[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65521 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
The lack of concern for PGs is really troubling.  When can Traci grad transfer back?

We have Howard and Rowsey next year.  Don't need Carter.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
Gard hired Mrs Hauser as an assistant coach this morning.

What's Badger Maniac, Red Foreman and Company saying about taking Joey's PG as a walk on?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
Gard hired Mrs Hauser as an assistant coach this morning.

Who got Gardled?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
Ya we had Otule for 6 years. He played every single year. The 5 year clock is wonky.

Very simple and plain vanilla curcumstances surrounding Otule. He was clearly eligible for a 5-year waiver and medical hardship waivers.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
So let me ask this question to those of you who are never happy about anything. 

Should we have told Morrow to go to Xavier simply because we're running a little thin at guard following Rowsey's graduation after the upcoming season?  Really? 

God forbid that we only have until Fall '18 to bolster that position either via the play of Hanni, Elliott or via a new addition either in the coveted Joey slot (if he decides to go elsewhere) or an opening when next year's 11th man decides he'd maximize his prospects elsewhere thereby creating a new slot.  Remember, that guy could easily be a grad transfer one year from now especially if minutes are immediately available.

And in the off chance that somehow Wojo totally runs out of scholarships because everything perfectly falls into place, do you really think he'll sacrifice the program before he quietly encourages the last man on the team to find a better fit at UW-GB or Bradley?

I think he's got a handle on this situation. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »
Yes, but the end of the 2005 season and Western Michigan game were far more troubling to me.  #guardsgame
Or when Jerel got hurt.  Or DJ.  Or Vander left early leading to Derrick and Jake.  I am glad MU has enough size.  Get some guards.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2017, 08:57:04 AM »
Lolllllll
Thank God this is coming from Nate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »

Should we have told Morrow to go to Xavier simply because we're running a little thin at guard following Rowsey's graduation after the upcoming season?  Really? 

God forbid that we only have until Fall '18 to bolster that position either via the play of Hanni, Elliott or via a new addition either in the coveted Joey slot (if he decides to go elsewhere) or an opening when next year's 11th man decides he'd maximize his prospects elsewhere thereby creating a new slot.  Remember, that guy could easily be a grad transfer one year from now especially if minutes are immediately available.

And in the off chance that somehow Wojo totally runs out of scholarships because everything perfectly falls into place, do you really think he'll sacrifice the program before he quietly encourages the last man on the team to find a better fit at UW-GB or Bradley?

The Scooper hand-wrigers are always going to hand-wring.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »

+1

First people complain we're too guard-oriented.  Now they complain we'll be too light on guards. 

I'm pretty sure Wojo, Nelson, Diener et al understand the importance of having good guards ( ;)), and are doing what they can to balance the roster as well as possible.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »
Seriously, when's the last time we've had a more balanced roster?  Off the top of my head the last time I can think of was the 2003 Final Four team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
Nebraska?  I thought we were done with jucos?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »

We have Howard and Rowsey next year.  Don't need Carter.

You see I am older than you, I can remember back to watching MU trying to bring the ball up in 2017 so I get nervous about the PG position.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
You see I am older than you, I can remember back to watching MU trying to bring the ball up in 2017 so I get nervous about the PG position.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
The lack of concern for PGs is really troubling.  When can Traci grad transfer back?

Part of the reason may be that we have one of the best PGs in the country that doesn't exactly have an NBA body. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »

This. It will take care of itself. Landing Morrow is great news.  The 18-19 and 19-20 roster will take care of itself. 

For now, we still have 1 to play with for next season, but it does appear that will be banked for now. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
Part of the reason may be that we have one of the best PGs in the country that doesn't exactly have an NBA body.

We have one of the best guards in the country.  We still need a point. 

I like the Morrow signing.  I love the current incoming class.  I'm not worried about Joey; room is always found if room is needed.  I just think we're thin at point. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »

Post of the day, glow. Nicely stated!

I am thrilled that Wojo was aggressive and proactive, and he beat our rivals (and others) for Morrow.

There is plenty of time to address the 2018-19 PG needs.

Peeps need to chill, though I know that isn't the Scoop way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19305090/nebraska-cornhuskers-transfer-ed-morrow-transfer-marquette-golden-eagles

One quote stood out to me:

"Coach Wojo had something called the Ed Morrow Blueprint," Morrow said...  When I got to pick their brains, there was just so much stuff they said that I was looking for. Their role for me was just developing. Getting better. I see myself getting better there.

Kind of sounds like that article that got posted here a while back about how Gonzaga uses the redshirt year to sell transfers on the school.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
I'm thinking that Elliott was brought in to be a PG. Remember, both Wojo and Duke prefers combo guards to "traditional" PGs.

Still, would love to nab Grimes along with Joey just to remove all concern.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »
We have one of the best guards in the country.  We still need a point. 

I like the Morrow signing.  I love the current incoming class.  I'm not worried about Joey; room is always found if room is needed.  I just think we're thin at point.

Ehh. Howard is our point guard.  If there is one dude on the team I don't want to erk by bringing in top tier talent at his position, its Howard. 

I am not against a PG in the 18-19 class at all (Grimes would be fantastic). I also wanted some of the available freshman / sophomore PG transfers to come to MU as well.  But I just don't think its a super duper priority, especially with Elliot in the fold now. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Under Wojo, we are not going to see PGs who can't shoot.  It's combo guards all the way.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
Under Wojo, we are not going to see PGs who can't shoot.  It's combo guards all the way.

I'm all for point guards who can shoot.  I love Travis & Hutch.  I just hope they can also handle the basketball.  Saying someone's a combo guard implies they can handle pressure.  That's where I worry about us right now. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm all for point guards who can shoot.  I love Travis & Hutch.  I just hope they can also handle the basketball.  Saying someone's a combo guard implies they can handle pressure.  That's where I worry about us right now.

We actually handled the press very well last year. Low TO rate in press situations. We're just fans so the times we didn't handle it stand out in our minds. We didn't make opponents pay for pressing us very often, but its not like we fell apart and turned the ball over left and right.
TAMU

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
I think the PGs role is a bit overrated when breaking the press. Our best weapons on the press last year, in my opinion, were Sam and Katin. Both did a good job of getting to the middle and passing or dribbling across half.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
We actually handled the press very well last year. Low TO rate in press situations. We're just fans so the times we didn't handle it stand out in our minds. We didn't make opponents pay for pressing us very often, but its not like we fell apart and turned the ball over left and right.

Yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson