[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65587 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »
I think the PGs role is a bit overrated when breaking the press. Our best weapons on the press last year, in my opinion, were Sam and Katin. Both did a good job of getting to the middle and passing or dribbling across half.

+1

Remember clearly screaming 'Get the ball to Katin!'

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
I'm all for point guards who can shoot.  I love Travis & Hutch.  I just hope they can also handle the basketball.  Saying someone's a combo guard implies they can handle pressure.  That's where I worry about us right now.

Handling the press with an All-Conference PG is one way to go about it. You can also handle the press with a 3 or 4 that handle the ball better than whoever's guarding them (ala Katin this past year and Henry the year before).

The roster next year with positions probably looks something like this:
-Wowsey: 1/2
-Marcus18: 1/2
-Haani: 2/3
-Sacar(wherever he is): 2/3
-Cain: 3
-#SammySplash: 3/4
-The Aussie: 4/5
-Heldt's Kitchen: 5
-Elliot: 1/2
-I like Ike: 4
-John: 4

In 2018 it looks like this:
-Marcus18: 1/2
-Elliot: 1/2
-Haani: 2/3
-Sacar(wherever he is): 2/3
-Cain: 2/3
-#SammySplash: 3/4
-The Aussie: 5
-Heldt's Kitchen: 5
-I like Ike: 4
-John: 4
-Bailey: 3/4
-Morrow: 4/5
-open spot that is Joey's for the taking: 4/5

There are enough ball handlers this coming season for sure, and likely next season that we'll be ok.....having said that I would be totally shocked if the 18 roster looks like I've detailed it and someone isn't gone/not here and a PG who can shoot is in that roster spot

Bottom line, the roster looks awesome for this coming season and in pretty good shape for '18 so I'm going to take it and run.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
The bigger problem from the point guard position wasn't the press, it was getting into the lane without a plan.  Markus would get bailed out, or would bail himself out, but that's where he would get into trouble.  Experience is going to solve this problem.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Nebraska?  I thought we were done with jucos?

Hot fiyahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
The bigger problem from the point guard position wasn't the press, it was getting into the lane without a plan.  Markus would get bailed out, or would bail himself out, but that's where he would get into trouble.  Experience is going to solve this problem.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Yep.  That was the other thing I was screaming. "Where ARE you going?'   ?-(

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
It would be smart if Eke takes a red shirt this upcoming season. We just need to focus on Joey now

This is something I expect to happen...I hope to happen. We were the best program that offered Eke...If he wants to play at this level he should redshirt for a year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
This is something I expect to happen...I hope to happen. We were the best program that offered Eke...If he wants to play at this level he should redshirt for a year.
Ike had offers from Pitt and Xavier . We got him early in the process. Ike is going to be a huge contributor to our success in the future.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
With
Ike had offers from Pitt and Xavier . We got him early in the process. Ike is going to be a huge contributor to our success in the future.

With Heldt/Froling ahead of him in the depth chart this year I still think a redshirt is a better use of year 1 rather than 5 MPG....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »
With
With Heldt/Froling ahead of him in the depth chart this year I still think a redshirt is a better use of year 1 rather than 5 MPG....
Why is Froling ahead of Ike in the depth chart? I see it the other way around. Ike can play defense , rebound run the floor and he can also shoot. I view Froling as the project , not Ike.
            ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »

Huh. I did not know that, but it looks to be accurate. I typically like Xavier's bigs so the fact that Mack offered makes me optimistic.

Froling is definitely ahead of Ike on the depth chart. He was getting minutes on a top-25 SMU team last year before he transferred, and that's with him being out of shape. Add in that he's already vastly improved his strength and conditioning and has 5 more months to do so? I would guess he gets a lot of minutes once he's eligible.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
Why is Froling ahead of Ike in the depth chart? I see it the other way around. Ike can play defense , rebound run the floor and he can also shoot. I view Froling as the project , not Ike.

Ummmm. I haven't seen Ike play live, but I think Froling is going to be much less of project.  IMO, Froling is going to be one of our better players when eligible next year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
So let me ask this question to those of you who are never happy about anything. 

Should we have told Morrow to go to Xavier simply because we're running a little thin at guard following Rowsey's graduation after the upcoming season?  Really? 

God forbid that we only have until Fall '18 to bolster that position either via the play of Hanni, Elliott or via a new addition either in the coveted Joey slot (if he decides to go elsewhere) or an opening when next year's 11th man decides he'd maximize his prospects elsewhere thereby creating a new slot.  Remember, that guy could easily be a grad transfer one year from now especially if minutes are immediately available.

And in the off chance that somehow Wojo totally runs out of scholarships because everything perfectly falls into place, do you really think he'll sacrifice the program before he quietly encourages the last man on the team to find a better fit at UW-GB or Bradley?

I think he's got a handle on this situation.

Who is complaining?  The roster balance has swung from guard heavy to big heavy. It isn't balanced by grade or position. Fact. MU is one injury away at guard to being vulnerable. Fact

Morrow isn't coming here to sit either. Wojo is still heavily recruiting guards. I am sure he knows what the situation is behind the scenes. More to come is all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »
I am in the 'Froling will be better than Ike next season' camp.  But it will be a lot of fun if I am wrong.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Pretty silly for anyone to be commenting on depth charts since its May, and there is no ball for 6 months.  These guys haven't practiced together and some of them haven't even shown up on campus yet.

But I guess prognosticators gonna prognosticate.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »
Who is complaining?  The roster balance has swung from guard heavy to big heavy. It isn't balanced by grade or position. Fact. MU is one injury away at guard to being vulnerable. Fact

Morrow isn't coming here to sit either. Wojo is still heavily recruiting guards. I am sure he knows what the situation is behind the scenes. More to come is all.

So your saying we should have passed on Morrow?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Ummmm. I haven't seen Ike play live, but I think Froling is going to be much less of project.  IMO, Froling is going to be one of our better players when eligible next year.
People are seriously underestimating what Ike is all about. This kid is hyper athletic, has an incredible body that will only get better and he has a very smooth outside shot.  He played and performed well in one of the best leagues in the country. 6-10 long arms mobility and court vision with great foot work. He can guard multiple positions. Ike was an absolute steal for us . The young man is a winner.

---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »

Care to wager?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »

I think it shows the inequitable nature of the whole NCAA system that Ed Morrow, who will turn 21 next season, will now be in the same "class" as Marcus Howard, who, as we know, is only 14 years old.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »
People are seriously underestimating what Ike is all about. This kid is hyper athletic, has an incredible body that will only get better and he has a very smooth outside shot.  He played and performed well in one of the best leagues in the country. 6-10 long arms mobility and court vision with great foot work. He can guard multiple positions. Ike was an absolute steal for us . The young man is a winner.

I think we all hope you're right.  But I also think we see a kid who hasn't played basketball that long, looks very raw, isn't ranked by any recruiting service, and his HS stats don't exactly pop out at you.

I am in no way downing Eke.  I love that we have him.  He is exactly the type of dude you see on a mid to low major team team as junior or senior and say - how in the world did they get that guy?  I have no doubt he'll be very good before his MU career is over, but I am not sure how much he is going to produce as a freshman.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »

I'm excited about Ike. Think he has crazy high upside because of what you described. But I don't think he will put it all together next year. He might never put it all together as long as the demotivator is coaching him!

National scouts rank him in mid 300s. Local scouts didn't even list him as a top 10 player in the state (note, includes all classes, not just SR class). There are surprises in every class but I can't think of any kids who were ranked this low and made as much of an impact on a top 50 team their freshman year that you seem to think Eke will give us in his first year.

I think you are extremely underestimating Froling as well. Big man with his shooting touch? He has already proven that he can play meaningful minutes on a top team. He was the second guy off the bench for a top 25 SMU team. Give him a year to get in shape and practice with the team? I think he ends up being a major contributor, probably even a starter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Under Wojo, we are not going to see PGs who can't shoot.  It's combo guards all the way.

We have. (Traci)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
We have. (Traci)

Compared to his predecessor, Traci was a friggin marksman.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
At least you aren't keeping us guessing on who your new obsession is with the matriculation of JJJ
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »

Are you describing Ike or Mbao?  Ike has a lot to learn and apply at a high level.  But he has the tools which can't be taught.  Now to learn how to use the tools at a high consistent level.  If he has the dedication and motivation to work hard all year round... great things could be in store for him in the future.  It sounds like he does, and that is why Wojo went after him early.