[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 43235 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Duane
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Sorry pal
 Most on this board believe mu and Wojo are superior to Martin and sc.

I haven't seen anyone saying that. I have seen people say Martin is an a$$hole but that doesn't mean they think he can't coach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »
The guy had an awesome freshman year, and never developed further.
I think it speaks more to the talent level of the team that Wojo inherited than it does Duane.  The way that Duane unselfishly played his role the last two years is a huge credit to him. 

But one of the reasons Duane put up such big numbers his freshman year was that, well, Carlino couldn't take every shot. Likewise, the reason Duane's numbers declined in each of the last two years was primarily because Wojo keep adding more and higher level talent each year.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
Duane will go to a higher level program. GA Tech would be a nice fit. He didn't play much because we ended up having 2 of the best guards in the ncaa.

Duane is not going to a higher level program if he expects to play the majority of his minutes at point guard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
1) I wish Duane the best at his new school and with the remainder of his basketball career. He was a very underappreciated player at Marquette, both with his play on the court and with his ability to accept the different roles that he was given throughout his 3 active years.

2) Stress fractures are a tough injury and I always got the impression that Duane was never fully healthy at MU. Watch some of his HS highlights sometime. The explosiveness on display was just not the same as it was during his time at MU. He showed flashes off it but he was more like an aging NBA vet who recognized that he only had so many "explosions" in his legs on a given night.

3) Duane calling out Nigel Hayes' "broke athlete" attention grab was a thing of beauty.

4) I'm looking forward to seeing him put up big numbers at a smaller school and having Scoopers complain about Wojo "forcing him out" and Duane being what this team needs! ;)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
1) I wish Duane the best at his new school and with the remainder of his basketball career. He was a very underappreciated player at Marquette, both with his play on the court and with his ability to accept the different roles that he was given throughout his 3 active years.

2) Stress fractures are a tough injury and I always got the impression that Duane was never fully healthy at MU. Watch some of his HS highlights sometime. The explosiveness on display was just not the same as it was during his time at MU. He showed flashes off it but he was more like an aging NBA vet who recognized that he only had so many "explosions" in his legs on a given night.

3) Duane calling out Nigel Hayes' "broke athlete" attention grab was a thing of beauty.

4) I'm looking forward to seeing him put up big numbers at a smaller school and having Scoopers complain about Wojo "forcing him out" and Duane being what this team needs! ;)
+1

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »

Yep.

Seriously though regarding his hops.  I posted a video a few pages back, but he was an above the rim played in the HS.  I can't remember more than a couple dunks he had in college.  Obviously dunking over 6 foot HS Sconnies is a bit easier than high major players, but its clear that the legs he had in HS were never there with MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
Yep.

Seriously though regarding his hops.  I posted a video a few pages back, but he was an above the rim played in the HS.  I can't remember more than a couple dunks he had in college.  Obviously dunking over 6 foot HS Sconnies is a bit easier than high major players, but its clear that the legs he had in HS were never there with MU.

Yeah, a shame, cuz a player with a frame like Duane's needs supreme quickness/explosion to be a plus player at the high D1 level if he doesn't have Howard/Rowsey type shooting ability. Duane used to have it, just doesn't anymore at the same level. Even a split second slower makes all the difference. A slight step down (high mid major) and he could be a very high impact player with his experience. Hope it works out for him, he did us proud in his time at MU.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
I get the impression that Wilson will be welcome around the MU program for years to come.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
I get the impression that Wilson will be welcome around the MU program for years to come.
Why not?  He will be an MU graduate and was in the program all 4 years.  He is just moving on after graduation.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »

Hope he's on call whenever we need a swag injection

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
I think even the most ardent or optimistic Wojo supporter would agree that the player development that we were promised during the press conference and early months has been lacking.  Now maybe Duane, JJJ, Luke & Sandy weren't coachable...

Haanif regressed, Traci left. 

Heldt did appear to make nice progress.   

Next year will be interesting as it's all Wojo's guys and many will have 2+ summers in MKE.

JJJ developed quite a bit the past three years under Wojo. His player efficiency rating went from 12.7 to 20.6 this year, and his eFG from .409 to .531.
Heldt obviously improved, and even Rowsey's advanced stats are up pretty much across the board compared to his time at UNC-Asheville.
So, some guys got better, some didn't, some left.
Or, in other words, like every other team in the country.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »

I'd love to see him as Dir. of Basketball Operations in a few years, if the pro route doesn't end up being productive for him.  Hopefully, though, he can go overseas and make some dough.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:01 AM »
What about a spot at a place like Bradley for Duane? Seems like the right level where he could make an impact.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
Nothing but a class act that did everything that was asked of him.  Glad to have him represent the ranks of Marquette alumni. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
What about a spot at a place like Bradley for Duane? Seems like the right level where he could make an impact.

Agreed. Duane's best served by going to a quality MAC/MVC program where he'd have a chance to play significant minutes and perhaps get back into the postseason. I previously mentioned Illinois State, which is a strong mid-major that's close to his family and losing both its starting guards to graduation.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
I wonder if U of I would be an option for Duane. Graduated their PG, new coach probably looking to plug some gaps. Keeps him in the midwest.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
I'd love to see him as Dir. of Basketball Operations in a few years, if the pro route doesn't end up being productive for him.  Hopefully, though, he can go overseas and make some dough.

Agreed, I hope he goes overseas and squeezes every last dollar out of his playing ability then comes back and finds a role within the program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
Probably fit write inta da noon pik up games, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
Agreed, I hope he goes overseas and squeezes every last dollar out of his playing ability then comes back and finds a role within the program.
I'd love to see him back with the program in the future

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
Agreed. Duane's best served by going to a quality MAC/MVC program where he'd have a chance to play significant minutes and perhaps get back into the postseason. I previously mentioned Illinois State, which is a strong mid-major that's close to his family and losing both its starting guards to graduation.
They would also have a high chance at making the tourney next year if he would go to Illinois state.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »

Praising Wilson for his tweet under these circumstances is a real stretch.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »
I was going to give the shout out to Freeport, because I thought he was the one to guess this was coming. Nice job.
So this should officially put an end to us getting Milwaukee city high school kids for a while (it probably doesn't matter anyway at this point because Wojo has done well nationally in general). Duane exited the proper, PR 101 way, and that is good for both parties. But don't be fooled. They are not happy, they just got used to the situation and made the best of it. Kudos to Duane for his maturity and best of luck to him. But Duane and his dad (Ike) aren't going to be writing any letters of recommendation for us. They are pissed. Burton is pissed. McKay is pissed. Ellensons. Cohens. All guys coached/influenced by Ike at some point.

I saw a curious tweet from NY2LA yesterday about mentioning Duane as 3rd guy to leave (then named them) plus Wally. But no surprise, NY2LA gets a lot of dough from Wisconsin Playground Elite, and Ike is their leader. Owner of NY2LA is a big influence on local/regional kids and I've noticed he has been passive/aggressive toward MU for the last few years.

Like I stated at outset, don't know if it really matters, but thought I would share.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »
So are they pissed at Wojo or Marquette in general?  I ask because you included McKay in there, and McKay left long before Wojo got here.

Are they pissed because they felt that somehow Wojo was devious?  Used not how they wanted to be used?

In your opinion is this more perception or reality?  Which doesn't matter from their point of view of course.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Just curious, why are all of these people pissed?

Duane: better players got PT. Was he supposed to be guaranteed something?

Burton: recent article said his mother passing made it weird for him to play at BC. Wojo also had a different playing style than he was recruited to. So he left to find a better fit. Why would he be pissed at MU?

McKay: left before Wojo got here, and tweaked because he maybe had to play center, and didn't start the midnight madness scrimmage. He left to find a situation where he wouldn't have to play center, and ended up playing.... center. Why would he be pissed at MU?

Cohen: not good enough to get PT after other better players were brought in. He left to find what he thought would be a better situation where he could get PT, which ended up being a mid-major. Why would he be pissed at MU?

Ellensons: Henry was a one & done. Got tons of shots & PT, ended up in the 1st round of the NBA draft. Success. Wally got cut. I guess they'd be pissed about that, but he could have grad transferred, he just wasn't good enough to do so.

Any other reason all these people are "pissed?"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
Ellensons and Cohens arent Milwaukee either.  I get the connection you mention due to AAU, but would this extend to farther than Milwaukee kids, or only if they are Playground Elite?  Obviously thinking of Hauser, but he plays with Barnstormers.