'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 43422 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: Duane
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
I know someone answered Lewis and Poole, which is def true. But the funny story with Lucas is that he is not an Ike guy even though he is a city guy. He is a Milwaukee Spartan guy -- and guess who else is a Spartan guy -- Matt Heldt. They are long-time buds and before Howard and Rowsey, I could have seen him in an MU uni. He is small though.

Lewis and Poole are '17 guys we had no shot on, but Ike has made a huge power play on the '18 class and has almost all of the top guys not named Hauser. Herro, Curtis, Plumb, Trapp, Justice, Foster Jr., etc.

Will they get invited back to the EYBL? Did they get dropped because they couldn't field a competitive team or not enough pro-potential? 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
MPS playas no matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Reality. I think bad fit on most if not all, but when we "messed with" Duane, we went at the king's son. Having a bad experience with one guy, say McKay or Burton, in itself would be seen as normal (I know McKay was not a Wojo guy but he is a city kid who left MU). But there are bad experiences with ALL of Ike's guys recently. My general point is that the city doesn't have much love for the MU brand right now, or in the immediate future.

May be Ike's da won wit da problem, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
MKE, PHI and CHI dried up. MINNE and DET opened up. Can Wojo afford to be shut out close to home?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
Will they get invited back to the EYBL? Did they get dropped because they couldn't field a competitive team or not enough pro-potential?
I thought they were dead in the water, then Ike pulled a real coup a few months ago. First he got Herro to leave McCabe and Playground Warriors, then the 4 best guys on that team followed, including Trapp, the 7' 2" center from MN (MU recruit I believe - not a fan, i.e. Rod Gross). Then he got Carlos Curtis of Riverside to leave United and they tried to get Keontae White of MKE Hamilton (I think he committed initially, but has since rescinded). Then he kept the best 3 or 4 of players on the existing Playground Elite team including Greg Foster's kid. They also added DTA's best player, 6' 8" Bilal Shabbaz from Pius. They have too many guys in my opinion, but headlined by Herro, they will be decent. And because of the stars on this team, they are in the EYBL. I fully expect this team to blow up at some point like they all do because of egos and PT, lol.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »

Wouldn't disagree. Normally, a kid not getting the time he and his dad think he deserves just accepts it or transfers and it's over. This ain't that.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »

Is this English?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »
The Ike thing seems to be something completely out of our control. Presumably, Wojo set the lineups and minutes according to how he believed the team could best win games.  He may have been right, he may have been wrong, but what this proves is that Wojo is an independent guy - not influenced by players' parents or HS coaches.  I'm sorry Duane's dad didn't think he was treated fairly, but to my view Wojo ran a merit-based system.  It's unfortunate that Ike cannot see that his son was not as talented as others on the team and instead has decided to proclaim that Duane was "screwed over," and thus has decided to poison the minds of young basketball players who look to him for advice on their future playing careers.  I think Wojo can develop a much wider recruiting base - maybe even national - and if Marquette performs, pretty soon young players will no longer listen to Ike.  Overall, I would say that Ike raised a son with exceptional character.  Holding grudges is pretty petty in the grand scheme of things.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
The Ike thing seems to be something completely out of our control. Presumably, Wojo set the lineups and minutes according to how he believed the team could best win games.  He may have been right, he may have been wrong, but what this proves is that Wojo is an independent guy - not influenced by players' parents or HS coaches.  I'm sorry Duane's dad didn't think he was treated fairly, but to my view Wojo ran a merit-based system.  It's unfortunate that Ike cannot see that his son was not as talented as others on the team and instead has decided to proclaim that Duane was "screwed over," and thus has decided to poison the minds of young basketball players who look to him for advice on their future playing careers.  I think Wojo can develop a much wider recruiting base - maybe even national - and if Marquette performs, pretty soon young players will no longer listen to Ike.  Overall, I would say that Ike raised a son with exceptional character.  Holding grudges is pretty petty in the grand scheme of things.

This.  Coaches at programs have so many things to worry about.  While keeping all pipelines and avenues open is ideal, someone is going to be mad about playing time or how a kid is being used.

It's a shame it comes to this, but sadly, it happens in a lot of places. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »
Well, it's a good thing Tim Maymon doesn't run an AAU program.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »
I thought they were dead in the water, then Ike pulled a real coup a few months ago. First he got Herro to leave McCabe and Playground Warriors, then the 4 best guys on that team followed, including Trapp, the 7' 2" center from MN (MU recruit I believe - not a fan, i.e. Rod Gross). Then he got Carlos Curtis of Riverside to leave United and they tried to get Keontae White of MKE Hamilton (I think he committed initially, but has since rescinded). Then he kept the best 3 or 4 of players on the existing Playground Elite team including Greg Foster's kid. They also added DTA's best player, 6' 8" Bilal Shabbaz from Pius. They have too many guys in my opinion, but headlined by Herro, they will be decent. And because of the stars on this team, they are in the EYBL. I fully expect this team to blow up at some point like they all do because of egos and PT, lol.
My friend is on the 16u team and he said Mccabe is still on Playground warriors but Nobal Days from Racine Park? is playing with them

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »

Nonsense! Holding a grudge against a coach that isn't the initial guy you recruited to and ignoring the fact that you simply aren't as talented as the younger guys makes perfect sense!

More seriously I wonder what was going through Ike's head when his son was actually getting aggressive late in the season and kept finishing short or getting blocked. Think it was a moment of reality or does he still live in his own little world
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
Is it really that unfathomable that a parent thinks his kid should be getting more playing time and is looking to better his options? Good for Duane. He stuck it out for 4 years, worked hard, never publicly put anybody down, and earned the right to explore his options. Congratulations on getting your degree from Marquette and best of luck in the last year of your college basketball career.

Whether Ike is bashing MU or not really isn't a huge deal, nor is it important. My guess is Wojo was only overly interested in Herro out of that group, and I'm *fairly* confident that the reason he chose Wisconsin wasn't because Ike told him to go screw Wojo over and go to UW.

Good luck Duane. You will be missed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Because combo guards at the 1 is how you win basketball games these days.

Examples please?

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »
I am appreciative of his four years, hard work, and accepting his role with class.  He earned his degree in four years.  He would like to transfer for better opportunities.  Good for him.  Hopefully he will get half way to a Master.

I am looking forward to following his development as a point guard. Is this a huge loss? Absolutely not.  I don't think we should be upset that Wojo is recruiting players that are better then the existing players.  Hell, I will take that every single damn time.  If you throw out Howard, Rowsey, and Duane and tell me to pick two then I'm picking the snipers.  If you throw out Reinhardt, Hauser, and Cohen and say pick two then the choice is obvious!

Good luck Duane on your next stop!

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
My friend is on the 16u team and he said Mccabe is still on Playground warriors but Nobal Days from Racine Park? is playing with them
Days still has Playground Elite on his twitter and I had heard he is playing up on this EYBL team too. Forgot to mention. May have changed but his brother played for PE too. McCabe is Playground Warriors and a lot of people confuse the two teams.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
Days still has Playground Elite on his twitter and I had heard he is playing up on this EYBL team too. Forgot to mention. May have changed but his brother played for PE too. McCabe is Playground Warriors and a lot of people confuse the two teams.
Nobal goes to Park right? I just wanted to make sure i was right.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
Nobal goes to Park right? I just wanted to make sure i was right.

Yes.  I wish he was at St Cats, but admin here wasn't willing to roll out the red carpet for the older brother, so both went to public school.

FWIW the big AAU program here in Racine is Butler Elite, but aside from Caron's son JC I don't know if there's any big name recruits in that group.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »
What about a spot at a place like Bradley for Duane? Seems like the right level where he could make an impact.

He could be a star there....provided Wardle doesn't make him crap himself
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:11 PM »
C'mon man. Virtually everybody on this board believes our program is superior to sc
 Probably less about Martin compared to wojo. Point being, wojo got his ass smoked by a lesser program.

SC is a lesser program. They had a better team this season. It happens. Color me unfazed.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
SC is a lesser program. They had a better team this season. It happens. Color me unfazed.
Grating beat quite a bit the last 4 years by better and lesser teams. Color me unfazed also. Just sayin and wonderin.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:29 AM »
Grating beat quite a bit the last 4 years by better and lesser teams. Color me unfazed also. Just sayin and wonderin.

Mazos, go Tweet about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:30 AM »
Historically this is true, but it may not be going forward.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »
Historically this is true, but it may not be going forward.

Certainly possible. But keep in mind that while we just ended a three year postseason drought, they just ended a 13 year postseason drought. They also lose their starting backcourt to graduation, including their 21 point per game scorer. So my guess is that their program won't be catching ours anytime soon.
TAMU