[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo John thread  (Read 22822 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Theo John thread.
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »
I think Matt will surprise a lot of people next year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
Agreed. We really need to add a few bodies, and at least 1 of the impactful nature, for me to be optimistic that we can be better next year than this year. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but this is the year we need Wojo to land a top tier grad transfer.

Who do you want to be forced out of the lineup next year?  Howard?  Hauser?  Froling?  Let's keep Cain buried deep on that bench!  Yeah!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
I think that was Wojo's preferred offense because that was best suited to his players this season. With Fischer and Heldt the only true bigs, there wasn't much choice in the matter. Things looked different last season, with Fischer and Ellenson on the court at the same time (I know Henry got a lot of flak - perhaps deservedly - for tossing up too many 3s, but in reality less than a quarter of his attempts were from behind the arc).
So, I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't necessarily count on MU's lineup going forward being four shooters and a pivot. If Wojo can find a second post player who can present even a little bit of an offensive threat, I think he'd be happy to run him out there to offer another rebounder and rim protector.

Isn't that Froling?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 11:48:47 AM »
Who do you want to be forced out of the lineup next year?  Howard?  Hauser?  Froling?  Let's keep Cain buried deep on that bench!  Yeah!

Dude, we have 3 open scholarships.  This team badly needs a do it all wing.  A front court player wouldn't hurt either. 

Burning anything more than 1 scholarship would be idiotic. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
I think Matt will surprise a lot of people next year.

Yep. He showed a great deal of promise at the end of the year. Next year will be a true test as to how a team comes together, as next year MUBB has theoretically the pieces it needs to form a complete team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
Dude, we have 3 open scholarships.  This team badly needs a do it all wing.  A front court player wouldn't hurt either. 

Burning anything more than 1 scholarship would be idiotic.

I get what you're saying, but I think its time to build with freshmen and give up on the quick fixes, except when the unexpected leaves a hole in the starting lineup.  I'm willing to let Hauser and Cain handle it on the wing and have some faith that Haanif will rebound strong.  I'd hate to lose one or more of them to accomodate a one year fix.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
Isn't that Froling?

Perhaps? I don't think anyone has seen enough of him to say.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Perhaps? I don't think anyone has seen enough of him to say.
He would seem more of an Ellenson type
Goal is National Championship

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
I get what you're saying, but I think its time to build with freshmen and give up on the quick fixes, except when the unexpected leaves a hole in the starting lineup.  I'm willing to let Hauser and Cain handle it on the wing and have some faith that Haanif will rebound strong.  I'd hate to lose one or more of them to accomodate a one year fix.

Right now our roster looks like this:

PG: Howard / Rowsey
SG: Cheatham / Anim
SF: Hauser / Cain
PF: John / Froling (when eligible)
C: Heldt / Eke (would be ideal RS)

We are dangerously thin. We are a couple injuries away from being pretty bad. I am all for grabbing a top tier traditional transfer with 1 of 3 so that won't jam up the rotation, and a freshman with another, but it is pretty damn clear to me that this team needs another wing of the impactful variety, and another front court player would be ideal. 

Look, I am all for keeping everyone around.  But I'd rather win.  If recruiting top tier high major talent results in other guys leaving, so be it.  That said, Hauser is going no where.  Cain is going to get his PT, but he is a freshman.  Hanni is on of my favorite players on the team, but he is bit of wildcard right now.  That said, he seems like a smart enough guy to not mid year transfer his junior year.  I'm just not that worried about it, but I am worried about us being not very deep, and frankly, outside of Rowsey, Howard and Hauser, not that good. We need some more talent. 

Plus, you have to also consider the fact that we only have 1 senior next year, and his scholarship is already taken by Bailey.  So we kind of need at least 1 grad transfer to open a spot for Joey, and 2 wouldn't be the worst idea.

I don't worry about feelings getting hurt.  This is big time college basketball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »

You're assuming a grad player in means a young player out. Grad transfer is a one year deal and if there is a player on the roster who isn't as talented as a grad transfer and they want to transfer because of that one year roadblock...probably for the best.

Besides, Wojo has demonstrated an ability to manage playing time and ego with players. Katin got significantly less PT and emphasis on the offensive end than I would have thought going in to the season. So what says that can't happen again?

I've learned a lot in life, one of those things is to strike while the iron is hot and let the future figure itself out. If a grad transfer helps us win now, do it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Right now our roster looks like this:

PG: Howard / Rowsey
SG: Cheatham / Anim
SF: Hauser / Cain
PF: John / Froling (when eligible)
C: Heldt / Eke (would be ideal RS)

We are dangerously thin. A couple injuries are we are going to be pretty bad. I am all for grabbing a top tier traditional transfer with 1 of 3 so that won't jam up the rotation, and a freshman with another, but it is pretty damn clear to me that this team needs another wing of the impactful variety, and another front court player would be ideal. 

Look, I am all for keeping everyone around.  But I'd rather win.  If recruiting top tier high major talent results in other guys leaving, so be it.  That said, Hauser is going no where.  Cain is going to get his PT, but he is a freshman.  Hanni is on of my favorite players on the team, but he is bit of wildcard right now.  That said, he seems like a smart enough guy to not mid year transfer his junior year.  I'm just not that worried about it, but I am worried about us being not very deep, and frankly, outside of Rowsey, Howard and Hauser, not that good. We need some more talent. 

Plus, you have to also consider the fact that we only have 1 senior next year, and his scholarship is already taken by Bailey.  So we kind of need at least 1 grad transfer to open a spot for Joey, and 2 wouldn't be the worst idea.

I don't worry about feelings getting hurt.  This is big time college basketball.

I think they can only use one of the 3 on a longer than one year player. We only have one open scholarship after this season(Rowsey) and we have one commit(Bailey), but Joey Hauser is a near must get so you have to have an open schollie for him...meaning someone has to be off the team next year or we have a one and done player/banked scholarship. That leaves a class of 2 for 2018, for balance probably should be 3 and one of them needs to be a PG.

So I think of the one scholarship is used on a traditional transfer or decommit from another school, one is used on a grad transfer and then one is banked or used on another grad transfer.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
I think they can only use one of the 3 on a longer than one year player. We only have one open scholarship after this season(Rowsey) and we have one commit(Bailey), but Joey Hauser is a near must get so you have to have an open schollie for him...meaning someone has to be off the team next year or we have a one and done player/banked scholarship. That leaves a class of 2 for 2018, for balance probably should be 3 and one of them needs to be a PG.

So I think of the one scholarship is used on a traditional transfer or decommit from another school, one is used on a grad transfer and then one is banked or used on another grad transfer.

Pretty much what I said.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
I see Wojo's preferred offense being four guys that can shoot and move the ball with a low usage 5 that can finish dump offs and keep the ball alive on rebounds. On defense the center would be a rim protector and quick enough to aggressively hedge. I think John and Eke fit the mold of this.

This is purely eye test, but I don't know if our offense really missed a beat while Heldt was in. I know Luke was very efficient, but it seemed to bog the offense down a bit dumping it in to him to back down. Also, it was always deflating when he missed (stupid autocorrect). Again, purely eye test, so if someone has stats to contradict, I wouldn't be surprised.

Concern isn't on the offensive side, Wojo's offense has adapted every season he's been here....defense has not been as flexible with this past season being a dumpster fire. I think Wojo is looking for perimeter pressure and big's who rim protect/recover on defense....and to do that you need some combination of quickness and length.

IF Theo is a rim protector type and quick recovery on P&Gs I think you could see a lot of line-ups with Theo at the 5 and Froling at the 4. Think St John's defensive type/strategy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
Pretty much what I said.

I was mostly repeating for the cheap seats

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »
I know when I'm out voted.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »

Well because you're wrong.  Not filling your scholarships because you're scared what your current players might think is a big step towards becoming a terrible basketball program.   

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »

Right on!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Well because you're wrong.  Not filling your scholarships because you're scared what your current players might think is a big step towards becoming a terrible basketball program.

I agree for the most part. But at the same time, there is no way in hell that Marquette is recruiting a PG unless he will be a year behind Markus or he will be noticeably behind Markus on the depth chart. Markus' goal is to make the NBA and the only way to do that is if he plays PG. If for some reason his way was blocked at PG, I would bet a lot of money that he would transfer. So even if you could potentially get a better PG, why spend your energy there when there are bigger holes to fill?

To clarify, I'm just giving an example where it would be prudent to take into account the thoughts of your current players when recruiting a new player. Based on what I know know, wing is a weak point on the team next season so I am all for recruiting a wing grad transfer this offseason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
I agree for the most part. But at the same time, there is no way in hell that Marquette is recruiting a PG unless he will be a year behind Markus or he will be noticeably behind Markus on the depth chart. Markus' goal is to make the NBA and the only way to do that is if he plays PG. If for some reason his way was blocked at PG, I would bet a lot of money that he would transfer. So even if you could potentially get a better PG, why spend your energy there when there are bigger holes to fill?

To clarify, I'm just giving an example where it would be prudent to take into account the thoughts of your current players when recruiting a new player. Based on what I know know, wing is a weak point on the team next season so I am all for recruiting a wing grad transfer this offseason.

Sure.  I don't anticipate us finding someone that is going to make Markus our backup PG. We do, however, need to find a PG for 2018 because Markus will be the only one on the roster after next season, and frankly, we should have a backup plan in case he explodes and goes pro after his sophomore year. 

Edit: furthermore, Markus transferring because he got moved off the ball isn't going to help his NBA prospects.  One of the best things he has going for him NBA-wise is he is a year younger than everyone in his class.  Sitting out a year doesn't help that.  But again, I don't see any realistic scenario in which Markus isn't playing 25+ MPG the next three seasons (short of him going pro).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:38:39 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
Right on!

I think you are all forgetting the 2018 recruiting year.   Lets say they have 4 scholarships open for 2018.  Bailey, Hauser, Williams and Thomas are all MU recruits
that are serious to come to MU.  If that is the case, no transfers and yes a grad student or two is possible.  If Elliott comes that only leaves 3 of the above group
and really 2 since Bailey already signed a letter of intent.  Yes, next year will be good, not great.  But after next year there will be full roster for a change which would
be good.  And this is not discussing another point guard, that they might need.  That will really give you 11 new faces, transfers out of that group, doubt it.  Cheatham
and Heldt the last 2.  Roster is evolving, looks good in 2018 and moving forward.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
Sure.  I don't anticipate us finding someone that is going to make Markus our backup PG. We do, however, need to find a PG for 2018 because Markus will be the only one on the roster after next season, and frankly, we should have a backup plan in case he explodes and goes pro after his sophomore year.

That is why getting a PG in the 2018 class or via traditional transfer (that ends up a year behind Markus or more) is a top priority for the coaching staff.

Edit: furthermore, Markus transferring because he got moved off the ball isn't going to help his NBA prospects.  One of the best things he has going for him NBA-wise is he is a year younger than everyone in his class.  Sitting out a year doesn't help that.  But again, I don't see any realistic scenario in which Markus isn't playing 25+ MPG the next three seasons (short of him going pro).

The only way Markus makes the NBA is as a PG, no matter his age. If he was moved off the ball, I am confident that he would either go pro immediately or transfer somewhere that would allow him to play on the ball. Don't mistake me, Markus (and the rest of the team) love Wojo and Marquette. But their top priority is to make it professionally. Any player would do what was necessary to advance that goal.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
That is why getting a PG in the 2018 class or via traditional transfer (that ends up a year behind Markus or more) is a top priority for the coaching staff.

The only way Markus makes the NBA is as a PG, no matter his age. If he was moved off the ball, I am confident that he would either go pro immediately or transfer somewhere that would allow him to play on the ball. Don't mistake me, Markus (and the rest of the team) love Wojo and Marquette. But their top priority is to make it professionally. Any player would do what was necessary to advance that goal.

I agree with all of this. We're on the same page. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
I agree with all of this. We're on the same page.

I would worry about Markus leaving in 2 years.  He is going nowhere next year, and the following year maybe.  Quickness and ball handling and passing take
time to improve on.  It would be nice for him to grow an inch as well.  Watched Monte Morris, now that kid is skinny but really quick.  If you are small in the NBA,
you better be quick.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »

Now why'd ya have to go for rubbing my nose in it when I was trying to be gracious? 

No, always opting for a quick fix instead of building with guys you can develop within your system over four years is the way to become a terrible basketball program.

Why don't you sell us all on what a brillent move it was for Georgetown to bring Rodney Pryor in for a grad transfer year?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:46:50 PM by 4everCrean »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Now why'd ya have to go for rubbing my nose in it when I was trying to be gracious? 

No, always opting for a quick fix instead of building with guys you can develop within your system over four years is the way to become a terrible basketball program.

Why don't you sell us all on what a huge step forward it was for Georgetown to bring Rodney Pryor in for a grad transfer year?

Rodney Pryor was the least of Georgetown's issues (well, maybe 2nd least outside of LJ Peak).

So you suggest going into next year with 10 scholarship players (1 of which is ineligible for 40% of the season), and just see what happens!  Sounds brilliant. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:52:06 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »