Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reinhardt! I was WAY off!  (Read 7512 times)

🏀

• All American
Reinhardt! I was WAY off!
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »

Transferring from UNLV to USC to Marquette, I thought this kid had no chance at being good here. Figured he was a typical West Coast trash bucket.

Self-proclaimed MU hater Doug Gottlieb has been KR's biggest backer,  who supported KR transferring to USC. Doug said KR was a two guard, not a wing. I didn't think KR would work out here as a wing.

Amongst other rumors, I thought this graduate transfer would ultimately hurt MU.

WRONG

Katin is freaking fantastic. KR is my favorite graduate transfer to date, sorry Carlino. He can go on a one-man scoring run, he has become a floor leader, loves to talk trash and has his teammates back on the court.

I, and the rest of Scoop should all take note that no graduate transfer should be written off early in the season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Reinhardt! I was WAY off!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
I, and the rest of Scoop should all take note that no graduate transfer should be written off early in the season.

Lockett, Carlino, Katin ... around here we have a perfect track record of writing off every grad transfer early in the season ... and we will do it to the next one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
A lot of people were wrong.  I was wrong too.

We just need to learn that grad transfers take awhile to settle in.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »

Put me in that category.
The first 5 games of the season I remember yelling NOOOOO!!! Every time he shot.

Now I can't imagine the team without him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:22:20 AM »
It would be nice if we learned these lessons, but I am skeptical that we can.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »

connie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
Wait, Scoop reacts too fast?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Three Scoopers admitting they were wrong in the same thread?

Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
The kid can play and like the previous two grad transfers I am very happy he finished career at MU. IMO, MU is three for three with the older transfers.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
I'll admit it too. I was very critical of him early on but with very good reason. His shot selection early in the season was abhorrent. He really figured things out and has been a breath of fresh air. I loved having him on this team in conference play.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
Same. I was otally wrong. @Seton Hall was the first glimpse I saw of how valuable he could be for us (even though we lost). Nova sealed that. Now when we look sluggish on either end for extended periods I'm like "we gotta get Reinhardt in the game."

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
Same here. I reallllly disliked him early in the season, said he was a chucker, didn't add anything new or different to the team. Turns out he's good and I'm wrong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
Same here. I reallllly disliked him early in the season, said he was a chucker, didn't add anything new or different to the team. Turns out he's good and I'm wrong.

He was very inefficient early on but he had a tremendous BE season with a 123 Orating with high assist and low turnover rates. He helped on the press too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
My biggest issue was that I didn't think he fit our needs. We needed a big rebounder, neither of which he is. Honestly, he's pretty much exactly what we thought. A shoot first (second and third) wing that plays decent defense. On a team with so many scoring options, that seemed like a luxury. But as he adjusted to this team, he showed that piling more offense on top of offense could also be a winning formula.

Good get by the staff, but more importantly, great job to find a way to fit another offensive option on to a team with a wealth of them. While we had the occasional off night, this team really showed that it's almost impossible to shut everyone down at the same time, and KR is a big part of that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
He certainly exceeded my expectations.  I was most impressed by his ability to hit shots when we needed them the most - like a step back 3 when the other team was making a run or a pump fake then a blow by.

The frosting was when he chose to come off the bench yesterday because he was playing well in that role and thought it was best for the team.  True leadership from a true Warrior.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
Early in the year he was a big time chucker and seemed to be a selfish player.  Didn't help that his shot was off too but he never looked to make the pass to an open teammate.  So the criticism was spot on and deserved.

This offense now plays great when it shares the ball and Katin and everyone else has bought in.  Credit goes to Wojo and his offensive adjustments.  This team will still struggle against length and against teams that can use length and quickness on the defensive end but that has to do with our current roster makeup.   

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Agree on all counts - he reminds me of another MU player - in that he makes the most difficult shots look easy - the harder the shot , the more confident it goes in - I have affectionately nicknamed Reinhardt "White Buycks"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
Gotta admit, I was a member of the same club. Wasn't a fan of Rowsey either when at first it didn't look like he could play vs. this level of opponents. Katin is a keeper, and there was a good post that showed how our results correlated with what AR did. Hope these two (and the rest of the guys) keep it going in NYC!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
Katin has really bought into the team concept, something I wasn't ever sure he would do. He is passing well, and we all know the man can shoot. He likes the bright lights, and I think he is going to be huge for us these next two weeks. Just no hero ball, Katin.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »
Put me in that category.
The first 5 games of the season I remember yelling NOOOOO!!! Every time he shot.

Now I can't imagine the team without him.

Same.  Can't help but continue to think chucker every time he has the ball.  A much more accurate chucker than he was in his early games.

Tangent, but does he, or Sam and Rowsey for that matter, develop their skills as much in one season without Wojo and staff.  Or is a lot of it gaining confidence in their skills? (Which could also be attributed to coaching)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
One of the key pieces to the team.  Willing to come off the bench and plays huge regardless.  He's Lockett all over again but even more important to this year's squad I think. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
Loved it when he announced his transfer. Loved him throughout the season. Knew he just needed time to get his shot right.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

I think I was the only person on this board that thought Katin would be one of our studs. I deserve some kind of award eh?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Katin didn't initially appreciate the fact that he had teammates that could fill it up.  Like DU, he grew nicely into an important role with an emphasis on other features of his game.  All good.