Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John thread  (Read 22814 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Theo John thread.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
We want, need Theo.  Do we want McKinley Wright?????
Hell no
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
Has gotten into foul trouble a lot in HS games, but a ton of it is weird/(b.s.) calls vs. him trying to block shots. He's got great blocking skill.. length, timing... will be nice to add that to the roster.

Wades mentioned it and I absolutely agree but Jay Bee, could you see Theo being a Jordan Bell type a couple years down the road?  Maybe wouldn't have the ceiling athletically Bell does now but he looks like that kind of player.

Also, I noticed in a couple of your clips (thanks by the way) that Theo hedges ball screens better than Luke did.  At least, he anticipated the drive and dropped back early enough to swat Jones or whomever was driving.  Would that be an accurate assessment or are we looking at four more years of dumb fouls due to lazy hedging?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
Wades mentioned it and I absolutely agree but Jay Bee, could you see Theo being a Jordan Bell type a couple years down the road?  Maybe wouldn't have the ceiling athletically Bell does now but he looks like that kind of player.

Also, I noticed in a couple of your clips (thanks by the way) that Theo hedges ball screens better than Luke did.  At least, he anticipated the drive and dropped back early enough to swat Jones or whomever was driving.  Would that be an accurate assessment or are we looking at four more years of dumb fouls due to lazy hedging?

Agrees on him being better than Luke defensively in most areas. Not sure on Bell.. he's a weird one. I could see Theo's freshman year looking similar to Bell's, though.. low-usage, but strong rebounding, block%.

I always go back to Faisal as my comp for him.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Wasn't Faisal 6'7?     So, Faisal, but taller?    And I am totally OK with that, if he makes his free throws.   ;)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Wasn't Faisal 6'7?     So, Faisal, but taller?    And I am totally OK with that, if he makes his free throws.   ;)

Yes.. what I've always said is Faisal +2 inches.

Theo was a perfect 4/4 from the line last night. His team also shot a higher FT% than Apple Valley last night. Unfortunately, #FTsNoMatta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
If TJ turns out to be a 6'9 Faisal, strong defense, rebounding, shotblocking, presence, with the ability to run the floor, put in the dump offs from guards and the putbacks, I will be happy.    If he does all that and develops a few reliable offensive moves along the way, I will be ecstatic. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Next year will certainly be interesting, and John and Cain are probably two of the guys I'm most interested in. Thus far, Wojo has had two significantly impactful freshmen each of his first two years. Not sure if that will be the case this year, but I could see either John and/or Cain being able to make major contributions. Maybe not providing the kind of scoring we have seen with Howard, Ellenson, Haanif, and Hauser, but on the rebounding and defensive end.

I do think next year is the most important of Wojo's four thus far. We need to start seeing improvement on the defensive end. Another year in the system for Howard and Hauser, guys like Anim, Cheatham, and Heldt should be fairly comfortable by now, and lots of length coming in. The pieces are there, the question will be if Wojo can implement an effective and efficient defensive strategy. We don't need top-25, but it has to start becoming respectable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
Next year will certainly be interesting, and John and Cain are probably two of the guys I'm most interested in. Thus far, Wojo has had two significantly impactful freshmen each of his first two years. Not sure if that will be the case this year, but I could see either John and/or Cain being able to make major contributions. Maybe not providing the kind of scoring we have seen with Howard, Ellenson, Haanif, and Hauser, but on the rebounding and defensive end.

I do think next year is the most important of Wojo's four thus far. We need to start seeing improvement on the defensive end. Another year in the system for Howard and Hauser, guys like Anim, Cheatham, and Heldt should be fairly comfortable by now, and lots of length coming in. The pieces are there, the question will be if Wojo can implement an effective and efficient defensive strategy. We don't need top-25, but it has to start becoming respectable.

Agreed. We really need to add a few bodies, and at least 1 of the impactful nature, for me to be optimistic that we can be better next year than this year. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but this is the year we need Wojo to land a top tier grad transfer.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
The most important season is the next one #wadesworldwisdom
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
It will be awesome if Theo ends up being Faisal + 2 inches.

Hopefully he can shoot FTs a little better though.  Even though - I know, I know - FTs no matta.....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
It will be awesome if Theo ends up being Faisal + 2 inches.

Hopefully he can shoot FTs a little better though.  Even though - I know, I know - FTs no matta.....
well, Nigel Hayes' FTs in OT did matter  on Friday night.  Even the last one he made....   ;)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
I see Wojo's preferred offense being four guys that can shoot and move the ball with a low usage 5 that can finish dump offs and keep the ball alive on rebounds. On defense the center would be a rim protector and quick enough to aggressively hedge. I think John and Eke fit the mold of this.

This is purely eye test, but I don't know if our offense really missed a beat while Heldt was in. I know Luke was very efficient, but it seemed to bog the offense down a bit dumping it in to him to back down. Also, it was always deflating when he missed (stupid autocorrect). Again, purely eye test, so if someone has stats to contradict, I wouldn't be surprised.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:39:08 PM by cheebs09 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
I see Wojo's preferred offense being four guys that can shoot and move the ball with a low usage 5 that can finish dump offs and keep the ball alive on rebounds. On defense the center would be a rim protector and quick enough to aggressively hedge. I think John and Eke fit the mold of this.

This is purely eye test, but I don't know if our offense really missed a beat while Heldt was in. I know Luke was very efficient, but it seemed to bog the offense down a bit dumping it in to him to back down. Also, it was always deflating when he kissed. Again, purely eye test, so if someone has stats to contradict, I wouldn't be surprised.

I think that was Wojo's preferred offense because that was best suited to his players this season. With Fischer and Heldt the only true bigs, there wasn't much choice in the matter. Things looked different last season, with Fischer and Ellenson on the court at the same time (I know Henry got a lot of flak - perhaps deservedly - for tossing up too many 3s, but in reality less than a quarter of his attempts were from behind the arc).
So, I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't necessarily count on MU's lineup going forward being four shooters and a pivot. If Wojo can find a second post player who can present even a little bit of an offensive threat, I think he'd be happy to run him out there to offer another rebounder and rim protector.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

Also, it was always deflating when he kissed.

So you weren't a fan of the senior day proposal, huh.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
So you weren't a fan of the senior day proposal, huh.

She's a succubus, I tell ya!

Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »
I think that was Wojo's preferred offense because that was best suited to his players this season. With Fischer and Heldt the only true bigs, there wasn't much choice in the matter. Things looked different last season, with Fischer and Ellenson on the court at the same time (I know Henry got a lot of flak - perhaps deservedly - for tossing up too many 3s, but in reality less than a quarter of his attempts were from behind the arc).
So, I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't necessarily count on MU's lineup going forward being four shooters and a pivot. If Wojo can find a second post player who can present even a little bit of an offensive threat, I think he'd be happy to run him out there to offer another rebounder and rim protector.
Think will be similar with Froling / Theo
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Like the this plus we are getting new young fans
https://twitter.com/theojohn123/status/845878485147095040
Goal is National Championship

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
Ya must have more contacts dan Bausch and Lomb.

Doc

The new Ganzer?

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
Theo John is going to be an important part of the success of MU going forward. The kid has an incredible work  ethic. He is the kind of tough and athletic big we have needed for a long time.

I am even more excited about Theo than I am about Kostas, which tells you my level of enthusiasm for John is high.

The last clause of your last sentence was completely unnecessary.  Believe me, we would have gotten there on our own.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »
Great footwork and body control- very natural!  He's ready bababy, just has to learn the NCAA game and he will be fine, but ready he is.  I can tell by the way he moves, court awareness, etc. let's keep him for 3 years
don't...don't don't don't don't

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
I really like what I see in him. Looking forward to see who else Wojo can bring in.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
Great footwork and body control- very natural!  He's ready bababy, just has to learn the NCAA game and he will be fine, but ready he is.  I can tell by the way he moves, court awareness, etc. let's keep him for 3 years

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
Much of next season rests on Froling in my opinion.  We need him to step in and be close to as good as Luke quickly.  I know that's asking a bit but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities based on what I've heard about him.  I think Theo will contribute but I want to see him as our 4 splitting time with Sam and probably playing the 5 a bit too.  Not sure if Eke will be ready to contribute anything. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
Much of next season rests on Froling in my opinion.  We need him to step in and be close to as good as Luke quickly.  I know that's asking a bit but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities based on what I've heard about him.  I think Theo will contribute but I want to see him as our 4 splitting time with Sam and probably playing the 5 a bit too.  Not sure if Eke will be ready to contribute anything.
But, he will miss the meat of the NC schedule as he won't be eligible until after the 1st semester.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »

Froling is going to be huge for us (one way or the other), but he isn't really a 5.  I actually think Froling will play the 4, and Matt/Theo at the 5.  Froling will get some time at the 5 when he we go 4 guard sets, but he is much more Ellenson-lite type player than Luke type player.

This also depends on if we bring in a grad transfer big. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.