list. 

I'm going your route for Avengers 4... will do my best to avoid teasers and trailers at all cost so that if I have a similar situation with the ticket person next time I won't be able to piece things together as easily.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Rumor has it the title for the next Avengers movie will be Endgame. Not sure if that's Avengers: Endgame or possibly even Thanos: Endgame.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:06 PM »
I just got out of the theater...was it good though? I’m by no means trying to play Debbie Downer and generally I enjoy Marvel movies, but kinda thought it was alright, but also feel like that’s two and a half hours I’m not getting back. I didn’t read the comics, pay no attention to spoilers, and kinda figured things out as to the ending around the 2 hour mark. They’ll get my money again for the next one, but as a cinematic experience, kinda left me meh.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
I just got out of the theater...was it good though? I’m by no means trying to play Debbie Downer and generally I enjoy Marvel movies, but kinda thought it was alright, but also feel like that’s two and a half hours I’m not getting back. I didn’t read the comics, pay no attention to spoilers, and kinda figured things out as to the ending around the 2 hour mark. They’ll get my money again for the next one, but as a cinematic experience, kinda left me meh.

Went today, this is the perfect summation of my thoughts. It wasn't that great.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
Just saw it. Not sure where I'd rank it yet but it was fantastic.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
The amount of talent to cohesively bring together all those characters/storylines and give them all (somewhat) their time on the screen was the most impressive thing about it for me.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
Fun fact - Stephen McFeely, who co-wrote the Captain America movies and Infinity War, is the brother-in-law of a close friend of mine.

No, I've never met him or got any perks so maybe it's actually not that fun of a fact.  Sounds like he's a good dude, though. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 06:20:36 PM »
The amount of talent to cohesively bring together all those characters/storylines and give them all (somewhat) their time on the screen was the most impressive thing about it for me.

They did a great job of making everyone relevant and creating the kind of interactions we've waited a decade to see while also moving the story along quickly.

The one thing I would've liked more of was using uncommon partnerships to create physical interactions. Strange and the Peters (Parker with teleportation, Quill with the jumping platforms) and Bucky doing the spinning hail of gunfire with Rocket were about the only really creative partnerships.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
I saw Avengers - Infinity War over the weekend.  A ton of meat packed into this film.  I feel like I may need to see again to figure out what I missed or what may be important after reading some post-film reviews on the movie.  It was good, but the in limbo status is obvious with a second film next year.

So Thor finally figured out how to be a god.
And Captain Marvel is coming out before the second Infinity War film and she will be in the second AIW film.  From what I read, based on comments from Kevin Feige and other Marvel personnel, her character is supposed to be the most powerful in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
Are we allowed to talk spoilers yet so I can give more poignant criticism of what I thought wasn't great about the movie?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »
Don't know if there are any comic book readers here, but doe anyone know if there has been someone cast for Adam Warlock yet, or are they saving him for GOTG 3?

I just feel like he's way too important of a character to be left out of Avengers 4 and can't see how they close up the story arc without him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »
Don't know if there are any comic book readers here, but doe anyone know if there has been someone cast for Adam Warlock yet, or are they saving him for GOTG 3?

I just feel like he's way too important of a character to be left out of Avengers 4 and can't see how they close up the story arc without him.

He will not be in Avengers 4. That's confirmed by James Gunn. My guess is he debuts in GotG Vol. 3 and becomes a focal point of what is rumored to be a Cosmic heavy Phase 4. Possibly building to a Magus storyline down the road.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

Pretty sure he was in the end-credits scene of Guardians 2

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »
Pretty sure he was in the end-credits scene of Guardians 2

His cocoon was first seen in the Collector's possession in the mid-credits scene from Thor 2 when Sif and Volstagg bring the Aether/Reality Stone to him for safekeeping. GotG director James Gunn, who also directed that mid-credit scene, said that was a mistake and shouldn't have been in there.

The new and improved version of the cocoon was seen in the GotG Volume 2 post-credit scene in the possession of Her (Ayesha, the Elizabeth Debicki gold-skinned villain) and she referred to him as "Adam". From interviews with Gunn, it sounds like Warlock will first appear in GotG Volume 3.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2018, 11:36:41 PM »
Question for those poo-pooing IWar.... have you seen all of the MCU movies, or are you jumping in midstream?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
Just saw Ant-Man and The Wasp. What a fun ride. I liked it a lot better than the first, and I liked the first. Marvel has had a great year.

They captured humor, tugged heartstrings, and frankly the action hero of the piece was Wasp. Ghost also made for an interesting antagonist. I was curious how they'd portray Ghost and it was well done.

After Infinity War, this felt like a needed turn. IW was so heavy, this was just a light-hearted, fun romp.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »
Just saw Ant-Man and The Wasp. What a fun ride. I liked it a lot better than the first, and I liked the first. Marvel has had a great year.

They captured humor, tugged heartstrings, and frankly the action hero of the piece was Wasp. Ghost also made for an interesting antagonist. I was curious how they'd portray Ghost and it was well done.

After Infinity War, this felt like a needed turn. IW was so heavy, this was just a light-hearted, fun romp.

Cool!  I'm going to see Sunday evening.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »
Michael Peña's character stole the show in Ant Man & Wasp

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »

Question for those poo-pooing IWar.... have you seen all of the MCU movies, or are you jumping in midstream?

We had friends visiting from out of town this past week, and while the women shopped the men went and watched IW.

I'll answer Benny's question first: I have seen hardly any of the MCU movies, and I've never read any of the comic books. I saw the first and second Iron Man films (I liked the first; the second, I might as well have thrown my money into a toilet and flushed), Black Panther and one of the Captain America sequels (can't remember which). That's it. I also saw the original Spider-Man trilogy with Tobey Maguire ... I guess they don't count as MCU films?

As for IW, I was entertained. And as some others said, I was impressed by the ability to weave in so many characters from so many past movies. I really liked Brolin as Thanos.

SPOILER SPOILER

I had not read anything about the movie -- if I think there's even a chance that I'm going to see a film, I will not read any reviews because I HATE spoilers -- so I knew nothing about the backstory. And while watching it, I did not realize there would be no resolution.

My immediate thought as I left the theater was similar to what I felt when I walked out of Empire Strikes Back: "Crap, they did an entire movie expressly to make me have to watch the next one." But of course, being a Star Wars fan and not a lifelong MCU fan, I thought Empire was a better stand-alone film than IW.

As MCU films go, I'd probably rate Black Panther and this one as the best I've seen, though I remember enjoying the 2002 Spider-Man more than either. And if I'm going to lump all comic-book movies in one big pile, I liked The Dark Knight best of all. Heck, for sheer entertainment, I remember liking the original Superman with Christopher Reeve (but I was a lot younger and easier to entertain then).

Finally, I will say that as I've become a more experienced, discerning film-goer (in other words, as I've gotten older) I've become a "tough grader."

I use what I call the "Schindler's List" scale: If Schindler is a perfect 4 on the standard 4-star rating system -- and I think it is -- then I do not casually throw around 4s or even 3.5s or 3s.

So I certainly wouldn't give IW worse than a solid 2.5, which isn't a bad score for me, and if I thought about it enough I might hike that to 3 (but probably not).

But it wasn't Schindler's or Raging Bull or Jaws or The Graduate or Casablanca or Shawshank Redemption or Godfather or Hoop Dreams or Star Wars or E.T. or ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
Captain Marvel just dropped (haha, pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8

Nothing sets a story in the late 90's better than a Blockbuster Video.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback