[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: YouTube TV  (Read 15421 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
YouTube TV
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »
So...for all of us OTTers, YouTube TV looks like it will have all of Fox, FS1, FS2, and CBS Sports.  Other than possibly regional fox networks, you wouldn't miss a Big East game all year!

And with the sports focused channel listing, you can catch most NCAA BBall games period.  w00t

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:31:36 PM by rocky_warrior »

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: YouTube TV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
Looks like ill be ditching VUE during basketball season.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
$35 for 40 channels ..

19 out of 40 channels are news / sports oriented, though.  Lacking a lot of the basics, like HGTV and A&E, etc.  Even CNN.

Good link:
http://www.androidcentral.com/youtube-tv-faq-all-your-questions-answered

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
19 out of 40 channels are news / sports oriented, though.  Lacking a lot of the basics, like HGTV and A&E, etc.  Even CNN.

Correct.  I think they've wisely focused on sports fans.   ;D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
Ughhhh, not available outside the US. I was actually considering throwing down the money for the next couple of months...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Ughhhh, not available outside the US. I was actually considering throwing down the money for the next couple of months...

Currently not even available in MKE, as of now only in:
1 New York, NY
2 Los Angeles, CA
3 Chicago, IL
4 Philadelphia, PA
5 Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
6 San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, CA
7 Washington DC/Maryland
8 Boston MA/NH
9 Atlanta, GA
10 Houston, TX

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Unless I am missing something, without TBS, TNT or TruTV, you will be missing most of the NCAA tournament with that package.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
Unless I am missing something, without TBS, TNT or TruTV, you will be missing most of the NCAA tournament with that package.

IT isn't coming out for a few weeks/months so the lineup isn't set in stone. I expect tbs/tnt/amc to be on this since they are on every single cable over internet packages.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »
IT isn't coming out for a few weeks/months so the lineup isn't set in stone. I expect tbs/tnt/amc to be on this since they are on every single cable over internet packages.

Ah OK.  Thanks.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »

Yes...but you can sign up for Sling or PS Vue for March.  That's the great thing about all these.  NO CONTRACTS!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
I was really liking Vue, but annoyed that I've had to "stream" the games on CBS Sports.

Dilemma - keep Vue and go to bars to watch CBS Sports or move to YouTubeTV and stay home.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
Agreed .. it was painful to stream those CBS Sports games.

We'll see what happens next season .. Vue could change, as could the CBS games.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »

Why would one need TBS, TNT and TruTV to watch the tourney if they're already watching YouTube TV?

Think about it before you answer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
Agreed .. it was painful to stream those CBS Sports games.

We'll see what happens next season .. Vue could change, as could the CBS games.

Anytime I saw cbs sports and gave out a groan. Then just traveled out to bdubs

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
Why would one need TBS, TNT and TruTV to watch the tourney if they're already watching YouTube TV?

Think about it before you answer.

Um, unless I'm not understanding your question, the answer is that NCAA streaming still requires authenticating through your provider.  If you don't have an authenticated login, CBS limits you to 4-5 hours of NCAA streaming.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
Um, unless I'm not understanding your question, the answer is that NCAA streaming still requires authenticating through your provider.  If you don't have an authenticated login, CBS limits you to 4-5 hours of NCAA streaming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/1arktc/reset_your_4_hours_of_viewing_on/

this comes in handy too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »

I don't recall ever having to authenticate.  But perhaps it's because I have cookies off or something.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
I don't recall ever having to authenticate.  But perhaps it's because I have cookies off or something.

Authenticating does happen occasionally. But only if you watch an absurd amount of it. IE for the first two days I have every game on, multiple tv's running with a few guys over. I hit the limit once and a while.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »
Authenticating does happen occasionally. But only if you watch an absurd amount of it. IE for the first two days I have every game on, multiple tv's running with a few guys over. I hit the limit once and a while.

Hm, I've hit it all the time.  Although I think all the CBS games are non-authenticated.  TBS, TNT, and TruTV games require the authentication after a few hours of watching.   Of course, I've always had a provider to authenticate with too - just mentioning that I actually had to do it!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »
Hm, I've hit it all the time.  Although I think all the CBS games are non-authenticated.  TBS, TNT, and TruTV games require the authentication after a few hours of watching.   Of course, I've always had a provider to authenticate with too - just mentioning that I actually had to do it!

If you're watching the tournament at work, like a lot of people do, most IT depts have dynamic IP addresses which would probably negate the need to authenticate. Watching from home is a different story, unless you are VPNing or doing something a little tricky like using Tor. Just a guess.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

hoopalooping here...

In case folks missed it - YouTube TV has added TBS, TNT, and TruTV in the past couple months (in addition to FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, CBSSN).  So - it's now a decent platform for NCAA tournament.  I only say "decent' because they have a 3 simultaneous stream limit.  Though I can grab CBS over the air - so not really a problem.

They also just added MLB, and NBA tv.  For more sports nirvana.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:16:40 PM by rocky_warrior »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
Anyone have experience with this? I've been looking at switching for a few months when RCN jacked our bill, but was holding off until after March because of no TNT/TBS/Tru. Probably will still wait the extra two weeks, but it'd be nice to hear someone who has actually used it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »
Anyone have experience with this? I've been looking at switching for a few months when RCN jacked our bill, but was holding off until after March because of no TNT/TBS/Tru. Probably will still wait the extra two weeks, but it'd be nice to hear someone who has actually used it.

Having the exact same issue with RCN. Looking to make the switch.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
Still not available in RST, but I'll probably switch as soon as it is.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »
I switched to YouTube TV (from Playstation Vue) last September. I'm fortunate to have locked in the $35/mo price (now increased to $40 after adding the new channels), but it's working great.  They've recently added Apple TV and Roku apps - but chromecast is a good option too (and cheap) if you don't have the others.  No Fire TV  support (probably because of the Google Amazon spat), but I guess you have to accept that.

So last night, I had 3 games going - one on my Roku TV, one from my phone cast to a monitor with chromecast, and another on my PC.  Quality is good, and they vary bit rate based on your connection speed.  When I'm on the road during MU games, I'll even stream directly on my phone (over LTE) with good results. 

Only downside (for my wife) is no HGTV...

edit: I suppose I should mention the DVR - which works great.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by rocky_warrior »