'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 43258 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Duane
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
I think even the most ardent or optimistic Wojo supporter would agree that the player development that we were promised during the press conference and early months has been lacking.  Now maybe Duane, JJJ, Luke & Sandy weren't coachable...

Haanif regressed, Traci left. 

Heldt did appear to make nice progress.   

Next year will be interesting as it's all Wojo's guys and many will have 2+ summers in MKE.

Yeah, it seems somewhat of an Paradox, all these things being True, but the team has improved in both year 2 and year 3.  Maybe it's that the total is more than the sum of it's part.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Dropping this here from this summer. Scoop often gets the scoop as was the case today with this thread.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=48207.msg854996#msg854996

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:04 PM »
Dropping this here from this summer. Scoop often gets the scoop as was the case today with this thread.

Right.  I completely understand why he wants to leave and why he wants to play point guard.

But really I have seen nothing to indicate that he has that capability at this level.  Wojo isn't dumb.  He know what good point guards look like.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »

Right.  I completely understand why he wants to leave and why he wants to play point guard.

But really I have seen nothing to indicate that he has that capability at this level.  Wojo isn't dumb.  He know what good point guards look like.
Then how come we do not have one on this team? We just have combo guards.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
Yeah, it seems somewhat of an Paradox, all these things being True, but the team has improved in both year 2 and year 3.  Maybe it's that the total is more than the sum of it's part.

The success this year seems to be as much as anything the additions of Katin, Hauser, Rowsey and Howard.  It transformed us into a incredibly lethal 3 point shooting team.  Wojo deserves every accolade for adding 4 of the best 3 point shooters in the country.  When you stop and think about it, it truly is amazing. 

IMO the only returning player who we saw significant improvement was Heldt.  All other progress (IMO) was routine college development like we saw under Kevin, Mike, Tom & Buzz.  Much was made about player development when this regime was brought in, and to me, that's an area where I have not seen the promise fulfilled.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »

He was the leading Big East freshman scorer, under Wojo. Traci was the closest to a pure point guard Wojo recruited so far, including when he signed Nick. Wojo had the Haani experiment last year at PG, which failed. Markus and Andrew are combos, which is what Wojo prefers. I think the jury is still out as this is a hole.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:15:55 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »

We had one that would have had playing time if he stuck around.

And honestly I think the idea of a "pure point guard" (which usually means a guard who can't score) is overrated.  Combo guards who can handle the ball are just fine.  (Bronson Koenig for example.)  And regardless, Duane wasn't a "pure point guard" either.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:18:13 PM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
He was the leading Big East freshman scorer, under Wojo. Traci was the closest to a pure point guard Wojo recruited so far, including when he signed Nick. Wojo had the Haani experiment last year at PG, which failed. Markus and Andrew are combos, which is what Wojo prefers. I think the jury is still out as this is a hole.

He wasn't playing point guard as a freshman.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »
He's going to UWM---- Todd Townsend coaches for them.

That or he's going over seas to make money for the family.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »

He wasn't playing point guard as a freshman.

I misread. I thought your assertion was about playing at this level, but it was about playing PG at this level.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »

I was going to give the shout out to Freeport, because I thought he was the one to guess this was coming. Nice job.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:56 PM »
I was going to give the shout out to Freeport, because I thought he was the one to guess this was coming. Nice job.
He did.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »
Anyone else find it a little inconsiderate on Duane's part to announce this on Topper's birthday?

I mean, it couldn't wait one day?  Show some class, dude.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
I'm fine with it for all parties.  Like Duane and he was definitely embracing the 'team first' attitude, but more so by default.  Any player that goes from one of the key guys as an underclassman to a frequent bench warmer will want to play somewhere as a true starter and big minutes.  He just was not in Wojo's plan. I think he's simply eaving for a new opportunity too.  As (hilltopper, I think) said, he is making an adult decision to get a change of scenery and get playing time.  Good luck Duane.  Liked your fire and passion for MU.  But I am fine with embracing change as well.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:43 PM »
From Matt's article:
1) Wants more pkaying time and wants to play PG (was not going to happen at MU)
2) Says didn't really think about it until after the game Sat
3) Wants to play pro and knows needs to showcase his talent
4) Doing it for his son and points out they don't live in MKE, as we all thought, so being away is not an issue. The mother and his son live in Illinois and they have a friendly relationship.
Think not living with his son made made it easier. But even Matt was blindsided by the announcement.
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2017, 10:39:27 PM »
Duane will go to a higher level program. GA Tech would be a nice fit. He didn't play much because we ended up having 2 of the best guards in the ncaa.

Not really.  Neither of our guards made even the BE HM list.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
Yah, Sams days of playing anything more than spot mins at the 4 are gone, IMO. At least for sure once Froling is able to play.

We'll see about that.  If Sam develops what we saw at the end of the season (one or 2 step pull up mid range and catching it in the post, facing up, and shooting over the defender), he'll create some big time nightmares for opponents at the 4 while having already been through a year of defending the 4 in the BE.  I'll believe Froling will play the 4 when I see it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
Nice announcement by Duane.  He handled his time at MU like you would hope every student athlete would.  Worked hard, had a great attitude, contributed to the team and graduated.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
More of  with Duke Puke's BS moves. The guy had an awesome freshman year, and never developed further. That is on Wojo. Do not know what to make of this program, anymore, with many now rationalizing that Wojo will bring in somebody better. Lost several recruits when Wojo came on, lost Burton, lost Taylor, lost Cohen, now apparently Wilson, but hey Wojo finally made the dance, so everything is OK (Even though we were blown out by an inferior team and coach.)
On to next year and pray to the lord.

The same team that smoked up Duke is an inferior team and coach?  LOL!  Stay hot Mazos Burgers!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »

Because combo guards at the 1 is how you win basketball games these days.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2017, 11:46:28 PM »
Duane will go to a higher level program. GA Tech would be a nice fit. He didn't play much because we ended up having 2 of the best guards in the ncaa.

And those individuals are.....?

We didn't have one of the three or four best backcourts in the conference.  Hell, maybe not even in the top half.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:58:41 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »
Man, this news took the air out of my sails more than any MU news I can remember, but easy to see how this was the right decision for Duane. I'm looking forward to cracking back on the Superbar police next season in Duane update threads. Couldn't have asked any more from the guy and I really hope he finds an opportunity that helps springboard him to getting paid to play. The program will be worse off without him, but that's ultimately a compliment to Duane. Thanks for everything and godspeed.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
The same team that smoked up Duke is an inferior team and coach?  LOL!  Stay hot Mazos Burgers!
Sorry pal
 Most on this board believe mu and Wojo are superior to Martin and sc.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:50 AM »
Sorry pal
 Most on this board believe mu and Wojo are superior to Martin and sc.

MU yes.

Wojo not yet.

Martin has had success in the NCAAs 8-4, and was Big 12 coach of the year.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
Duane,
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.  Really enjoyed your tenure at MU and wish you great luck finding a good fit for your game for next year so you get the right exposure that will lead to a few years of professional hoops.  Great to see your class and style even as you leave the program.
Sincerely,
WarriorFan
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback