[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65329 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:54 PM »
I'd have to guess it would be the other way around.  We have a glut of forwards and a limited number of guards.  One of the forwards/centers will be the one to go, probably due to being at the bottom of the depth chart.

Since we haven't seen many of them in action, I have no idea what the depth chart looks like, but if I had to guess it is:

Froling
Morrow
John
Heldt
Eke
Ike is underrated on this site.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »
Ike is underrated on this site.

Seems properly rated to me. High upside guy, but hard to bank on much contribution right away.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Ahh interesting. The ins and outs of the "5 year clock" are above my head. I'll defer to the likes of TAMU and other posters who know the specifics.

Ya we had Otule for 6 years. He played every single year. The 5 year clock is wonky.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 04:56:05 AM »
Sam congratulated him on twitter and Mrs. Hauser liked it.

Sam is clearly transferring to UW as well.

what??  teal??
don't...don't don't don't don't

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »
It would be smart if Eke takes a red shirt this upcoming season. We just need to focus on Joey now

No way it happens this season because then we'd only have John and Heldt in the fall.  Maybe a sophomore redshirt like Sacar.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
It would be smart if Eke takes a red shirt this upcoming season. We just need to focus on Joey now

Not this year.  But his Sophomore year maybe.  Remember that Morrow sits out and Harry isn't eligible until second semester.

Edit. Sorry.  Hadn't seen the above post.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:48:13 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
When Joey goes elsewhere, Sam will be cut to free up a spot.

Right now, Wojo can be selective.  I personally lean towards a guard and BPA.  Wojo has no history of oversigning but I wonder if he'll change his line of thinking.  Odds are someone will be unhappy in the next 6-12 months and things work themselves out.  I won't speculate as to who that will be but historically there has been attrition and future attrition should not be surprising.  I'd almost be more surprised if there wasn't attrition.

I am dying to hear Big Daddy gives us an update.  Hopefully he can get online after he's done sweeping Kasten.

Agree totally.  The only bench guy that it really can't be is Sacar because of the 5 year rule.  But absolutely must respect a guy who volunteers for a RS, may never get above 9th man in his career, and earns his MU degree.  Much like DU, those are guys I cheer for if they tell coach they want to grad transfer to get minutes in their final year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 07:00:53 AM »
Wait just a minute.  Anybody get Morrow's neck measurement yet?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
Nebraska?  I thought we were done with jucos?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
No way it happens this season because then we'd only have John and Heldt in the fall.  Maybe a sophomore redshirt like Sacar.

Eh, I'm comfortable with only Heldt and John for the first 8 or 9 games. I don't think Eke will be ready to make a difference when he first gets to campus. But it might be smarter to wait until his sophomore year, the bench will be a lot deeper than.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Eh, I'm comfortable with only Heldt and John for the first 8 or 9 games. I don't think Eke will be ready to make a difference when he first gets to campus. But it might be smarter to wait until his sophomore year, the bench will be a lot deeper than.
It makes more sense to redshirt Eke right away, if he is not ready. A player that is not ready is not going to help the first semester of next year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
To start next season, assuming the incumbents win the spots (understanding these traditional roles may not exactly match Wojo's system):
PG: Rowsey (Howard, Cheatham)
SG: Howard (Elliott, Sacar)
SF: Cheatham (Elliott, Cain)
PF: Hauser (John, Cain, Eke)
C: Heldt (John, Eke)
Sitting: Harry, Morrow

To start the Big East season and makng some assumptions:
SF: Hauser (Elliott, Cheatham, Cain)
PF: John (Froling, Cain, Eke)
C: Froling (Heldt, John)
Sitting: Morrow

The following season if Joey commits:
PG: Howard (Cheatham)
SG: Elliott (Bailey, Sacar)
SF: Sam (Morrow, Cain, Bailey)
PF: Joey (Morrow, John, Eke)
C: Froling (John, Heldt)

That is quite the log jam in the front court and MU is not as/so strong in the backcourt. Very unbalanced roster which seems to be a Wojo trademark. Obviously, guards are a priority to replace Chatham and Heldt when they graduate. So, transfers/releases, red shirts, and leaving early for the pros are possible mitigating factors for speculation on roster composition.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »
To start next season, assuming the incumbents win the spots (understanding these traditional roles may not exactly match Wojo's system):

That is quite the log jam in the front court and MU is not as/so strong in the backcourt. Very unbalanced roster which seems to be a Wojo trademark. Obviously, guards are a priority to replace Chatham and Heldt when they graduate. So, transfers/releases, red shirts, and leaving early for the pros are possible mitigating factors for speculation on roster composition.

The lack of concern for PGs is really troubling.  When can Traci grad transfer back?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »

Bailey as a two guard?
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:41 AM »

This is about as balanced of an MU team as I can remember in a really long time.  The only need is a backup point guard, and we don't really know if Elliot could handle that as a sophomore or not.  Otherwise?  Size, shooting, rebounding, defense, ball handling all covered for years to come.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2017, 07:57:11 AM »
Bailey as a two guard?

He is a shooter...not a lot of guard depth. Other than the 3/2, where else might he get minutes?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
I don't think any assumptions can be made about future PG play.  Exhibit #1, the Milwaukee Bucks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
Let me flip this around a bit.  You guys remember when both Luke and Matty would be in foul trouble and Wojo would look down the bench toward........

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:40 AM »
This is about as balanced of an MU team as I can remember in a really long time.  The only need is a backup point guard, and we don't really know if Elliot could handle that as a sophomore or not.  Otherwise?  Size, shooting, rebounding, defense, ball handling all covered for years to come.

That guard depth is thin, and is an injury/early exit away from being very vulnerable.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »

I'm thinking that you're overestimating Elliott a bit, and underestimating Cain more than a bit.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
Let me flip this around a bit.  You guys remember when both Luke and Matty would be in foul trouble and Wojo would look down the bench toward........

Sam and that small line up was very effective offensively at times. Where the lack of bigs killed us was on defense. That will improve significantly in the future with this roster (considering last year's MU team was the worst in any of our lifetimes).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
I'm thinking that you're overestimating Elliott a bit, and underestimating Cain more than a bit.

Could very well be...although the scuttle is the staff thinks that Elliott is the "next big thing". Certainly, all of this can be blown up as players develop, but MU went from a guard to a big dominated roster in a blink of an eye.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »

Yes, but the end of the 2005 season and Western Michigan game were far more troubling to me.  #guardsgame

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
Sam congratulated him on twitter and Mrs. Hauser liked it.

Sam is clearly transferring to UW as well.

Gard hired Mrs Hauser as an assistant coach this morning.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
Sam and that small line up was very effective offensively at times. Where the lack of bigs killed us was on defense. That will improve significantly in the future with this roster (considering last year's MU team was the worst in any of our lifetimes).

And there's your key.  We had 10 fouls to give in the paint and Luke especially was prone.  Once those were used, it was a big problem.